closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: OUCH!

OUCH!

What should have been a gentle 40 mile ride to Bath this morning has proved to be a little more painfull than anticipated. Heading out on the cycle path, following behind a cycling buddy at a steady 12-14mph, he took a bend a little too wide and caught some mud on the edge of the track.

Back wheel goes from under him and down he goes about 10 metres in front of me...it all happened in slow motion and I thought I could avoid him, but he's a big fella wearing a fluro gillet so target fixation takes over and I hit him hard...down I go like a sack of spuds...clipped into the pedals my hip and hand takes the majority of the impact.

We rise gradually to our feet to take stock of damage, both to us and the bikes. My mates got a bloody chin, hand and hip, and looks really out of it. I suggest sitting down and having a drink, but before I know it he's back on his bike and away...concussion I think causing him not to think straight. I on the otherhand feel quite sick and dizzy so take 5 minutes sat down to recover.
    My mate's then calling me on the moby to say he's stopped about half a mile further up the road. Can't recall much but is heading back as his head is hurting.

Back to Bristol from where we set off and a quick cup of tea, we decide that he needs to go to A&E for a checkover. He was due to be doing a triathlon next Sunday but can't see that happening.

I've just got in and the bikes a little worse than I thought with damaged brake & gear levers on both sides (not sure how that happened as I went down on my right) but perhaps the bars twisted when I hit the deck.

Need a new pair of bib shorts (gutted as they were my favourite pair) and some new gloves too.

Damage to me isn't as bad as it looks but I think my thumb may be broken too, as it's now purple and I can't move it (any suggestions for treatment ... ice pack? welcome), I'm going to see how it is tomorrow before considering visiting the NHS Walk in Centre in town for a 2nd opinion.

Oh, well accidents will happen and it could have been worse if we were on a road rather than a cycle path. I'm off for a lie down and a cup of tea.

Last edited by Red Steve; 26th August 2012 at 13:43.

Banned
    Ouch indeed. Quite a lot of damage - makes me wonder how bad some of these pro rider crashes can be at triple that speed.

Craftsman
    I fell off my bike on Tuesday. Couldn't get unclipped from the pedal (as I am still getting used to them!)

Thankfully, just a little graze and no damage to bike, though my pride was dented as a few girls seen me drop!!!!!!!

Oh very ouch that will be sore for a while, get well soon

Master
    Healthy exercise indeed! Looks to me like cycling is bad for your health! I'll stick to walking.

Mike

Ouch indeedy. An ice pack would be the best thing for the swollen joint.

Re: the Bristol - Bath cycle track. Last year a friend rode back from the pub at night with a couple of mates (somewhere around Keynsham IIRC?) and he set off first... they arrive at his house and he's not there, so after a while they retrace their route and get all the way back to the pub with no sign of him. Somewhat concerned now they head back to his house and luckily en route spot 'something' down the embankment which turns out to be him & bike. He'd just come round from being knocked out and to cut a long story short he was off work for months afterwards due to several operations on his wrist/hand.

Be careful out there and hope the injuries heal soon.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

You have my sympathies there. I managed to mess my self up a few months back whilst mountain biking.
    I took a tumble off a bit of a ledge and managed to see what my knee cap looked like. I'm pretty sure I broke a bone in my hand as well but the thought of sitting in A&E for 6 hours put me off finding out for certain. My helmet definitely saved me from a more serious injury.

I always think the worst part is the waiting until you're healed enough to get back out there and do things again. I remember buying a new helmet, Gloves and some knee armour and then thinking about how long it would be before I could get out there and use them.

Hope you get better quickly.

Looks nasty, hope you're in better shape soon.

Re the thumb, it could be worth a trip to A&E as, if it's broken, it will probably need to be put in a splint. That's what they did with the little finger on my right hand when I broke it playing rugby. Worth getting it checked out, but an ice pack/bag of frozen peas will certainly help in the short term.

I was nearly taken out today by a motorist who pulled out straight at me as I was going round a roundabout. God knows how he failed to see me. I think it was his passenger who shouted for him to stop or I'd be in A&E myself right now.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Welcome to the wonderful world of gravel rash.

Grand Master
    Flesh Wound

RIAC

Journeyman
    I hope there is no watch damaged.

Clippless pedals are great right up until that point. Hope your thumb is ok

Quick up date: Thumb is very purple and swollen but I don't think it's broken. Gravel rash has been cleaned in a TCP bath and just a little tight.

Mate's thumb knuckle was broken and was plastered in A&E so he won't be doing his triathlon on Sunday.

Got the wife running around for me getting cups of tea etc which is nice for a change.

Don't think I'll be fit enough to ride for a week or 2 so that will give me the time to sort some new levers/shifters that were damaged. I was wearing a Casio ani/digi (cheap G shock sort of thing)that's bomb proof so no damage to report.

Looking on line for some new gloves & bib shorts now with a small whiskey for medicinal purposes only

Quote Originally Posted by europa View Post
    Ouch indeed. Quite a lot of damage - makes me wonder how bad some of these pro rider crashes can be at triple that speed.
    What amazes me with pro riders is how quickly they can get back on and ride. I felt really sick/light headed after my spill and had to sit down for at least 15 minutes. Tough guys indeed.

Nasty! Reminds me of those astroturf burns from football. Mind you, you don't realise you have them until you shower and it stings like hell!

Master
    Blog Entries
    now that looks a bit nippy

A similar thing happened to me this time last year... Take it easy!

Lidl bike stuff on sale today. possible gloves although the bibs are of the trouser variety.

went to my local A & E today as my thumb wasn't feeling any better. Was hoping to be told it was just badly bruised, but no such luck as the X ray confirmed a break just above the knuckle joint.

Now in plaster I have to go back on Friday for a proper cast, although I was told that I might be lucky and could avoid this if the consultant agreed. Really could do without a cast for 4 -6 weeks so keeping fingers crossed.

As I was in town I decided a quick pint was the order of the day:

Bugger!

Good to see can still have a beer and you have someone to wait on you.

On a positive note you can still wear your watch.

I'm still on crutches after my last ride..... Five weeks ago :0

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Good to see can still have a beer and you have someone to wait on you.

On a positive note you can still wear your watch.

I'm still on crutches after my last ride..... Five weeks ago :0
    Blimey Barry, that must have been a nasty accident you had there...what happened?

Just a slip ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Steve View Post
    Blimey Barry, that must have been a nasty accident you had there...what happened?
    Spiral (due to being clipped in) fracture of the Femur at FortWilliam downhill during practice for race :(

Maybe I should stick to the Internet and watches.....safer?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by moynan66 View Post
    Thankfully, just a little graze and no damage to bike, though my pride was dented as a few girls seen me drop!!!!!!!
    That must've hurt - your pride being hurt that is, not the graze!

It did happen to me as well a few years ago, ended with a broken wrist and a swollen shoulder. I had to endure a few horrid days until my shoulder began to feel functional again until I could properly wipe my backside again

Ouch indeed! I took a nice slide on tarmac last October during a road section of an MTB ride. My right side took the @ 20mph impact, the worst being my back, where a 1/2litre stainless flask in my Camelback was dented and pushed into my ribs, breaking 2 or 3. My buttock and thigh made a pretty sight. Couldn't lie on that side or walk properly for 3-4 weeks and was off the bike for 4 months. A 16yr old brain trapped in a 55yr old body!

F.T.F.A.