closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rambling SOTC musings. (Don't worry, pics for the easily bored).

Rambling SOTC musings. (Don't worry, pics for the easily bored).

It's just about a year since I joined tz-uk, so I thought it was time to do an up-to-date SOTC, especially as a recent bout of insomnia has given me a bit of time to do a write-up. I have a tendency to want to categorise and group my watches, so please forgive that aspect.

Going through the collection in chronological order-

My oldest current watch is my 1999 Sub Date 16610. As ever, there's not much to say about this Sub Date - it's perfectly proportioned i.e. big enough for most (but not too big for many), clean lines, sporty but dressy enough to wear with a suit - in many ways this model has become the classic modern-style Sub. There's no doubt that the bracelet is a bit rattley by today's standards, but it's secure enough. What I also like about Rolex sports models is that they inspire confidence in a watch that you know will be rugged and accurate enough for most situations. I had it serviced last year, but it was running fine, even after 10 years of regular use. It was also my go-to holiday watch for many years, and I still feel it's hard to beat in that respect. The only real negative (other than the bracelet) is it's ubiquity.

My second-oldest piece is now my 2003 JLC Master Moon. This is a classic dress/work watch IMO. I love the dial of this particular model - the day and month apertures and date-hand leave the watch remarkably clean. It's also thin compared to most modern watches - which is useful if you're wearing it under a shirt. Although on paper the case is small (37mm?), it looks just right for a dressy watch on all but the biggest wrists. It also makes the watch feel delicately intricate. Along with my (now gone) IWC GST Chrono, the JLC was my daily wearer for many years. I treated it to a new Camille Fournet strap last year, polished up the case, and now it feels as good as new. The only real downside is that a hand-date is less instinctive to read.

The 2004 Zenith Rainbow Flyback was a grail for some time. I like all the classic style Rainbow's, but the Flyback looks that little bit more sporty/military, as well as having the flyback complication. It's got a lovely feel to it, and the dial is one of the most legible I have. Zenith are one of the underdog brands that don't get the recognition they deserve IMO. If I had one minor criticism of this model, it's that arguably it's not retro looking enough to be classic, but not quite modern enough to be modern - I think the style will ease into classic though.

A Seiko diver is requisite for any collection. I like the Pepsi style bezel of the SK009 . In-house movement, great value - job done! Only negatives are the bracelet (which stretches) and mine has always run +15s or so.

The Speedie Pro is no doubt another classic - in fact is probably the most timeless watch IMO - I know the Speedie historians will disagree, but the changes really have been negligible over the years. Mine is one of the early ones with the newer-style bracelet - not for the purists, but very comfortable. I can't really think of any downsides, but again it is possibly perceived as common.

My Sinn EZM2 was a bit of an impulse purchase in 2005. I liked the idea of the oil-filled case, with the resulting uber-water -resistance and excellent off-axis legibility under water.

PART 2 TO FOLLOW

After a bit of a hiatus I'm into the newer part of my collection with my Panerai 312. When looking at the initially bewildering PAM range, I soon decided that I preferred a Luminor Marina, 1950's case, sandwich dial, no cyclops, date and seconds only, and ideally an in-house movement with display back. ( I still believe the classic PAM look is time only, seconds at a push, but I need the date). This leads to the 312/320/328 etc range - and I ended up with the 312. Panerai are a marmite brand - some will never get on with the looks, others see them as a cynically revived faux manufacture. I love the look of them though - they are unlike most other watches, the chunky looks actually work as the design is meant to be oversized, and the whole strap thing is great fun (especially when it's so easy to change straps with the quick-release). It is a great casual watch, and with a change of strap can look very smart/casual. I should also add that the case quality and finish is very good. It is however, very easy to catch the thick case on furniture etc so the easy-to-mark bezel picks up damage in no time.

Late 2011 I happened upon a Blancpain Fifty Fathoms in a Xmas sale. I wasn't really looking at the time, but I had always been keen on the new style FF. The FF is IMO in the fairly exclusive "luxury diver" category i.e. useable dive watches by the traditionally high-end manufacturers. It's main competitors are the AP ROO, JLC Divers and (at a push) the Patek Aquanaut. I don't consider the regular AP, Nautilus and VC Overseas as divers (more of which below), and I don't really think gold casing has any place in a dive watch. The ROO Chrono wears too big for me, and I'm not 100% with the dial, the ROO Diver looks cleaner, but is still a bit chunky IMO, so for me it would have to be the FF or a JLC. Also I decided I prefer the 3-handers to the chrono's in both designs.

Now I know there have been split opinions about the FF, both in terms of the design (particularly the size and the "Blancpain" on the side) and the question of whether it's "worth" the asking price. I initially thought the 46mm FF would be too big for me (my wrists are 6.5"-7" depending on temperature/exercise), but actually found it fits surprisingly well for such a large diameter case. This is partly because it's on a strap, but also the length and curvature of the lugs ensure it curves around the wrist slightly. Similarly the writing on the side of the case looks remarkably subdued in real life - photos tend to exaggerate it. I really do feel the build quality is superb - the sapphire coated bezel is lovely, the case is very solid and well finished, and the dial has plenty of subtle detail. By the time you add an in-house 120-hour Blancpain movement, all-in-all I feel it fulfils the remit of a luxury dive watch - and I would say it feels sufficiently special in comparison with e.g. a £5.5k Rolex. It was also the watch I took on holiday as I feel it is a great all rounder - great for swimming and touring around, but classy enough to wear to nice restaurants in the evening. It is perhaps too large to wear with a suit, but in many respects it is a fantastic all-rounder.

My first 2012 purchase was an AP Royal Oak 15300st. The RO is one of the holy trinity of sports watches ; of which the other members are the VC Overseas and the Patek Nautilus. I must confess that I didn't use to really like any of them, but my heart has warmed to all three now. I don't consider any of these quite as rough-and-ready as the FF, as they all have complex, chamfered polished/lapped finishes on the case and bracelet, which mean you do have to be far more careful with them (unless you really dig your wabi). What they all have is that sophisticated sports/casual look (sorry for being Partridgesque) - they are proper high-end watches, but not typical gold case/leather strap pieces.

I think that in all three models the simple 3-handers look the cleanest - I think the more complicated versions tend to water down the purity of the Genta style. Truth is, in an ideal world I'd prefer the Naut - it's a lovely watch, but the price is significantly higher than the other two (especially post discount). Similarly the 15202 is at too high a premium to justify over the 15300 IMO (and that is within spitting distance of the Naut anyway). The problem with the VC is seeing them, never mind finding one at the price you want. So the dilemma was which regular RO to go for, especially since the larger 15400 was imminent. I much prefer the "AP" at 12 on the 15300 (although purist will argue that this isn't historically sympathetic), but the slightly thinner bezel on the 15400 (possibly just relative) makes it a little more like the 15202. Similarly the 15400's longer indices are nice, but look clumsy at the 3 position. AFAIK bracelets are the same. The 15400 definitely wears bigger, even though it was ok on my wrist, but the 15300 is a probably better unless you have really big wrists. Colour-wise the white "pops" the most, whilst the black and blue look more subtle, but still very nice. I suppose I'd have been happiest with the 15300 in white or the 15400 in blue or black - simply because on the white making the watch wear bigger and the darker dials making it smaller. I would also say the black and blue dials veer towards more casual, and the white towards the dressy. A white dial 15300 came up (only 6 months old so still under AP warranty), so my choice was made.

The RO is yet another marmite watch - it is unashamedly 70's, but I would add that it isn't really a retro design as it is essentially a subtle variation on the original watch (a bit like the Sub has only changed slowly over the years, the RO has less). It is also very angular, almost sharp to the touch. If you're a fan however, there is much to love.

As I said above, I think that it isn't really a sports watch in the sense that a Sub is - for starters it's very thin (the 15202 must be like a sliver), and also the finishing is not only quite easy to mark, it's difficult to restore. I don't like to be precious with my watches, but part of the appeal of the RO is the exquisite lapped sections contrasting with the highly polished facets - I really wouldn't like to scratch this one up as the effect will be ruined. Both of these mean it becomes very much a dressy/sporty hybrid - a watch that looks great for work with a suit (and hence why the 15400 in white would look too big for me), but is also suitable for casual wear when you're not doing anything too strenuous. The RO was to replace my IWC Portuguese 5001 - a watch I bought to be an everyday work wearer, and although it was another grail, it turned out to be a bit thick (especially given the delicate bezel-edge), and more suited to smart/casual - the RO white dial is more a work watch that you can also wear casually IMO.

The most striking feature of the RO is it's dial - it really is beautiful - the 3D effect of the tapisserie is not only striking in the way that the indices then appear to float above it, but it also eliminates glare and reflections to make it very legible.

All-in-all the RO is a beautiful watch - the AP in-house movement is pretty (but not stunning), but it has excellent pedigree, and a 60-hour PR is very useful. I would go as far as saying that it is pretty close to being a perfect all-rounder IMO - if you like the 70's style, and you're not afraid of the odd scratch and ding, then it's quite difficult to think of watch that strikes such a great balance between sporty and dressy. If you want to keep it in good nick, then it's an ideal "work watch" - classy, just flash enough, and a very good size (in terms of both diameter and thickness) for all but the very-large or very-small wristed. My only real criticism of the RO is the aforementioned durability of the finish.

PART 3 TO FOLLOW

More recently I've had a bit of a Glashutte Original phase. This came about after a number of enquiries came to fruition. GO are yet another underdog brand, and I initially wasn't really keen on their designs (other than the Sport Evo), but after seeing Jocke's pics of the PanoInverse and PanoMaticLunar (and especially their movements) I was intrigued. My favourite was probably always the PML - partly because the small rotor compliments the duplex swan neck perfectly, and partly because the moonphase is an attractive complication to have on the dial. The dilemma was that there were a number of options to choose from - the old PML came in two sizes with two dial colours, and the upcoming PML is one size with a thinner bezel in two dial colours. Added to this is the fact that at the time the new model was not in the AD's. With my usual tendency to classify my watches, I intended to use the PML as a smart/casual hybrid. From pics I was undecided between the old PML XL with grey dial and thicker bezel - which has quite a chunky casual look, that dresses up nicely, or the new thin bezel with grey dial which is a little bit more formal. The lighter dials in both models are more formal IMO. I decided to think it over, and maybe get a look at the new models in person.

In the mean time I got a look at the PanoInverse - this took me by surprise, as really it's a bit of an oddity. Legibility isn't great, it has no date, but it certainly has something about it. It's great to show off the double swan neck on the front, and the striping on the front gives it a constantly changing appearance, which is almost 3D from some angles. The old/new conundrum was much more easily settled with the PI, as I think the thinner bezel of the new version ruins the proportions of the "dial" - the old version is certainly the one to go for IMO. I felt I "had" to go for the older PI!

The PI is a lovely watch. It has the familiar barrel-shaped case, with a combination of brushed and polished surfaces. The duplex swan neck regulator is a sight to behold - not quite the intricate detail of a Lange, but stunning from all but the closest distances. The strap is lovely - the charcoal colour and nubuck texture are wonderful - especially going with the ruthenium plated front. The clasp is also fantastically engineered. It is a mm or two thinner than the PML, which makes it very comfortable on the wrist. Ironically, I haven't really worn it very much. I've more just looked at it in wonder!

Now shortly after I got the PI, one of my enquiries about a PML XL came back to me. This left me with a dilemma, as the older versions of the PML were becoming increasingly hard to get hold of. Most of the internet dealers who were advertising the PML, couldn't actually get it, and were basically saying they were waiting for the new PML's in Aug/Sept. I still wasn't sure about the thin bezel, even though I preferred the smaller indices of the new model. What swung it in the end was the fact that I intended to wear the watch as a sport/dressy hybrid - I think if I were to wear a Pano purely as dress watch I would go for a new-model PanoReserve since these are again a mm or two thinner, and thus more suitable for under a shirt sleeve. (NB the new PML is actually slightly thicker than the old PML XL, but the older non-XL PanoMatic's are thinner).

Once I had it, I was not disappointed with the PML XL - again the case is fantastic, and very IWC-like in design, feel and finish. The dial really is lovely - nicely matt, the gold/white moonphase compliments it nicely, and the big indices are nowhere near as obtrusive in the real world. The nubuck strap and fantastic clasp are again a winner. It does wear quite big, but certainly less so than my old IWC 5001 - so unless you've got really small wrists, the XL size is fine. The movement really is truly stunning though, and this is the PML's trump card - the dual swan neck and mini rotor with the 3/4 plate is such a fantastic view.

My most recent purchase was a bit of an impulse buy. Whilst in the US this year I had at last got to see a decent range of GO's. One that I really wanted to see was the Seventies - I wasn't sure whether the size would be for me, whether the design was a bit too self-consciously retro, and whether the sunburst effect dials were that impressive in person. I got to see all three variations. I was a bit non-plused by the white dial - it had a bit of a mother-of-pearl effect, but didn't really do much for me; the black/grey dial was much more interesting; the blue dial was wild! I swayed between the black and blue dial - the black is certainly a bit more subtle whilst still having the interesting sunburst effect, the blue can look downright vivid when the light hits it a certain way, possibly too much for some. I saw them both in different AD's under various different light conditions, and what I found though is that under lower light levels the blue becomes less in-yer-face whilst still looking fantastic (often a very deep sky blue), whereas the black then became a bit subdued. Either is great depending on personal taste, but since I don't have any other blue dials, I couldn't resist going for a blue dial version.

When I initially got the watch, I was a little concerned about whether it was a bit too big - it wears much bigger than the 40mm spec. This is not in terms of bulk, as the case is relatively thin at 11.5mm, it actually fits very comfortably, it's more the apparent size on the wrist - the way the bracelet integrates with the case exaggerates this. I have since acclimatized to the watch and now feel it's fine - probably more of a casual watch rather than a work one though for me.

In all other respects the Seventies is a great watch - the dial is stunning, the case very well made and finished (IWC-like again), and the icing on the cake is the bracelet. It is fully solid, with brushed/polished links, has a nice alternating large/small link pattern which not only looks good, but helps it wrap around the wrist nicely, and finally the micro-adjustment is by the pusher on the clasp, allowing you to make changes without undoing the clasp. The panorama date is a nice bonus, and takes the watch away from being a more mundane 3-hander.

I do find myself wondering where to go next. I don't really want to increase the number of watches I have - partly I don't want more cash tied up in watches, but also I like to wear all of my watches, and once you get above 5 or 6, I think you stop appreciating each watch as much. (I do realise I'm a lucky bugger to have this dilemma though!). I also think I've probably got too many sporty watches, and not enough dressy ones.

I toy with the idea of reducing numbers but getting a really special dress watch - there is a temptation to sell 3 watches and pick up something high-end. In the confines of the (semi) real world, I am drawn to several options. My experience with GO had drawn me to Lange - having seen these in the US I have to say that they really do look very special - especially the movements - they are similar to some of the GO movements in layout, but with a finer level of finishing. The simple 1815 and Richard Lange are lovely, and the Lange 1 also appeals (although again the simpler ones are preferable). The Datograph is simply fantastic, but way too expensive for me. Probably the best Lange's for me are a 1 base, moon or daymatic, or a Richard Lange.

Broadly similar is one of the Breguet Classique range - again I recently saw these in person, and the HW simple watches with the guilloche dials are absolutely beautiful. The 5967 in particular is a lovely dress watch.

Another itch that needs scratching is a perpetual - it's a bit of a WIS milestone, and again it has to be a real(-ish) world option so Lange, Patek etc are out of the question. The options for me are the (related) JLC Master 8-Day and IWC Portuguese Perpetual's - both companies have combined the perpetual module with 7/8-day movements - a wise move IMO, as this makes them a more useable prospect. I suspect the Port may be a little large for me, but it's a fantastic watch. The JLC Grand Reveil is an interesting variation on the JLC range - the alarm not only unusual, it's quite practical - but you do lose the longer power reserve. The other "affordable" perpetual is the GO Senator Perp - this is the cleanest, most legible real-world perpetual IMO so I could be seriously tempted. I'm still undecided whether the newer Roman-numeral models are more attractive than the older baton-indices - I think the Roman's make it a little more dressy.

I sometimes think that I would be pretty happy with just the RO, the FF and a dress watch of some description (anything from a Lange/Patek to a JLC/GO), and I would have most bases covered.

All I can say is, er, blimey!

Awesome collection. Apart from the Senator Sixties, I'd have each of those in a flash. Thanks for posting.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Fabulous collection of watches . Thanks for sharing.

Been thinking about an FF for some time. I think you have convinced me that I need one .
    Love the GOs too, and the JLC.. In fact they are all great

Wow, a seriously nice collection of watches there!

Blog Entries
    Interesting, informative and inspirational...

Not only did I enjoy the superb photography, but its also nice to hear the inner thought processes associted with each watch. The GO are simply beautiful and your post has nudged them further up my wish list, particlarly the PML XL as I prefer the, (slightly) more understated look without the double swan neck exposed on the dial.

Being a recent receiver of an EZM2 I can totally appreciate how that watch, (along with the Seiko) can sit in the more estemed company without embarassing itself. The JLC sometimes leave me cold in photos, but interstingly, (to me) the wrist shot brings that watch more alive than the other shots.

I'm also a Genta design fan, so the AP would sit happily in my collection, although realistically a little beyond my means / 'stomachability' as you suggest PP would be to you. I'll stick with my Inigenieur for the time being - perhaps it's arguably the fourth member of the 'holy trinity', (oxymoron accepted)?

I can't recall if you posted in the recent thread on the subject, but if you really had to chose just one to keep I wonder which it would be?

Thanks for taking the time to prepare and post, hope you catch up on some sleep soon!

Cheers,

Rob
    Last edited by AIDM; 17th August 2012 at 15:06.

WOW!! thanks for the great shots and the amazing write ups... if you were to flip, how would you decided what to let go?!?!!!!

Interesting: and the GOs really do stand comparison with some pretty illustrious watches. Like the pics too. Be interesting to see what comes next: a PP perhaps?

Rob, you have an amazing collection, and aside from the lack of vintage love your taste matches mine very closely. Definitely one of the nicest group of watches on here, I'd say, and frankly (aside from old) I have no idea where you go next.

I'll have to check where you live because I'd like you to come to the next HB&B GTG!

Hi Rob

Love the post, love the pics and love some of the watches (Master Moon, GO PanoInverse and PanomaticLunar, in particular).

My tastes are slightly different to yours - I would sell the Panerai, FF and AP and buy a Breguet (probably a moonphase complication). After trying on a couple at the boutique I would buy a Breguet before PP, Lange, etc.

Thanks for all the comments, chaps!

Quote Originally Posted by AIDM View Post

I'm also a Genta design fan, so the AP would sit happily in my collection, although realistically a little beyond my means / 'stomachability' as you suggest PP would be to you. I'll stick with my Inigenieur for the time being - perhaps it's arguably the fourth member of the 'holy trinity', (oxymoron accepted)?

I can't recall if you posted in the recent thread on the subject, but if you really had to chose just one to keep I wonder which it would be?
    I would certainly include the Inge as a "high-end sports", especially with the Genta connection. I did consider it a while back, as it's a cracking watch, but it wears too thick for my wrists.

As of which to keep, I'd be very pushed to chose between the FF and RO TBH. The RO probably just nudges it as an all-rounder.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Rob, you have an amazing collection, and aside from the lack of vintage love your taste matches mine very closely. Definitely one of the nicest group of watches on here, I'd say, and frankly (aside from old) I have no idea where you go next.

I'll have to check where you live because I'd like you to come to the next HB&B GTG!
    I'm in Cheshire - so I should try and make a Manchester GTG.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    My tastes are slightly different to yours - I would sell the Panerai, FF and AP and buy a Breguet (probably a moonphase complication). After trying on a couple at the boutique I would buy a Breguet before PP, Lange, etc.
    I know what you mean, I think it's the dials that make Breguet stand out from the more conservative PP and Lange.

Quote Originally Posted by OliverCD View Post
    WOW!! thanks for the great shots and the amazing write ups... if you were to flip, how would you decided what to let go?!?!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by simoscribbler View Post
    Interesting: and the GOs really do stand comparison with some pretty illustrious watches. Like the pics too. Be interesting to see what comes next: a PP perhaps?
    This is where I'm having trouble.

The top contenders that are not ridiculously expensive are the ones I mentioned - JLC 8-day Perp in SS, Lange 1 RG or WG, Breguet Classique RG or GO Perp in SS or RG. In order to make the figures work, I would need to flip two or three.

Although I have recently traded my IWC GST Chrono, IWC 5001, and Navi 01, I still find it difficult to let watches go. It probably makes sense to flip a GO, as I normally try and have a "one per brand" rule. It would also depend on what comes up e.g. I would probably flip my JLC to get an 8-day Perp, but not otherwise.

Shropshire, UK, by the grace of God. dougdarter@aol.com
    A fabulous collection, and one that shows great taste.

I was looking through and mentally adding values. I'd guess twice my annual pension!!

Rob, over time I have seen most of these watches in your posts, but to see them all together in one thread is quite something. There is not a single watch which I wouldn't immediately consider. Impressive!

Fab collection.

Think I missed that FF in Wilmslow by a day or 2 last Xmas. Tried another on and it felt so right on me, great quality and presence, definitely on my list at some point.

Malc

Master
    Rob
    As a relative newbie to the wonderful world of watch collecting, and one who is at the low-mid range of watches (thank you economic downturn!!) I had to pick my lower jaw from the floor after looking at the awesome watches in your post. You truely are a lucky man!
    The FF and AP are up there imo as 2 of the greatest watches ever. Either one would be a grail watch (the FF nudges it i think), and the hope of one day owning one is what keeps me going!
    All the best,
    Si.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by simoscribbler View Post
    Interesting: and the GOs really do stand comparison with some pretty illustrious watches. Like the pics too.
    i agree wholeheartedly with that statement. i'm not really sure though what a PP could offer even though some enthusiasts regard PP as the most sought after watch in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by robcat View Post
    This is where I'm having trouble.

I still find it difficult to let watches go. It probably makes sense to flip a GO, as I normally try and have a "one per brand" rule.
    i've already been given the advice/warning that this place twists your head and compels you to buy watches, well i've bought one but with a level head. yeah maybe you feel you have too many watches, but don't ever feel they are money tied up, it's a passion or hobby.

the fact that you have three Glashutte Original says a lot about that brand.... and by far the first one in your pics was the standout watch of the whole collection in my eyes. starting out, i'd have the same one per brand rule, but rules are there to be broken. perhaps a little too far with the third in the pic sequence and if you had to let one go (to make room for another watch in the collection) then that could be the obvious choice, but i would consider another watch instead as by far the third GO is much classier than some of the others (i have singled one out, but it is not fair to say which one).

at the same time, if you are unsure of where to go from here in regards of your collection, perhaps leave it as it is until there is something you see in the flesh (rather than browsing the internet) that urges you to scratch the itch!

Craftsman
    as to the question, where do you go from here? perhaps there is something rather overlooked in the world right on your doorstep. hand made by an artisan watchmaker, they only make 10 watches per year, and the waiting list for unique design is 8 years!

Open dial watch

something that is made in small numbers per year, from a watchmaker that learned from the best. and you get so see a lot of the movement through the watchface. a truly individual piece of craftmanship.

Journeyman
    That is a seriously top shelf collection, replete with all kinds of horological goodness. Nice descriptions/thoughts too.

an absolutely stunning collection you have. i've some of the same pieces that you have and want some others that you have especially the AP and a PML.

the lines on the panoinverse power reserve display dont look that sharp to me - like little black bits either side of the engraved display - is that the case or am i looking at it odd?

the iwc perpetual would look fantastic next to your current collection!

Master
    Stunning collection and really excellent and interesting posts.

Quote Originally Posted by teeth man View Post

the lines on the panoinverse power reserve display dont look that sharp to me - like little black bits either side of the engraved display - is that the case or am i looking at it odd?
    I think it's an artifact from scaling the pic down to 1000 width, plus reflections from the striping. It looks much better here, with only the odd reflection.

Macro photography is a bugger for showing up every last detail though.

Your photography skills are exceptional, probably the best on the forum (IMO) and your watches aren't too shabby either.

Not fussed on the Zenith and Seiko but the rest make for a stunning collection. Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by robcat View Post
    I think it's an artifact from scaling the pic down to 1000 width, plus reflections from the striping. It looks much better here, with only the odd reflection.

Macro photography is a bugger for showing up every last detail though.

i thought it would have been me!

looks even more stunning, super photography skills!

Master
    Collections like this leave me speechless!
    This represents a dream collection for me and it is very close to my tastes. I'm in awe- and quite envious of course....

Alex

Master
    thats some collection, each a cracker in it's own right.
    interesting read too

Nice post and nice collection fella. It's not often I see one where over 50% of them are ones I'd like myself. The photo's are great and not necessarily for the easily bored ;] Although I did skip a couple myself *cough*

I particularly love the PAM and the Zenith although I do really like the PML XL (?) the 'plainer' Glashutte with the moon dial. I feel mildly envious now :]

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for taking the time to write it. Beautiful collection.

Those are not iPhone pics though! Those are for the easily bored! ;-)

Great collection!

I agree with your comments about a high end dress watch - how about something like a JLC 1931 reverso ultra thin in rose gold?

Appreciate that doesnt have a date but I think you would get used to it. I had a date "fetish" :-) until I owned (and wore every day) a Stowa MO.

Brilliant thread. A stunning collection of watches with considerate and skilful photography.

Interesting to read the philosophy behind each selection and the thought that had gone into them. Reassuring as well that the limitations of some of the watches were honestly appraised, such as the Pam and or RO being slightly more delicate and that they weren't put on pedestals because of their worth.
    The glashuttes are works of art, stunning. I am definetly inspired

Journeyman
    Stunning photos matched by very interesting thoughts on orology. An excellent read. Thanks. And congratulations on that collection !

I really like that first picture. The rest of the watches aren't to my taste but some of the shots show how well they're made, the detailing on the AP for example is great.
    "A man of little significance"

Sensational collection - you seem to have most bases covered. I really like the FF and your AP is stunning. Apart from a dress watch, maybe a really top- notch chrono would make a nice addition. A VC or Patek with the Lemania movement, maybe?? Or a Lange?

Anyway, thanks for sharing such superb photos

Master
    What a stunning, well thought out, and comprehensive collection. I can't really compliment more than has already been done. I am terribly terrible jealous. Well done mate.

This thread seems to have got resurrected! (Not by me as a blatant plug for my SC post I might add).

Thanks for the comments though!