closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

View Poll Results: Which of Genta's designs do you prefer?

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • Patek Phillipe Nautilus

66 54.10%
  • Audemars Piguet Royal Oak

56 45.90%

Thread: PP Nautilus vs AP ROyal Oak

Hybrid View

PP Nautilus vs AP ROyal Oak

Shamlessly lifted from another site, but this is quite a nice write up about Genta's timeless designs:

http://www.fratellowatches.com/patek...uet-royal-oak/

I can't help but like the RO more...

Edit: Added a poll, since they seem to be flavour of the month!
    Last edited by RickChard; 27th July 2012 at 10:08. Reason: added poll

Master
    Honestly, I've never been a big fan of either, but I think the most recognisable would be the Royal Oak with such a unique hexagonal design.

I just wish they wouldn't produce all these different colored variants. I saw the current range yesterday and just wasn't impressed.

I like them both. I dont lust after them, but I like them.

Two vastly different designs though IMO.

Master
    both are great watches however if i had to choose it would be the royal oak, just love the bracelet on them

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    Honestly, I've never been a big fan of either, but I think the most recognisable would be the Royal Oak with such a unique hexagonal design.
    Octagonal strictly speaking but I agree it is a little more noticeable. The RO is definitely the more sporty-looking. It is asy to forget when seeing face-on shots quite how slim both these watches are - just c.8mm, which by sports watch standards is very dressy, if that makes sense? Chap next to me at Wimbledon a few weeks back had an old Nautilus on and I was struck by how dainty it looked. I think he was struck but how I kept sneaking a peek between points .

This is one of the classic grudge-matches! Even though I've got an AP 15300, I feel the Nautilus has the edge. They both have beautiful dials, but the PP case is a little less angular and the movement prettier IMO.

Its a fair bit pricier than even the 15202 though!

PP for me in this particular shoot out. I cannot think of another piece that looks like it. I am very happy to be corrected on that point if I am in error. Who knows? I might be able to aspire to ownership.

The AP wins this one for me. I know that the PP is an iconic watch, but doesn't really do much for me.

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    I just wish they wouldn't produce all these different colored variants. I saw the current range yesterday and just wasn't impressed.
    don't mix RO and ROO, very different aproach to watches..

PP Nautilus , for me the ultimate watch , one which I will sadly never own .... :-(

David

Quote Originally Posted by pacchi View Post
    don't mix RO and ROO, very different aproach to watches..
    Indeed. RO/ROC - classy.

ROO - errrr...no comment.

Craftsman

By a nose

AP for me, I think the PP design speaks of an era, the RO less so.
    The decision is based entirely on the design and says nothing on the undisputed quality of both watches.

I've owned examples of both ...

... and I currently have two Royal Oaks! There is huge variation across each of the ranges, of course. I had the white gold, power reserve Nautilus on a leather strap, but found it a bit too thin. I then had a steel Nautilus with an annual calendar on a leather strap - I loved it until I saw my current rose gold Royal Oak Dual Time. After that the Nautilus didn't get a look in at all. I also have an early Offshore (first series, so quite subtle).

The APs seem just as well made to me, but a bit less staid, without losing the retro vibe. The Dual Time has drawn lots of positive comments from non WIS - mostly women! ;o) I'm planning to let the Offshore go as the Dual Time actually has enough heft to wear casually, but still works with a suit.

PP in this comparison.

Patek for me but both nice

Patek. As the service costs at AP are nonsense.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RickChard View Post
    Shamlessly lifted from another site, but this is quite a nice write up about Genta's timeless designs:

http://www.fratellowatches.com/patek...uet-royal-oak/

I can't help but like the RO more...

Edit: Added a poll, since they seem to be flavour of the month!
    I inagine that was my thread, but pleased to see the article being distributed!

Since posting that, I've tried on the PP Chrono (£35k - Eeek!) and the 5711 (£24.5k) at a local AD. The Chrono felt good, but way to expensive. The 5711 by comparison wsa way to small and light, I couldn't feel it. A few weeks ago I tried the RO 'Jumbo' and it felt very, very good, however the one in the AD's had quite a scratch on the bracelet.

Perhaps one thing in favour of the AP though, the AD reckons that the classic 39mm 5711 AP is going to be discontinued soon, maybe worth a punt for future values.