closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Dwarf X

Banned

Red Dwarf X

Just seen this advertised on Dave. I just thought it was another re-run, but couldn't place any of the bits in the trailer. Saw the ad again, and realised its a brand new series.
    Really looking forward to it - anyone else kinda excited?

PS. This was probably covered in another thread many months ago.. so apologies if it was, and a link would be appreciated if it were the case?
    Last edited by europa; 28th August 2012 at 01:49.

Would be good if it lives up to expectations but most of the time things like this are best left in the past.

Hmm, I loved Red Dwarf but it started losing the plot at around series 7 for me.

Red Dwarf V was probably their best stuff.

Master
    The Dave special was very weak, lets hope the is a return to form with this 1

Rimmer and Lister are certainly looking pretty old, the Cat a little less so.
    Actually Kryton is still looking good.

"But most importantly, the cast all look like they’re really having fun here. All have stated their preference for having a studio audience to bounce off, and early indicators are it’s a gamble that’s paying off..."

I thought the lack of studio audience on Back to Earth really did flatten what could have been an excellent production, instead it was just OK. For Red Dwarf, a laughter track, or live audience, seems to have a positive effect, whereas it had the opposite effect on the US broadcast M*A*S*H series, with the UK broadcasts being much more poignant without canned laughter.

Some programmes are compulsory regardless of anything else. This is one.

Red Dwarf!

YEOooooooooooWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!
    Heh! How am I looking?!
    looking GOOOOOOOOOOOD!

Will have to watch that, when is it starting? Anyone know?
    As stated hope its better than the back to earth special, but if the cast and crew feed off the audience then it should be Cool!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by spud View Post
    Hmm, I loved Red Dwarf but it started losing the plot at around series 7 for me.

Red Dwarf V was probably their best stuff.
    Agree there on both points (would put IV a very close second).

The eighth series was just awful - one poor idea stretched over a whole series.

The Dave revival was a bit better and at least they put a new spin on it. But for me it was gently amusing and clever rather than hilarious. Last of the Summer Smeg.

Craftsman
    Red Dwarf needed both writers, I think.

I was a big fan of Red Dwarf in the late 80's/early 90's. I think it really hit it's stride in the second series, and was very good until Grant left, after which it declined IMO. I echo other in thinking perhaps things should be left. As a rule reviving series tends not to be a good idea, especially comedies, but having said that Auf Wiedersehn, Pet was pretty good when they revived it - I'm not sure about sitcoms though.

Master
    I can't wait!

Just missed out on tickets to be in the audience for the live recordings - absolutely devastated!

For anyone who hasn't googled it, the 6 episodes are listed below. Interestingly the last one is called The Beginning, which mirrors the first episode; The End.

TITLES & SYNOPSIS.... SPOILERS???

Trojan: The crew encounter another Space Corp ship in need of assistance - captained by Rimmers younger brother Howard!

Fathers and Suns: Lister struggles to come to terms with being his own father.

Lemons: The crew are stranded on Earth in 23AD where they rescue a famous historical figure with a beard (??)

Entangled: Kryten and The Cat become 'quantum entangled', forcing them to do everything in unison.

Dear Dave: Lister becomes involved in a love triangle with snack dispensers 23 and 34.

The Beginning: The crew are surrounded by a simulant war cruiser and fleet of attack ships. Armed with two forks and a pencil sharpener, they wonder whether this will be the beginning of the end. Only one man can save them. Unfortunately that man is Arnold J Rimmer!

Hope Dwayne Dibley makes a comeback.

Quote Originally Posted by nitsy View Post
    The first one with DD is probably the best ever episode of RD - pant-wettingly funny, and clever at the same time.

Just a quick update for those that don't know:

The new series is starting this Thursday coming at 9pm on Dave.....

Master
    I have read somewhere that they are back to form in this new series so it sounds promising.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nitsy View Post
    All sounds good, lets hope Ace Rimmer can come back and smoke a kipper.

Craftsman
    I've heard it starts off a bit creaky but slowly gets back into it's groove. Let's hope so.

Master
    Big Red Dwarf fan here, but 20 years since it hit is peak so no great expectations for this one. The trailer I saw looked a bit like fanfic.

My perishing son (25 today) is home from Leamington for the weekend and has subjected us to the entire series' that are currently being re-run on "Dave". Secretly, I'm really enjoying them and agree that series four/five were the "sweet spot".

Really looking forward to watching "ten" next week. Hope senility doesn't bloody kick in again and I forget!

Yippee!

Season 3 and episodes 'marooned' and 'backwards' my all-time favourites.

I agree with robcat, the best series were the ones with both Rob Grant and Doug Naylor writing but, having said that, the bar was set so high with this, i don't think there was a poor series. Even if you toughen up and say that series VIII was it's weakest showing and Back to Earth could have been better, even they blew other contemporary comedies into the weeds. I'm really looking forward to this and the episode synopsis in the early post has my salivating in anticipation. Just remember: 'Your Father is Dad, he passed away peacefully in his Jeep.' Just don't mess with me, my guitar is made of Camphor wood!

Journeyman
    Fond memories of series 1 - 6. Watched them when they were first broadcast and then watched and re-watched when my housemate at uni bought the box sets in VHS back in the day :)

I've caught a couple of eps on Dave the past few weeks and the older eps are still as I remember them (great stuff). But the series 7/8 eps are much poorer. And although I know I watched Back to Earth...I have no idea what happened in it.

I'm going to watch, but my expectations are low.

Red Dwarf rocks! I have no problems watching re-runs of the original.

Must admit looking forward to it with equal amounts of anticipation and misgiving. There have been plenty of comebacks that shouldn't have happened, really hope this isn't one :)

The fundamental question is whether it will be Dwayne Dibley or Ace (what a guy)?
    Last edited by Matt London; 3rd October 2012 at 21:46.

Master
    I followed Dwarf in the early series ( even had a "smoke me a kipper" t shirt at one time ) but missed out on series 7 and 8, so tried to catch them on Dave.

Walked into HMV one day a year or so back and they had the 10 disc anniversary box set reduced to a tenner, so i got that and really enjoyed watching them all again plus series 7 and 8.

"Dimension jump" and "white hole" from series 4 are my 2 favourite episodes.

" Ah....so your a waffle man ".... Class !

Fingers crossed - this has got to be an improvement from the laughter-track-less specials.

Well it's not too bad. I'm enjoying at the moment

Blog Entries
    I thought it was great! Much better than I thought it was going to be. No doubt some people won't have liked it, but it could have been terrible and it wasn't.

Cat v Rimmer Moose exchange was classic Red Dwarf.

Looking forward to the rest if the series...

Rob

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Was he Swedish?

Banned
    I enjoyed it, pleasantly surprised :)

It was ok, felt Cat got all the best lines and Lister was underused.

I thought it was OK, better than the weaker episodes of the past, but nowhere near as good as the stronger ones. It will be interesting to see where it goes.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robcat View Post
    I thought it was OK, better than the weaker episodes of the past, but nowhere near as good as the stronger ones. It will be interesting to see where it goes.
    I'd go with that, did love the "Is he Swedish ?" line from Cat

It was classic Dwarf. I had the feeling they were a touch nervous; they'll have been well aware of expectations - and the price of failure. They succeeded: a thoroughly enjoyable romp as per the old series, say SVI.

Master
    Great comeback show - I'm quite sorry it's only a 6 episode season now as I know I'll be left wanting more!

"Smaller than the salad section of a Scottish supermarket"

I didn't really get the bit with Lister gambling on pig races, or the being kept on hold on the phone with the shopping channel. Are they not still 3,000,000 years in the future?
    Did someone turn over two pages at once? I feel like I missed something.

I think the Pig Racing was a recording, like Horse Racing nights at the pub. I also think that the 'being kept on hold' bit was because they came into range of a satellite broadcasting a shopping channel run by automatons who are programmed to carry out certain tasks and the fact that the human race has been wiped out for millions of years has no bearing on the matter. It betrays a thought process that, even though we have evolved to the point of space exploration and interplanetary mining, the futility of being and the human condition still allows us to attempt pointless impulse purchases and still become frustrated with being kept on hold.

I heard tell that the voice on the phone who actually talked to him (not the automated response) was originally going to be of Asian or Indian type to enforce even more the 'the more things change, the more they stay the same' contemporary viewpoint subtext but this was pulled because of possible racial undertones.

I didn't really get the bit with Lister gambling on pig races, or the being kept on hold on the phone with the shopping channel. Are they not still 3,000,000 years in the future?
    Did someone turn over two pages at once? I feel like I missed something.
    There have always been those anomalies in the series. Just ignore them and enjoy. I've patented the Stiromatic, btw. It'll be on sale from your local Alpha Centuri branch of Comets before Christmas.

Gutted, set the box to record it and it bloody didn't. It's not on catch up tv. Anyone know when the repeat is?

I used to love Red Dwarf back in the day. After seeing some of the S7 & 8 re-runs I'm worried I've grown up and grown out of it. :( Might have to take a look at X after some if the endorsements above.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
    Gutted, set the box to record it and it bloody didn't. It's not on catch up tv. Anyone know when the repeat is?

You're kidding right?
    It's a new show on DAVE, so it'll be repeated weekly if not daily for the next 200 years!

* Edit: quick look at the listings shows a rpt tomorrow (Friday) at 10pm and next Wednesday at 8.20pm. *

Just scan through the next weeks TV and I'm sure you'll find a late night or mid afternoon repeat.

Failing that I'm certain they'll run the series back-to-back after all 6 episodes have aired. And it won't matter if you miss one then catch the rest as I hear they have filmed each one as a 'stand alone', rather than an ongoing linked series.

As for the continuity, it has never really bothered me but I just thought it was odd last night with the racing thing. He lost 100 dollarpounds on the racing - to who???
    Last edited by kevkojak; 5th October 2012 at 16:46.

Cheers kevkojak,

It's cold outside, there's no sign of atmosphere...

As a Dwarfer, I had low expectations, which were pleasingly confounded. Not on a par with the best episodes of III-V but good enough to keep me watching.

Shame there was no place for Holly.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DiverMike View Post
    As a Dwarfer, I had low expectations, which were pleasingly confounded. Not on a par with the best episodes of III-V but good enough to keep me watching.

Shame there was no place for Holly.
    New ships computer introduced next week apparently.

Master
    I quite liked it but as a time-honoured Dwarf geek I'm afraid there were a few details that weren't quite consistent with the Red Dwarf universe and I wasn't thrilled with the Red Dwarf set. Still - I laughed.

I found myself chuckling most of the way through.

Hope 'norm' makes a return at some point...

Red Dwarf X

I enjoyed it much more than expected, glad to see it was sort of a return to form :)

Loved the cat/moose gag, Kryten was almost back on form and hopefully the series will find its feet a few episodes in, as is often the case.

Looking forward to the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    New ships computer introduced next week apparently.
    Saw new computer in the ad for next episode. Looks v hot.

Brighty

Quick reminder!

Episode 2 is tonight on DAVE.