closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Driving in France? Un petit heads up

Driving in France? Un petit heads up

I just read in a French newspaper that there have been several incidents of false police on the roads this summer targetting tourists - French and foreign. The trick is that they are in a dark car with flashing blue light and wearing passably correct looking uniforms; they pull the tourist over on some pretext (one ruse was searching for drugs) and during the search steal what they can - money from a handbag, camera from the boot, etc. A spokesman for the Gendarmerie, presumably a real one, said you have the right to ask to see I.D. if you are stopped and you should do so.

So if you are planning on driving in France, be attentive.

How would the genuine French Police react if you were to ignore the lights and head for the nearest town?

This sort of thing has been happening to unsuspecting tourists in many places for a while now. It was notorious in Barcelona at one stage.

Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    How would the genuine French Police react if you were to ignore the lights and head for the nearest town?

This sort of thing has been happening to unsuspecting tourists in many places for a while now. It was notorious in Barcelona at one stage.
    They'd shoot you before arresting you for resisting arrest.
    "A man of little significance"

the last time I was in France they stopped me and stole €90. Admittedly they also muttered something about speed limits

Craftsman
    Not just France either - http://www.freefreefreefree.com/expat_news3.htm

Jake

slightly off the theft subject, but if you are driving in france now you must have your own breathalyser kit in the car.
    it is to save money for the french police so that if you get stopped and checked you use you own kit and not their's.
    don't know how much they expect to save with this!!

Driving in France? Un petit heads up

Quote Originally Posted by allaninspain View Post
    slightly off the theft subject, but if you are driving in france now you must have your own breathalyser kit in the car.
    it is to save money for the french police so that if you get stopped and checked you use you own kit and not their's.
    I drew the words "le breathalyser" on a couple of toilet roll tubes and carry those along side the box of Stella.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Re: Driving in France? Un petit heads up

The breathaliser is not obligatory yet...
    It will be in October or November and is not for the use of the police. Drivers can check their intoxication or lack thereof before getting behind the wheel . I think it adds nothing to road safety since people might think it safe when they pass but they may have a longer time to react. It is good business probably ....

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by allaninspain View Post

Dont let facts get in the way of your post

I believe you're supposed to carry 2 of them in the car. The law is already in force but they didn't bother to calculate how many they'd actually sell so everyone's out of stock - hence it not being enforced till November. Even if you're found to be without them, it's only an €11 fine so not the end of the world.

PS will keep an eye out for shifty looking police types
    Last edited by twhp101; 22nd August 2012 at 20:08.