closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: In-car camera

In-car camera

Does anyone use one of these for filming what's going on as they're driving? Had someone try to kill me the other day by pulling out in front of me on a dual carriageway, only sheer luck and the fact my car has excellent grip, traction control and ABS stopped me from T-boning the bloody idiots. Any camera recommendations would be great.

Cheers,
    Foxy
    "A man of little significance"

Master

Re: In-car camera

I have seen such cameras but could't figure out what to do with one but now that I saw your post...... :shock:

Master

Eddie has one.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100
    Does anyone use one of these for filming what's going on as they're driving? Had someone try to kill me the other day by pulling out in front of me on a dual carriageway, only sheer luck and the fact my car has excellent grip, traction control and ABS stopped me from T-boning the bloody idiots. Any camera recommendations would be great.

Cheers,
    Foxy
    A lot of DDK member's rave about GoPro ones - some reading here http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewto ... ilit=gopro

Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

I was in a cab the other day and questioned the driver about one fitted to his. He said it was about 30 quid and most of his fellow cabbies were running them as it made traffic incidents they were involved in so much easier to resolve. Sounded like a shrewd investment for the likes of them. Depending on the size of memory card he said it would store 30 mins of footage before overwriting .

Blog Entries

I purchased this recently, stuck in a 32GB card, and works a treat :wink:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160601078737? ... 1439.l2649

Journeyman

My wifes a driving instructor and she has been talking about getting an in car camera like this ... perfect and it looks pretty good quality

I bought the same one Eddie had after reading his post last week. Very impressed with it. I have a spare 16GB card in it and it reckons to offer an hour and 40 odd minutes before starting to over write. Records in 3 minute chunks with each file being 450Mb or so at max resolution.

Thanks for all the answers

I use a BlackVue 400g-HD and it does the job pretty well.
    Also has motion sensing so it can record when the car is stationary to catch vandals etc - but only if there is enough light.
    I uprated the MicroSD card t0 32mb and the storage capacity is around 60mins before it overwrites the footage.
    Also has GPS positioning and speed (this can be turned off if you prefer).

I bought it for exactly the same reasons you experienced. I was nearly killed 3 times in a 1hr journey.

Quote Originally Posted by Maysie
    Also has motion sensing so it can record when the car is stationary to catch vandals etc - but only if there is enough light.
    I uprated the MicroSD card t0 32mb and the storage capacity is around 60mins before it overwrites the footage.

I bought it for exactly the same reasons you experienced. I was nearly killed 3 times in a 1hr journey.
    It looks like this one only works on PCs and I only have Macs...

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100
    Quote Originally Posted by Maysie

It looks like this one only works on PCs and I only have Macs...
    I do use PC only and I think you are right. I bought mine through a Land Rover forum group buy and seem to remember some posts saying that it isnt Mac friendly.

I have had a POV/VIO in my motor for years and it has helped me on occasion.
    There is a review here on the forum.

Master

Good answers guys. I've wanted one for ages but didn't know where to go short of spending many hundreds!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quite good footage that!
    Unfortunately only covers at most 100 of the 360 degrees and the most easily influenced bit.

I understand the argument, but one would need at least four, best six to grab invaders of your space in action.
    If I would be given óne, I´d put it in the rear where it would double as a parking aid.

I have a helmet cam and that shoots what I look at. A smaller one integrated in a pair of glasses for car driving might be usefull ;-)

Craftsman

[/quote]I have a helmet cam and that shoots what I look at. [/quote]
    ... this is what I looked at, then I crashed :D

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scouter
    I have a helmet cam and that shoots what I look at.
    ... this is what I looked at, then I crashed :D
    accident cause solved :-)

Did anyone end up buying the alternative to Eddies? After yet another near miss I've decided I'm going to fit one. I'm also trying to find a system where I can use multiple cameras - one front, one rear. If anyone knows of such a thing I'd appreciate any links!

I have just purchased a RoadHawk DC1 from Dog Cam Sport. They are running a promo so it's down to £159 until midnight tonight. I managed to find a 10% off voucher that brought that down to around £143.

In-car camera

If you've got an iPhone get "black box recorder" for 69p. It records in loops of 4 minutes which are save able at the press of a button.

My brother had it built after some fraudsters reversed into his wife at a junction.

Master
    Has anyone come across a camera which can be adapted from pushbike to motorbike to car ??

I am just wondering because I am thinking of buying and the only option seems to buy two .

Brian

Craftsman
    Google "Techmoan" and read his reviews - itll be a great help to anyone looking to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by notnowkato View Post
    I was in a cab the other day and questioned the driver about one fitted to his. He said it was about 30 quid and most of his fellow cabbies were running them as it made traffic incidents they were involved in so much easier to resolve. Sounded like a shrewd investment for the likes of them. Depending on the size of memory card he said it would store 30 mins of footage before overwriting .
    I'd bet also that if any of those cabbies were involved in an accident that they knew was their fault the camera would suddenly vanish

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    I understand the argument, but one would need at least four, best six to grab invaders of your space in action.)
    Sounds like you need one of these.

Master
    Depends what you want from the camera really but most of the action sports cameras (e.g. GoPro "Hero") are available with mounts that will fit almost anything from bike to car to surf board.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Has anyone come across a camera which can be adapted from pushbike to motorbike to car ??

I am just wondering because I am thinking of buying and the only option seems to buy two .

Brian

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wednesday View Post
    Google "Techmoan" and read his reviews - itll be a great help to anyone looking to buy.

Thanks for this - Good review site - I'll spend hours on this I can see.

Brian

How is Eddies fitted to his car?

Journeyman
    All well abd good to video things happening bit I doubt very much police etc would do anything about if presented with your vid unless you caught something very serious.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I use my phone, I've downloaded the torque app for it which combines the gps and gyroscopes in the phone with the data from the cars obd2 system to give real time and recordable telemetry.

My phone is an Acer liquid metal so not the best camera there are far better on the market, my mates Htc desire had is superb with it.

Here's a vid of my doing the stelvio pass earlier this year on semi slick toyo r1r tyres in the slushy snow. Trust me it looks a lot slower than it did in the drivers seat with the car squirming like crazy under power haha.

http://i467.photobucket.com/albums/r...VIDEO00000.mp4