closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: F1 @ Stratford?

Master

F1 @ Stratford?

Last edited by mrteatime; 5th August 2012 at 13:22.

Bernies been on about a London street race for years.... anythings possible....
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    just trying to think what the route might be.....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mrteatime View Post
    just trying to think what the route might be.....
    2000 laps around Marble Arch

Master
    It's a silly idea. A London street race would be pretty spectacular and probably quite popular globally, but it would need to actually be in London rather than Stratford.

Most types of motor sport are currently barred from closed public roads in the UK. There has been a bit of lobbying
    over the last year or so to remove restrictions.

http://www.bikehub.co.uk/news/sustai...ike-races-too/
    ______

​Jim.

Master
    I don't think the legal position would be particularly problematic if there was sufficient demand and minimal local opposition, the latter being the major obstacle to a central London street race, I would expect.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Seabadger View Post
    I don't think the legal position would be particularly problematic if there was sufficient demand and minimal local opposition, the latter being the major obstacle to a central London street race, I would expect.
    but if they were based in stratford then i would suppose the race would be local? Cant imagine f1 cars racing down West Ham Lane or Portway? Be cool to see them racing over Bow flyover though

Banned
    I don't see the attraction at all, just tart up Silverstone and get on with the racing

Master
    A London race would kill the British GP at Silverstone for sure... which coincidently, is also on Bernie's wish list.

Blog Entries
    Lets try over Tower Bridge as its opening,what a load of ----- there is enough hassle on the streets of London without this midget trying to add to it.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Master
    I went to see Jenson drive his McLaren through Manchestt last year. The noise bouncing off the buildings is just unique and created an incredible atmosphere. The revs were turned way down though and the car didn't go over 60mph so I can't imagine what it would be like at full power etc.

I can't see it being possible without the roads being re-surfaced though for starters.

Birmingham had street racing on closed public roads in the 1980's

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birmingham_Superprix

Kev

Bernie throws this kind of idea out every now and then, but I'm not sure we'll see F1 in London though; would be a great idea mind you...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    I can't see it being possible without the roads being re-surfaced though for starters.
    In my part of London they'd either need to switch to 4x4s for the race or alternatively allow an infinite number of replacement tyres and suspension parts. The speed bumps every 30m would take some of the fun out of it as well.

As a spectacle it'd be great in central London, but it's not going to happen - too many residents to annoy, and after the Olympics there's no way on earth that anyone could sell a major sporting event as being good for trade.

There was an article in one of the motorsport magazines with reasons why it will never happen. Nice little publicity stunt for Santander etc. though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Indeed, I can see it happening. Should be pretty good but I would have thought a central London router would be better foreign viewing than one in Stratford.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    Most types of motor sport are currently barred from closed public roads in the UK. There has been a bit of lobbying
    over the last year or so to remove restrictions.
    I don't see this being a problem if the money is there.

Remember that they actually did a demonstration day with F1 cars being driven round a small course in London a little while back. It was well-liked by all, I heard. Certainly looked damn good on tv.

Master
    The legal side really isn't an issue. If there's agreement to do it, it'll happen, although selling it to central London residents and businesses would be a different matter, particularly after the Olympics in the case of the latter.

In terms of other barriers, W44NNE raises a useful point in that whilst roads in the centre are vastly better than elsewhere, they're not suitable for anything other than a Wacky Races comedy event.

I seem to remember hearing what goes on in Monaco before the race be held, i dont beleive they could close roads in central London for two weeks before to reuface them and then a week after to clean them all back up again. Id go if it happened!