closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Skydweller

Master

Skydweller

Master
    It's stunning. Looks quite thick though... And won't be cheap!

Numerals are a no for me
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

SkyDweller

About £33000 on a bracelet. £27500 rose gold on a leather strap

Ok thats not as bad as i first thought but the Roman numerals (and the price) make it a no from me.

Cool video, thanks for posting. 1 point on the vid though it shows someone adjusting the watch using the crown while on the wrist surely thats a no no?

Andy

aye, once again rolex drop the ball with some god awful presentation.
    those cut roman digits are worse than ugly - fantastic watch badly presented.

there may be hope if there were a non roman dial.

Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    WOW! for that money i'd much prefer a PP.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Nice video. Im not offended by the watches looks. I like it, but the price is just silly. I would buy a PP and a submariner with the change.

Skydweller

If I had the money this watch would be very high on my wishlist! Think it's an absolute beauty and hope to see one IRL at some point.

How about head only and I'll dig up a NATO??

Master
    Personally I love it, do wonderfully complicated. The only thing I'm not sure about is the polished middle link bracelet..........
    Good job I can't afford one then hey.

I know its a moot point, and I really do love mechanical / automatic watches but the thing that bugs me about stuff like this is that you are paying Mercedes money because the watch can do something my casio pathfinder has been merrily doing since I bought it 7 years ago (and a whole load of other stuff to boot). It 'knows' what month it is - wow! thats worth 30 grand of anyones money. I'm not anti-rolex but listening to that you would think they had gone and reinvented timekeeping.
    Tim

Not Fan.....

It grows on you but i'm of the belief that's it's effectively a milgauss case and bracelet (if you take the exotic metal out of the equation),with a datejust bezel and datejust style roman numeral dial with a bit too much going on.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paddy1911 View Post
    I know its a moot point, and I really do love mechanical / automatic watches but the thing that bugs me about stuff like this is that you are paying Mercedes money because the watch can do something my casio pathfinder has been merrily doing since I bought it 7 years ago (and a whole load of other stuff to boot). It 'knows' what month it is - wow! thats worth 30 grand of anyones money. I'm not anti-rolex but listening to that you would think they had gone and reinvented timekeeping.
    Tim
    Thats an argument I really don't get. You can compare any mechanical watch to anything at all that keeps the time... Perhaps you want to compare a submariner to a seiko 5?

I love my Casio watches but it's a whole different ball game.

The Sky Dweller will be bought by very wealthy international travelers and I can see the appeal for them. Not everyone likes PP or Audemars and Rolex has just brought out their own offering that's all. It's a complicated movement and I reckon that once you twist that bezel it'll most likely convert you. It's a lovely design feature.

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    Thats an argument I really don't get. You can compare any mechanical watch to anything at all that keeps the time... Perhaps you want to compare a submariner to a seiko 5?

I love my Casio watches but it's a whole different ball game.

The Sky Dweller will be bought by very wealthy international travelers and I can see the appeal for them. Not everyone likes PP or Audemars and Rolex has just brought out their own offering that's all. It's a complicated movement and I reckon that once you twist that bezel it'll most likely convert you. It's a lovely design feature.

I do see your point, at the minute I do own a Rolex and a couple of seiko divers and I can appreciate the positives of both. I think though that for me personally when I see very expensive stuff like this it rams home the absurdity of the 'luxury' watch industry (oh God - I'm starting to sound like Huertcilla!!). Its very much horses for courses but while I would be happy enough spending a couple of grand on a good quality watch I balk at 15 times as much because it can replicate some pretty basic features of more modern stuff.

I was expecting something else after seeing the initial teaser but it starting to grow on me more I see it. I reckon WG versIon is just perfect for when you on the move. Dressy enough for a suit and discreet enough for evening out on the town.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paddy1911 View Post
    I do see your point, at the minute I do own a Rolex and a couple of seiko divers and I can appreciate the positives of both. I think though that for me personally when I see very expensive stuff like this it rams home the absurdity of the 'luxury' watch industry (oh God - I'm starting to sound like Huertcilla!!). Its very much horses for courses but while I would be happy enough spending a couple of grand on a good quality watch I balk at 15 times as much because it can replicate some pretty basic features of more modern stuff.
    Lets face it though, for everyday people like you and me, we just wouldn't get it. It's like saying a Bentley Brooklands is HUGE and has four seats and a steering wheel for £200k, where a Citroen C1 will do the same but is easier to park.

Unless you have the expendable income, it's sometimes hard to justify that these things exist.

This Rolex is the flagship. It's a heck of a lot classier than that stupid Leopard Daytona thing and Rolex had to bring something brand new out to keep up with other high end manufacturers that seem to release new models all the time.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I think it is a great watch. Also it is the first serious complication/ innovation from Rolex in a long time.

I originally did not like it but the video makes it a lot more appealing. Out of my league though!!

Journeyman
    another one here I don't like the roman numerals, they put them on the datejusts as well, makes it too busy, we can all tell the time without them!

Andy

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    another one here I don't like the roman numerals, they put them on the datejusts as well, makes it too busy, we can all tell the time without them!

Andy
    I agree, it certainly would look better without them cluttering up the dial.

Some say it looks better in the flesh, but it is apparently a chunky watch all the same. Bear in mind it's a full gold case/bracelet, so whether you like it or not, it's probably postioned where you would expect in the Rolex structure. The problem is that it is straying into the territory of some properly high-end kit from PP etc and falls foul of the mentality that the top end of a mid-range brand is never go to be as satisfying and exclusive as the mid-range of a high-end brand (this applies to anything e.g. cars).

I suspect it will be a big seller, and provides an upgrade path into more complicated movements, whilst remaining within the Rolex brand (very clever IMO).

Not for me though!

A lot more complicated than I had initially thought. I didn't appreciate the bezel moved etc.

I totally agree with regards to the numerals.

A really interesting looking watch. Not a fan of roman numeral dials either, but I do like the brown dial/rose gold version on leather - not that I'd be buying one soon!

Certainly grown on me, that video helped.

Didnt realise it was going in at that kind of price, sure they'll sell but may actually attract others who may not look at Rolex but would go down the PP, AP route

Malc

my thoughts on the subject of this 'watch':
    - money can't buy taste...
    - you'll always have people wanting to show off and people being more discreet, guess which category will buy that 'thing'?
    - I am not shooting at Rolex, they are doing the right thing: Marketing dictates that clients from emerging economies, Asia and Arabia prefer more bling bling...so
    - the SkyD , with YMII are a category of large, very present, very expensive, hideous looking watches made by Rolex...

btw: I don't like it....if you haven't guessed...

Let me start by saying I hate it, but then I hate most modern Rolex.

Ok, moving on; whilst I personally understand the comments where us WIS say; you could buy a PP for that money the reality is in my experience, that many people with vast wealth choose Rolex over PP and they genuinely believe that fine watches stop with Rolex.

I have two extremely wealthy friends and with them, I have been in the company of their very wealthy friends, to a person the men wore Rolex and the ladies Cartier..that's it, no PP, AP or anything else. I also know that many own several Rolex watches but no other brands.

So there you have it, very unscientific but from my own experience of those people who could think nothing of spending £30k on a watch, they would spend nothing on a PP.

I do sometimes think that us WIS get carried away and place so much importance on the history and heritage that we expect others to do the same and believe that it is the only right and proper answer, and that Rolex and lesser brands can be a bit bling, chavy or Asian Market focused and losing their way, but the people I know are none of these stereotypes, but they are very understated, hard working, super wealthy individuals. I expect to see a few Skydwellers on their wrists shortly.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I think its a great looking piece and I was actually gutted when I saw the price as I'll never be able to afford one :(

jimmyblade
    I love it and if I had the cash I would be ordering one, however I dont and never will so thats that.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyblade View Post
    I love it and if I had the cash I would be ordering one, however I dont and never will so thats that.
    Never say never. Bu$$er I just did

Nice watch, shame about the price. What is good about the Daytona is a steel version whose price allows the enthusiast a chance to own, while the better off can pimp it up in gold, platinum and precious stones! Pity, guessing at 33k there are more interesting watches about than YMII & SD.

I'm another who can't get on with the roman numerals which is a shame because the rest of it is lovely.
    Not that I was planning on remortgaging to buy one so I suppose it doesn't really matter

To me the dial is a bit of a mess but overall the watch is starting to grow on me. The movement is very impressive. Yes it's innovation for innovations sake but isn't that the case for all mechanical movements these days?

Skydweller

Sean Pertwee voice-over I notice - not sure about 'ring command' - this just looks like a GMT with a month indicator to me, and a wonky face. Also shares the odd looking bezel with the new Datejust - it looks too wide to me somehow. I like watches with 3 hands and a date so this type of thing is never going to appeal to me really - but the dial does look a mess. I really think the new Rolex styles are hideous unfortunately and this is another YMII I'm afraid.

Nice video, but not for me (can't afford it anyway).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Spendor View Post
    What is good about the Daytona is a steel version whose price allows the enthusiast a chance to own
    I wouldn't be surprised if a SS version comes out in a year or three. Will still be eye-wateringly expensive though.

Grand Master Scottishtrunkmonkey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Numerals are a no for me
    Have to agree mate although I like it otherwise
    Respect the past, live the present, protect the future

Master
    It really is an overpriced design train crash. Money doesn't buy taste.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if a SS version comes out in a year or three. Will still be eye-wateringly expensive though.
    I would be surprised if it is released in SS, there aren't any SS Daydates in the current range.

Blog Entries
    Is that missing a decimal point - really 33k GDP?
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Beautiful but expencive watch!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    I would be surprised if it is released in SS, there aren't any SS Daydates in the current range.
    But why compare it specifically with the DayDate? There are SS Daytonas, for example.