Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep 14060M

17 31.48%
  • Trade up to 16600

37 68.52%

Thread: Trade a 14060M for a 16600?

Trade a 14060M for a 16600?

Well after refining my Rolex collection to a GMT Master II from 2005 and a 14060M from 2007 I thought I'd be happy! As ever, not the case. I now have a real yearning for a SeaDweller, again. Over the years I have had 2 but always moved them on when trading up. Any comments will be appreciated.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Thats exactly how i feel. Im on a GMT 16713 and a 16610. Yearning for a SD!

The most annoying thing is, that I will more than likely trade upto a SD then I'll be looking in SC for another 14060!
    Last edited by paneristi372; 24th August 2012 at 11:23.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    So why do you keep coming back to the 14060? NOt having the date wound me up TBH.

What does the 14060 have that the SD doesn't?

Quote Originally Posted by jrpippen View Post
    So why do you keep coming back to the 14060? NOt having the date wound me up TBH.

Simplicity, balance and history.

I love Panerai watches and thus traded in all my Rolex in 2007 and had a pure Panerai lineup. Then after years of leather and rubber.....steady! I wanted a metal strap watch again, for me Panerai don't suit metal straps so inline with the rest of my collection a simple 14060 fitted the bill perfectly, then the oyster bracelet in particular made me fall again for Rolex! Recently I picked up 16710 safe queen from 2004 identical to my first ever Rolex bought by me new in 2004. Got a selection of bezel inserts for it so along with date, 24hour feature and a flash of colour it's a beautiful point of difference.

Why now a Sd? I just don't know, more wrist presence I suppose but I know I'll miss the ND!!!

I would trade up if I got the chance as dwellers are hard to beat

Quote Originally Posted by paneristi372 View Post
    Simplicity, balance and history.[...]
    I'd say that the SD offers plenty of all three as well, aside from being the somewhat superior watch. I find the sapphire and glossy dial combination to be a bit sterile, so the date window is a welcome addition. The 3100-family movements in both watches are excellent, so you can't go wrong either way... but the 16600 is the one to have as it's the last of the line of true Sea-Dwellers.

Quote Originally Posted by jrpippen View Post
    A comfortable flatter case back that doesn't rock around on your wrist unless you have the bracelet extra tight and a bigger dial that looks more balanced on the watch. Of course this is subjective and I guess my first point depends on you're wrist shape to an extent, but I find the SD sits too high, looks odd on the wrist as it sits tall but without the case diameter to balance it out, further compounded by the smaller dial. Of course the SD does add a date which I like to have, but without the cyclops its not as easy to read on a quick glance as on say a 16610.

That said, I do own a SD and I'd be loathe to get rid but it gets next to no wear compared to my 16610 and DSSD (or any of my watches for that matter).

I'll get my head below the parapet now as I'm one of the few that doesn't think the SD is one of Rolex's finest.

edited to add : I'll caveat the above by saying the 1665 is on my hit list - an SD with no WG surrounds and a tropic 39 is a different beast all together!
    Last edited by Mr Stoat; 24th August 2012 at 16:17.

Craftsman
    Trade up (and sell the ND cheap to me ;-))

Master
    I would if it was a good deal

Master
    I would do it. Whilst the ND is nice, the non-solid end links are a killer for me. The SD has solid end links, polished sides to the bracnelet links (the ND are brushed), the more solid divers extension, a date. and an overall more robust feel. Once I got a SD the ND never got a look in and was subsequently flipped - no regrets at all, and now have two SDs (16600 and 16660).

Well, it looks like its definitely the SD route I'm going to go. Infact found a cracker that is local so going to sell my Non-Date to assist with the funding, sadly not enough posts on here to list though!

Thanks for the continuing voting.

Yep - Sea dweller's the daddy (unless you're talking about a matt 5513, of course)
    Last edited by learningtofly; 24th August 2012 at 18:16.

Craftsman
    I love both. I wear my SD during the week when I need to know the date, and at the weekend the sub comes out!

Interesting thread.

I'm just mulling over perhaps trading my new PO 8500 45mm for either a 11600 (preference) or a nice 14060M at the moment. If anyone's interested PM me.....

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Stoat View Post
    A comfortable flatter case back that doesn't rock around on your wrist unless you have the bracelet extra tight and a bigger dial that looks more balanced on the watch. Of course this is subjective and I guess my first point depends on you're wrist shape to an extent, but I find the SD sits too high, looks odd on the wrist as it sits tall but without the case diameter to balance it out, further compounded by the smaller dial. Of course the SD does add a date which I like to have, but without the cyclops its not as easy to read on a quick glance as on say a 16610.

I'll get my head below the parapet now as I'm one of the few that doesn't think the SD is one of Rolex's finest.

edited to add : I'll caveat the above by saying the 1665 is on my hit list - an SD with no WG surrounds and a tropic 39 is a different beast all together!
    I agree with all of this. The 1665 is very cool, the 16600 not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Yep - Sea dweller's the daddy

+1 the SD for me is the iconic rolex, easy decision get the SD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Interesting thread.

I'm just mulling over perhaps trading my new PO 8500 45mm for either a 11600 (preference) or a nice 14060M at the moment. If anyone's interested PM me.....
    You will be lucky to get near either of those for the money you mentioned in our pm's! ;-)

Cool

Well, just completed the deal. 14060M is getting boxed up as we speak and hopefully by the end of the month a beautiful 2002 Y serial 16600 should be on my wrist.

Thanks again for all the comments.

Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by paneristi372 View Post
    Well, just completed the deal. 14060M is getting boxed up as we speak and hopefully by the end of the month a beautiful 2002 Y serial 16600 should be on my wrist.

Thanks again for all the comments.

Jamie
    Well done, but posts like yours aren't helping me convince myself that I don't *need* a 16600

Apprentice
    Go for the 16600, you wont regret it!! Brilliant watch for all occasions !

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bernie eccle View Post
    Well done, but posts like yours aren't helping me convince myself that I don't *need* a 16600
    I "do" know that i need a 16600! Its just a matter of time.

;-)

I'd have the 16600 if only for the date feature and wrist presence...

Is is exactly what I did and I've never looked back. Love the SD, it gets all my wrist time!

Yes a chubby SD is da shit :-)