closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Broadband recommendations

Craftsman

Question Broadband recommendations

ok chaps, moving to a new home so have to give up my Virgin Media 10Mbps Cable modem Broadband.

Where I'm moving there's no cable option (doh!) so I will have to settle for ADSL broadband. There might be potentially an option of fibre link but is this also delivered over the phone lines from the last hurdle?

I'm not looking for insane speed, 10MBps was fine for me, just a stable service (running voip) and good quality.
    Previous owners had SKY but I'm wondering if I anyone can recommend any other provider?

With SKY we wouldn't be taking out the TV package, just a broadband or internet/phone combo.

The fibre option is usually copper for the last bit. There are many providers to choose from, you'll find many complaints about most of them tbh, some more than others.

Craftsman
    Been with TalkTalk for the last 1.5 years, at 2 different addresses. Getting a great speed (though I am close to the exchange). I get 20mbit speed, completely unrestricted, with no limits. I can have the server downloading at full speed overnight (massive video projects with lots of source files) and it's never once dropped out and I can have 50GB of source sitting on my machine ready for a days work.

They don't always get the best rep, but I have had no grounds to complain at all. Apparently their customer service on the phone is poor (never had to use it), but their help forums online are superb. Browsing around them there are a lot of knowledgeable people employed by the company sorting everyone's connection issues out, giving them speed boosts and generally optimising their lines. I'm going to try out their fibre offering when it hits my exchange next month.

When I was last researching bethere were regarded as the best, but unable to provide me with broadband in my area.

^
    Snap, but I'm close to the exchange (600m) too.

Craftsman
    I think I'll go for SKY Fibre optic & phone bundle for £32.25 a month. Does anyone have any SKY discount codes or friends/family deals like they sometimes do?

Craftsman
    I've been with sky for a few years and can't realy complain about the service

Craftsman
    I am a BT Broadband man and while only get 5mb that is enough for me. One tip I have is not to accept the standard rate but to phone up at the time of renewal and get their best price before you switch elsewhere. This saves me £10 per month!

Been with orange and now bt. Whoever you go with, probably pays to swap your provider around as loyalty doesn't seem to mean anything anymore.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mac83 View Post
    I think I'll go for SKY Fibre optic & phone bundle for £32.25 a month. Does anyone have any SKY discount codes or friends/family deals like they sometimes do?
    Arrange it via one of the cashback sites (Quidco, Top Cashback etc) and you should get a few quid in your pocket............... eventually.

I was with talktalk, when its good its good, but when it goes wrong their customer service department based in India is atrocious. I'm with Plusnet now, and they've been very good.

I've always used BT and have very rarely had a problem. One thing I have noticed is the speed increase over the last few years (as users switch away from BT perhaps?) I think it depends on what you need from your provider.

Craftsman
    I am with sky not the fastest but reliable and normally trouble free

Thomas Reid
    I've used Zen for years (10 to be more precise). They aren't the cheapest, but they are very reliable. I think that my ADSL is now up to about 12Mbps (real) on their "up to 20Mbps/100GB a month" tariff. When I started with them it was something like 2 or 3 Mbps, I think. They keep moving up the cap as well. Until l happened to log onto their site last month I thought it was 50GB. I could go to their cheaper tariff, capped at 25GB a month, since I've never gone over 10GB a month, but I haven't bothered. The price hasn't changed since I started with them.

They are (or were years ago when I screwed up my nameserver) knowledgeable.

Best wishes,
    Bob

+1 for zen.

Excellent customer service if you should ever need it, and the person answering the phone actually knows what they are talking about.

Craftsman
    <rant>

well I attempted to order fibre optic from SKY and guess what - I can't! what a stupid system.
    Booking team is telling me that because previous owners of the house still have an active line (I was told by the previous owners its only until Thursday as I'm moving in on Friday but Sky wouldn't confirm that) I cannot raise a new order for the same address.

So basically if you're moving house and previous owners did have sky account you cannot order your new sky subscription until AFTER you move in. Insane.
    I will give them one more chance on Friday morning as I really do not want to go with BT but if they still give me some porkies then I'll just take my money elsewhere - shocking customer service so far and I haven't even signed up yet with them!!!

did anyone else have similar problems in the past?

</rant>

After some spectacularly poor customer service from Talk Talk, I’ve been with Orange for a couple of years now. Speed is only circa 8meg (I’m on up to 20meg) but service is OK & customer service so far has been pretty good.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by ru55 View Post
    I am a BT Broadband man and while only get 5mb that is enough for me. One tip I have is not to accept the standard rate but to phone up at the time of renewal and get their best price before you switch elsewhere. This saves me £10 per month!
    Ditto - we got our broadband from BT for £4.99 a month for a year after I requested a MAC code from them. They were really keen to hang on to our business. We're in a small rural town so choice isn't great for us, but to be honest BT have been spot on for the 4 years we've been with them plus we've seen our speed increase from 6 to 16 mb in that time. Not bad for the arse end of the north.

Master
    I'm with Be, have been for years. Once again not the cheapest but faultless service, superb reliability and as good a speed as I can get on my line.

It doesn't matter who you go with as all the cables from your house back to the exchange are owned and maintained by Openreach. Just go with the cheapest package for your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Pras View Post
    It doesn't matter who you go with as all the cables from your house back to the exchange are owned and maintained by Openreach. Just go with the cheapest package for your needs.
    The TalkTalk engineer who came to my house yesterday said exactly this.

That said, I struggle to get 3meg where I am now. Previously, when I lived in town I had 50meg..

TalkTalk call centres are terrible - really bad. Engineers (who have made several visits) are pretty good guys though.
    So clever my foot fell off.

I was with BT for a while and they were fine but did not lower their price for loyal customers while giving new customers better deals (although quite common for a lot of companies). As I had an O2 mobile and they were doing a special I have my broadband with O2 and get a £5 a month off as I have an O2 mobile contract. They get very good ratings for their customer service as well.

Craftsman

Broadband recommendations

I moved from BT to TalkTalk in February 2012 for my business phone and fax lines and my broadband for two reasons - TalkTalk was about half BT's price and I was getting increasingly annoyed by BT's practice of putting an extra charge on my broadband bill for excess usage when I was 99% sure that I wasn't using half of what they were claiming.

I thought that everything was going OK when I received a further bill from BT for £100 (four months after I had joined TalkTalk) for supply of BT broadband services. I rang them to point out their mistake but they informed me that TalkTalk was supplying me with broadband down my fax line but BT was still supplying me with broadband down my phone line as TalkTalk had issued them with incorrect instructions at the time of handover.

TalkTalk say that BT is being difficult but it is up to me to sort BT out as they won't talk to them. BT say that it is entirely TalkTalk's fault as they issued incorrect advice to BT but they won't deal directly with TalkTalk - I have to sort out TalkTalk and meanwhile BT has set the debt collectors on me for the £100.

It is rarely the case that I am left incandescent with rage after a phone call but broadband providers of all ilks seem to have that knack!

I know that I should just pay up and it will all go away but I just can't bring myself to let them away with this!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by pilch23 View Post
    I am with sky not the fastest but reliable and normally trouble free
    Ditto, my only niggle would be the wireless router they include which doesn't have great range, otherwise great in all other respects

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ru55 View Post
    One tip I have is not to accept the standard rate but to phone up at the time of renewal and get their best price before you switch elsewhere. This saves me £10 per month!
    I can certainly second that.

I don't live in a cheap broadband area, so the deals aren't as competitive. Last week I received an email from Plusnet telling me my current charge will be going up by £1.50 a month to £31 for a 10gb download limit with anytime calls.

After requesting a MAC code, they've now agreed to give me a 60gb download limit, and a new router that will enable me to be both wired and wireless (as I plan to pick up a tablet shortly), and my costs will be decreased to £27 a month for the whole 12 month period of the new contract.

So their £1.50 a month price increase has now cost them a new router, a far higher download limit, and I'm also £4 a month better off. If they'd have left things how they were, I probably wouldn't have bothered looking around for a better deal.

Plusnet seems quite good. We have recently moved also. Previously on virgin. Now with plusnet as no cable in the area. So far service seems reliable and decent price too. Very happy !

Master
    FWIW BT own Plusnet anyway now. Have to say I've been very pleased with BT Infinity to date.

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name
    I have various options i.e. Virgin, BT, Sky fibre etc and am minded to go for Virgin 30meg (includes phone). If I have a problem with the line/router etc, what are they like to resolve this and can you easily contact tech/customer support and is this a chargeable call noting its a 0845 number???

Thanks

B

Virgin is at the lower end of customer satisfaction on the Which? scale of things. At the top are Zen.

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name
    Wow

Wh*ch Recommended Providers

(84%) – Zen Internet [RECOMMENDED]
    (80%) – Utility Warehouse [RECOMMENDED]
    (76%) – Eclipse Internet [RECOMMENDED]
    (73%) – PlusNet [RECOMMENDED]
    (72%) – BE Broadband [RECOMMENDED]
    (71%) – O2 [RECOMMENDED]
    (61%) – Post Office
    (54%) – Madasafish
    (52%) – Demon Internet