closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Thinking about a Milgauss

Thinking about a Milgauss

Non-Rolex owner looking for a bit of advice here and not a Rolex/Milgauss-bashing thread.

I've been thinking about moving on a couple of watches and getting something that I can wear both formally and down the pub. I do sometimes work in areas with strong magnetic fields (though I don't usually wear a watch to work) so the Milgauss appeals from that perspective. I'm drawn to the version with the green crystal as I like the contrast with the black dial and orange second hand. I would like my next watch to be a Rolex but I don't dive so a sub or SD isn't required.

Have any Milgauss owners got any strong feelings or advice about the watch before I take the plunge? I would be looking at second-hand so advice about what I should be looking for in terms of a used Rolex would also be handy as I have been more of an Omega man up to this point.

Cheers.

I plunged for a black dial non GV. It's a fantastic watch. I'm wearing it right now.

I saw them all in an AD and just preferred the matt black, the green crystal was ok but I did not like the dial on the GV.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

ex-Milgauss owner

I had a dark dialled Milgauss (non GV) for a few months but ended up selling it - basically I found it far too shiny (the smooth bezel and PCLs). I really wanted to like it but just couldn't get over noticing everytime I scatched or marked another shiny surface... I know they'll come out but it bothered me. Feel much more comfortable with a sub (I don't dive by the way) as I feel it's less scratch prone.

The Milgauss (Green dial/crystal) is likely one of the very few Rolex models I would be willing to try. It also happens to be the most disliked Rolex in current production. Go figure.

Great watch having purchased a GV from this very forum.

Only negative is the Polished Links.

Think the dial is a bit marmite, you either love it or hate it.

In my case I think it's great.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I bought a gv back in 2009 new from an ad. I had to wait a year as there was a list for the gv back then(how times change). I think I had worn it 8 times by the time I sold it at the start of the year. I found very shiny and was always worried about scratching it. In the end it went because I never bonded with it and preferred my sub. I would say though it did get compliments as it is an unusual Rolex. If you have a need for more formal watches then I reckon it's a good half way house, and the mag fields you mention would put you in the minority of us who use our tool watches for their intended purpose : )

I like the lightning bolt seconds hand, but that's about it on that watch I'm afraid. How about a DateJust as a non-sports Rolex?

Thanks for the responses so far!

The Milgauss is the only one of the current Rolex lineup in consideration at the moment, partly because of its anti-magnetic resistance, and partly because I see a lot of the rest of the range when I go out drinking in the local pubs and bars. I don't have anything against the sports and non-sports range at all, but I'd rather have something a little more unusual as this will be my first watch that is non-vintage.

I might try and call in to the local AD though just to triple-check that I have the right crystal/dial combo in mind...

Milli

I had the black Milgauss for a while. I really liked the second hand and the overall design apart from the polishing.
    I found it a little too shiny especially on the bracelet.
    That's why I wore mine on a Toshi.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have a white dial version. It does wear a bit bigger than a sub IMHO and is quite heavy.

I wear it a lot and it does tend to pick up scratches, but nothing that won't polish out...

I love it.

I've got a GV. Probably doesn't get worn enough as when I do wear it, feels great and enjoy wearing it. Love the lightning hand.

My first impression was it was a little small but don't even think about that now.

Malc

Master
    A friend if mine has just bought one - last week. A beautiful thing and for some reason it fells lovely to touch. He (and I) tried on all 3 and for my 10 pence worth, go white faced.

Well... it's shiny!

Nice option if you find the Datejust too small, much better proportioned than the DJ2.
    I think it makes a great daily wearer, not too sporty, not too plain.
    GV is the way to go!

Master
    My first Rolex was a white Milgauss.

Without a cyclops it works pretty good.

People who are not in to watches don't see the value in it.

Craftsman
    I went for the black faced one, brilliant weight to it, people don't pick up on what it is which is an added bonus. I don't mind the polished finish, I find I notice scratches on brushed surfaces more as they become more aparent in daylight whereas the polished surfaces tend to shine and camouflage the swirls IMO

Blog Entries

Got a black dial version - as others have said - right size, nice weight and not so obviously 'Rolex' as the subs.

Dresses up well & dresses down well too.

z
    Last edited by zelig; 17th August 2012 at 12:12.

green glass is such a cool thing if you can pull it off
    aint seen one on the wrist of anyone out in the wild

pal of mines has one and gets comments on it all the time at dinner etc
    folk just think the glass and the orange bits in the dial are cool as

where as subs gmts are ten a penny seen two pepsi gmts today alone

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    ... because of its anti-magnetic resistance...
    How about non-Rolex like this one?
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345157157.726389.jpg

I really like the Milgauss although I want one that doesn't exist.

I like the black dial but like the dial of the normal black dial one but would like it with the green glass (I don't like the different coloured hour batons of the GV but like the green glass).

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by triumph coupe View Post
    I really like the Milgauss although I want one that doesn't exist.

I like the black dial but like the dial of the normal black dial one but would like it with the green glass (I don't like the different coloured hour batons of the GV but like the green glass).
    It does exist, I think. I have seen a thread somewhere with a non-GV with a green crystal. Expensive mod though.

A really beautiful watch

I love mine - thought I'd share a q&d wrist shot. I personally think its a great watch in any variation and I often wear mine as a 'dress' watch.
    Attached Images Attached Images

GV owner and i say go for it. Love the heft of it,the way the dial can do from being almost dark grey looking to black depending on the light and the amount of comments i have had from people catching the glint of green from the crystal has really surprised me and all of those comments have been complementary.

A few folk have said go for the white dial and in my eyes it's one that photo's very well but disapoints hugely when seen live.

Thanks again for the valuable input - it is much appreciated.

Went to the AD this afternoon and confirmed that it is the green sapphire crystal that I prefer.

Now I just need to decide whether used or new is the best option? Goldsmiths have 24 months 0% interest free and I could have a new watch, or I could get a used one for a significant saving. Not sure what to do...?

Great choice on the GV, I live mine and after a while the minor scratches it picks up don't bug you. You can probably get a used one in mint condition for about £4k which is a fair old saving on rrp, or if you're interested in interest free you could do 0% over four years at Ernest Jones with 25% down.

I too am thinking about the Milgauss, I love the look of the white dialled one at the minute. One question about the GV I was never sure of, is the green crystal just green on the edge near the bezel or the whole crystal? in pictures it only over looks like its the edge.

thanks

Dan

Craftsman
    If you like it buy it!

Really liked the white so tried the white, then tried the GV ended up buying a GV.

Quote Originally Posted by DANH View Post
    I too am thinking about the Milgauss, I love the look of the white dialled one at the minute. One question about the GV I was never sure of, is the green crystal just green on the edge near the bezel or the whole crystal? in pictures it only over looks like its the edge.

thanks

Dan
    To my eye it ran through the crystal, but was more prominent when viewed perpendicular to the face. That will probably turn out to be bollocks, but that was the impression I was left with. I absolutely loved the way it looked and handled - a very nice watch indeed and something more than a little out of the ordinary.

Quote Originally Posted by DANH View Post

thanks

Dan
    If its just the edges, it's a fake.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

I was never a huge Rolex fan but had always loved the gv. I decided to go for one and have had mine for about 3 years now and love it. Imo its a great formal watch (I wear suits day to day for work and it looks fantastic) but also works as something a bit more casual as well. If I was going to get any Rolex it would still be that one.

Never wanted one before but now.........

Liking more and more.