closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any user experiences of the JLC Tribute to Deep Sea

Any user experiences of the JLC Tribute to Deep Sea

This has been as close to a grail as I get for quite a while now, and all being well I'm hoping to seal a deal for a completely unused/unworn one on Wednesday. It's a limited edition of 959 pieces, and a very faithful homage of the original - JLC's first dive watch - that was released in 1959.

I'm really wondering if any other forum members have one, have tried one on or can offer an informed opinion on it?

Ta :)

Master
    No experience with it Tony but this version and the American market version are stand out gorgeous. I'm tempted to buy one when I'm in the states later in the year as ones I've seen are a little cheaper than over here.

Regards,craig

Quote Originally Posted by waiteu2 View Post
    No experience with it Tony but this version and the American market version are stand out gorgeous. I'm tempted to buy one when I'm in the states later in the year as ones I've seen are a little cheaper than over here.

Regards,craig
    Would you get this or the US version, Craig? I find the clean dial a touch nicer.

Master
    I really don't know which one I'd go for.the dial on the European version is definitely cleaner, maybe a little more class but on the other hand I love the font on the US version dial! I'd be equally happy with either I think.

Master
    Tony,
    Thought hard about this watch and nearly bought it, if I didn't buy the IWC instead at a good discount. It does have the prerequisite vintage look and is relatively small by today standard at 40mm. Its glass is not sapphire, so is more prone to scratches. It is thin and comfortable to wear. Overall a lovely watch.
    Tim

Master
    I love those JLC Tribute to Deep Seas. I've never seen one in the flesh, but I've always been funny about acrylic crystals which has put me off. However, I'm looking forward to your pictures.

I quite like the typography on the US version too.

simon

Thanks both. The size and acrylic crystal are two of the attractions for me, actually

Hi Tony

I prefer the simpler , plainer euro dial version....ultra cool watch that one !

I think you will find Victor had one for a while....

Best - Neil

I tried it on at the airport (Heathrow Terminal 4 for info) a couple of weeks ago and liked it, although my wife said it was too small for me (may have had a point). All academic anyway as I wasn't in a position to buy.

Lovely vintage looks and just so understated. Really liked it but didn't love it. I probably loved the similar LE Polaris from a couple of years ago. That really was beautiful.
    Last edited by scarto; 22nd July 2012 at 20:12.

Is there a reason for using acrylic?

Quote Originally Posted by sestrel View Post
    Is there a reason for using acrylic?
    Nostalgia I would expect..... I'm glad, I love acrylic....
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    I do like them, and as you say, the acrylic plus size are a lot of the appeal. However, I suspect that after a brief honeymoon period it'll become a bit of a bland 'meh whatever' watch.

Just an opinion, but I wouldn't bother.

Quote Originally Posted by ASW1 View Post
    I do like them, and as you say, the acrylic plus size are a lot of the appeal. However, I suspect that after a brief honeymoon period it'll become a bit of a bland 'meh whatever' watch.

Just an opinion, but I wouldn't bother.
    Not for me it won't, and anyway it's massively less "meh" than most formulaic divers I've seen, Alun.

The choice of acrylic is simply to remain true to the original, and a lovely touch IMO.

Master
    Tony, if the size and acrylic crystal are not issues, then it is a no brainer. Their new vintage collection is not limited and I am sure that the tribute will be sought after. I still regret not getting it when it was at my AD.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by scarto View Post
    I tried it on at the airport (Heathrow Terminal 4 for info) a couple of weeks ago and loved it, although my wife said it was too small for me (may have had a point). All academic anyway as I wasn't in a position to buy.

Lovely vintage looks and just so understated. Really liked it but didn't love it. I probably loved the similar LE Polaris from a couple of years ago. That really was beautiful.
    Just realised I contradicted myself in the same post re: loving it...was getting mixed up with what I wanted to say about the Polaris later in the post!

Craftsman
    I "like" it but I don't "love" it and that's from someone with a passion for JLC and who has a Tribute to Polaris. In my mind it plays second string to the lead violin that is the Polaris. On the other hand, it probably is more wearable as a "suit" watch due to the absence of the domed plexi. Be aware that the alarm is a very different sound from the Polaris. Defintely worth trying on. For me the Euro version wins over the US version as my OCD couldn't live with the offset writing on the dial!

time for a gratuitous Polaris shot or two!

Quote Originally Posted by gusmac View Post
    I "like" it but I don't "love" it and that's from someone with a passion for JLC and who has a Tribute to Polaris. In my mind it plays second string to the lead violin that is the Polaris. On the other hand, it probably is more wearable as a "suit" watch due to the absence of the domed plexi. Be aware that the alarm is a very different sound from the Polaris. Defintely worth trying on. For me the Euro version wins over the US version as my OCD couldn't live with the offset writing on the dial!

time for a gratuitous Polaris shot or two!

Now that's nice!

The Polaris is lovely actually - in fact, all four models in the two releases are fantastic. However, this is my choice and I'm very happy that I've made the correct decision.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    The Polaris is lovely actually - in fact, all four models in the two releases are fantastic. However, this is my choice and I'm very happy that I've made the correct decision.

I don't like dive watches much but I'd have that one.

Is the acrylic domed on that one at all? Its difficult to tell. I thought all vintage acrylic watches were domed?

Craftsman

Congratulations Tony, you certainly won't be disappointed!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    A modern copy which equates to a long time grail.....for me, does not compute. A nice piece........but a grail? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by WingTsun View Post
    The Euro version of that is the only one to have and if it had a date wheel I might be going for one myself. Very nice!
    Not not sure about a date wheel, but it wouldn't be in keeping with the '59 anyway, Dunc. Bet you'll love it when you see it, though.

I can offer no personal experience, but it looks a lovely thing in the EU version, and is at a very wearable size.

Have you not tried one on? I am constantly surprised by how the wrist experience differs from images

Hi Tony,

Tried one on in South Africa and I loved it. The EU version is by far better (less is more and all that), the only thing that bothered me was the bezel didn't rotate which as a traveller would have made it perfect as a 2nd time zone and possibly the perfect watch!
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    Hi Tony,

Tried one on in South Africa and I loved it. The EU version is by far better (less is more and all that), the only thing that bothered me was the bezel didn't rotate which as a traveller would have made it perfect as a 2nd time zone and possibly the perfect watch!
    Thanks Jason! It was a fixed bezel on the original and they were trying to remain true to that, so I guess for the sake of authenticity...

I wouldn't mind seeing the US version in the metal, though.

I have one & I love it....you might want to wait until the two register chronograph Deep Sea is available later in the year though, looks even better

Quote Originally Posted by 11erv View Post
    I have one & I love it....you might want to wait until the two register chronograph Deep Sea is available later in the year though, looks even better
    Really? I bet it'll be a gorgeous thing, but I'd still go for the non-chrono, as it happens. Can't wait to see it though.

Any photos of yours?

Here it is, with it's 1960's chronograph descendent...if only I could work out how to attach an image from photobucket

Here it is, with it's 1960's chronograph descendent...if only I could work out how to attach an image from photobucket
    Me too

This might work...

I say - nice pair. The Tribute looks well able to hold its own is such good company, actually.

Master

Lovely watch ...

Hi Tony ,

I have had the Tribute to Deep Sea since it came out and love it . Very comfortable and I love the Classic Design .

Enjoy it ,

Vic :)

Last edited by Victor; 23rd July 2012 at 04:01.

Pretty sure the chrono is boutique only, when it comes out.

Malc

As you know, I'm a longstanding JLC fan. The alarm function is a great complication to have. When you consider the DSSD is now £8k, the JLC starts to look like a bargain!

There's no doubt that the version without all the text looks nicer to me.

Thanks all, and thanks Vic for the photos (which vindicate my decision even more!). What an absolute beauty.

I'm picking this up (effectively as a new watch) at a very decent price and for a LE that has very good residuals I'm delighted, although I don't intend doing anything other than keeping it for the long term. Anyway, it should be with me by the end of the week, and needless to say lots of photos will follow

Banned
    at last you are developing taste my friend...

However, this LE thingy you keep jabbering on about isn't all that. Almost a thousand units may be limited in respect of a Bolex model, but there is many a lesser produced model than these we see fairly frequently around these parts.

You lucky man. Both are beautiful but I think I'd have the American version.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    at last you are developing taste my friend...

However, this LE thingy you keep jabbering on about isn't all that. Almost a thousand units may be limited in respect of a Bolex model, but there is many a lesser produced model than these we see fairly frequently around these parts.

Yes, I take your point, Steve, but JLC have released two LE's of this nature over the last three years (with two variants of each) and all have pretty much sold out in very quick time. I've been looking at the pre-owned market (a fair few are still unworn as they're deemed to be quite collectable) for a few months now and whilst all four can be found there's certainly not very many around. Even less so in the UK as nearly all of the sellers are overseas.

Anyway, the main thing is that I love the watch. Some time ago I posted a WTB for a specific vintage Memovox that looked exactly like this - I can't remember if it was the actual '59 version or a very similar variant thereof. In any event, I couldn't find one for love nor money so this really is an exciting acquisition for me. And despite the man who has 12 identical Rolex divers saying above that it's a bit "meh" () from my perspective nothing could be further from the truth.

Thanks Jason! It was a fixed bezel on the original and they were trying to remain true to that, so I guess for the sake of authenticity...

I wouldn't mind seeing the US version in the metal, though.
    This may be a daft question, but if the bezel does not rotate, then what is its purpose? Is it related to the alarm function?

Martin

Yes, I take your point, Steve, but JLC have released two LE's of this nature over the last three years (with two variants of each) and all have pretty much sold out in very quick time. I've been looking at the pre-owned market (a fair few are still unworn as they're deemed to be quite collectable) for a few months now and whilst all four can be found there's certainly not very many around. Even less so in the UK as nearly all of the sellers are overseas.
    I happened to be walking down Bond street on Monday last week and saw a new one in the window of one of the jewelers there. It looked terrific.

Martin

Tony, you're a very lucky fella!!

I have posted before about this watch on these forums...several times, but for me watches really don't get much better than this.

I am so tempted to put nearly all my watches in as part of a deal to get this watch, but I suspect the price on these remains very high with little to no discount available, and I really would want to feel like I got a deal if I was trading/selling so many others for it.

Enjoy it Tony, I know you have had many nice watches but none as nice as this IMHO.

Cheers,

Tony

Really, Martin? You did well spotting one, actually, as there are relatively few about from what I've seen.

Tony, thanks mate - I'm really excited about this one and suspect it'll be one that I leave in my will!

Really, Martin? You did well spotting one, actually, as there are relatively few about from what I've seen.
    I wasn't really paying much attention to which jeweller but it was Bond Street, on the right-hand-side walking towards Oxford Street, not really sure now whether New or Old Bond street. Could it have been Watches of Switzerland? Anyway, what about that bezel? What is its purpose if it's fixed?

Martin

Craftsman

JLC

Your choice has to be one of the nicest watches i have seen !!

Well done on your purchase .

Lee

( i will PM you )

Quote Originally Posted by MartinCRC View Post
    I wasn't really paying much attention to which jeweller but it was Bond Street, on the right-hand-side walking towards Oxford Street, not really sure now whether New or Old Bond street. Could it have been Watches of Switzerland? Anyway, what about that bezel? What is its purpose if it's fixed?

Martin
    Short of being authentic to the original I don't know, Martin. However, as I have never yet found the need to rotate a rotating bezel I shall let others worry about it

These are beautiful watches, very nearly my first leap into JLC ownership, but couldn't quite pursuade myself to take the leap for some reason. European face all the way for me (the assymetry of the US version was offputting). Can't wait to see the inevitable LTF photoshoot, proud ownership postings, SC feature and then the mob baying for your blood for not selling at a fair price. These things keep me going!

Out of interest, didn't you once own a Longines Legend Diver tribute? Do these watches compare or is there a big difference in quality?

No comparison, European version all the way. I really don't like that US dial, too fussy.

I was thinking of the Longines Legend Diver too, they share some design DNA for sure, especially the no date version of the Longines. But that JLC is really beautiful, no question. And I usually can't be bothered with most dive watches.

Craftsman
    Thanks all, and thanks Vic for the photos (which vindicate my decision even more!). What an absolute beauty.

I'm picking this up (effectively as a new watch) at a very decent price and for a LE that has very good residuals I'm delighted, although I don't intend doing anything other than keeping it for the long term. Anyway, it should be with me by the end of the week, and needless to say lots of photos will follow
    Looking forward to see the photos and congrats!

Cheers, all. Rob, this won't be going anywhere near SC, trust me! And no, I haven't had a LLD although I do like the watch very much. I can certainly see what you mean about shared DNA, too.

Incidentally, if I was facing some kind of crisis and had to sell a watch I'd bought elsewhere, it would indeed be sold for market value