closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Cars....Again! What car tho?

Cars....Again! What car tho?

Ive had my Alfa 147 for 5 years now and I really do love it. However is getting on a bit and I cant exactly say Ive looked after it!

Ive been looking around and I cant make up my mind. Im after somthing quite flash, Im 29 and havent really spent and money on cars to date.

Im thinking Alfa Brera, Merc SL500, Mazda RX8, 911, Boxster, BMW 6 series, maserati 3200................. options are endless!

Budget is £10k.

Wow!

I hope you have some change left after buying any of the cars on that list because running and maintenance costs on those can't be cheap!

I deserve it :) Yes, I have that in hand.

Ooh, I'd struggle to ignore that Maserati.

Considered one myself a while ago... then came back to a Jaguar XJS (half the money, not necessarily any more problems) as I'd always wanted one anyway.

After all that; did nothing... I live in a flat and parking is at a premium!

On the sensible side of things; the Porsche or the BMW probably make for the most 'reliable' options out of all them... that said; none of them gonna be cheap to run.

What ever you do, enjoy!

How about a Lexus SC - its a bit of boat however it will be reliable and you can tell birds is a something else - they will not know the difference.

Failing that how about a Porsche 968 - very underated and you get to keep to street cred!!

Andy

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Is this going to be an everyday commuting car (from your list of possibles it doesn't look like it will), or is it something for the weekend ?.

If it is something for the weekend, £10K modern and flash means you'll soon be slightly embarrassed in the car park by someone having something newer or flashier, and depreciation will also be a killer. However, £10k spent on a flash retro classic is a different matter entirely.

A £10k budget on a modern classic gives you quite some choice, and it'll certainly make you stand out from the crowd, after all who gives an RX8 a second look these days. A nice vintage M3/M5, RX7, Merc SL, Lotus Carlton and cars of that ilk is likely to get you far more Kudos than a 10 year old example.

Well our Brera now has 60000 on the clock and has not let us down once, I think someone is living in the past. 3200s are cheap for a reason - the running costs can be horrific is driven with spirit...
    How about the v6 version of the 147, very unusual and under rated.

Master
    Blog Entries
    the question really is, what floats your boat? speed? power? looks?

The usual modern convertible suspects are S2000, Z4 3.0 or Boxster, all of which have different pros and cons that you can only understand by driving them and deciding which balance and combination you like best.

A 10k 911 is always a risk, the same can't be said of the Boxster, although if you find a post 2005 upgrade model for this money it will either be high miles, cat D, or both.

alternatively, as above, a decent classic could be sweet; MGB Roadster in mint condition will not lose money and won't cost you ten large, so there would be scope for a cheap daily driver too.

Grunt? An E39 M5 (99-03) has 400 bhp out of the box and sticks like glue to corners, a (marmite looking) Jag S Type R has a 4.2 V8 with a supercharger and will leave you with £3k or more for a watch, or a Vauxhall Monaro has a 5.7 or 6.0 V8 and goes like stink!

Craftsman
    I'd avoid the RX-8. Too temperamental and mine went surprisingly rusty for a 6 year old car. They are cheap to buy second hand but there's a good reason for that.

I don't think it's flash enough, but an Audi TT would get my vote.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by catflem View Post
    Is this going to be an everyday commuting car (from your list of possibles it doesn't look like it will), or is it something for the weekend ?.

If it is something for the weekend, £10K modern and flash means you'll soon be slightly embarrassed in the car park by someone having something newer or flashier, and depreciation will also be a killer. However, £10k spent on a flash retro classic is a different matter entirely.

A £10k budget on a modern classic gives you quite some choice, and it'll certainly make you stand out from the crowd, after all who gives an RX8 a second look these days. A nice vintage M3/M5, RX7, Merc SL, Lotus Carlton and cars of that ilk is likely to get you far more Kudos than a 10 year old example.

Agree with the modern = depreciation, and I like the classics mentioned but you won't find a nice M3/Carlton etc for 10k sadly. A Boxster would be a good bet although beware of failing engines, pretty rare but it does happen. There are plenty of 05 non S's on the market (I am actually debating an S for the mrs) so finding a reasonable example for 10k might not be impossible. Or for something different, how about an E46 M3? A gem of an engine, nice build quality and should have done its depreciation now. Running costs aren't too bad, the main one being the inspection 1 service which cost me £800 a few years ago at BMW. Plenty of good independent dealers around for both Porsche and BMW so they don't have to cost the earth. I would second the 'avoid' Maserati, from what I read the 3200 was never a well regarded car, and if anything major goes wrong you're in big, big trouble.

Banned
    Join a car club. Will cost about 3k a year so what you'd pay in insurance and running costs of a clapped out Maserati that will do nothing other than make you look like a saddo wannabe used car dealer type. You'll get the fun and experiences and very little hassle with the club route.

Invest the rest, either in financial investments, good watches or in yourself so travel, learn a new thing, do a new hobby, whatever or a combination of the above.

Youll be chucking Around 7 grand down the swannee otherwise.

Banned
    Ps, may as well Keep the Alfa, it's not worth much, and you will need a day to day car.

Quote Originally Posted by miniman1983 View Post
    Ive had my Alfa 147 for 5 years now and I really do love it. However is getting on a bit and I cant exactly say Ive looked after it!

Ive been looking around and I cant make up my mind. Im after somthing quite flash, Im 29 and havent really spent and money on cars to date.

Im thinking Alfa Brera, Merc SL500, Mazda RX8, 911, Boxster, BMW 6 series, maserati 3200................. options are endless!

Budget is £10k.
    I've had a few of those on your list.

The most fun was the Maserati. Awesome sound and grunt from the V8, sublime looks (those boomerang rear lights..), fabulous interior and something really different to the 911/m3 default. What ruined the experience for me was the fact that it hardly worked. I had a pretty comprehensive warranty, thank goodness, and it was always in the garage to fix something or other. Some of the bills that I saw were eye watering too. I sold it back to the same dealer after less than a year and took a bath.

Had a 3.2 Brera a few years ago and after owning a number of V6 Alfas over the years was a little disappointed. Looks lovely, interior is beautiful but it just isn't very fast for a 3.2 and doesn't do corners very well. I think the Prodrive version (which mine wasn't) addresses some of the handling issues, so may be worth a shot (not sure if they're at 10k yet though).

Boxsters are just excellent cars. I wouldn't say it was a very original choice, but who cares. We had ours for 3.5 years (I think the longest I've ever kept a car) and it was faultless. Expensive in tyres, but servicing was only standard stuff, nothing else went wrong and even the fuel efficiency wasn't too horrendous. Even after I started to fancy something else I passed it on to my wife so that I could still get to drive it. She kept it until our first born came along.

6 series wouldn't be for me and I associate them with the older driver....

I'm not sure the RX8 is in the same bracket and a good 10k 911 may be hard to find.

- E46 M3s are around that price range now, although I've now started to see chav'd up versions so I'd personally steer clear to avoid the dodgy image issue.
    - 10k would get you a Z3M coupe, quite a rare car and a left field choice.
    - Z4 coupe?
    - s1 Elise?
    - 350Z?
    - newish 9-3 Aero convertible?

Lots of choice, good luck!

Whoever said Lexus SC, show yourself the birch man... what an awful car!

Craftsman
    If you are feeling bold then a TVR Cerbera makes a statement, otherwise a 10(ish) year old Supercharged Jag XK is a lot of car for the money.

I agree the Lexus SC is a terrible car

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spud View Post
    Whoever said Lexus SC, show yourself the birch man... what an awful car!
    4.3 litres, folding hard top, on paper its ace. However, if you've prised yourself past looks only a mother can argue are tolerable, the experience is so miserable it hurts. No go, no handling, no comfort. such a missed opportunity...

another random thought, VX220 turbo, saw one earlier, briefly, it was quick!

I'm an ex maserati 3200GT owner, and while I thought it was magnificent, I would advise extreme caution before buying one. I replaced it with an Alfa 147GTa and I must say while it was nowhere near as quick it was a more rewarding everyday performance car. So as an existing 147 owner I would suggest you have a look at those - well in budget, great to drive, and becoming very unusual. Ignore the Brera unless you love the looks - I test drove a 3.2 and found my old 3.0GTV a much better drive (though the Brera interior was superb).

I nearly bought a Maserati some years back, but then I checked Pistonheads and called Maranello's to get an idea of running costs... I didn't buy one. You are talking Ferrari league bills.

My very nice 911 I sold a year back had just had a 50,000 mile service at a cost of 4.5k.... a 10k one will be a dog.

I have had numerous TVRs, and they are mad as hell, but much more suited to being a weekend car regardless of what anyone tells you.

I've had Jags, and love them, but if I buy another it will be a new type XKR. You could get a decent older style one for you money - very, very fast, but very thirsty.

Alfa's are cool, and very good value, but being FFD not quite as much fun as some cars in my opinion.

With a 10k budget you need to be sensible. A Z4 would be very good, or a TT. An RX8 is great to drive as well. A 350z would also be worth a look.

I currently have an Audi TT 3.2 Quattro with full aerokit. It has every toy you can get, and is a fantastic all round machine. I am so impressed I might well have another. Possibly a TTRS - 0-60 in 4.5 secs...
    Last edited by TheFlyingBanana; 21st August 2012 at 23:24.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Master
    M3

Nothing comes close to it at the price for a mix of handling, reliability, performance, spec and quality.

Just buy this and be done with it:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...01232481603886

^ This man is probably the most correct so far!

E46 M3 is a good shout.

I'd also consider keeping the 147 and buying an S2 elise or a VX220.

£10k will get you an early K series engined S2, an absolutely mint 2.2 VX and change or a higher mileage VX turbo. S1s are available at that money but it's a bit of a lottery of a market just now with some over-priced cars competing with some rough as hell munters.

All three will make you grin like an idiot, not cost the earth to run and look flash as hell. I've had my VX NA for 7.5 years now and i couldn't be parted from it.
    Last edited by Lazydonkey; 22nd August 2012 at 09:37.

Thanks Guys, Ohhh do they call that Imola Red? Im tempted.

Ive thought long and hard about this one, quite a nice decision to make! This will be my daily drive including commuting. Ive moved my office just 3 miles from work butI
    do have to travel during the day. I would do less than 10k a year on average.

Ive discounted the XK8, 6 series, as you say, I dont think im quite old enough yet!

I dont like the TT, no disrespect but my hairdresser has one. I would love an Elise or VX220 but I know after 6 months I would regret it, I do need some comfort!

I love the Z4 Coupe but the 10k doesnt quite stretch to a decent one, I dont think?

The RX8 is v.heavy on fuel, oil and tyres. Ive just driven one, very quick but the interior was plastic over plastic!

So, Im down to a Boxster, 911, M3, S2000, 147 GTA or Brera.

Has everyone discounted the Merc SL???

Decisions!

Merc SL = Bit of a fat banker/golf-ists car... discount it!

The S2000 is great (even if a hit hairdressery) and those VTec lumps are bulletproof!

The 147 is a no for me... in fact any Alfa would be!

SL is just a comfy merc saloon where the roof comes down. Wouldn't be my choice.

out of that lot the boxster or the m3 would get my vote......totally understanding on the comfort point :D

....or straight out of left field how about this
    http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/4098742.htm

Master
    The SL isn't a drivers car. Consumate grand tourer and a looker, but it's a barge.

Re your list, I have a S2000 that I have had from new over 10 years back. It still leaves a huge smile and ownership satisfaction. http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ighlight=s2000 and http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...30-Honda-S2000

I also had an E46 M3 for 5 years. I only sold it as I was moving abroard and two cars in the UK would have been an indulgance. Technically one is too....... The day the M3 went was a very sad and emotional day ;)

So what do I think. Well I too have considered the Maser and 911 choice, and even spending 30k/40k it's hard to justify the running costs and potential other bills. That's how I ended up with an M3. Some comments on M3 here http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-E46-M3-owners

Compared to the S2000 the M3, whilst a lot more powerful, was a lardy old hector. This translated into the S2000 for fun, and the M3 for everything else - great noise, comfortable, practical (four/five seats and a big boot), respectable running costs, great looks, some cache/street cred etc. Given you want some comfort then I would say go for the M3, and as others have said, go as original/unmolested as you can, and check the service history. They have some problems with the rear springs, and front trailing arms (I think that is what it's called) - but once I had those sorted, the car was faultless over 5 years.

Journeyman
    Personally I would ignore a Mercedes SL500, great cars but eye-wateringly expensive to fix if/when something goes pear-shaped.

At circa £10k I would go for a BMW, if you hang on you may be able to get yourself into a newer shape coupe rather than the e46 shape M3.

Good luck!

Nissan 350Z would be my vote. You could pick up a really nice one for £10k. A proper old school muscle car and IMHO the looks really haven't dated in 10 years - the 370Z being "aesthetically challenging" has helped. They're pretty solid with no major issues I'm aware of. Rear wheel drive handling and a great soundtrack. Downsides for me were slight impracticality and a bit plasticky inside. If you're that way inclined there's a great social side on www.350z-uk.com and if not there's still loads of advice and info on the site.

Master
    OP, you need to firstly consider how much you can afford for running costs including servicing, repair bills, tyres, fuel, tax etc. Simply because a Boxster, 911 and M3 are not cheap to run.
    S2000 is a very good shout for reasonably cheap and reliable motoring.

147 GTA is a side step IMO, but its several thousand below your budget.

Brera is not a sports car and not that exciting.

Out of all of them for 10k I'd take the M3. I used to own an E46 and more recently an E92 M3 and for 10k nothing else comes close for me.

I had a 147 as well and am thinking of getting another - but the GTA this time. I tend to find anyone who talks about reliability problems with Alfa's have never owned one. A 10k 911 will be a lottery I think, read Pistonheads to see how many people with a late 90's 911 have had engine probs.

Master
    I'd suggest you ditch the idea of 3200 and 911... the former will bankrupt you and you'd only be able to find a ropey (and therefore costly to maintain) example of the latter.

I think there have been a few good suggestions throughout this thread, in no particular order:

Boxster
    Z4 Coupe
    Z3M Coupe
    E46 M3
    350Z
    TT
    etc.

With £10k to spend, you're unlikely to find anything worth buying that had a £75k+ price tag when new.

Looking at maintenance costs is very important. When I was around 24-25 I spent an obscene amount of cash on a car knowing how much it would cost me to maintain. Problem was, when I was approaching first service, I decided that the maintenance costs simply didn't sit comfortably with me... Whilst I could (just about) afford them, I decided there were better things to spend my money on.

If you go the Italian v8 route, know what you're getting yourself into and make sure you'll be happy when it comes to parting with the cash.

I would not go for the S2000 unless you have really driven one - I found you had to rev the nuts off it to get it to go anywhere - also just 2 seats so no good for taking stuff to the dump.

The BMW is a better choice but rather than blowing your hard earned on a M3, why not just get the 325 CI or 330 CI and pocket the diffence.

These pretty much have the same top speed as the M3 (limited) around 150, and you never really get to use the full acceleration of the M3 without doing your tryes every 5K (which at around £180 a pop can be an expensive habit - £250 each if you want run flats).

I had a 325CI and put 175K miles on it - great car. Now I have a 325D CI M Sport and its even better plus now I get 48MPG.

No brainer.

Andy

PS I also have a 911 for the weekends just in case but do not even think of getting a Porsche 911 on that budget - Boxer might be OK however make sure you have a "defence fund" hidden away.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    I would not go for the S2000 unless you have really driven one - I found you had to rev the nuts off it to get it to go anywhere - also just 2 seats so no good for taking stuff to the dump.

The BMW is a better choice but rather than blowing your hard earned on a M3, why not just get the 325 CI or 330 CI and pocket the diffence.

These pretty much have the same top speed as the M3 (limited) around 150, and you never really get to use the full acceleration of the M3 without doing your tryes every 5K (which at around £180 a pop can be an expensive habit - £250 each if you want run flats).

I had a 325CI and put 175K miles on it - great car. Now I have a 325D CI M Sport and its even better plus now I get 48MPG.

No brainer.

Couldnt disagree more. Just because the M3 looks the same as a 330Ci it doesnt mean its the same car. Totally different animals. Also, the E46 series never had runflats as an option.
    Surprised at your comments too about using the performance; thats like me saying you should have bought a Boxster 2.5L instead of a 911 because you don't get to use the performance on the road.
    You either want a sports car/GT like the M3, or you want an average family coupe that is economical to run i.e. a 3xxD.

May I suggest an Austin Healey 3000 mk I or II?. if you can find one for the money. If it's fun you want, not much will beat it, and it sounds and looks terrific.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBanks View Post
    Couldnt disagree more. Just because the M3 looks the same as a 330Ci it doesnt mean its the same car. Totally different animals. Also, the E46 series never had runflats as an option.
    Surprised at your comments too about using the performance; thats like me saying you should have bought a Boxster 2.5L instead of a 911 because you don't get to use the performance on the road.
    You either want a sports car/GT like the M3, or you want an average family coupe that is economical to run i.e. a 3xxD.

If you want to get knicked and banned then a Boxster or a 330 CI will do the job just a well as a 911 or a M3. As for the driving exprience unless you have some very nice tarmac round your way again its a moot point. Yes the M3 might handle a bit better however over a pot holed road its the same as the 330 CI Sport (the suspension is the same). To be frank I would image a standard Boxer with 18" is a much better option than my 911 on our current roads mostly because I have non standard suspension and none standard 18" alloys on a car design for 16" rims!!.

So unless the OP actually intends to track it (and if he does then he should look at a 944 or 968 Club Sport), then it just some much badge engineering.

Yes an M3 is better car, however a 911 Turbo is a better car than M3, and a GT3RS is a better car than 911Tubro and so on and so forth.

Seriously the guy has a 10K budget so why put him into a M3 with the additional service, insurance and fuel costs when a nicely spec new 330CI (perhaps a later E90) will delivery almost the same performance without so much risk. Just a thought!

Andy

Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
    May I suggest an Austin Healey 3000 mk I or II?. if you can find one for the money. If it's fun you want, not much will beat it, and it sounds and looks terrific.

Good luck with finding a good one for 10K

Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Had a Merc SL for over 3 years - it went in PX last month.

I loved it, looks and style. The problem was the bills - I had the usual boot leak problem, and it drove me to distraction. Plus I twice took it to Mercedes for them to look at something, and as they always do, they "suggested" on both occasions that I should have work done, amounting to over £5k (plus VAT to come) each time.

Craftsman
    You could have a look at my stunning Z4 convertible, it's on here and at £10k. It's essentially a BMW approved used car too with most of a years warranty remaining.

I'm selling to go to an e46 m3, so of the Z4 is not your thing I'd highly recommend one of those. Just be prepared to e patient and move fast when the right one comes along.

Thought I'd chime in with something a bit different.... Yes, it's a Vauxhall. But what a Vauxhall.

Monaro. Mahoosive V8, RWD and a few on Autotrader for less than 10K

It's a two seater. Traditionally, they're not as practical as estates.

The boot is large though - much bigger than you might think and is very practical actually. The other practicality is that it is reliable whatever the weather, so maintenance bills are low.

I'd agree with the comment about driving one - you do need to be a proficient driver in order to handle it at the limit. It's just like a race engine in that it delivers its power between 7-9000rpm and it will oversteer readily. So, it's not a hairdresser's car in any way even though it is a drophead.

For those who like driving, it's a wonderful car. For those who like to cruise around, it's probably annoyingly low on torque. YMMV.

Car

There was a gorgeous Z4 on here for sale the other day. I think that was 10k. It certainly looked a lot of car for the money.
    Another option would be the car that has been mentioned and the performance car that all others measured against. The BMW M3 E46.

Also please do yourself a favour and steer clear of the 3200. Major money pit in this budget.

I have some experience of three of these and all have good and bad points

3200 great fun to drive and will put a smile on your face, people will let you out at junctions and not think you are just trying to be a flash git. Running costs as mentioned can be high, but find an independent and make sure it's not due for a Cam belt change and everything works. Electrics often can be a problem. Check really well for signs of rust.

911 a good car but you will drive it hard every chance you have and it just awesome, but anyone you buy for 10k will have been driven hard and probably been in a smash, so look carefully at the wear patterns on tires to make sure it runs square. A higher mileage well look after may be better than a lower mileage version if all the work has been done properly.

645 What a great car, happy to trundle surround at 30mph and very comfortable and much more so than the other two. Huge boot and you can get 4 adults in it more than the other two. Not too bad on fuel and will e cheaper to run especially. But put it in sport mode and it just flies and the noise from the engine will give you a real buzz

Maserati got the most nice car comments and colour choice is key in them, 4200 is a better engine and they sorted out a lot of the early problems And you might find one for just over 10k they make a nicer noise, don't be seduced by The boomerang lights

Monaro! Excellent, mad enough and rare enough not to divide opinion really.

It is what it is; a shouty, thirsty big beast of a car... unusual for a Vauxhall!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
    Good luck with finding a good one for 10K
    well there's one here for restoration, that could fall within the overall budget taking into account the running costs of some of the cars on the OP list.
    http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C310096
    need a bit of time before he could enjoy it though :)

Master
    If you want to get knicked and banned then a Boxster or a 330 CI will do the job just a well as a 911 or a M3. As for the driving exprience unless you have some very nice tarmac round your way again its a moot point. Yes the M3 might handle a bit better however over a pot holed road its the same as the 330 CI Sport (the suspension is the same). To be frank I would image a standard Boxer with 18" is a much better option than my 911 on our current roads mostly because I have non standard suspension and none standard 18" alloys on a car design for 16" rims!!.

So unless the OP actually intends to track it (and if he does then he should look at a 944 or 968 Club Sport), then it just some much badge engineering.

Yes an M3 is better car, however a 911 Turbo is a better car than M3, and a GT3RS is a better car than 911Tubro and so on and so forth.

Seriously the guy has a 10K budget so why put him into a M3 with the additional service, insurance and fuel costs when a nicely spec new 330CI (perhaps a later E90) will delivery almost the same performance without so much risk. Just a thought!

Andy
    So why do you drive a 911 then if a Boxster will do?

A 330Ci will not offer almost the same performance as an M3!!!

OP hasn't stated what his servicing, maintenance targets are either so for all we know he could well afford to run an M3.

You can take an M3 to an independent garage/specialist and get it serviced very reasonably. The S54 is a reliable engine and the only thing you need to watch out for on the E46 are the rear springs cracking and making sure you check the subframe regularly or check if its been replaced by BMW under warranty.

I've owned both and know full well the running costs and the differences between them.

This sentence is how to differentiate between a man who likes nice looking cars and a petrolhead.

How about a Lexus SC - its a bit of boat however it will be reliable and you can tell birds is a something else - they will not know the difference.

Failing that how about a Porsche 968 - very underated and you get to keep to street cred!!

Andy

968, shhhhh, don't tell everyone!

- - - Updated - - -

Andy

968, shhhhh, don't tell everyone!

I drive a late E46 so admit to a bias, but it is worth re-iterating that the strong network of independent specialist garages is a factor in favour of BMW - we have a good one within 3 miles of the house, and several others fairly close. I appreciate that the same applies to other marques, but there are just so many 5-15 year old 3s and 5s about that they really support a thriving independent sector.

And as to whether M3 or 330 etc I'd drive both, and look at what mileage/history etc you get with both, then decide.

Master
    When I was in a similar position, (10-20k budget about 8 years ago) I was looking at a Porsche 968 but ended up spending quite a lot less on a Jaguar XJR. Not a sportscar but certainly fast and powerful, especially on A roads and better. Ran it for three years and sold it for a few grand, lost 6k on that I think. Seemed fair enough for a bit of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by miniman1983 View Post
    So, Im down to a Boxster, 911, M3, S2000, 147 GTA or Brera.

Decisions!
    If you're interested in an S2000, let me know. I may be forced to sell mine within weeks if an overseas contract comes through. 1 previous owner, 04 model, 39k/I've covered ~7k in last ~4 years, FHSH, GT variant with hardtop. I'll know my position within 10 days. Needless to say, if I stay in the UK I'll be keep the car. It's brilliant .