closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watch for a cop?

Apprentice

Watch for a cop?

Hello,

I'm new to the world of watches and wonder if I can intrude to ask for some advice.

I am a police officer and need to carry an accurate watch. As most of my colleagues do, I wear a G-Shock. In its favour, it's accurate (radio controlled), not likely to stop unexpectedly (solar powered) and tough. However, it doesn't look as smart as I'd like. Are there any equivalently accurate analogue watches other than the analogue G-Shocks?

The ideal watch would offer radio-synched accuracy, be solar-powered, tough and reliable and have a clear analogue display with both date and day (my shift pattern means I quite often lose track of what day it is). That's not much to ask, is it? The one I've found that comes closest is this one (Citizen PMD56-2952):

Unfortunately it seems the radio-controlled synchronisation won't work in the UK.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images

Master
    Well, I only know one copper and as you've already mentioned he wears a g shock!!

All the cops that i know that are still on patrol either wear cheap casio digi's or g-shocks.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Banned
    The standard Eco-drive model should be more than accurate enough.
    You could also look at this model.

http://watchreport.com/2011/06/citiz...11-review.html

How about a DSSD, the extra helf might come in handy clobbering villans

Craftsman
    I would check out the Nite range of watches. I had a Nite MX20 which was as accurate as anyone would
    need a watch to be, but also smart and legible in all light conditions.

Master
    G-Shock, second to none for those of us in the job IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkplug View Post
    Hello,

The ideal watch would offer radio-synched accuracy, be solar-powered, tough and reliable and have a clear analogue display with both date and day (my shift pattern means I quite often lose track of what day it is)
    I can relate to the need for the day, I spend a lot of time at work and usually don't know which day it is. (I always take a watch with a day function when I go on vacation as I forget)

you can get a seiko diver, after some wrist time and settling in to be about +12 seconds. could you like with that? I'd suggest this model:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...kx007jfin.jpg/

cheap, tough and not bad looking either with a decent resale value

Master
    Not really what you've asked for but how about the G-Shock GW-M5610BC-1ER. I've just got one myself and think its a bit smarter looking than the average G with a lovely resin/steel bracelet.

Perhaps a watch with the 'Time Stamp' function would be good for a cop.

There are numerous occasions when they have to make a note of the date and time of a paricular event. Being able to do this with just a push of a button wouls appear useful.

There are G shocks that do this but they may not meet your defintion of 'smart'.

Mitch

Master
    st11326.jpg

How about a CWC SBS Quartz Diver - day and date, and accurate enough for government work - probably somewhere between 1 sec/day and 1 sec/week; £349 from Silvermans:
    Last edited by HappyJack; 8th August 2012 at 06:10.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    How about a CWC SBS Quartz Diver - day and date, and accurate enough for government work - probably somewhere between 1 sec/day and 1 sec/week; £349 from Silvermans:

st11326.jpg
    That's an excellent suggestion, and as a follow up I'd recommend a look at the Traser line up, which are as tough as old boots, offer quartz accuracy and the military models come with day and date.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Junghans Apollo Mega MF

Junghans Voyager
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/f8/jung...er-606768.html

john

How about this ?

Attachment 490

I'd second either the cwc or Seiko divers. Most medium cost quartz are super accurate and those 2 are man enough to handle things if it gets physical. I'd put it on a NATO to make sure it stays on if a pin snaps.
    Most uniform guys I know wear g shocks and they're so common as to seem standard issue.
    Break the mold!

Another vote for the Seiko 007, all the functions you want at a great price, tough & looks good on a nato too.

Last edited by Billyloves2boogie; 6th August 2012 at 16:43.

seeing as no one else has suggested this.....

anything with a blue dial ;)

(bad) jokes aside, the g-shock suggestion is a good one or perhaps a citizen super titanium for toughness?

Master
    Check out the Casio Edifice range too for solar and radio controlled.
    http://www.watchshop.com/Casio-Edifi...tml&tab7=solar

Craftsman
    I think it depends on what job you do, if you are on patrol then the G is the way forward i would ssay. How ever if you are in the CID then the market really opens up as you can wear a suit watch etc. I recently retired from the job and wore a number of different watches, none of which were the plastic type, depends on what your day job involves, like any other job i guess.

Stick to the G for work - keep the bigger spend items for the off duty wine and dine circuit
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I remember watching "Coppers" on Channel 4 a while ago thinking it was the kind of job you couldn't wear a decent watch while doing.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Stick to the G for work - keep the bigger spend items for the off duty wine and dine circuit
    This is good advice. You wouldn't want anything half decent to get damaged at work, especially if neither work nor your insurance company will cover you.

Master
    As another 'old bill' I wear one of these but without the black coating... pretty durable, wear it on most of my training other than pst where the draconian rules of removing all jewellery exist!
    Its taken quite a few knocks over the last 6 months I have had it and has performed flawlessly, excellent accuracy, crystal is unmarked still, its multifunctional, decent lume and looks the part too.
    cheap as chips off the bay is a bonus!

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by raydin; 7th August 2012 at 00:34.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JustaHunch View Post
    This is good advice. You wouldn't want anything half decent to get damaged at work, especially if neither work nor your insurance company will cover you.
    What, no £1,000 Seiko? Where's that old rolling-eyes emo when you need it...

I think something with an expensive and complex movement, particularly in a country where the manufacture can barely be bothered to get out of bed to market it, is a bad idea when physical army-barry is likely. Stick with a tough quartz that isn't an inch thick so it completely gets in the way of everything including the door jamb of the local nick at 01:30 when you're banging drunk townies into the cells (Z33 FTW :)).
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Master
    I would stick with the Gshock, maybe get one of those MR.Gs, which look slightly smarter.

stick with the G-Shock

I would stick with the G-shock or at least refrain from using anything with a metal bracelet. It's easier to wash a rubber strap.

Journeyman
    Frontline here - used to wear cheap Timex but I got fed up and wear a Damasko now.

Id be looking at either a nite mx10 or the cwc sbs watch. Both watches were designed and built for tough environments/conditions and as neither are shiny/blingy they would be perfect for your line of work.

Master
    My current "workhorse" fresh out of the dishwasher, I kid you not!

Casio G-Shock G2900F-1V:

It's served me well for the last 6 or so years but I think it's time for an upgrade to one of the solar powered atomics, I'm considering the GW-M850-1CR.

Blog Entries
    Easy!!

Quote Originally Posted by notnowkato View Post

Stolen from this thread that popped into my mind when I saw the question!

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...k+watch+police

Rob

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    What, no £1,000 Seiko? Where's that old rolling-eyes emo when you need it...

I think something with an expensive and complex movement, particularly in a country where the manufacture can barely be bothered to get out of bed to market it, is a bad idea when physical army-barry is likely. Stick with a tough quartz that isn't an inch thick so it completely gets in the way of everything including the door jamb of the local nick at 01:30 when you're banging drunk townies into the cells (Z33 FTW :)).
    Oh come on, I think everybody doing that sort of work needs at least one high-end, wildly expensive watch that fails to meet most of the criteria set out by the person looking for advice. I'd suggest a Breguet Tradition Fusee Tourbillon as a good, practical choice for a front line police officer.

To the OP - I quite like the look of the Casio you posted. As quartz is generally very accurate, the lack of radio synchronisation wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

It's a pity there isn't anyone in Sheffield selling watches.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Been operational for ten years, I wear an Omega Seamaster Pro Quartz. Tough as old boots!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paulrlx View Post
    Been operational for ten years, I wear an Omega Seamaster Pro Quartz. Tough as old boots!
    You're a braver man than I, can't see me ever wearing my SMP quartz to work. That said one of custody officers wear a 6k+ Breitling (the exact model escapes me...and him I think!) on a daily basis.

Banned
    Do you not just take them off prisoners after beating them up?

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    Do you not just take them off prisoners after beating them up?

Let us hope you only have the Timex about you should you ever have your collar felt !!!!!!

Hello,

I'm new to the world of watches and wonder if I can intrude to ask for some advice.

I am a police officer and need to carry an accurate watch. As most of my colleagues do, I wear a G-Shock. In its favour, it's accurate (radio controlled), not likely to stop unexpectedly (solar powered) and tough. However, it doesn't look as smart as I'd like. Are there any equivalently accurate analogue watches other than the analogue G-Shocks?

The ideal watch would offer radio-synched accuracy, be solar-powered, tough and reliable and have a clear analogue display with both date and day (my shift pattern means I quite often lose track of what day it is). That's not much to ask, is it? The one I've found that comes closest is this one (Citizen PMD56-2952):

Unfortunately it seems the radio-controlled synchronisation won't work in the UK.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Mark
    My Citizen synchs perfectly, what is the issue with this one ? It looks as though it would be perfect for your needs and looks the part too.

Quote Originally Posted by WingTsun View Post
    Depends on what you're looking to spend but if funds stretch to it you might have a look at a Seiko Spring Drive. Mine is currently accurate to with a second in 6 months which is about as good as it gets. There are various Seiko Spring Drive watches in various guises so you should be able to find one to suit your tastes. I have the SBGA029 Diver:

What would be useful with the above watch is that as well as being super accurate it's also very easy to read at a glance and the bezel gives you a timing function. It's also about as tough and robust as it gets. My father was a cop, BTW, in what used to be called the Manchester & Salford PF.
    Or.... if you're wrist is of a reasonable size.. Z33..

You do know what a cop is and what the job involves dont you?

ha...was thinking exactly the same when I read those suggestions!

Wasn't there a story a while back about one/more police forces running up huge speaking clock bills? Apparently cops often need to time statements/other documents accurately. Anyway, I think the suggestion on here at the time was just to give all officers an atomic Casio and block the speaking clock.

Sounded sensible to me: so another vote for a decent atomic solar Casio - I can vouch for the Riseman as a tough, reliable watch.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    It's a pity there isn't anyone in Sheffield selling watches.

Eddie
    The trouble is Eddie the perfect non G-Shock cop watch has been out of production for a while.
    Some one selling watches in Sheffield needs to sort this out.

A super robust, sapphire crystal, great lume, accurate quartz movement with a date, what more could you ask for. It's been my daily work watch for years and has proved it self as quite capable of taking a real hammering.

Craftsman
    Casio Wave Cepter pretty good range around £100

upgrade the pins and put on a Nato

Last edited by Neilo; 9th August 2012 at 15:42.

I'm not sure he meant they weren't up to the job, just not sure who would wear such expensive pieces when more likely than not it's going to get scuffed up in a tussle with some scumbag.

Frontline? Has to be the 5600.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I'm not sure he meant they weren't up to the job, just not sure who would wear such expensive pieces when more likely than not it's going to get scuffed up in a tussle with some scumbag.
    This, and the fact most (non-bent) PC's salaries really are not going to let them buy a SD or Z33.

I await the next 'what car for running the kids to school' thread with eagerness.

Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    This, and the fact most (non-bent) PC's salaries really are not going to let them buy a SD or Z33.

I await the next 'what car for running the kids to school' thread with eagerness.
    Two of my mates, both in the Met wear SD's. Don't forget they were a shade over £2k about 5 years ago and they can earn a fair whack with a few years service behind them and a bit of overtime. interestingly I bumped into one of them last week and he was wearing an old G shock as he's worried about dagon his SD now he knows it's worth a lot more than he paid for it!

Quite. I would personally never dare to presume what someone can and can't afford. People also apply their income to different things in differing proportions and then you have married with kids or single. To say that a cop could not afford a 4k watch if he so chose is actually rather condescending and rude.
    Ok. Before you get to the top of that moral highground let me qualify what I meant by meaning i doubt they would put that much cash into something that could get ripped off their wrist and lost or badly damaged while at work.

Which the post you quote really substantiates.

I have some idea how they think, also having police on my immediate family and good friends.
    Last edited by stooo; 9th August 2012 at 19:03.

I can't imagine anyone spending £8k on a DSSD in 2012 now I come to think of it - I imagine most public sector workers are not earning much more than they did 5 years ago, (if indeed they still have a job) which just goes to show how stupid the new prices are, and how most Rolex will now be pampered as jewellery as opposed to just 5 years ago when they were worn as tool watches by professionals. I wanted to put 'worn as tool watches by tools' but both my SD wearing friends are ex SPG and rather dwarf me at the bar - I'm 6'2'' and I look like a little boy standing next to them :-)

Master

Citizens are excellent beaters

The ideal watch would offer radio-synched accuracy, be solar-powered, tough and reliable and have a clear analogue display with both date and day (my shift pattern means I quite often lose track of what day it is).
    Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Mark
    One these might fit your needs, the well-spoken of BN0000-04H, good bright lume, very accurate:

And, by a strange coincidence, I have one for sale :-)

Keeps time to better that 5 secs/mo as we speak.

Stooo.Not moral high ground at all. I'm simply part of that particular family and can speak from experience. Go patronise someone else, this particular family doesn't appreciate it.
    WTF? Who is patronising your family?

You had a pop at me (c.f. condescending) while trying to use a different comment that really affirmed what I was trying to articulate in a thread about a work watch for a policeman.

So stop escalating this any more by trying to bring your family into it, because I sure as hell didn't.