closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Speeding....a fair cop

Grand Master

Speeding....a fair cop

Just returned from an excellent holiday in Austria (Zell Am See) which unfortunately got off to a shaky start.

Whilst travelling over to Manchester airport at 4:00 am I got caught speeding on the M62 :( . One of those situations where the road's virtually empty, conditions are perfect, you're in a bit of a hurry and driving a fast motor......the devil on your shoulder tempts you to interpret the speed limit somewhat liberally. Got clocked by an unmarked police car at 91mph average speed over the regulation distance( 0.85 miles?) .......fortunately I`d slowed down, becoming suspicious when I saw a car in the mirror catching me up, so it could've been significantly worse

On reflection this was a silly thing to do; regardless of the road safety argument , the chances of spotting an unmarked police car at night-time are between slim and zero. At 54 I`m old enough to know better :(

I didn`t have my licence and was unable to produce documents within 7 days due to the holiday, so the copper couldn`t deal with it by a fixed penalty ticket. Can`t see me getting offered a speed awareness course instead of points :( . After the serious bollocking I got from my missus I could argue I`ve been punished already!

Having had chance to reflect on my misdemeanor whilst on holiday, I'll be driving a bit steadier in future.

Paul

Master
    Right Behind You Laughing ! A proud Yorkshire man too :)

Re: Speeding....a fair cop

Tut tut paul :D

Not the crime of the century now is it fella...

But thanks for the heads up , Now we know you are a criminal we
    know not to deal with you anymore :lol: :wink:

SPEEDY.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958
    so the copper couldn`t deal with it by a fixed penalty ticket.
    What does he do then?

What car was he in? Must have been something nippy if he caught you up doing 91 :D

Was he mean??

Plenty more points left to collect...that'll only be 3 points.

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by GMTMaster
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958
    so the copper couldn`t deal with it by a fixed penalty ticket.
    What does he do then?

What car was he in? Must have been something nippy if he caught you up doing 91 :D

Was he mean??
    Unfortunately it has to go through the magistrate's courts; I have to hope they apply the £60 +3 points penalty and nothing more.

The copper was driving a 5 series BMW. Not sure what model but I`m guessing at the most powerful 3.0 diesel or petrol version. I didn`t quiz him on this or discuss the relative virtues of his Beemer vs my Jag XF......just didn`t seem like the right thing to say :) I was doing around 100 when he spotted me so he must've had to motor a bit to catch me.....I didn`t bother asking what speed he'd been doing!

Was he mean? No, in fact both of them were just the opposite. Very courteous, polite and almost friendly. They'd already decided to do me so I guess there was no point in giving me a major bollocking too.

My advice to anyone crossing the M62 is simple; watch out for silver 5-series Beemers.....or drive at a sensible speed!

Paul

Master

An unmarked traffic car on a near-deserted motorway, at night. And they wonder why they're unpopular :roll:

You were lucky they didn't clock you before you slowed down, I'm sure the wife would have been even more displeased with a driving ban :D

Craftsman

I am always getting caught speeding, I have been on the course and still get caught. I have made a conscious decision never to speed again and its killing me. I have set alarms on various speeds in the car and bought a sat nav that displays the speed for the road and warns of cameras.
    One moment of rashness and the licence will be gone

Quote Originally Posted by RobinMasters
    An unmarked traffic car on a near-deserted motorway, at night. And they wonder why they're unpopular :roll:

You were lucky they didn't clock you before you slowed down, I'm sure the wife would have been even more displeased with a driving ban :D
    So what else are the motorway police supposed to do on a motorway?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I've been driving on UK roads for 11 years and have averaged 3 points every 4 years or so - my licence is clean at the moment (although theoretically due another 3!).

I work in Sales and often feel under pressure to get to appointments, however as time passes I often just call my client and let them know I'll be 10-15 mins late and proceed at a leisurely pace - it's rare that this causes a problem unless my client is quite busy in which instance I make sure I keep my meeting with him brief.

The temptation is always there to put the foot down when running late, I've just tried to discipline myself. Leaving in good time for appointments helps too.

Grand Master

Going to the magistrates won't be fun, they see so many speeders that they tend not to be too lenient in a lot of the cases, so 3 points would be a good day, 4-6 would be my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK

So what else are the motorway police supposed to do on a motorway?
    :lol:

Really?

Master

Don't worry about it, happens to the best of us.

I got clocked at 111mph on the M3. Same deal, early morning on a Sunday, no one around, three lane road, bone dry! Copper issued me with a magistrates summons and let me go on my way. He mentioned that he was motoring to catch me. I got a 6 week ban for something significantly faster than your speed.

Must admit that while I was bang to rights I don't see how 70mph is safe but 80+ is dangerous. I don't see the French crashing left right and centre with their 83mph limit and 90mph threshold for issuing penalties.

The M62 really is a sh!t of a motorway, especially between Bradford and Huddersfield. And joining it too from the M606, damn 'temporary' speed restrictions.

Best of luck anyway pal.

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by howie77
    The M62 really is a sh!t of a motorway, especially between Bradford and Huddersfield. And joining it too from the M606, damn 'temporary' speed restrictions.

Best of luck anyway pal.
    Yep, the 50mph restriction seems to go on forever; I think it's around 15miles. It's no excuse, but subconsciously I started to feel that I was going to be late; all added to the temptation to crack on a bit when the opportunity arose.

Over 37 years of driving I`ve been stopped a few times and always got away with a warning. Can`t grumble at the police for this one, I didn`t give them much scope to use discretion.

I`m tempted to start carrying my driving licence around with me in future, it would've saved me some hassle in this case.

Paul

I hope I am wrong but I reckon you may be in for a shock. I got clocked at 60 in a 50 and my case was sent to the magistrates court. I pleaded guilty but advised that I could not attend court as it was so far away from where I lived. Instead, I wrote a letter stating that I thought I was travelling at the correct speed limit, that there were no visible speed limit signs and that I always take the speed limits seriously. I got the three points and a £360 fine. Fecking burstards.

Best of luck.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977
    Going to the magistrates won't be fun, they see so many speeders that they tend not to be too lenient in a lot of the cases, so 3 points would be a good day, 4-6 would be my guess.
    He can have the case heard in his absence and plead guilty by post. Saves court time and reduces costs. Only worth going if you're going not guilty. You can even submit mitigation if you wish.

clean licence before the incident?

prob 6 pts & £2-300 + costs (as a motorbike owner i speak from experience)

worst case? 4-8 wks ban

plead guilty by post, don't waste money on a brief

don't worry about the 7 day wonder - if you can produce valid docs in court for the time when you were stopped then it's all gravy - besides you have decent mitigation why you couldn't produce with 7 days

cps will probably disregard the non production as the speeding is the more serious charge

(my 1st court appearance for speeding was on the m62 too !!)

Master
    Blog Entries

speaking as someone married to a JP, can I suggest that as the evidence appears incontravertible, you write a nice letter, holding your hands up, be sincere, apologetic, resist the temptation to be smart, cocky or make excuses or blame someeone else, and you may just gte a slap on the wrist.

Should have put your foot down and told us if the BMW or the JAG was quicker ;)
    It's just a matter of time...

Master

Quote Originally Posted by adzman808

worst case? 4-8 wks ban
    No chance of a ban is there? Sub 100 on a motorway is points or do I need to slow down?!

Speed limit plus thirty equals ban

You didn't do that, but you weren't far off

Depends on the magistrate on the day, a clean licence will probably see you ok.. Be polite and sorry

Quote Originally Posted by funkstar
    I don't see the French crashing left right and centre with their 83mph limit and 90mph threshold for issuing penalties.
    You're living dangerously in France. A friend of mine lives near Tours and was fined for doing 51 in a 50.
    "A man of little significance"

OP, did he offer any proof that you were speeding, other than that he was going fast?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100
    Quote Originally Posted by funkstar
    I don't see the French crashing left right and centre with their 83mph limit and 90mph threshold for issuing penalties.
    You're living dangerously in France. A friend of mine lives near Tours and was fined for doing 51 in a 50.
    I meant in the UK. In France I regularly get flashed by cameras often a good 20 or 30mph over the limit but in 5 years haven't received a single ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw
    OP, did he offer any proof that you were speeding, other than that he was going fast?
    VASCAR probably.... plus his good word as a cop

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw
    VASCAR probably.... plus his good word as a cop
    It's the second one that gets me, with Essex magistrates if the nice policemen says you did it, you did it, whatever evidence you have to disprove it.

Speed limit plus thirty equals ban

You didn't do that, but you weren't far off

Depends on the magistrate on the day, a clean licence will probably see you ok.. Be polite and sorry
    Reading the thread, initially I thought he was caught in a 70mph, but there's someone who says that this part of the M62
    is a 50mph zone. Which is it?
    ______

​Jim.

So he'd have to had overtaken them, or they've waited at a junction as he's passed.

Bad observation on both counts. :D

Quote Originally Posted by steptoe
    So he'd have to had overtaken them, or they've waited at a junction as he's passed.

Bad observation on both counts. :D
    when you drive you have (lets say) £10 to spend on visual concentration

it's up to you how you spent it... maybe £4 looking forward, & £2 looking to each side & behind (ie 4 + 2 + 2 + 2)

when we drive fast, we tend to spend our £10 exclusively looking forward & miss things behind & at either side....

the unmarked cars are not a visual deterrent - they're designed to be sneaky... to look normal... to be dithering along in the slow lane ready to pounce

there's various things that you can look out for an unmarked car... extra ariels, extra rear view mirrors... expensive cars with no options (eg steel wheels), no sat-nav on the windscreen

but these things are hard to see at night whilst going quickly

if the OP got his average speed down from 100+ too 90 then that's a happy little contingency right there :)

Master

It's amazing how much more enjoyable the ride is at the speed limit. If you want to speed, do a track day. Set off on time or earlier. If you arrive early you have time for a coffee and a cake. Take it easy. Enjoy life. :wink:
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by tixntox
    It's amazing how much more enjoyable the ride is at the speed limit. If you want to speed, do a track day. Set off on time or earlier. If you arrive early you have time for a coffee and a cake. Take it easy. Enjoy life. :wink:
    Mike
    The coffee at Manchester Airport is a rip off. Cheaper to get a ticket.

Speeding on the motorway is a tricky one. I always make sure at least one car has gone past me and is going faster than I am. If it's late at night then when you come up behind a car or cars slow down and creep up on them. If you're certain they're not police then accelerate away. I've come across an Impreza WRC with no spoiler (!) and various Skoda, Volvos and so on, all unmarked. I don't have to drive for a living and tend to avoid motorways wherever possible, I wonder if I'd have points by now if I did more than the 12,000 miles or so I do a year for pleasure?
    "A man of little significance"

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100
    I've come across an Impreza WRC with no spoiler (!) and various Skoda, Volvos and so on, all unmarked.
    Same goes the other way too, drive a flash / fast car and you'll be followed by every copper in town.

I curently have an Impreza STI with big spoiler lined up for the drive in 2012, I can imagine it will attract all sorts of attention! :(

Getting back to this thread, just be as apologetic as possible. "A momentary lapse in judgement that hasn't and won't happen again."