closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Two 70's Seikos compared

Two 70's Seikos compared ( many pics )

I seem to have acquired another old Seiko, always a danger when out and about in Tokyo, especially if Mrs TT is not present ...

The latest is this humble Lord Matic 5606-7140

Joined here, in focus in the background, by it's posher cousin, the King Seiko 5626-7060.

Both feature 25 jewel automatic day-date movements. I thought I might compare them.

The extra "20" of the 5626 over the 5606 in the King Seiko gets you a chronometer-capable movement running at 8bps / 28,800bph instead of 6bps / 21,600bph in the Lord Matic.

At the time, this was sufficiently impressive for the KS to feature Hi-Beat on the dial.

This example, being a certified chronometer, also has that noted on the dial too, plus external access between the 6 o'clock lugs for regulation.

From the front and sides, the two models are remarkably similar.

The dials both feature raised baton indices and applied logos. Only the KS has a signed crown. It might just be possible to make out the finer brushing on the KS case. It is clearly evident when handled side-by-side.

The date windows are bordered on both, but only the KS has a frame separating the day from date. I've squeezed a 20mm strap onto the LMs 19mm lugs, which is why it looks a bit crowded there.

The same information is on both casebacks, but the KS gets the chronometer designation in the gold seal.

[/url]

Note the "Waterproof" and "Open Thru Glass" on both case backs.

The finishing on the case is finer on the KS. It also has upgraded features - some small ( date, crown ) and some big ( hands, movement ). It is clear that it was placed above the LM at the time. However, both are very well made and a pleasure to look at.

One of the KS to end :

Used, the KS cost me about 8 times the price of the LM, though admittedly it is in better overall cosmetic condition. Both run smoothly and still keep excellent time. The LMs can be picked up for silly prices. As I hope this quick comparison shows, you do lose something but ... you are still left with a lot.

Paul
    Last edited by Tokyo Tokei; 11th January 2016 at 11:02. Reason: fixed lost pictures

Blog Entries
    Very interesting comparison. Thank you for that.

Thanks for posting those two, a lovely pair to own!

The Lord Matic is a very underrated watch considering it shares it's base caliber with such exalted company as certain KS and GS's. I have a couple of LM's a 5606-7050 from 1969 and a 5606-7000 from 1973. Prices of LM's are steadily rising as people realise what a refined watch they are but as you say, at the moment bargains are still to be had.

Here's my LM 5606-7000 with my 1967 KS and much more modern GS:

Great watches both of them. Really like the hands on the KS.

Thanks for the comments. That LM/KS/GS trio is excellent. I was fondling a few 70's GS today too. Definitely refined. The jump from LM to KS is more noticeable than that from KS to GS, I felt. Like Economy to Business compared to Business to First : once you have enough legroom, attentive service, and nice steak and wines, there is a limit to how much more impressive even more legroom and even more succulent steaks can be. Diminishing returns, as with most things.

I think the LM is probably Premium Economy for bucket shop prices, in this rather strained analogy. Certainly more than good enough. All of them though, GS included, are much cheaper than the revered Swiss makes of the same era. I could have 100 70's LMs for the price of a 70's Sub .

That's not a dig at the Sub, just a note on how the prices have diverged and what that means is available now to those interested.

Paul
    Last edited by Tokyo Tokei; 11th August 2012 at 19:27.

Banned
    so classy on the croc straps and so many destined to a bottom draw life if only there was one in everyone's collection it would be a daily beater.

A lovely find, congratulations...

Two nice watches.

I've always had an interest in those old high quality Seiko's and have owned quite a few.

Must be nice to be in their land of origin and forage around for good examples.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Blog Entries
    Great watches!
    ...I wouldn't call LM "humble" :)

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    [...]Must be nice to be in their land of origin and forage around for good examples.
    They seem to be quite thick on the ground. A combination of being quite common in their day, at least, relative to KS and GS, and current lack of interest. At auction they go very cheaply indeed, but you have to trust the seller. As you no doubt know, the day/date mechanism is reputedly hard to fix if broken, due to a unique plastic part.

The LM I bought pictured above was from a large camera dealer, centrally located in Ginza ( Japan's most expensive area for commercial premises ) that has a small corner with watches for sale. About 50-100 used Seikos at a guess, from the historic divers all the way up to a gold chronometer-certified GS complete with box and papers, via everything in between. I had my eye on a nice V.F.A quartz, with box and papers, but settled for the LM. I paid a lot more than auction price, but for that I was able to handle the watch, check the operation in person, and examine the dial with a loupe they provided.

£48 later, it was mine.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post

They seem to be quite thick on the ground. A combination of being quite common in their day, at least, relative to KS and GS, and current lack of interest. At auction they go very cheaply indeed, but you have to trust the seller. As you no doubt know, the day/date mechanism is reputedly hard to fix if broken, due to a unique plastic part.

I do know.

The plastic degrades over time.

The LM I bought pictured above was from a large camera dealer, centrally located in Ginza ( Japan's most expensive area for commercial premises ) that has a small corner with watches for sale. About 50-100 used Seikos at a guess, from the historic divers all the way up to a gold chronometer-certified GS complete with box and papers, via everything in between. I had my eye on a nice V.F.A quartz, with box and papers, but settled for the LM. I paid a lot more than auction price, but for that I was able to handle the watch, check the operation in person, and examine the dial with a loupe they provided.

£48 later, it was mine.

That is the way to buy Paul and how I always do it.

You can see what you are getting and £48 for an LM is no money.

Nice result.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

What a lovely pair, The higher quality offerings were really great back then and are design classics now.

Blog Entries

I paid a lot more than auction price, but for that I was able to handle the watch, check the operation in person, and examine the dial with a loupe they provided.

£48 later, it was mine.

Paul
    Grief, £48 is less than they commonly go for on eBay (that I've seen).

Correct me:

1) I always have the impression that "hi-beat" is 36,000

2) How many jewels on your LM, over 20 might be running in 28,800 already?

Quote Originally Posted by seikomatic View Post
    Correct me:

When 28,800 bph watches first came out they were often referred to as high beat as opposed to the standard frequency then which was usually around 20,000.

Quite a few makes indicated it on the dial to differentiate them as in the Seiko's and this Zenith of mine...

36,000 is usually referred to as VHF (very high frequency)
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I did some search and seems to confirm that 5626 7060 is 28,800

Very nice pics, not sure if it hasn't been over polished a bit that one, but each to his own. The caseback says "water resistant" too, instead of "waterproof" - maybe a later production ( the serial is much higher than mine ) or replacement case.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by seikomatic View Post
    Correct me:
    As well as Neil's point, an area of possible confusion is that Seiko had 10bps/36,000bph movements in GS of the same era and called them "Hi-Beat" too. I think there were some KS "hi beat" at 36,000bph, at least a handwind, maybe others. The current GS "Hi Beat" autos are of course 36,000. I suspect Seiko might feel that they use(d) the term consistently over the years to mean "higher beat than normal", whether 8 or 10 bps, rather than a specific frequency.

Good question/discussion.

Paul

Banned
    very nice indeed,cameras and watches that would draw me in.

now if they sold pens as well.