closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: IWC Ingenieur Vintage

Master

IWC Ingenieur Vintage

I saw this Ingenieur Vintage the other day and it really took my interest. Has anyone got one and any pics to share?

Re: IWC Ingenieur Vintage

Stunning watch , tried it on an wears big for a dressy watch. Was seriously considering it ,as I already have a Portuguese I probably wouldn't wear it so didn't buy it.

Truly stunning watch. I've got to go to the local AD to see if they have one.

Now that's a beauty. Like it a lot. :)
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master

Prefer the non vintage version, as they have an unique appearance. I just think the vintage version is like other round watches :(

Master

I had this one below .................. The one in your picture is the a white gold or platinum one. Mine was steel.

In terms of spec - check out IWC's website here http://www.iwc.com/en/collection/vintage/IW3233/

It has an in house movement - the IWC Pellaton - see here for a review http://amateureconblog.blogspot.com/200 ... nding.html.

Stunning watch - so why did I flip it? Well, it was relatively large on the wrist, making it quite obvious (i.e. perhaps trying a bit too hard/adopting the big watch fad), plus see below the IMO poor finishing on the close ups of the hands, and the indicies were a bit shiny, and ultimtely I wanted to fund a Sub C LV - which is more my thing. Did like the IWC, but combination of no income at the time and want the Sub was it's deathnell.

Here is is compared to a GMT

Stunning pics AS, beautiful watch. I certainly do hear what you are saying on the size, can't open the IWC link at the moment but @ something like 42mm x 14.5mm thick, what were they thinking? Perfect size for a divers watch, for something that dressy looking it is ridiculously sized! 40mm x 12mm would've been perfect. The markers look very Calatrava 5127 ish also! Great looking watch though!

Too large & not a 'real' Ingenieur (lacking anti-magnetic properties).

Quote Originally Posted by shamardal
    Stunning pics AS, beautiful watch. I certainly do hear what you are saying on the size, can't open the IWC link at the moment but @ something like 42mm x 14.5mm thick, what were they thinking? Perfect size for a divers watch, for something that dressy looking it is ridiculously sized! 40mm x 12mm would've been perfect. T!
    Exactly , far too big. Witha divers watch there is also bezel , I was disappointed ,If it had been 40mm would of been perfect.

Master

I like 42mm as Ive got the Omega PO at 42 and it feels too small, prefer the 45mm. Also the FA Jones is 44mm and that really is too big for a dress watch.

Gorgeous pics and it does look very smart on your wrist there tho maybe a touch large, how big is your wrist by the way?

Quote Originally Posted by aksing
    I like 42mm as Ive got the Omega PO at 42 and it feels too small, prefer the 45mm. Also the FA Jones is 44mm and that really is too big for a dress watch.

Gorgeous pics and it does look very smart on your wrist there tho maybe a touch large, how big is your wrist by the way?
    I have a 42mm Planet Ocean in my collection also and it doesn't feel big,you have to remember the Ingenieur is 42mm of face (no bezel) and is very thick , it wears much larger than a 42mm PO>

Quote Originally Posted by jonny
    Quote Originally Posted by aksing

I have a 42mm Planet Ocean in my collection also and it doesn't feel big,you have to remember the Ingenieur is 42mm of face (no bezel) and is very thick , it wears much larger than a 42mm PO>
    Absolutely, you'd need a bloody big wrist to pull something like this off, without a bezel you have all face and massive diameter crystal, it makes it wear huge, and each mm adds more to that effect with this type of watch. It would wear more like a 45mm diver if not even bigger. I once tried on a 36mm, then 39mm, then 41mm railmaster....that 5mm variation felt very different, the small one felt ...a little small, the medium one pretty much right, but a big jump, the 41mm felt like strapping on the dinner plate. Saucer, sandwich plate then dinner plate...all within 5mm :D

Master

I kind of know what you mean, I tried on a 44mm Chopard GTXL and with no bezel that wore pretty big but was borderline okay for me so 42mm should be fine. If the 42mm PO is fine for you then this will be too big but as I said I prefer the 45.

The watch is pretty good, but those macr pics are brilliant. Thanks for posting them.

Damn, those pictures look pretty good ASW1!
    Altough not my favorite in Vintage collection, it sure is a pretty watch. Just look at those side lines and polished/brushed surfaces. Drool mode :ON

I tried one a few years ago; my over-riding impression was how deep/tall is was; it is very out of proportion, IMO.
    I went for the Portuguese vintage instead (see my avatar), which I think has a larger diameter but is so thin that it wears much better on the wrist than the Ingenieur.

Looks good, but I agree with it being to big for a formal watch.

Quote Originally Posted by shamardal View Post
    Absolutely, you'd need a bloody big wrist to pull something like this off, without a bezel you have all face and massive diameter crystal, it makes it wear huge, and each mm adds more to that effect with this type of watch. It would wear more like a 45mm diver if not even bigger. I once tried on a 36mm, then 39mm, then 41mm railmaster....that 5mm variation felt very different, the small one felt ...a little small, the medium one pretty much right, but a big jump, the 41mm felt like strapping on the dinner plate. Saucer, sandwich plate then dinner plate...all within 5mm :D
    I had the pleasure to buy this piece from ASW1, and a year on it is still one of my favourites.

I have a 7 3/4 wrist due to good bone structure and regular gym work - this enables me to wear a PO 45, PAM 111 etc with ease.

I'd love a Railmaster XL if I could find one.

May I suggest that you stop whinging, get some exercise and enjoy wearing a proper watch :)

Journeyman

really stunning and some great pics here, but...

wears too big for a dress watch.

I seriously considered buying that one as a complement to my 3227-01, but ended up selling that one instead.

If I could have muscled up my arm enough for it - I would probably go for a portuguese as they are more dressier IMO.

There is a real vintage Inge on SC (ref 666) - now that is a watch to die for.

Had one and traded it because I and found it way too blingy (AR-coating and indices), did'n't like the vertical brushing on the side of the case and the lack of having a soft-iron inner-case bothered me. Better to view it as a very large dress-watch, which it isn't supposed to be...

Quote Originally Posted by W124 View Post
    I had the pleasure to buy this piece from ASW1, and a year on it is still one of my favourites.

I have a 7 3/4 wrist due to good bone structure and regular gym work - this enables me to wear a PO 45, PAM 111 etc with ease.

I'd love a Railmaster XL if I could find one.

May I suggest that you stop whinging, get some exercise and enjoy wearing a proper watch :)
    Lol, it was just an observation. Been training for 7 years mate, matters not a jot in wrist size (well maybe a very small amount, makes average sized watches fit better, rather than being able to pull off substantially bigger watches), we can't all be given gorilla bone structure ;)
    I still maintain the above, for the type of watch it is, they made it all wrong, it's a dress watch in a divers sized case....for no apparent reason? Still, it is a sweet watch, glad you like it, but I'd think more would've been interested if it was sized classically rather than fashionably.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I really like it. I'm nont a great fan of small watches so it those dimensions, it would suit me perfectly.

Put baton hands on it and I'd buy one tomorrow.

Craftsman

slight correction

This is a Vintage Collection Ingenieur not a Vintage Ingenieur and in no way is it a true Ingeniuer in as much as it does not have the farraday anti magnetic cage surrounding the movement. That said its a beautiful watch and well received by the modern IWC collector

Here is a TRUE Vintage Ingenieur

First series 766AD from 1959

Ivan
    iwcforme

Master
    Blog Entries
    Here is mine from 1956:
    18k Gold
    666A Ingenieur with cyclops

Master
    Lovely but something more appealing in the new case design. The newer model just stands out!

Craftsman

IWC Ingenieur...vintage collection

Quote Originally Posted by tim2012 View Post
    Lovely but something more appealing in the new case design. The newer model just stands out!
    a stunning watch and a good replica of the original Ingenieurs, with reservations as I have never been a follower of see through back plates

here's my own vintage ingy dated 1959

Ivan
    iwcforme
    Last edited by Ivan Melbourne; 25th October 2015 at 19:54.

Craftsman

Ingy

Quote Originally Posted by joaocpneves View Post
    Here is mine from 1956:
    18k Gold
    666A Ingenieur with cyclops

A great example of the first series vintage Ingenieur

congratulations

Ivan
    iwcforme

Master
    As everyone's been saying, another candidate for the incredible watch shrinking machine. So lovely in photographs, so overwhelming on the wrist. Of course it will be in proportion for some of us, but on others it would just scream 'Look at my huge expensive watch'!

Master
    Old thread resurrection but here's my VC Ingenieur Laureus...

Yes, it's a big watch and in close-up pictures it looks quite large on my 7" wrists...

But in real-life, I think it wears ok...

I had the 3233 for some time, I think it's has the best dial ever, with the small dots all around and super sharp and clear hands, the only downside I found and I couldn't come to live with it, was the thickness, it's wears too tall for me and I could have never adjusted. Or it's just a period where I like thinner watches, I don't know. This watch is a future classic, no doubt about that.

I had one. Watch looks great however on closer inspection there were a few niggles around how it was put together. Compared to the Omega AT and Grand Seiko I had at the time in my 'sporty dressy' rotation the IWC was nowhere near as well made. Finishing was imperfect and it just felt like a cheaper watch than it was so I got rid of it. To sum up, watch looks great but doesn't feel premium up close.

IWC watches - all their watches seem to wear big particularly the ones with 68 + hour power reserve. Some of them are so tall when worn on the wrist it is like wearing an apartment block on your wrist.

I think the IWC pilot range have the right proportions? The dressier ones are just too big.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chris56 View Post
    IWC watches - all their watches seem to wear big particularly the ones with 68 + hour power reserve. Some of them are so tall when worn on the wrist it is like wearing an apartment block on your wrist.
    You need to Man Up :)

...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post

Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post

Yeah, I know it's foreshortening, and all that, but that watch is objectively too big for you! Too damn big!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Sorry, that's doesn't cut it. It might look a bit long from lug to lug, but there isn't a handy little space between the underside of the lugs and your wrist where you can push a couple of Mont Blancs for storage. This is because unfortunately the shape of the case more or less fits your wrist. Plus, it isn't nearly tall enough and doesn't look like it'll catch on enough door jambs, handles, pendant lamps and suchlike. Must try harder ;).
    Last edited by andrew; 28th October 2015 at 14:55.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!