closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tag not getting the recognition of other premium brands

Re: Tag not getting the recognition of other premium brands

Well, I like the brand. When I bought my 2000 quartz in 1994 it started me off on the road to learning and collecting watches. At the time it really was my first 'serious' watch as it cost me nearly a month's salary. I actually think the early 90's TAGs were really nice, like the Super Professional Diver and chronograph (as seen in Die Hard II).

I don't really like the current range but that hasn't dampened my fondness for the brand from a sentimental viewpoint.

had my first proper look at a tag in a AD today..... (no intention to buy, but just wanted to baseline the quality against my internet purchases)

on the whole the package felt pretty good, not £1300rrp good (from what i seen i get a sense that longines offers more for less)

one end link didn't fit right - i could slide it back & forth on the springbar (my micro brand doesnt do that) & it changed date at 11.52, but the impression was of a decent enough watch, good finish on the case, nice bracelet, comfy - just a bit overpriced

looks are in the eye of the beholder really & tag seem to have a finger in every style pie & a display in every window, so in business terms they're doing something right

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Belligero
    Some less restrained (and slightly mentally unhinged) commentary here - not for the easily offended:

(Aussie language warning)

What does your watch say about you? Part 7: TAG Heuer

Why does TAG Heuer suck?
    "cads!"
    I have to admit that I do like some of Archie's phrases.

Quote Originally Posted by James.uk
    The ultimate 'High st' watch.. for people with enough money to buy a good watch but not enough knowledge
    That would be Rolex, wouldn't it?

Alright.

Tag not getting the recognition of other premium brands

Interesting that the posts on here by people who actually have the skills to work on watches all have nothing but praise for the quality of them.

Everyone else seems to think they are crap because everyone else says they are crap!

They are maybe a little pricey for what they are but you can get good discounts and they're a great used buy.

I've worn Tags for the past 20 years and not had s problem with one of them, my Kirium quartz chrono is my daily wear for the last ten years and still looks like new and I'm no desk jockey, it takes a hammering!

TAG are the go-to brand for knee-jerk bashing of watches with generic movements in flashy cases, even though other more esteemed brands do the same thing, and even charge more for similar quality kit. They suffer from this prejudice party because their 80's/90's stuff was mainly quartz, some of it a bit plasticy, but you have to remember than Omega sold a lot of quartz Seamasters and Constellations in those days.

Recent TAG stuff is much better IMO. Mainly mechanical, and although the "inhousedness" of their movements has been debated, they are still sufficiently different from the normal off-the-shelf movments. As ever, you can argue about prices being too high, but who can't you say this about?

There's a bit Skoda-syndrome going on - they have difficulty shaking off old perceptions. (Which are still being perpetuated, looking at some of the posts in this thread).

Quote Originally Posted by no.3
    that aussie guy is right they are crap, i just can't see the attraction

I agree they are crap* but I am strangely attracted to the Monaco Cal 12 LS.

john

* Tags are the poor man's Rolex.
    THIN is the new BLACK

Quote Originally Posted by Shane
    Well, I like the brand. When I bought my 2000 quartz in 1994 it started me off on the road to learning and collecting watches. At the time it really was my first 'serious' watch as it cost me nearly a month's salary. I actually think the early 90's TAGs were really nice, like the Super Professional Diver and chronograph (as seen in Die Hard II).

I don't really like the current range but that hasn't dampened my fondness for the brand from a sentimental viewpoint.
    Funny pretty much exactly same for me.
    I bought my first Heuer ( I thin k it was just before TAG got involved) from Austin Kaye on The Strand in about 1985 I then got a TAG Formula 1 in 1986 or so when they first came as a fun watch, upmarket Swatch if you like. Great watch and only cost £87.00 ( I just found the old box with price in the attic). My brother in law still wears it.

I am fond of them from, as Shane said, a sentimental point of view and I really like the Carrera, especially the new "birthday" because of the simplicity and un-fussiness of the face/design. I also like the fact they have on some movements moved away from the base ETA's and (as I understand it) use Seiko movements as the ébauche.

Would I spend £3,000 plus on one, I really not sure I would, but then I wouldn't spend £5,000 plus on a Rolex now either!

I am a bit surprised by some of the more vehement posts in this thread.

There are ususally those who reflect negatively on Tag, but still ...

I have no TAG Heuer, I have never owned a TAG, nor do I have any ambition of ever buying one, so I have no vested interest in TAG nor in defending them.
    But I must say, that I fail to see the difference between TAGs and many other watches in that class sporting generic movements. I wonder why some single out TAG Heuer as the target for their disdain.

Today, I of course find the old Heuer watches are wonderful. The Autavia is hard to beat. A beauty.
    But until the beginning of my WIS 'awakening,' I was never really aware or interested in Heuer/TAG Heuer watches, so the change from Heuer being being just plain 'Heuer' and TAG took over making the company TAG Heuer was never really a day of infamy to me, as it obviously is to some purists. To me the brand was always TAG Heuer until I learned of the background of the brand years ago. It was a natural thing for me to see the brand logo in its current incarnation.

Further more, I find almost the entire Monaco range very good looking (be it belt drive or not). Yes, there are of course exceptions to the rule.

The V4 might have had its share of problems, but the fit and the line of the glass flowing over into the case is simply out of this world. Goes for the LS too.
    It would be worth having just the V4 watch case on the wall as a work of art alone (with the movement issues, that might very well end up being the 'case' (no pun intended))

The Carrera I find very clean and good looking.

I 'even' like some of the Aquaracers (imagine the horror). I see no big difference between the quality/movements of these compared to some of the forum favourites.

Blog Entries

Stop moaning and buy some shitty Breitling then.
    Even more bling with a fçucking 2824 inside, for your real watch connoiseurs............

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

[quote=jason recliner]
    Quote Originally Posted by "James.uk":3nat2ojb
    The ultimate 'High st' watch.. for people with enough money to buy a good watch but not enough knowledge
    That would be Rolex, wouldn't it?

Alright.[/quote:3nat2ojb]

Err no. Rolex have never been a Saudi consortium. They have never farmed out their case making, dials etc to the cheapest maker... Etc etc.
    They are tough everyday watches of good quality. Most of the serious collectors wear one as an everyday watch.
    No wis could wear a TAG.

Err no. Rolex have never been a Saudi consortium. They have never farmed out their case making, dials etc to the cheapest maker... Etc etc.
    They are tough everyday watches of good quality. Most of the serious collectors wear one as an everyday watch. No wis could wear a TAG.
    Hmmmm, empirical data or ... ?

Do you have anything to back that up?

:D :wink:

I am just kidding of course. How ever, I do think that a statement fraught with danger :D

You might suffer a deluge of pics and stats about 'serious collectors' sporting other brands :blackeye:

Master

[quote=Griswold]
    Quote Originally Posted by Griswold
    Quote Originally Posted by "no.3":31y0v44z
    that aussie guy is right they are crap,
    That's what I like, a well structured and reasoned argument. :roll:
    well they have'nt produced a single design that i like, quality does'nt match up to the prices demanded.
    they are generally worn by people who no nothing about watches but think they are absolute class.
    i,m sure i could think of other reasons, but they are crap just sums it up nicely.
    As I said, that's what I like, a well structured and reasoned argument. :roll:[/quote:31y0v44z]

perhaps you could provide a well structured and reasoned arguement why they are not crap

No wis could wear a TAG.
    Oh dear. I guess this makes me a mere "enthusiast", then. Damn. :cry:

:D

I do wish people would recognise that a subjective dislike for a brand does not make the brand's products objectively "crap". I have a weird blindness around Rolex. I don't dislike the brand, I just find the designs leave me cold somehow, and the products seem terribly expensive compared to other brands, without a commensurate hike in quality (at least, not one which I can perceive). However, I'd never call Rolex "crap": I just recognise that they don't seem to be my thing, and move on.

Genuine question: TAG Heuer may not be everyone's cup of tea - but why so much vitriol compared with other brands? As I said somewhere up there, without TAG's buyout, Heuer would be a faded memory by now - just another defunct Swiss brand. Would the Swiss watch market really be better off without TAG?

perhaps you could provide a well structured and reasoned arguement why they are not crap
    They are not crap for much the same reasons that Rolex are not crap. Such as:

They are tough everyday watches of good quality.
    :mrgreen:

What a strange thread, which just goes to show how much a part peer pressure plays in shaping opinion.

I think the modern range of TAGs is great - there are some lovely models, some excellent movements, and they all seem to be solidly engineered and well finished (I try them on quite regularly, so I feel qualified to offer an opinion in that respect). I also think TAG deserve some credit for seeking to innovate (in terms of their movements, at least).

As for heritage - okay, it may not be the Heuer of old any longer, but it's the reason that the Heuer name still exists, and that some very creditable homages to the older models are available now, to all of us.

Quote Originally Posted by PreacherCain
    Genuine question: TAG Heuer may not be everyone's cup of tea - but why so much vitriol compared with other brands?
    Errrrr ... have you not seen the Rolex and Bremont threads that start each and every month :?

I think a lot of comments come from the fact if you ask for an opinion on any item it tends to draw out the people that don't like that particular item, and they can come up with an infinite number of reasons why or just say their "cr4p".

Still feel for the OP though, notice he's dropped the price from the Tag he has mentioned is for sale in his signature - looking at the comments here perhaps even once you have a high enough post count for SC, it isn't going to acheive the best price and perhaps try somewhere else?

Master

if you like tag thats fair enough you are entitled to your opinion, the designs are just not for me. nothing to do with peer pressure, there are many companies whose designs i don't fancy rado,b&m, graham etc
    crap may be a bit strong but i don't think they represent vfm there are many watches i would rather have for the money. i did find the aussie guy's rant funny though

[quote=no.3][quote=Griswold]
    Quote Originally Posted by "no.3":2vr5wu3q
    Quote Originally Posted by Griswold
    Quote Originally Posted by "no.3":2vr5wu3q
    that aussie guy is right they are crap,
    That's what I like, a well structured and reasoned argument. :roll:
    well they have'nt produced a single design that i like, quality does'nt match up to the prices demanded.
    they are generally worn by people who no nothing about watches but think they are absolute class.
    i,m sure i could think of other reasons, but they are crap just sums it up nicely.
    As I said, that's what I like, a well structured and reasoned argument. :roll:[/quote:2vr5wu3q]

perhaps you could provide a well structured and reasoned arguement why they are not crap[/quote:2vr5wu3q]

I didn't for one moment say that they aren't crap. I merely pointed out that your post was neither well structured or reasoned.

If you say that they are crap then it's up to you to explain why.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flash
    Still feel for the OP though, notice he's dropped the price from the Tag he has mentioned is for sale in his signature - looking at the comments here perhaps even once you have a high enough post count for SC, it isn't going to acheive the best price and perhaps try somewhere else?

Haha Cheers Flash! I have actually had someone enquire on the back of this thread albeit just a general enquiry and another chap from the states has shown an interest via another source.....fingers crossed it will go soon as I've got my eyes on a couple more pieces!

Master

i,m sure i could think of other reasons, but they are crap just sums it up nicely.[/quote]

As I said, that's what I like, a well structured and reasoned argument. :roll:[/quote]

perhaps you could provide a well structured and reasoned arguement why they are not crap[/quote]

I didn't for one moment say that they aren't crap. I merely pointed out that your post was neither well structured or reasoned.

If you say that they are crap then it's up to you to explain why.[/quote]

i think i have explained why i personally don't like them, if others feel differently thats good for them i hope they enjoy owning them.

Err no. Rolex have never been a Saudi consortium. They have never farmed out their case making, dials etc to the cheapest maker... Etc etc. They are tough everyday watches of good quality. Most of the serious collectors wear one as an everyday watch.
    No wis could wear a TAG.
    There's a couple of sweeping generalisations there.

My TAG served me as a tough everyday watch for 10 years. I passed it onto a friend of mine when I bought my Sub and its still going strong 14 years later. So, I'd say it and they are "tough everyday watches of good quality" - maybe just not "premium" quality depending on model/movement of course.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

if you like tag thats fair enough you are entitled to your opinion, the designs are just not for me. nothing to do with peer pressure, there are many companies whose designs i don't fancy rado,b&m, graham etc
    crap may be a bit strong but i don't think they represent vfm there are many watches i would rather have for the money. i did find the aussie guy's rant funny though
    Now if only you'd said that in the first place. :wink: :lol:

There are many designs that are not for me too. I guess that's part of this great hobby, it makes us enjoy and value more the ones we do like. :)
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Stoat
    Genuine question: TAG Heuer may not be everyone's cup of tea - but why so much vitriol compared with other brands?
    Errrrr ... have you not seen the Rolex and Bremont threads that start each and every month :?
    Heh - a very fair point, my mustelid friend. :)

And no, I suspect the OP may be better off selling his wares elsewhere given the reception here. ;)

Unlike many of the posters i've got a TAG and i have had one for about 8 years. :wink: :lol:

I've got a micrograph and i love it to pieces. To me its a cracking design, it sits brilliantly on the wrist and it never fails to get comments....but....

On the two occassions where i've had to replace the battery i've taken it to WoS, paid the (inflated) price and on both occassions the watch has then needed to be returned to tag for a new board within the week. I've never been gifted this work for free, and i've always had to fight to get it done FOC. The first time TAG picked up the bill but the second time they refused and WoS had to pay.

I've never been given a clear undersanding of what the issue was and why it needs all this additional work. As such my view of the brand is coloured by the piss poor customer service i've received on a rare and collectable watch. I'm now left with "the fear" of what happens the next time the battery is replaced, who do i use and what happens if it goes wrong?

As such when we were looking for a watch for my fiancee's 30th birthday i pushed her in the direction of Omega, as my SMP and Speedie have been a joy to own.

Banned

I aspired to owning a TAG when younger, but didn't really like the designs as i was able to afford them. Their new Seiko-derived calibre deserves respect, but the designs still leave me cold. I would have one of the Aquaracers for a holiday watch, but just don't fancy them or a main watch.

I like Bremont due to a personal feeling and enjoy the IWC 3548 even though there's hardly any modern IWC i like.

I'd pickup on a comment within this thread that a herd mentality exists when it comes to the brands that find favour, without any real reason for their opinion; this, unfortunately is the meritocratic sub-culture that exists within all internet fora. If the great and the good we suddenly to commend Bremont and bemoan Rolex, then second hand values would change.

As I said to someone recently in the real world 'yes i notice your watch, but the question you should ask is do I care what you're wearing?'. A Rolex wearer is no better a person than a TAG wearer.

Master

I aspired to owning a TAG when younger, but didn't really like the designs as i was able to afford them.
    Same here pretty much. I've always meant to buy a 2000 Professional just so I can say that I did eventually get one, but that's out of sentimentality more than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by PWatch

Haha Cheers Flash! I have actually had someone enquire on the back of this thread albeit just a general enquiry and another chap from the states has shown an interest via another source.....fingers crossed it will go soon as I've got my eyes on a couple more pieces!
    Mr Stoat actually, Flash is my forum rank :wink:

Sounds like you've done well, perhaps use the funds to buy a proper watch rather than another [s:3u2w64bb]Tat[/s:3u2w64bb] Tag :twisted:

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Sounds like you've done well, perhaps use the funds to buy a proper watch rather than another [s:3swssi1r]Tat[/s:3swssi1r] Tag :twisted:
    Its a toss up between DSSD or PAM 372....or maybe an aquaracer :twisted:

My only TAG-Heuer is actually a Lemania-powered transition model from right after the Heuer takeover by TAG in 1985.

Since then, I feel the brand has gone through a long period of cheapening of its image, and it is only recently that I perceive a real desire to move upwards. Sadly, most of the newer models seem over-designed to me and therefore fail to fully capture the charm of the vintage Heuer models. And before anyone asks, I include the current Monaco and all the other re-editions in that statement.

Sounds like you've done well, perhaps use the funds to buy a proper watch rather than another [s:yqzz9w9z]Tat[/s:yqzz9w9z] Tag :twisted:
    Its a toss up between DSSD or PAM 372....or maybe an aquaracer :twisted:
    DSSD on Rubber B is a great watch 8)

<hijack>Pascal, that's lovely - I would say that of course, having a grey PVD Heuer version (510.503), but I suspect the black PVD is the nicer case. Is that a Sinn strap, BTW? </hijack>

<hijack>Pascal, that's lovely - I would say that of course, having a grey PVD Heuer version (510.503), but I suspect the black PVD is the nicer case. Is that a Sinn strap, BTW? </hijack>
    Looks like a Di Modell Chronissimo waterproof strap ... http://www.watch-band-center.com/watchs ... -blac.html ... Sinn fit these to some of their models (857 UTC for one) though they are branded up as Sinn.

Yep, that's a Chronissimo. :thumbup:

I first got exposed to this strap with a Sinn-branded one on my model 157, but it is now on several of my chronographs.

As a newbie I have admittedly limited knowledge and appreciation for movements, although I’m trying to broaden my understanding and appreciation through TZ this thread has just confused me further.

Here’s something to ponder, I got my Monaco for my 21st birthday, the reason I didn’t get a Rolex or Breitling was that 3 of my friends had already got a Rolex and 1 a Breitling for their 21st, and do you think they cared what type of movement made the hands move? With “what your watch says about you” in mind what does your watch say about you if you own say a submariner that a 21 year old has and is flashing it in photos with a glass of Champagne in one hand and the bottle in the other, in “VIP” of a club in Edinburgh? I’m not saying I made the right choice but maybe its not as clear cut a choice as some are making out?

I may be opening myself up to some “educating” with this but it’s just a newcomer’s view.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by agl89
    As a newbie I have admittedly limited knowledge and appreciation for movements, although I’m trying to broaden my understanding and appreciation through TZ this thread has just confused me further.

Here’s something to ponder, I got my Monaco for my 21st birthday, the reason I didn’t get a Rolex or Breitling was that 3 of my friends had already got a Rolex and 1 a Breitling for their 21st, and do you think they cared what type of movement made the hands move? With “what your watch says about you” in mind what does your watch say about you if you own say a submariner that a 21 year old has and is flashing it in photos with a glass of Champagne in one hand and the bottle in the other, in “VIP” of a club in Edinburgh? I’m not saying I made the right choice but maybe its not as clear cut a choice as some are making out?

I may be opening myself up to some “educating” with this but it’s just a newcomer’s view.
    Very fair points, some people wear watches to pander to other people's and some wear a watch to make them smile I know who I am! ;)

Quote Originally Posted by agl89

Well done for not going with the herd, I choose watches I like that also aren't very popular - which is why a lot of people end up ditching TAG...

I am not sure the new design spoil the old ones, am as happy with my Zenith as I ever was despite some horrible designs leaving the factory over the years, but I think a lot of that is a combination of great design & relative scarcity - have ony ever seen 2 in the wild over 10 years of ownership, and only one the same as mine.

Master

I think the problem with Tag is much like the problem Burberry had a few years back - they became too popular with the 'wrong' type of people, ie a bit chavvy.

I do like some of the new retro designs, but for the price would choose something else, a Tudor for instance, every time.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by stuie-t
    I think the problem with Tag is much like the problem Burberry had a few years back - they became too popular with the 'wrong' type of people, ie a bit chavvy.
    This, you hit on the point exactly. I can't see much difference between their auto powered stuff such as Carrera, Aquaracer etc. and anyone else's products with similar movements and construction. Some of the comments on this thread about quality and VFM are utterly laughable bullcrap.

One last point which is not meant as a bashing. The only watch I have had that has broken on me is a modern Rolex. The main spring broke.

This is turning into a playgorund level "your brand of trainers are crap" style debate.

You always get these kind of sweeping statements from people trying to justify why they wouldn't buy a cheaper / less premium brand:

"Why would I buy brand X when I can afford brand Y?"
    "The quality of brand Y is vastly superior to Brand X?" (usually they've never sampled Brand X and the quality difference is very small)
    "No-one who knows anything about watches / cars / hifi's, etc would buy brand X" (Translation: "Brand X isn't aspirational so why would anyone buy it?)"

Start a discussion on the Rolex Forum about Rolex vs Omega / Tudor or on a car forum about Skoda vs VW, VW vs Audi, BMW / Mercedes vs any non premium brand and you'll get exactly the same type of arguments from people trying to justify why they've brought the more premium brand.

People should stop worrying about brands and branding so much - it's just marketeers spending huge amounts of money to get you to want their products. I say if you like a watch buy it, if you don't like it then don't buy it.

When I buy a car I don't look for a particular brand, I look at which models fit the criteria I'm looking for. If a car company makes one model that I really like I'll buy it, it doesn't matter if I don't like all their other models as I wont be driving them! This is why I now own a Skoda Octavia VRS and I previously owned a Hyundai Coupe even though there's no other Skoda's or Hyundai's I really like.

I would love a Monaco, autavia, or carrera, the old type. I'm sure the modern ones are well made, they just don't capture my imagination.

"A true Wis wouldnt wear a Tag"

What a load of old shite.

A true WIS wears anything he likes. Brand names are irrelevant.

What is a brand name other than 95% marketing?? You wear what you like... :o

i got this one and love it

Master

I think they have some very nice models but have stretched themselves to thinly with the amount of models on offer. They are no worse or better than Longines, Ebel, or Breitling but they are asking a little too much for some of their models, but that's the Swiss for you. I had a nice quartz and it worked fine and I think for a general all rounder, they represent a great watch even if they are not necessarily, good value anymore. They could do with a fresh look and a more defined and focused range and pop their prices just under their competitors. Lastly, I wish they would bring back the Red and Green logo on all the pieces as that for me is, TAG!

Quote Originally Posted by stix
    I wish they would bring back the Red and Green logo on all the pieces as that for me is, TAG!
    Like this one?

[attachment=0:17y4zuo2]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342159181.514163.jpg[/attachment:17y4zuo2]

My only other Tag with the red/green logo is a 4000 series and then it's on the case/bezel.

The only modern Tag I'd wear is the Monaco, although I do quite like some of the Carreras (although my Speedy ticks that box).

IMG_1032 by DrBox, on Flickr

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DrBox
    The only modern Tag I'd wear is the Monaco, although I do quite like some of the Carreras (although my Speedy ticks that box).

IMG_1032 by DrBox, on Flickr

Love the vintage Nav!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63
    Quote Originally Posted by stix
    I wish they would bring back the Red and Green logo on all the pieces as that for me is, TAG!
    Like this one?

[attachment=0:31e82om4]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342159181.514163.jpg[/attachment:31e82om4]

My only other Tag with the red/green logo is a 4000 series and then it's on the case/bezel.
    Yes, I really likedmy (6000 I think) TAG, grey face, strap snapped shut with a reassuring click & logo split in 2 as the bezel was rotated. As said before I did get a bit bored seeing them in every meeting I went to & don't see much wrong with them just don't want anything that "high-street" any more, although as others have said is all perception as never really wanted a Rolex but tried one on & liked the watch more than the image.