closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: My first proper watch in over 20 years

Craftsman

My first proper watch in over 20 years

arrived in the post this morning! for the past 20 years i have had 2 different watches and both were quartz.... all that has now changed! it's an automatic which is a bonus.. what attracted me to buy it was the fact it is rather plain case with blue dial and easy to read hands. the lume on the hands and markers work rather well in low light and glow nicely in complete darkness.

haven't told the wife yet that i want a nice blue leather strap with deployment clasp to compliment it yet! but i think that it will set the watch off nicely and is a personal thing. didn't want a watch with metal bracelet, as i find them uncomfortable and sweaty in the summer heat (!) which is non existent at the moment.

well no point talking more about it as it seems piccies are the way to go, so i won't disappoint!

if i've got the sizing wrong, then i will come back and re-adjust them as necessary.

I like the simple elegance and straight-forwardness of the design. Nothing too clever going on, just a hard-working timepiece. Good choice!

Is it just the photos or is the lume blue coloured

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by uaireadoir View Post
    Is it just the photos or is the lume blue coloured
    it is just the photo, the white balance was not set to compensate the colour temperature. the lume has a green glow to it.

Nice looking watch and great value.

I have a bit of a thing for going to acquire a sarb and really appreciate the Seiko autos.

I imagine from your other posts that the clear back and visible movement was a real attraction.

Quote Originally Posted by cornish View Post
    it is just the photo, the white balance was not set to compensate the colour temperature. the lume has a green glow to it.

ah ok, pity as I thought the light blue lume was nice

Wink

There you go one blue leather strap on deployment and with no pin holes in it.

http://www.watch-band-center.com/wat...-Challeng.html

I searched long and hard for that. Nice watch BTW

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by hellominky View Post
    Nice looking watch and great value.

I have a bit of a thing for going to acquire a sarb and really appreciate the Seiko autos.

I imagine from your other posts that the clear back and visible movement was a real attraction.
    the clear back and visible movement was a prerequisite to the purchase. not that i want to wear it upside down or anything, just knowing that before i put it on or take it off i can see the movement and that thrills me no end!

it was also purchased in the uk too, did look at the other site from abroad mentioned in an earlier thread, but with customs tax if you get hit with it, wouldn't have been that much cheaper.

Craftsman
    Very nice, would it be rude to ask how much it cost? If it's not, how much did you spend on this?

Shropshire, UK, by the grace of God. dougdarter@aol.com
    Good choice! Welcome to the wonderful world of mechanical watches!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by snedboy View Post
    There you go one blue leather strap on deployment and with no pin holes in it.

http://www.watch-band-center.com/wat...-Challeng.html

I searched long and hard for that. Nice watch BTW
    thanks a lot :) will check back to see when they have replenished the stock of that one.

Quote Originally Posted by baz osti View Post
    Very nice, would it be rude to ask how much it cost? If it's not, how much did you spend on this?
    it was £114 inc VAT and ordered yesterday lunchtime, delivered this morning RM next day insured special delivery which cost £6.90, so all in all not bad. comes in box with seiko worldwide guarantee and also was well packaged by the vendor.

Craftsman
    Thanks and worth every penny IMO.

Good choice - and good value too. But a word of warning: spend too much time on here and it is unlikely to be your last purchase....

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by simoscribbler View Post
    Good choice - and good value too. But a word of warning: spend too much time on here and it is unlikely to be your last purchase....
    a few weeks ago, had a look around tthe local jewellers shops and most of them sell the expensive brands, and you rarely see watches in the lower end price bracket like the one i've just purchased, with the exception of HSamuel but they only sell quartz watches.

it was either a toss-up of buying this one or spending huge amounts of money on 0% finance and possibly waking up the following morning with a bandage between my legs instead of a bag!

[QUOTE=cornish;2400505]thanks a lot :) will check back to see when they have replenished the stock of that one.

They might have it in your lug size as that one is for 22mm which is what I was looking for at the time.
    Last edited by snedboy; 17th August 2012 at 19:49.

Nice watch!

Good choice.

A watch that will give you really good service and for a great price. No worries about any potential huge servicing bill down the line.

Perhaps the look could be improved if they did away with the numerals and just relied on the markers.

Mitch

Master
    Nice Seiko, I like it! Congratulations and enjoy :-)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by snedboy View Post
    They might have it in your lug size as that one is for 22mm which is what i was looking for at the time.
    had a quick measure with a taperule, which isn't exactly the best thing for measuring this kind of thing, but it looks like 22mm is the size required. have a digital sliding vernier somewhere that i can use to measure it but not sorting through my toolbox right now as i'm happy so far with the watch, it's comfortable on my wrist and the strap feels okay certainly a lot more comfortable than the metal bracelet of my other watch.

it will be something though that i want to put on in the near future, just to give the watch 'the look' i want. at the moment, there is no rush. surprised at how comfy the nylon strap is.

the big question is 'do i think this watch is worth the money?'

well i think it's worth every penny. all in cost was £120.90 inclusive vat and postage. when i weigh that up to my other watch (ellesse) that i have, it cost me £200 fifteen years ago and feel that i have a nice proper watch again with a round case instead of the 'square' case on my other watch. it also feels like a watch instead of a piece of fashion jewellry.

also comparing to another watch i had previous, which was a citizen chronograph with gold plating..... this new watch beats that hands down. the citizen after perhaps 4 years, the bracelet started to fall apart. and the citizen was quartz.... i think it cost about £90 new, perhaps about 18-20 years ago and was a bling thing.

so value for money this new watch wins hands down.... in terms of what drives the watch, quartz or mechanical, this watch wins hands down.

i had an old Timex before that, mechanical manual watch for years until it died. it was quite a small watch, bearing in mind i was probably about 10 years old when i had it as an xmas gift. i now have a watch again that i can put to my ear and hear the ticking :)

I bloody love Seiko 5s!

Can't go wrong with Seiko 5s - incredible value in my opinion. Won't be long before you get an itch to add another I bet!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimster View Post
    Can't go wrong with Seiko 5s - incredible value in my opinion. Won't be long before you get an itch to add another I bet!
    well it won't be this side of christmas i can assure you! there are plenty nice watches out there without the high end brand price, and i don't feel it would be a collection either... rather than buying a watch i like because it satisfies a certain criteria..... my next watch will have a power reserve meter on it. it looks classy enough as a dress watch and is rather inexpensive.

it's an orient with white dial and blue hands, to me it looks rather special with that power reserve meter and visible movement.....

orient vintage watch

and it doesn't cost the earth!
    Last edited by cornish; 17th August 2012 at 21:24.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimster View Post

Think you've hit the nail on the head there Jimster, can't go wrong with this one every house should have one, nice catch.

Blog Entries
    Had it, loved it, sold it. It looks great on a nato and on leather. Enjoy!

Very nice watch, good choice OP

Lovely watch, punches above its weight.

Seiko certainly know how to produce good solid value watches throughout the price range

Craftsman
    thanks everyone :) it sounds like i haven't made a wrong choice.... it has the 7s36 movement posted in the other thread about movements. this morning when i woke up, i thought the display window for movement looked a little dull, cleaned with a cloth and still looked dull.... WTH..... then realised there was a sticky clear thing to preserve the glass for shipping! hahahaha. d'oh!