closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: things the cats have dragged in

Master

things the cats have dragged in

following on from what seems to be a popular theme this week and i know there are some cat lovers on here.

i have 2, one of which is a little hunter and will bring birds, reptiles, frogs, shrew's and a few unidentifiable remnants, more often than not the birds, frogs and shrew's are not dead and i spend the evening chasing round the house and moving furniture and fridges out to get critters from behind them.
    The other one likes to think he is a hunter but is pretty lazy and will only bring pre-dead things in i.e. anything that has been hit and then run over by a car and left to bake in the sun for a few days until its stiff as a board, but he looks pleased with himself none the less

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    We've recently moved house to a more rural area and as a result have let our 2 year old cat (chilli, a female Toyger) outside for the first tim about 3 months ago. Shes in her element!

death count thus far (she only started killing 2 months ago)

1 sparrow
    7 mice (2 of which on the same day as the sparrow)
    3 Shrew (had to google image to find out what the ell it was)
    1 frog
    1 baby rabbit (carried by the head)

Squirrel once

I have a Bengal, who was quite friendly with many of the neighbours in my previous place.
    He was also able to open fridges, so we had cooked legs of chicken, bacon, lamb chops and sausages.
    Mice also, but why hunt when you can get it out of someone's fridge?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by PWatch View Post
    We've recently moved house to a more rural area and as a result have let our 2 year old cat (chilli, a female Toyger) outside for the first tim about 3 months ago. Shes in her element!

death count thus far (she only started killing 2 months ago)

1 sparrow
    7 mice (2 of which on the same day as the sparrow)
    3 Shrew (had to google image to find out what the ell it was)
    1 frog
    1 baby rabbit (carried by the head)
    Wow, you guys have a death count?

Craftsman
    Magpie chick (completely unharmed). Mum and dad (the magpie's, not mine) witnessed the kidnapping and for the next few springs cat was Magpie enemy number one; he'd get mobbed by at least one whenever he went out. The bird got so brazen it would walk in through the patio doors and help itself to the cat's food much to cat's embarrassment.

We don;t have a death count, more a "dragged in and played with" count. To date no deaths

1 bird who looked mighty annoyed by the whole experience.
    1 rabbit who proceeded to propel itself round the kitchen lying on its side.
    1 frog (never got in the house due to being spotted).
    3 worms.
    1 feather attached to a child's Native American headdress.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    We've had various bits of wildlife dragged in by our two Maine Coons...

baby sparrows (both dead and alive)
    adult sparrows (usually dead)
    baby pigeons
    pigeon eggs
    frogs
    slugs (usually stuck to their incredible fur coats)
    hundreds of mice (usually beheaded)

the fox that they both play with stays in the garden, although I am sure it has been through the cat flap a couple of times only to come face to face with a snarling chihuahua

Craftsman
    A baby squirrel. I got a call from my girlfriend as she was chasing it around the house with a broom. As soon as the cat dumped it on us, she had no more interest and actually looked at us with an expression that said 'why is there a squirrel in the house?'

The old moggie was a classic for bringing presents home:

2 x Koi (have no idea where he got them from...and frankly wasn't about to ask around)
    1 x Squirrel
    1 x Magpie
    Many, many frogs
    Some butterflies
    A large Bee

Apart from the usual, my cat has presented us with a dove and a mole.

Master
    My wife's cat once brought home a slice of fruit cake. As you can imagine, it was not particularly good as a hunter.

Pete

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ptcoll View Post
    My wife's cat once brought home a slice of fruit cake. As you can imagine, it was not particularly good as a hunter.

Pete
    So that is who actually eats the fruitcake :)

Our present cat Kevin has a penchant for squirrels, which he brings in alive and releases. His predecessor Lewis had a moorhen fetish and regularly presented us with prefectly fit moorhens which I had to repatriate at the nearby pond.
    My childhood cat Flipper lived with us on Bodmin Moor and liked slow worms, grass snakes, and the occasional adder. He had the knack of grabbing just behind the head fortunately. Quite a job catching and releasing adders. He once brought in a little owl, which couldn't fly due to an airgun pellet in the wing base. Ollie lived with us for many happy years and was Flipper's best friend.

Our cat is lethal for the local fauna, particularly in wet weather for some reason.

Think the most impressive was the fully grown magpie - not the kill but getting it through the cat flap!

My old cat (Cleo) once dragged a hedgehog up the garden path.....with the associated injuries to said cat !

Newest cat is a rescue cat who is a house cat....but i dead to think what would happen if she caught the magpies she loves to watch !

Craftsman
    Me neighbors Bengal had 83 rabbits in a 4 month period last year.

Funny thread and sounds all to familiar.

Best story I've heard was of a friend who found an empty cat food pouch on the kitchen floor in the morning (he used dried food). This happened several times and he concluded his cat must have done a midnight raid on a neighbouring house through the cat flap. He was proud as punch of his moggy feeding herself

Craftsman
    [QUOTE=oldandgrumpy;2397958
    Best story I've heard was of a friend who found an empty cat food pouch on the kitchen floor in the morning (he used dried food). This happened several times and he concluded his cat must have done a midnight raid on a neighbouring house through the cat flap. He was proud as punch of his moggy feeding herself [/QUOTE]

Excellent :) Good way to keep the food bill down. That would have been really good to catch on camera.

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    Our present cat Kevin has a penchant for squirrels, which he brings in alive and releases
    We foster cats, and the one we've had for a few months now went through a phase of doing this with mice.

Her record was four in one day. Thankfully my missus is happy to catch them.

Tris

Mine went through a phase over about a week or so of coming home with blocks of cheese. Huge big cheddar blocks of about a pound in weight or so. We never worked out where she was getting them from, or how the hell she was getting it home, over the fence and into the house.

Utterly bizarre

One of our departed british blues brought a variety of dead things,a large piece of roast beef (as in a complete joint that I suspect someone nearby had left to "rest" prior to eating it-I didn't make any enquiries!) and a large car washing sponge.

Re: things the cats have dragged in

Quote Originally Posted by geordie View Post
    Mine went through a phase over about a week or so of coming home with blocks of cheese. Huge big cheddar blocks of about a pound in weight or so. We never worked out where she was getting them from, or how the hell she was getting it home, over the fence and into the house.

Utterly bizarre
    I hope you cut the sides of and stuck it in the fridge :-)

Quote Originally Posted by tiny73 View Post

1 feather attached to a child's Native American headdress.

Quote Originally Posted by ptcoll View Post

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by geordie View Post

Utterly bizarre

Quote Originally Posted by chaplad View Post
    One of our departed british blues brought a variety of dead things,a large piece of roast beef (as in a complete joint that I suspect someone nearby had left to "rest" prior to eating it-I didn't make any enquiries!) and a large car washing sponge.

Hilarious Made me chuckle

Journeyman
    Too many mice to count.

2 rabbits; 1 of which he brought in by jumping 7 feet to get through the loo window (good lad!).

A shrew.

And 2 live bats.

A massive king Edward potato. It hid it behind the washing machine and had taken a couple of little bites out of it. No idea why, it must have relatively weighed a bloody ton.

10 years ago when i had cats, Live young rabbits X 2

caught one behind curtains in lounge, and one under a video cabinet,
    once getting up in the middle of the night to visit the loo, i trod in something that squashed, when i turned on the light, turned out to be a baby chick taken from a nest, yuck!

Now have a dog.

Sisters cat managed to drag a fully grown mole into the house yesterday. She totally freaked out.

On the plus side their lawn will look better from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by hellominky View Post
    A massive king Edward potato. It hid it behind the washing machine and had taken a couple of little bites out of it. No idea why, it must have relatively weighed a bloody ton.
    That, is brilliant.

I have 2 'hunter' cats and live in the sticks, so we get rabbits virtually every day, rats, mice, shrews and birds of all descriptions.
    It is the gross grey/brown shite that falls out of the bunnies that makes me gag in the mornings. Particularly when you step in it bare foot half asleep.
    Fortunately the two dogs take care of the cleaning up nowadays!

The strangest thing brought home so far was a very burnt jacket potato.
    Lord only knows where that came from.

I think in cat sociology terms they're bringing food for the communal pot and the correct way of dealing with them is to congratulate and not scald them (or so I've read).

However, on a daily basis I also get a small orange stuffed cat (Ceefer) dropped in front of me accompanied by crying to make sure I know what he's bought for the pot. He even jumps on the side to collect it to return it to me now... It has limited nutrional value unless cat spit is high in calories.

Quote Originally Posted by PWatch View Post

Thats a beautiful cat.

Ours tend not to bring them in but on one occassion i have come downstairs and looked out of the kitchen windown to see a birds nest and 3 chicks layed out next to it on the back lawn. Less "for the pot" and more "execution" style killing.

Andy

i have two cats that bring in cockroaches, lizards and cicatas all alive and the cicatas keep making that noise even in the house,
    they had one in at 4am the other day and the noise woke us up and i had to get out of bed and get it outside again, much to the cats dislike.

Master
    We live with two ageing female housecats, one of whom hardly hunts (or at least never drags anything in); the other sometimes grabs a field mouse or hamster-like little field rat and eats it in the living room.
    As we live in a very rural place there are also semi-feral cats around the house. We also feed them outside, and one time I saw a mother cat on her way to the feeding plate lashing out sideways, grab a mouse from under a bush, continue with the mouse in her teeth and depositing it on the plate to eat it along with the kitchen scraps we had left out. Feral cats are terribly effective in killing, but never to play, always to eat. They do sometimes leave a mouse as a present in front of the door though.

One of mine, sadly departed, once brought a woodpecker in. Bloody noisy thing it was, too.

Happily uninjured, and much to the cat's dismay, was able to fly away once released.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Master
    I'm not even going to mention my daughter's ex boyfriend! Whoops! I just did!

mike

Master
    Blog Entries
    With reference to cats bringing things in for the pot, my mog was caught at the back door trying to bring in a (thankfully) dead mouse. The mouse was taken off her and tossed into the back garden. 5 minutes of searching and she had it back in her mouth and proudly presented it to me and SWMBO in the middle of the rug before retiring for the night. IMO it's her way of saying thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    I'm not even going to mention my daughter's ex boyfriend! Whoops! I just did!

mike
    You either have a very strong cat or your daughter has a very puny ex-boyfriend.

We have a small (and I mean small) tabby girl cat that looks like a kitten and butter wouldn't melt... she kills everything! She once brought home a seagull, fully grown and dragged it through the porch window and dumped it on the kitchen floor! Other than that, it's a daily round of mice, rats, snakes, slow worms, voles, rabbits...

Her current obsession is feeding our year old Basset puppy with mice - she brings him a live one home every day and he cuddles them in his mouth (tail usually hanging out) and my wife has to rescue them and repatriate them to the garden!

Seriously, it's a REAL problem!

Woodpigeon once - apparently he was expecting guests!

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Ours had a habit of sicking up slugs it had eaten on the kitchen floor - most unpleasant

Our cat must have been watching too much badminton from the olympics coverage, a few days ago he brought home a shuttlecock. At least he can clear the height of a net which bodes well if he meets a Chinese or Korean badminton player.