closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goodbye London 2012 Olympics, I will miss you

Goodbye London 2012 Olympics, I will miss you

Well what a show that was. The last 15 days have been consumed solely with watching the various events, I was fortunate enough to also get tickets for the boxing at Excel. All I can say is that despite all the doom and gloom the London Olympics have been simply incredible. As a Londoner I have loved having the world in my city, making sure I took a long walking route home every night after work so that I could stroll and soak up the atmosphere in the city. The athletes have done themselves proud, the venues were wonderful, the staff and organisers friendly. The sheer enthusiasm of the spectators and the numbers they turned out in across the road routes was simply unprecedented. I'm sure I'm being a little biased but for me these games have moved me so much that I wholeheartedly believe them to be the finest ever Olympic games. London will feel like a totally different city tomorrow and I will really miss the Olympics.

I agree.

A fantastic games that showcased so much of what is Great about Britain....the Post Olympic Blues will hit hard!

Grand Master
    You know, before the Olympics it was the Olympics blues, due to negativity, money spent and the financial mess that's caused so many issues in the country. Now though, after such a success, probably beyond some peoples dreams, it's now going to cause the same issue.

If the government and sporting bodies don't use this momentum for some good, then it's all for next to nothing, lets see the broadcasters do some of the lesser sports, lets see government initiatives supporting them, lets see people in the UK back them as well, and have our own mini events across the nation, but for once, lets actually back it up.

I'd be all for really well planned, nationwide events, lets not disband some of the infrastructure, keep it and use it, get the BBC, Sky, etc on board and get the schools on board.

Craftsman
    I agree, it's been fantastic.

On the bright side, at least football is back.....

One of the best two weeks of sport ever. Well done to all involved from the volunteers, emergency services, armed forces to the organisers, BBC the athletes. They have all made it one of the most memorable games ever. I have loved every minute of it.

Quote Originally Posted by doubledee View Post
    One of the best two weeks of sport ever. Well done to all involved from the volunteers, emergency services, armed forces to the organisers, BBC the athletes. They have all made it one of the most memorable games ever. I have loved every minute of it.
    Same here, Britain at it's best!!!!!!

Despite the moaners and groaners negativity it has been a complete success from start to (the about to happen) finish and I'm very glad I was able to watch so much of it. Off abroad now, but back home (hopefully) in time to see the Para-olympics.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977 View Post
    You know, before the Olympics it was the Olympics blues, due to negativity, money spent and the financial mess that's caused so many issues in the country. Now though, after such a success, probably beyond some peoples dreams, it's now going to cause the same issue.

If the government and sporting bodies don't use this momentum for some good, then it's all for next to nothing, lets see the broadcasters do some of the lesser sports, lets see government initiatives supporting them, lets see people in the UK back them as well, and have our own mini events across the nation, but for once, lets actually back it up.

I'd be all for really well planned, nationwide events, lets not disband some of the infrastructure, keep it and use it, get the BBC, Sky, etc on board and get the schools on board.
    +1 I was certainly one of the grumpy ones before the games, and for that i offer my deepest apologies, it has been pretty much faultless, inspiring, colourful and brilliant.
    To all the athletes of all nations i say thank you,

Blog Entries
    Got to say that I was a gold medal Olympic sceptic before the games started but fair play , what a games .
    Team GB were fantastic , the venues and organisation were perfect.
    lets hope there is some lasting positive legacy to come.
    well done to everyone involved , especially all who competed.

Blog Entries
    Been there. done that, got the t-shirt. And I'm proud of it. It was wonderful and I will miss it dearly! And I'm glad my son and I visited the Games! For him, an experience for a lifetime. For me, as a father, I'm glad we went together.

I've written this before: the UK and the people of London can be very, very proud!

Menno

N 28 deg, 31' 18.4902 W80 deg 33' 40.035"
    If history does repeat itself, you can expect them back in about another 50 years....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by doubledee View Post
    I have loved it as well. The events I have seen ahve been great, the humour of the crowds and the good nature of the volunteers will stick with me for a long time.

It's been awesome bring on the ParaOlympics

I wish it lasted longer, really great event, well done.

Wish. Could have got more tickets

fully agree - been a great few weeks. I will miss it !!

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    What's on the telly now?

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    What's on the telly now?
    Dust. But I'm too long married to point this out.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Yep.
    Spot on all round as far as I'm concerned and it was only thanks to his place that i managed to take my son to see Team GB at Wembley and that's something I'm sure he'll remember forever....

I genuinely feel sad that it's all over. I've loved it all and as a Londoner have rarely been prouder of my city and the welcome we put on for the world. I think as a relatively new dad (3 & 1.5) it made it even more special to share it with my kids.

I was lucky enough to get tickets for quite a few events and it's been delightful to be part of something that has made so many people happy.

My personal highlights were my little ones jumping up and down and cheering on Rebecca Adlington in her 800m final - I'm not sure they knew what they were shouting about, but boy they were excited!

Also the look on my boy's face as we came out into the glare of Wembley Stadium for the women's footie final the other night (which was an excellent game) will live with me for a long time.

Let's hope it's a beginning.

In truth, had there been a referendum 8 years ago I'd have voted No on the grounds I didn't think we could pull it off. We did. Gloriously. Something we can be enormously proud of. I think we 'did good'.

No mention of football for a couple of weeks !!!

Not often I say this, but VERY proud to be British right now

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    Couldn't agree more

Master
    lets see the broadcasters do some of the lesser sports
    When I was a child I'm sure there was more coverage of the less popular (rather than lesser) sports - canoeing, rowing, gymnastics, judo and so on, plus horse dancing, show jumping etc. From my perspective, a horse on tv for a minute is a minute too long, but even so, it's something that seems to get less coverage.
    Last edited by Seabadger; 13th August 2012 at 00:30.

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Couldn't agree more
    Me too.

65 medals and it's been quite a fortnight.

Well done everyone involved with it.

R

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Me too.

65 medals and it's been quite a fortnight.

Well done everyone involved with it.

R
    Indeed!!

Very proud and a great event!!
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Feel very sad about it too. Fantastic Sport, memorable moments, great home support and team performance. Everything about it was superb. An undoubted success and one in the eye for all the detractors.

Truly uplifting stuff. Gutted i did not get to see any of the events in the skin. We really are Great Britain!

Quote Originally Posted by Seabadger View Post
    When I was a child I'm sure there was more coverage of the less popular (rather than lesser) sports - canoeing, rowing, gymnastics, judo and so on, plus horse dancing, show jumping etc. From my perspective, a horse on tv for a minute is a minute too long, but even so, it's something that seems to get less coverage.
    They covered just about every sport on the red button, there were about 20 Olympic channels to chose from at any one time. If that's not enough coverage I don't know what is!

Master
    I enjoyed it so much more than I thought I would, and ended up watching far more tv than I have ever watched before! Going into London for the triathlon and marathon, and going to Hyde Park was great, and the visits made by the good humour of the volunteers - at the marathon we had them pretending to run through a finish, and the whole crowd playing along and cheering them! Superb atmosphere and humour.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    They covered just about every sport on the red button, there were about 20 Olympic channels to chose from at any one time. If that's not enough coverage I don't know what is!
    I was aware of that. I (and Argee, I assume) was referring to coverage of less mainstream sports outside the Olympics.

Hopefully, one legacy will be a move towards more competitive sport in schools. Both David Cameron and Ed Milliband seem to agree on this, and quite frankly the sooner we abandon the namby-pamby "everybody gets a prize and nobody loses" philosophy of school sport, the better.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    Hopefully, one legacy will be a move towards more competitive sport in schools. Both David Cameron and Ed Milliband seem to agree on this, and quite frankly the sooner we abandon the namby-pamby "everybody gets a prize and nobody loses" philosophy of school sport, the better.

I heard one clot on the radio the other day saying that competition fostered elitism and was therefore harmful and should be discouraged.

Honestly, how do you go through life with such moronic notions?

Have looked forward to it since we won the bid and it hasn't disappointed.

I was lucky enough to be in the the stadium for "the greatest 45 minutes in British athletics history" (golds for Ennis, Rutherford and Farah) and it was awesome.

Ticketing was farcical though...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    Competitive sport hasn't gone away and has rarely been stronger - Cameron is just recycling prejudice and anecdotes. Fortuitously though, he's scrapped targets and evaluation, so we'll never know.

A job well done for you guys. I think that this was the best summer games in modern history, again very well done !

Let's keep the momentum up during the Paralympic's too Shame on the Royal Mail for not offering a stamp to a Gold winning Paralympian

I have to admit, I thought it was going to be a bit shit. I especially thought the opening ceremony would be awful. But I take it back, I got wrapped up in the event much more than I thought I would, much more than other Olympics and the opening ceremony was much, much better than expected. The closing ceremony bored me though... other than shouting at the TV for the Taxi drive with Victoria Beckham on the roof to jump on his brakes.

Everyone (except that Taxi driver) should be proud of not just what they achieved, but the consistent quality of it. I don't remember hearing any negative press about it at all. Not like Beijing where the buildup was all about how terrible the living quarters were, or the air pollution. London was all positive, which is a massive achievement.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    In truth, had there been a referendum 8 years ago I'd have voted No on the grounds I didn't think we could pull it off. We did. Gloriously. Something we can be enormously proud of. I think we 'did good'.
    Absolutely, very proud to be British and I even sang the British anthem in public last week. I'm very proud of London, Team GB, the volunteers, the services and the blue lights for giving their dedication, time and energy to making these games. The generation has been inspired I feel, so job very well done! :)

Master
    Exiled in the Land that time forgot - Yorkshire
    I was in the camp of I can't be arsed with it, but as soon as it started I regretted my decision not to apply for tickets. I've been glued to the TV for nearly every event & highlights. Walking into the canteen & seeing all the bosses & workers glued watching the dressage & open water swimming was a sight to behold!

I've never been as proud to be British as the last couple of weeks, hopefully Cameron somehow keeps the feelgood factor going. Tall order I know.

9pm Monday night, less than 24 hours after it finished. Come back from a run ( where it clouded over in East London and the sky seemed to weep gently for the first time in what seems like months) and start listening to radio in the shower. Where just a day or two earlier there was boundless enthusiasm about the medal tally and general happiness, the first 4 items on the news are:

Murder charge for stepdad of young girl

Murder charge for killers of lady found in garage

Shooting in America

Rail fare rise.

Turn on telly after coming downstairs:

BBC1 - The sheer JOY!!!! of seeing the misery of Eastenders.

BBC2 - The riots in their own words (remember that glory of a year ago?)

ITV1 - Ruth Rendell misery

Channel 4 - Escape from Colditz

Kill me now. The mother of all anti-climaxes.What a downer

Craftsman
    Fantastic Olympics! Britain did an outstanding job. Beautiful settings for all events. I've always been a cycling and rowing fan and you owned those events. Congratulations on a job well done.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dashiel View Post
    Fantastic Olympics! Britain did an outstanding job. Beautiful settings for all events. I've always been a cycling and rowing fan and you owned those events. Congratulations on a job well done.
    Glad you enjoyed it - I think almost all of us here did.

The excellence in rowing started in your state in 1984, by the way: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FtygRtJJo0 - first gold medal since 1948 and the start of a trickle that became a pretty respectable torrent of medals.

Craftsman
    I can finally go back to London

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    I can finally go back to London
    Why couldn't you go before?

Master
    I loved every minute of it! Was lucky enough to be able to take the whole family to the canoe sprint at Eton Dorney (got these in the initial ticket lottery) which was great and then managed to get 1 ticket for the athletics on Friday evening.

Unbelievable atmosphere!

Really missing it all now.

Blog Entries

So will I...........

Getting used to putting the telly on when I came home, and seeing some marvellous sports.
    Fantastic two weeks, really enjoyed it.

Kudos to the people of London.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

I don't usually bother with Olympics but the 2012 was the first time I watched every day and now its finished I am a bit gutted as it has great to watch

Has there been an Olympics then? I didn't hear anything about it.

Wow pretty much 100% agreement that the Olympics were a positive force in uniting the U.K. on this forum thats amazing! Like many here I wasn't too interested in the weeks leading up to it all but i've been slowly sucked in and watched quite abit. Thanks all round to everyone who made it possible - what a great feeling it has achieved.

& finally we hopefully won't have to see anyone more of Boris's dad dancing..

Craftsman
    Boris's dancing was a highlight of a great few weeks.

Grand Master
    ''having the world in my city'', so nothing changes now the Olympics are over hey.