closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Finest Sports Watch in the World

The Finest Sports Watch in the World

We've all our own opinions and I've got my 5th rollie submariner on the way :mrgreen: but my overall vote goes for the B&R 02 range, here's my carbon chrono. So what's your favourite?

Master

Re: The Finest Sports Watch in the World

one of your 5 subs

Quote Originally Posted by no.3
    one of your 5 subs
    As an investment maybe, for sheer looks maybe not :D

Different for everybody - depends on one's taste.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Banned

Stereotypical answer and I'm no fanboy, but stuff the vintage babble and oversized tat, every watch needs a date, so overcome the hate for the cyclops and strap on the finest sports watch in the world.

Almost the same opinion - the Sea Dweller!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK
    Different for everybody - depends on one's taste.
    Chris that is so true, hence the question?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by melhick
    Quote Originally Posted by no.3
    one of your 5 subs
    As an investment maybe, for sheer looks maybe not :D
    agree with burnsey sub date is the best, maybe a good investment but also the best looking in an understated way

Craftsman

I have no idea what really justifies a sports watch ? What do people define them as?

If it was for it's literal meaning - which I appreciate it's not at all really! I'd have to say RM027 :P :lol: - it's ridiculous but I love it and could wear it whilst engaging in any of the sports I actually do! lol

Would be pretty useless if I was a diver though! ;)

Quote Originally Posted by jbravo
    Almost the same opinion - the Sea Dweller!
    It's my all time favourite watch - but I'd have to say the 16610LV (with a black bezel insert).
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by paulyg
    I have no idea what really justifies a sports watch ? What do people define them as?

If it was for it's literal meaning - which I appreciate it's not at all really! I'd have to say RM027 :P :lol: - it's ridiculous but I love it and could wear it whilst engaging in any of the sports I actually do! lol

Would be pretty useless if I was a diver though! ;)
    Sports watch for me would be an activity watch, whether it be a diving/ pilot/racing piece or whatever your sports activity choice.

I'm sure it's different for most of us!

Surely it's a G-Shock? It's certainly the only watch I wear when I even think about doing sport. Then I realise it's not good for me and put the watch back in the box...
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100
    Surely it's a G-Shock? It's certainly the only watch I wear when I even think about doing sport. Then I realise it's not good for me and put the watch back in the box...
    Possibly the question should also relate to feeling good about wearing the watch, although I have one or two G-shocks aswell :lol:

Obvious, innit...

Quote Originally Posted by melhick
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100
    Possibly the question should also relate to feeling good about wearing the watch, although I have one or two G-shocks aswell :lol:
    Ok, in that case it's the Heuer Autavia 1163. It has a very clear link to motor sport :D

I don't know what the answer is, my Omega 2531 (and for that matter my old 2254) is an excellent all-round watch which I suppose comes under the umbrella term "sports watch". I suspect the SD will win the day though.
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly
    Obvious, innit...

Apparently so :D and with pic's like that, certainly maybe!

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly
    Obvious, innit..
    Yep - missing it's bracelet :)
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

You're all wrong.

It's the Timex Ironman. Circa '86, '87.

Quote Originally Posted by howie77
    You're all wrong.

It's the Timex Ironman. Circa '86, '87.
    Ah yes the Ironman, how did we forget 8)

It's always very difficult to beat the Sub Date in these sort of cases, but to me "finest" implies something a little less commonplace a bit more horologically high-end.

Traditionally, many seem to consider the finest sports watches to be the Nautilus/Royal Oak/Overseas triumvirate, but the truth is that (except perhaps some of the rubber-clad ROO's) these all have too many matt/polished surfaces to take much wear-and-tear. To properly fulfill "sports watch" you need to be confident e.g. taking a watch on holiday and not worrying about swimming and general outdoor use.

To me, the Blancpain Fifity Fathoms fits this bill the best. It has an inhouse 5-day Blancpain movement, the dial and the case have fantastic build quality, it is robust and water-resistant enough to swim and dive in, the bezel is sapphire, and if you get a swirl or minor scratch on the all-polished case, it is easily cleaned up. It's sporty, but dressy. It has WIS credibility, but doesn't scream "steal me". Put an inexpensive Hirsch waterproof strap on it, and you are good to go.

Grand Seiko SBGE001 is the best on technology, quality and looks (IMHO) plus has the best movement. However if the heart chooses then the Rolex 5513 is the iconic daddy. All IMHO of course.

Sports watch? The Richard Mille RM 027 Tourbillon as worn by Rafael Nadal. Before he lost it. Twice.

Only weighs 20gm sans strap.

One of these.

They takes turns to be the favourite but I think the Sub maybe edges it.

Cheers,
    Neil.

Finland...next to a lake...somewhere in the forest.

For the me the answer is the Korsbek Ocean Explorer. A no frills, over built, functional piece of 17mm thick stainless steel.

JCL reverso? Flip it around and you're sorted (unless you have the dual time model!)

Quote Originally Posted by robcat
    It's always very difficult to beat the Sub Date in these sort of cases, but to me "finest" implies something a little less commonplace a bit more horologically high-end.

Traditionally, many seem to consider the finest sports watches to be the Nautilus/Royal Oak/Overseas triumvirate, but the truth is that (except perhaps some of the rubber-clad ROO's) these all have too many matt/polished surfaces to take much wear-and-tear. To properly fulfill "sports watch" you need to be confident e.g. taking a watch on holiday and not worrying about swimming and general outdoor use.

To me, the Blancpain Fifity Fathoms fits this bill the best. It has an inhouse 5-day Blancpain movement, the dial and the case have fantastic build quality, it is robust and water-resistant enough to swim and dive in, the bezel is sapphire, and if you get a swirl or minor scratch on the all-polished case, it is easily cleaned up. It's sporty, but dressy. It has WIS credibility, but doesn't scream "steal me". Put an inexpensive Hirsch waterproof strap on it, and you are good to go.

I'd love to try one of these, they look stunning. Happy with my SD for now, which is just as well as I'd need to do some serious saving :mrgreen:

I have to say "The Finest" or the watch that pop into everyone head 1st time when discussing the iconic sports watch must be Rolex Sub. It is classic and most copied design.
    I used to "not get" Rolex when I was younger and wondered what is all the fuss was about, may be that over-exposure to that particular design and images over the years must have made my brain to accept that look?

Regards,

km9

For a very fine sport's watch for everyday, i think i would be very satisfied with this: IWC Aquatimer 3719

Pic borrowed from AlexPS

It's elegant, classy, can be used for dinner/meeting's, diving, you name it!

Quote Originally Posted by WingTsun
    Nope, this is: 8)

Very nice m8!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nono
    For a very fine sport's watch for everyday, i think i would be very satisfied with this: IWC Aquatimer 3719

Pic borrowed from AlexPS

Can't argue with that, nice to see people thinking outside the 'ubiquitous' box. With double action bezel crown/chrono stop and pushers that can be used underwater what's not to like! :)

Quote Originally Posted by bydandie

Pic borrowed from AlexPS

Can't argue with that, nice to see people thinking outside the 'ubiquitous' box.
    A 7750 is not ubiquitous? :lol:

Pretty much everything else on here has an in house movement so rather more rare in fact.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C
    One of these.

They takes turns to be the favourite but I think the Sub maybe edges it.

I suppose there aren't many sports that you are required to know when the day changes - presumably, you've already turned up on the right day ;)

I used to wear a Rolex for every sport I ever took part in regardless - now I have a G shock and perhaps it is more appropriate - but if you buy your watch to wear and not just for best, and do not have the WIS ideology of a watch for each pastime :) then I'd still got for a sports Rolex of some kind - buy it wear ikt keep it serviced when it needs it and it will do 95%+ of anything a G-Shock will do anyway.
    It's just a matter of time...

Banned

Pic borrowed from AlexPS

Can't argue with that, nice to see people thinking outside the 'ubiquitous' box.
    A 7750 is not ubiquitous? :lol:

Pretty much everything else on here has an in house movement so rather more rare in fact.
    So Rolex watches are rare now? :roll:

How many watches actually try to innovate, and how much mods did IWC make to the 7750 ebauche?

So Rolex watches are rare now? :roll:
    No, but when you compare how many 3135's there are compared to 7750's they are of course much rarer. :P

How many watches actually try to innovate, and how much mods did IWC make to the 7750 ebauche?
    Not the old Bremont argument transposed to IWC? :lol:

I think you will find that the Rolex Sub was probably the most innovative sports watch ever and a design that thousands of wannabe's and copyists have imitated for decades.

That it has evolved into what many see as the sports watch is a tribute to its original innovative design.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

i dont know if its the best, but my hands down favourite is the white exp II (40mm)

It's hard to reply to this kind of question without mentioning Rolex at some point. The Submariner fits the bill nicely, and so does any version of the Explorer.

But I happen to be a chrono guy, and a Lemania 5100 aficionado to boot. And there happens to be a little-known Italian-made watch that manages to tick all the boxes as far as my requirements are concerned: the Lorenz Crono Sub.

Sure, one may say that the style of the watch is derivative. Influences from the Rolex Sub and the Zenith DeLuca are pretty obvious, but the fact remains that this watch ends up being lovely in its own right. And you get the functionality of the Lemania 5100 movement thrown in, so the package is extremely appealing to me.

From my very limited experience I would have to say the SD :mrgreen:

Another vote for the SD although with the way luxury priced sports watches are going it could be argued that they are now to valuable to risk hard use.

Not sure if this fits the bill but....Rolex 1016.

....and how much mods did IWC make to the 7750 ebauche?
    Well, IWC doesn't make any changes to 7750 ebauche. All changes are made by ETA themselves, by IWC's instructions. The ebauche does not come complete in IWC factory, but in parts, so it's then assembled by IWC technician/watchmaker. The only modifications, if we are talking "hardware" are the new mainspring, balance wheel, escapement and balance spring. 7750 ebauche does have some visual modifications like perlage, polishing/brushing bridges, etc..but it's all made by ETA

Banned

....and how much mods did IWC make to the 7750 ebauche?
    Well, IWC doesn't make any changes to 7750 ebauche. All changes are made by ETA themselves, by IWC's instructions. The ebauche does not come complete in IWC factory, but in parts, so it's then assembled by IWC technician/watchmaker. The only modifications, if we are talking "hardware" are the new mainspring, balance wheel, escapement and balance spring. 7750 ebauche does have some visual modifications like perlage, polishing/brushing bridges, etc..but it's all made by ETA
    Since 2007, all ETA-based movements have been modified by ETA in their factory to IWC specs. Prior to that, ebauches were supplied to IWC where they made the modifications.

You mentioned the movement, rather than the watch and not once was Bremont mentioned. I thought that what IWC did to the movement was wide knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by "Neil.C"I think you will find that the Rolex Sub was probably the most [color=#FF0000
    innovative [/color]sports watch ever and a design that thousands of wannabe's and copyists have imitated for decades.

That it has evolved into what many see as the sports watch is a tribute to its original innovative design.
    So you agree that Rolex's are ubiquitous then? Therefore my point stands that it's nice to see people thinking outside the box in a discussion.

In terms of your point, I thought it was the design and not the innovations that people copied though (unless Rolex have licensed the IP for all to use); is it not safe to say that this is due to people wishing to have the look of a rolex?

Since 2007, all ETA-based movements have been modified by ETA in their factory to IWC specs. Prior to that, ebauches were supplied to IWC where they made the modifications.

So the new mainspring, balance wheel, escapement and balance spring are installed by ETA?

You mentioned the movement, rather than the watch and not once was Bremont mentioned. I thought that what IWC did to the movement was wide knowledge?
    Of course because you were inferring that a 7750 engined chrono was in some way less common than a Rolex Sub/SD with an inhouse movement.

The reason I mentioned Bremont was because that was your previous ETA based hobby horse.

I expect we will be hearing all about IWC's now instead? :lol:

I think you will find that the Rolex Sub was probably the most innovative sports watch ever and a design that thousands of wannabe's and copyists have imitated for decades.

So you agree that Rolex's are ubiquitous then? Therefore my point stands that it's nice to see people thinking outside the box in a discussion.
    No I don't.

I said because the original design was so ground breaking that plenty of people have emulated it to a major or lesser extent.

They are not Rolexes though. :P

In fact although we see many of them on a WIS forum they are certainly not "ubiquitous" as you put it in the real world.

In terms of your point, I thought it was the design and not the innovations that people copied though (unless Rolex have licensed the IP for all to use); is it not safe to say that this is due to people wishing to have the look of a rolex?
    Of course, who wouldn't?

And just to show I haven't got a downer on IWC here's my MK XV with its crappy ETA movement. :wink:

Of course IWC used to be a full manufacture back in the glory days when they made their name (and how I prefer them) instead of an installer of modified ETA's like so many others nowadays..

Here's a Ref 2407 from 1966 with a calibre 402.

And a Rare pilots large sub seconds from 1946 with a calibre 88.

I like IWC but I just don't pretend that their modern ETA engined watches are something they are not i.e exclusive.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Banned

The Finest Sports Watch in the World

So the new mainspring, balance wheel, escapement and balance spring are installed by ETA?
    AFAIK, yes.

The finest sports watch was the question? PP Nautilus. 8)
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Tricky question. It really depends where you spent most of your time.
    I have two contenders.

The Breitling Aerospace. Super light weight at 38g 100m WR and multi funtional and about as accurate as you can get with its super quartz.

The other is my latest. The JLC Navy Seals auto. Good looking, great size at 42 x 13. And of course a very fine in house movement and high class build quality with 300m WR and excellent lume. Currently wearing mine on a Breitling Ocean Racer. A very comfortable strap on a very comfortable watch.

Craftsman

Bell and Ross space 2

Quote Originally Posted by s67
    Bell and Ross space 2
    You know, you can call this watch by its real name: Sinn 157. :mrgreen:

It has to be the Sub: