closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: ---Review of the new $83,000 Leo Messi AP Royal Oak

---Review of the new $83,000 Leo Messi AP Royal Oak

Master
    I'm not convinced by the look of the brushed platinum - doesn't do it for me.

Magnificient!!

Beautiful but too much expencive for me!

Master
    beautiful but brushed platinum seems abit wasteful maybe

Grand Master
    Way too expensive for a watch like that, you're talking $83k for about 50 grams of platinum, and pretty much a standard Royal Oak Chronograph. It's still funny that the gold version is just over $50k, yet gold is more expensive, how exactly does the platinum cost $33k more when it uses cheaper material?!

Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977 View Post
    Way too expensive for a watch like that, you're talking $83k for about 50 grams of platinum, and pretty much a standard Royal Oak Chronograph. It's still funny that the gold version is just over $50k, yet gold is more expensive, how exactly does the platinum cost $33k more when it uses cheaper material?!
    Gold is more expensive than platinum!?! When did that happen???

If I had the money, still not sure that this would be on my shopping list

Quote Originally Posted by Billyloves2boogie View Post
    Gold is more expensive than platinum!?! When did that happen???
    More often than you'd think! Today, for instance, an ounce of platinum runs £913.40 whilst gold would cost you £1,026.61.

---Review of the new $83,000 Leo Messi AP Royal Oak

I know this sounds daft, but it does not look like an $83k watch.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Master
    you'd think they would put a bracelet on it for that sort of money

I think it looks great but i couldnt bring myself to wear a watch with the name of a 25 year old footballer on it no matter how good he is.

It might be the photos, but some of the shots make it look like a bad fake. The AP letting on the dial looks distorted and the edges of the case don't seem well finished. Hopefully bad photography letting it down.

Last week in a restaurant in the mountains in Mallorca I had a bottle of "Leo" wine. It was a limited edition as well. Only cost 15 euros...probably because it was made out of grapes and not platinum.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977 View Post
    Platinum is much much more labour intensive to work with - ok so the mark up is a bit OTT but thats the loguc behind it.

Platinum and tantalum?

I'm not sure I've ever held tantalum. Is that as expensive as it gets metal-wise with watches?

Master
    God that looks nice!

AP would be the absolute top of my shopping list if I had a proper job!
    Tried on some stunners on holiday in LA including the black and yellow (bumblebee) Carbon case ROO.

Oh, and pure '999' gold (24ct?) is close to the Platinum price, but they don't work in pure gold, they water it down to (usually) '750' 18ct.
    Platinum is already '950' quality and remains so when used in jewellery and watches.
    So it's close to gold as a raw material, but much more expensive as an end product.

(plus a pain to work with, as mentioned).

Master
    I'm afraid I just can't get to grips with the shape and the bulk of the RO, no matter what it's made of. That said, I could never afford one anyway so there's no point in whining about it!

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    Platinum and tantalum?

I'm not sure I've ever held tantalum. Is that as expensive as it gets metal-wise with watches?
    Tantalum's mainly used in capacitors, so there's a small amount in every electronic object. Its also used in orthopedic implants. Its usually found in the form Coltan (Columbite Tantalite) which is very rare- there's a large deposit in DR Congo which rebels mined to sell for arms to fight their civil war (5.4million dead). Its so lucrative, something like one third of the children in Congo work in Coltan mines. I suppose there is an irony in children mining for hip replacements.

Rhodium is probably more expensive- corrosion resistant, very hard, used in jewellery finishes to give a mirror-polish. It used to be four or five times the gold price I think.

Quote Originally Posted by gentlemenpreferhats View Post
    Tantalum's mainly used in capacitors, so there's a small amount in every electronic object. Its also used in orthopedic implants. Its usually found in the form Coltan (Columbite Tantalite) which is very rare- there's a large deposit in DR Congo which rebels mined to sell for arms to fight their civil war (5.4million dead). Its so lucrative, something like one third of the children in Congo work in Coltan mines. I suppose there is an irony in children mining for hip replacements.

Rhodium is probably more expensive- corrosion resistant, very hard, used in jewellery finishes to give a mirror-polish. It used to be four or five times the gold price I think.
    Ah, thanks.

That is an eye-opener - the state of play in DR Congo shouldn't surprise me (I suppose) but it does.

Also didn't realise rhodium was that expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    beautiful but brushed platinum seems abit wasteful maybe
    It is different and a first though, and imgaine most folks reaction when you tell them it's platinum after they have commented on the fact it feels heavy for a titanium piece.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    I know this sounds daft, but it does not look like an $83k watch.
    Agree with this, but does any watch look like an $83k watch??

I do like the watch, but at that price I can't see many being sold!!

Royal Oak non-Offchore chrono: nice
    Brushed platinum: very nice
    Footballer-name-engraved limited edition: not so nice

I have to admit i like it, i like the fact they have NOT used the tapisserie dial for a change but i'd liked to have seen a sapphire caseback instead of the plain one they have on this.

Phfft! I wouldn't pay a penny over 80,000 for that.

Quote Originally Posted by agl89 View Post
    I think it looks great but i couldnt bring myself to wear a watch with the name of a 25 year old footballer on it no matter how good he is.

AP sure know how to give a watch a great cheesy spoiler dont they! never even heard of him.

Sure it will go down great in the middle east.

Master
    Blog Entries
    lovely watch but way out off my league

Nice watch but why does it need to be a tribute watch? What next the AP 'Wazza' for Rooney, in red leather with a football on the second hand!!!