closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Most under rated watch

Most under rated watch

In my opinion the Longines Hydro Conquest Automatic is the bargain of the century.

It is stylish, it has a quality Swiss hacking movement, it has a quality name on the dial and its rated to 3,000 metres.

Its not stupidly expensive.

My only niggle is the groove around the crown which hinders turning the screw in crown, perhaps its to stop over tightening.
    I'm just a very naughty boy.

Good deals with- VINSTINK, kevkojak, Optimum, Omegary, seikoking, acg, SPEEDY, kfman, Card Shark, wajhart, Jot, danboy, zenomega, gaz64, minke, Mal52, Alas, norfolkngood, Sparky, rdwiow, mrteatime, gravedodger, joeytheghost, lordoftheflies, Silver Hawk, Filterlab, brooksy, marmisto, Fray Bentos, Bootsy, Harvey69, Mantisgb, bristolboozer, Jedadiah, newtohorology, Zephod, jimm1, Draygo, Raptor.

I may have forgot one or two, apppologies.

Re: Most under rated watch

Yes, good call. But I'd vote for the Hamilton Khaki King auto on bracelet. Day/date, Swiss movement, nice size, good bracelet, sapphire crystal - think they're discontinued now, but were great value. Love mine.

Current Visiodate is a good watch for the money too I think.

I can see where your coming from, and at about £790 new its not a bad watch for the money.

(picture found on google and borrowed)

However compared to the japanese offerings i'd say it would be a close call on value for money,
    The seiko Sumo for example which can be had new for about £420 (SH at about £250), and house the 6R15 which i'd say is a good comparision against the eta 2824 (which is what the conquest houses)

I think it's 300 metres.

Agree with the visodate

Recommended my mate to get one and now every time I see it I want one myself :-)

Journeyman

Wow, haven't seen that before. Like it a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by dougjim8

However compared to the japanese offerings i'd say it would be a close call on value for money,
    The seiko Sumo for example which can be had new for about £420 (SH at about £250), and house the 6R15 which i'd say is a good comparision against the eta 2824 (which is what the conquest houses)
    The Sumo is indeed a great watch but to most people the words Seiko and made in Japan just don't stack up against Longines and Swiss made.

Good deals with- VINSTINK, kevkojak, Optimum, Omegary, seikoking, acg, SPEEDY, kfman, Card Shark, wajhart, Jot, danboy, zenomega, gaz64, minke, Mal52, Alas, norfolkngood, Sparky, rdwiow, mrteatime, gravedodger, joeytheghost, lordoftheflies, Silver Hawk, Filterlab, brooksy, marmisto, Fray Bentos, Bootsy, Harvey69, Mantisgb, bristolboozer, Jedadiah, newtohorology, Zephod, jimm1, Draygo, Raptor.

Quote Originally Posted by luddite

The Sumo is indeed a great watch but to most people the words Seiko and made in Japan just don't stack up against Longines and Swiss made.
    Fair dos, the image of Longines/swiss to the masses is a better image but as a WIS if i where to see a Sumo in the wild i'd consider them a fellow WIS where as the longines i'd not consider quite as much :mrgreen: ...

At the end of the day it depends what your after, because as mentioned before Hamilton have a brilliant offering of fully automatic swiss made watchs and they're at a lower price (although i'd say a little step down in qualty too).

But for swiss made good value and high quality for under £800, i don't think anything could match the conquest :mrgreen:

Now shall i try and buy one? It seems i'm talking myself into one :lol:

Longines are definitely underrated. The Heritage range has some real stunners at some superb prices.

Alpina are massively underrated too - the new Worldtimer for example is a stunner:

Fair dos, the image of Longines/swiss to the masses is a better image but as a WIS if i where to see a Sumo in the wild i'd consider them a fellow WIS where as the longines i'd not consider quite as much :mrgreen: ...

At the end of the day it depends what your after, because as mentioned before Hamilton have a brilliant offering of fully automatic swiss made watchs and they're at a lower price (although i'd say a little step down in qualty too).

But for swiss made good value and high quality for under £800, i don't think anything could match the conquest :mrgreen:

Now shall i try and buy one? It seems i'm talking myself into one :lol:
    I'm in my second one, the first was the quartz model but I always wished it was an auto.

Just before Xmas 2011 a friend offered me a 2 month old blue auto for £480, I snapped it up. :)

In my very limited collection then Tsovet...

I've got two of them, this one was about £100, designed in California, but built in Switzerland.

The other one was £150 off SC but I don't have a photo of that one...

A

Here is a real one...

Only thing I would like is the bracelet to be completely brushed, rather than the polished centre links. One day I might do it!

Hublot Big Bang :P

I agree with Longines being an underrated brand, but this one for me has to be the most underrated Swiss diver's watch of them all:

Tissot Seastar 1000.

Can't disagree with the Tissot, it was buying a quartz Tissot chrono with black bezel then walking past a Rolex dealer saying hold on, that looks like that ere Submariner thingy that got me started. My brother still has the Tissot, my one lifetime keeper is my 5513.

I think Steinart a very good value. This was my first and I'm very impressed with the quality and feel of the watch.
    This model the Ocean one Military is £300 new.

Blog Entries

+ 1 - & likewise Glycine

Apols for the iphone pic
    Nice case, no cyclops, excellent brushed bracelet (with solid end links), reliable ETA 2824 inside
    About £800 new & about £400 on SC

z

Quote Originally Posted by zelig
    + 1 - & likewise Glycine

Apols for the iphone pic
    Nice case, no cyclops, excellent brushed bracelet (with solid end links), reliable ETA 2824 inside
    About £800 new & about £400 on SC

z
    Nice, but does it come in other colours?

Not an orange fan. :shock:

Quote Originally Posted by scrog10
    I think Steinart a very good value. This was my first and I'm very impressed with the quality and feel of the watch.
    This model the Ocean one Military is £300 new.
    Its very nice, but most people don't know Steinhart from a hole in the ground.

I have a Steinhart and its sister a Debaufre and I agree they're excellent value.

Craftsman

You'd better take a look at the stealth model.
    Not fan of PVD models but this one is very nice...

Quote Originally Posted by birdynamnam

You'd better take a look at the stealth model.
    Not fan of PVD models but this one is very nice...
    Not a PVD fan either, too industrial. :(

I like my jewellery to glitter or at least glint. :mrgreen:

Blog Entries

There are blue/white & blue/cream variants

The new 2 tones look very nice too...

All on Jura
    z

Craftsman

Not a PVD fan either, too industrial. :(

I share your opinion about PVD.
    But this picture caught on Glycine web site changed my mind...

:drunken:

I had one of those glycine combats for about a week or two, it was a nice diver and very thin, which for me was a big positive, however the rubber strap it was one smelt very strongly of chemicals and did get the smell on the watch. Along with that I found it very wide and very flat and in truth a little too unimpressive for me to decide to keep it, still it is a good value diver, about and beyond the longings though? I would have thought so, and defiantly not beyond some of seikos offerings...

Im learning a lot in this thread. That Longines is stunning.

for me when we are talking quality, engineering and value against price, there is only on winner: SINN
    These watches are fantastic. I have owned all the EZM's and almost all the U's (still got to try the U1000) and still own the UX (extremely comfortable, unscratchable, unbreakable, very accurate, waterresistant to pretty any Depth).
    I am always baffled by their inovations in terms of technology: Diapal, moist control, tegimenting, the Hydro technology!

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

most underated....Gotta be a sub surely :lol:

Blog Entries

I've always thought that the Speedmaster 176.012 (4.5) is a strangely under rated watch:

It's an Omega, it's a Speedmaster, it's got an automatic c1045 movement derivative of the renowned Lemania 5100, you get the day, the date and a great chrono function yet you can still pick them up for as low as £800 in reasonable condition, if you shop around and chose wisely.

That’s nearly half price compared to the equivalent Moon Speedmaster and a tiny fraction of what the 'grail' Speedmaster - that has the same movement, dial etc, but in the lugged case - will set you back...

Not only that, but it's cheaper than equivalent 5100 powered watches from other makers in very similar cases...?

Never understood that, personally. :?:

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by AIDM
    I've always thought that the Speedmaster 176.012 (4.5) is a strangely under rated watch:

It's an Omega, it's a Speedmaster, it's got an automatic c1045 movement derivative of the renowned Lemania 5100, you get the day, the date and a great chrono function yet you can still pick them up for as low as £800 in reasonable condition, if you shop around and chose wisely.

That’s nearly half price compared to the equivalent Moon Speedmaster and a tiny fraction of what the 'grail' Speedmaster - that has the same movement, dial etc, but in the lugged case - will set you back...

Not only that, but it's cheaper than equivalent 5100 powered watches from other makers in very similar cases...?

Never understood that, personally. :?:

Rob
    Hi Rob,

It is a strange one that I too have pondered. It is cheaper than a Sinn 157, PD chrono or Heuer 510.*** Maybe because it's relatively common or the confusion with the Speedy Pro Mk 4 that shares the same case? However, I think it is that some people (not me) simply do not like hooded lugs and tonneau cases. The Speedy Pro Mk II share the same movement as the Moonwatch, but tends to fetch far less, possibly because of the case shape, at least in part.

Blog Entries

Dave,

I agree, it must be the case, although the Sinn etc also have the hooded lugs... I suspect it may also be that people, (not me!) see these 'Mark' Speedmasters as poorer cousins of the Moon Watch and think 'if I'm going to buy a Speedmaster, it'll be a Moon Watch'. They will not appeal to non 'WIS' who, I suppose, will be more likely to buy a modern Speedmaster Auto if that's what they are looking for?

One other possible explanation could be that it's one of those watches that I think looks much, much better in real life and can look dreadful in some photo's. Really, I see some pics of the 4.5 and think it cannot be the same watch, (and I don't mean the case variations!) - especially if it has been badly polished and all the edges have been rounded off.

Cheers,

Rob

Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Quote Originally Posted by AIDM

That looks great :-)

I've been looking more and more at this style of case lately.
    If I could pick one of these up for c. £800 I'd also be a very happy man;-)

Agree with others that Longines and Glycine sport models are among the more underappreciated. In addition to the black model pictured earlier, the Hydroconquest also came in a silver version that was discontinued a year or two ago, although can still be found new among existing dealer stock. Kind of a poor man's Yacht-Master:

(pic googled, so apologies if it belongs to you)

In the Glycine line, personally I like the Lagunare divers over the Combat. Here's one I had, but at 46mm was just a little much (this model has since been downsized to a more wearable 44mm):

Isn't this the point of your thread? If the average schlep on the street thinks a watch / brand is so great (e.g. Longines), how is it "under rated"?

Quote Originally Posted by jason recliner
    Isn't this the point of your thread? If the average schlep on the street thinks a watch / brand is so great (e.g. Longines), how is it "under rated"?
    There's a difference between under rated and what the hell is that. :mrgreen: