closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rolex dilemma... Your opinions are requested :-D

Master

Rolex dilemma... The outcome :-D

I've had this same dilemma before. It's an extremely nice dilemma and one I never thought I'd be fortunate enough to come across (twice!) but I don't know what to do.

A while ago, I had a GMTc and a Yacht-master. At the time, I traded the Yacht-Master and then the GMTc went not too much later. A few weeks later, I regretted it and started craving a Yacht-Master again and all was fine until... I took a trade on here and ended up with another GMTc! So I'm back to square one.

Both of these watches are worn less than the rest of my collection, and mainly to occasions such as restaurants etc or when I just need to dress up. Both have enough bling that they look dressy but not too much that it's in your face.

- The GMTc...

Ceramic bezel which can't be scratched
    GMT function... whether I'd actually ever take this watch on holiday with me is another question entirely, as I usually take a less valuable watch. It's quite a cool function to have though
    The green lume of the maxi-dial is also nicer in my opinion, when compared to the blue lume of the Submariner etc
    Bi-directional 24 stop bezel with the ball bearing movement... sooo smooth!

- The Yacht-Master

Rare to be seen on other people
    Stunning platinum bezel (of which mine is absolutely mint and scratch-free)
    A dial that sparkles in the sun
    The red details set it apart from other Rolex as well
    It's also smaller and lighter than the GMTc and has a curved case with a low profile
    Bi-directional 60 minute bezel

So you see they're both lovely watches in their own right. The GMTc is more life-proof, but the Yacht-Master is that bit less commonly seen and I have to baby it to avoid scratches... which means it's even more special when I do bring it out.

Rather than a poll, what are your opinions on which one I should keep?

Quick pics...

Last edited by W44NNE; 31st July 2012 at 18:55.

keep the yacht master, in you post you have more positive to say about it than the GMTc.

life proof doesn't come into it if you only wear it occasionally!

The Yacht-Master is much prettier.

Banned
    Remind us what else is in your collection? Its hard to say in isolation.

Yacht Master for me :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    Remind us what else is in your collection? Its hard to say in isolation.
    - IWC Aquatimer 2000
    - Breitling Aerospace with Co-Pilot
    - Older Submariner LV
    - TAG Carrera Goodwood Festival of Speed edition
    - Omega Seamaster 2264

Hope that helps although none of the above are worn for dressy occasions

Keep them both and I'll play you best of three at pool for the IWC.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kungfupanda View Post
    Keep them both and I'll play you best of three at pool for the IWC.
    Hahaha... I'll swap your car for it as I'm after a new one ;-)

Banned
    You have loads of divers so i would keep the YM as the GMT looks so close to the Sub.

If it were me though i would chop them both in, get a GMTII in pepsi and a JLC master ultra thin for dress use!

You have loads of divers so i would keep the YM as the GMT looks so close to the Sub.

If it were me though i would chop them both in, get a GMTII in pepsi and a JLC master ultra thin for dress use!
    Agree, I am liking the pepsi more and more but given I've bought an Explorer and a Tudor from sc in last 2 weeks, I better stop liking.

- - - Updated - - -

Agree, I am liking the pepsi more and more but given I've bought an Explorer and a Tudor from sc in last 2 weeks, I better stop liking.

Both are real. Class but the YM would be my choice. They just look special

Master
    Thanks for all the replies... really amazed by the Yacht-Master love.

The GMTc is still a fantastic piece though... I'm no nearer to a decision by the way

Both look great but the GMTc does it for me.

Grand Master
    Neither would be my choice of 'dressing up watch', but if you're looking for something to fill that role it has to be the Yachtmaster for me.

I`ve never been a fan of GMT watches; at a glance the GMTc looks too much like a Sub; the Sub does the Rolex sports thing so much better IMO.

Paul

Master
    gmt for me, i dont really get the YM

You could either get rid of the GMTc and replace it with the one I have for sale, or if you don't want a TT model, get rid of the YM.

Banned
    YM for me because of the 'rarity' of them.

Seem to see a lot of rolex GMTs when out and about.

Quote Originally Posted by taz417 View Post
    YM for me because of the 'rarity' of them.

Seem to see a lot of rolex GMTs when out and about.
    When you are out and about in East Lancashire you don't.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    When you are out and about in East Lancashire you don't.

Lol I was in Leeds 3 weeks ago and spotted 2 GMTs in one pub.

A 16710 (pepsi) worn by a young guy on the table next to me and a GMTC worn by the bar owner.

YM for me, though I am surprised how much lover there is for it, would have expected the GMT to be far ahead in public opinion.

To me it's a simple choice, do you prefer a black dial/bezel combo or silver ?

Because unless you're a Rolex aficionado (and clearly as this is a watch forum there are plenty on here who are), they look pretty much the same (bar the colours).

Silver is dressier though.

Josh B....spot on (although I would go for MUT Moon)

Master
    Never really liked the YM - especially the shiny bezel. Much prefer the GMT II; but your tastes should be the determinant, not mine. You seem to have more love for the YM, and if you have a 2264 you have an excellent travel watch, anyway, with the quick-set hour hand.

Sounds like you'll keep the YM...

Craftsman
    I fully expected to say GMT when I opened this thread as I've always fancied one. However that YM is fantastic, so on looks alone i'd keep that one. Also, the GMT is quite similar to the Sub you already have.......or you could sell both and get the JLC you are after....that would be my choice

cheers
    Jim

GMT-C for me. It has an extra hand. Rolex GREEN.

ish

Master
    For everyday or the office I'd have said gmtc but for the use you put them to and given what else you have in your collection for other occasions it has to be the yachtmaster - definitely the special occasion watch out of the two. Anyway, you say you don't need the gmt complication whereas the timing bezel on the yachtmaster could always come in handy if your car is on a meter, or you've been told a table will be ready in 20 minutes, or you have a strange wish to time your pints, or, or...

Master
    Personally I would dump some of the other stuff. IMO the GMT and YM are the cream of your collection.

If it HAS TO BE between GMT and YM, I originally bought a YM in preference to a GMT. I subsequently bought a GMT-C when supply was more available. So for now I have both. If I could only keep one it would probably be the GMT as it's more adaptable, but the YM is a beauty, and makes a better dressing up watch (which they both serve really well as IMO). Sorry I haven't been much help - but to sum up, I would sell others.

Difficult choice. The YM is certainly a bit different from the usual Rolex sports, but I think the GMTc's ceramic bezel, new-style case, and upgraded bracelet swing it for me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fiddler69 View Post
    ...the timing bezel on the yachtmaster could always come in handy if your car is on a meter, or you've been told a table will be ready in 20 minutes, or you have a strange wish to time your pints, or, or...
    Lol so it isn't just me that times weird things then!

Thanks for all the replies. Amazingly,I'm still unsure what to do but someone has PM'd about a JLC navy seals that i want so this may change things. I think I need to try on the navy seals and then that may move me In a different direction.

In terms of the gmtc, I intended it to be a holiday watch but I haven't been away enough to justify that at the minute. Also, last time I went away, I was all set to take the yacht master but an hour before we left, I had a thought that if I dink it, it'll cause me to be a miserable sod on the holiday and I may come back a single man!

So instead, I took my LV sub because it already has the odd mark here and there and it's totally brushed so can just be re-brushed if needs be. I ended up not worrying about the watch at all and it therefore didn't cause any issues... I'm a real safe queen guy if the watch hasn't already got marks. If I buy it like new, it will generally stay like that... It must be an OCD thing where I have to look after these things now I can actually afford them!

By the way guys... Don't forget my freebie thread in sales corner for when I hit 2500 posts... Looks likely to be at some point today!

Master
    Very tough choice Wayne. My decision would be based on which one you enjoyed wearing more, rather than enjoy owning. If it came to looks then its very much a black vs silver contest. The YM is also certainly a rarer bird.
    If it were me it would be the GMT but then I have a bias towards black watches and I'd also find the YM a bit too for me to wear to the point I'd be too self conscious

Now if you throw the Navy Seals into the mix, that would be the one to go for IMO - given that you've got still got the Sub to cover the Rolex base.

Incidentally, it's hard to believe that the RRP of the Sub/GMT are now within sniffing distance of the JLC, and the street prices have to be pretty much the same (if not less for the JLC)!

dare I say it but a lot of the love (me included) for the YM is because we don't have the balls to buy one ourselves,

it is a stunning watch, one (possibly your old one) was on SC a while back and I very nearly shot over a PM as soon as I opened the post.

BUT I worried I was in a tiny minority, so bottled it

just goes to show that maybe heart is right, I wasn't alone,

the one you keep is by your own admission a watch you'll save for Best, therefore IMHO the YM is the one to keep,

although saying that I think I'll be keeping an eye on the SC for which ever one you move on, they are both rather lovely

Id say keep the yatch master as you obviously regretted the other decision last time but it does sound like you should keep both.

Craftsman
    i'd got GMT

the bezel on the YM is a pain scratch magnet

Bottom line is whatever you decide on, couple of months down the road you'll hanker after the other.

I'd keep GMT. YM is nice watch, but it does not speak to me.

Did I miss something? Is there a reason why you have to sell one of them?

If not, then why not keep both? They're iconic, they're sufficiently different functionally and aesthetically, and together form the heart of a premier watch collection.

If it were my "dilemma" I'd sell almost anything else in order to keep these two.

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post

Master
    Hi Wayne. GMTc for me but then I do have your old one.

I'd keep the YM.

Beautiful photo. They look like they belong together... Kinda Ying and Yang.

Master
    GMT much nicer imo

Keep the Yacht-Master, beautiful Rolex that is very under estimated IMHO.

Just reading the title made me shudder. Then I read a bunch of the replies. Didn't see any dissenting voices...

I know this is a watch forum, but there is a limit...

Quote Originally Posted by jimmer42 View Post
    I fully expected to say GMT when I opened this thread as I've always fancied one. However that YM is fantastic, so on looks alone i'd keep that one.

Jim
    I'm in exactly the same boat, currently looking and saving for a GMT amongst others. Ive never seen a YM that i like however that is stunning and would make a much better occasional watch than the GMT.

What a decision to have.
    Last edited by agl89; 24th July 2012 at 17:02.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    the YM.
    im less keen on ceramic bezels than i thought i would be.

Master
    I have been hankering after a YM myself, so that is the one I would be keeping

Red face

Tough call, if you could keep both I would

I have a GMT IIc and if I had to go down to only one that would be it, it's such a great all-rounder, not too big, not too bling, well designed bracelet

But the dial on the YM is something else, I think it's like the LVc, when the sun's on it you have to keep looking at at, throw in the red second hand and it's not all that common

Sorry I don't think that helps

Master
    Learn from your mistakes... keep both :)

Keep the GMT and drop the YM.

I'd have to say Yacht Master, because I prefer lighter coloured dials and for the fact it's rarer to see YMs, but ultimately you need to be happy within yourself...