closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Got a hankering for a Seiko MM300

Re: Got a hankering for a Seiko MM300

Just get one of these.
    Same size, height and weight more or less, superb bracelet, excellent time-keeping and usual great Seiko lume.
    Oh, and it's a fraction the price of a MM300.

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66
    ... If I had a bracelet with a fit like the one pictured (one o clock lug), refund would be the first word to enter my mind....

Now I understand most of the critics I read about the MM300. People judge the watch based on photos, rumors, hearsay and myth.
    I have my second MM300 and never understoond the problem with the end links.

Quote Originally Posted by TakesALickin

I understand what you're saying, Burnsey, and what you think you're seeing, but you're mistaking the shadow on a beveled edge for a gap. I think a lot of people see pics of the watch and make that same assumption. You really need to see the watch in person.
    Agree.
    Can I be the myth buster here?

Maybe it a bit clearer now. The inner sides of the lugs are shaped, a bit like the Speedmaster, but in smaller scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic

Leave the looks out of it and the design Q's that you like and then tell me which is better on the MM300 compared to a SMP300;

Bezel
    Crystal
    Case
    Bracelet
    Crown & the crown action
    Dial - finish! Everyone I have seen looks like an apprentice applied the lume to the plots on the MM300
    First of all, I have never handled a SMP300!
    So, only about the MM300:
    Bezel - The glossy finish it has is probably one of the best looking you can get. I'm talking about the look of it, how it changes its appearance by light. Same time it is not practical thanks to the fact it is one piece, no insert as we know.

Crystal - Again, it looks great. Someone said it is a porthole compared to many Swiss ones, which feels flat. Not the crystal only, but the dial feels sitting much deeper. This gives a nice classic diver watch feeling. Again crystal it's not as scratch resistant as sapphire.

Case - I'm sorry but I can't recall any Swiss watch with such a well finished complex surfaces, what the MM300 has. It's a piece of art.

Bracelet - I guess you can get better bracelet on Omegas. (But maybe they can cost almost a second hand MM300)

Crown - If you think the MM300 is a remake, then the crown is correct for the original. Action should be better, no doubt. Have to be careful by using.

Dial finish - very good, lume application doesn't bothers me as long as the lume is as bright as my dashboard in my car when entering a tunnel. Unlike the one piece bezel, this is very practical on a divers watch. (since divers always driving in tunnels :D )

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Routers
    Just get one of these.
    Same size, height and weight more or less, superb bracelet, excellent time-keeping and usual great Seiko lume.
    Oh, and it's a fraction the price of a MM300.

If they made an auto version of this I think I my well have done that.

I am a huge fan of the MM300 and bought one in a very good deal from a good friend on this forum. I would gladly own a MM again.

With that said, I must admit, that I do not quite understand the reasoning for the bracelet-to-lug design.

I have no problem with the fit nor with the design, but it just looks strange at first glance.

Again, I liked the MM very much.

Have you owned both and compared side by side? Yes

Leave the looks out of it and the design Q's that you like and then tell me which is better on the MM300 compared to a SMP300;

Bezel
    Crystal
    Case
    Bracelet
    Crown & the crown action
    Dial - finish! Everyone I have seen looks like an apprentice applied the lume to the plots on the MM300 I prefer the MM300, sorry. Never bonded with the Omegas, amazing as that may seem

Now I do find this funny - because I am a self confessed fan of the MM300 and I think it is a good watch - however, it is not a £2500 and is not sold as one.

The point I am making is that by finishing this watch to the same level as some other more expensive watches - it would be a killer watch - so I am left a little disappointed knowing what could have been - especially when I see what they have in the stable in the finishing department. I'm guessing you've not looked at Chris Moy's photos, linked earlier: http://www.christophergmoy.com/Horol...652224&k=esB2g

I'm guessing you've not looked at Chris Moy's photos
    They are nice pics, I'll give you that - doesn't change the watch though.

The case finish could be better - I like the look, the bezel action is a let down, the crown is a let down. There are so many little things that could be better.

I'll say it one more time, I don't need convincing - I am a fan of the MM300. It could be better & IMHO it should be better.
    It's just a matter of time...

I'll say it one more time, I don't need convincing - I am a fan of the MM300. It could be better & IMHO it should be better.
    Ah, well... horses for courses, as you Brits say.

I thought that was really clear - but obviously not.

So, although I was considering buying another - you have helped remind me how disappointed I'd be with with what could/would be one of my favourite watches, so I'm buying a Pelagos instead. :|

So, although I was considering buying another - you have helped remind me how disappointed I'd be with with what could/would be one of my favourite watches, so I'm buying a Pelagos instead. :|
    Wow! I didn't know I could be that influential. Your loss, of course, but whatever floats your boat. Thank God some appreciative soul won't go wanting because you bought a watch you don't like.

Wow! I didn't know I could be that influential. Your loss, of course, but whatever floats your boat. Thank God some appreciative soul won't go wanting .
    I think you are crazy. How does "I don't need convincing - I am a fan of the MM300" translate into
    "a watch you don't like"?

as you Brits say
    Oh, and I'm Irish ;)

I think you are crazy. How does "I don't need convincing - I am a fan of the MM300" translate into
    "a watch you don't like"?
    I may be crazy - you won't get any argument from my wife, anyway. But it's hard to square "I'm a fan" with all the remarks about the watch's disappointment for you. Regardless, I'm NOT trying to convince you you should like it more than you do (which sounds like less than what I usually associate with fandom). I suspect what's frustrated you is that you haven't convinced me not to like the watch.

Because we risk turning this thread into a typical TZ-UK foofaraw, I'll let you choose which character from the attached pic you want to be, and I'll be the other one. :D

(And I apologize for calling you a Brit. God knows I'd be upset if someone called me a Kentuckian)

I'll let you choose which character from the attached pic you want to be, and I'll be the other one. :D
    :lol:

I'll be the screaming kid then :)

I wouldn't want anyone to dislike the MM300, as it's a good watch. It is in a fairly short list of watches that I would buy again.

I am a fan/owner of lots of watches and I could probably critique most of them for one thing or another. Day to day I find faults with things and fix them - unfortunately I am unable/not skilled to do that with watches, so maybe I am overly harsh.

I'll be the screaming kid then :)
    Perfect. That leaves me to be the ass, and again, my wife would tell you that's just the way it should be. :D

Bracelet of MM300 is as good as any SMP or PO (the old ones with pins, I haven't handled the new models), and functionally kills them - lack of micro-adjustment on the Omegas is a pain in the arse.

You could argue that the Omega crystal is better as it is sapphire, but the domed internal AR coated mineral crystal on the MM300 is so beautiful I wouldn't want to swap mine out.

MM300 crown tube design can be a problem - if you cross thread it, it's an expensive fix.

MM300 bezel is absolutely stunning, one of the most beautiful out there on any watch, looks a million dollars, but it is prone to scratching and it is expensive to replace the one piece unit.

Everything else on the MM300 is better than the SMP, especially the case finishing. I am shocked that anybody would even raise this as an area where the Omega could win. It is not even close, even my PO is shamed by the MM300 in terms of finish.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster
    Buying from that guy can be quite an experience.
    You obviously know more than I do. I used him to get me three watches from Japan since last December: MM300, green dialed Alpinist and my Shogun. It took longer than shipping from the well known Japanse sources, but it was a lot cheaper and you don't have to pay VAT or taxes if you deal with him. Perhaps, if you don't want to share it 'en publique' you can send me a PM. I'm curious!

Menno
    Hi Menno,

I know nothing more than you do, I was just disappointed as he sells stuff supposedly coming from within EU and later explaining it would come from Japan but with a safe (customs free) method. It pisses me off when I am tricked into believing one thing and then being offered a completely different one.

Quote Originally Posted by jason recliner
    Bracelet of MM300 is as good as any SMP or PO (the old ones with pins, I haven't handled the new models), and functionally kills them - lack of micro-adjustment on the Omegas is a pain in the arse.

You could argue that the Omega crystal is better as it is sapphire, but the domed internal AR coated mineral crystal on the MM300 is so beautiful I wouldn't want to swap mine out.

MM300 crown tube design can be a problem - if you cross thread it, it's an expensive fix.

MM300 bezel is absolutely stunning, one of the most beautiful out there on any watch, looks a million dollars, but it is prone to scratching and it is expensive to replace the one piece unit.

Everything else on the MM300 is better than the SMP, especially the case finishing. I am shocked that anybody would even raise this as an area where the Omega could win. It is not even close, even my PO is shamed by the MM300 in terms of finish.
    I think the bracelet is crap (edited to add - I do like the way it looks in pics - but not in my hand) on the MM300 and hate the clasp - makes it the same as a £300-£450 Seiko imho. I am sorry you are shocked, the MM300's case has a nice shape and different angles etc. which I really like - but, again in my honest opinion does not come close to the finish on the SMP300's - couldn't say about the PO as it's been a very long time since I had both MM300 and PO side by side - but again from memory I'd guess the PO's much better.

I like the look of the bezel - just the feel of the thing isn't great imho.

On the whole - I love the look of the MM300 - but the detail lets it down.

I wholly accept that I am comparing a watch at almost twice the price point and I thought I made that clear. I you honestly think that the MM300 is providing the same level of finish as the SMP300's then that it fine, I just reserve my right to whole heartedly disagree - I just have a different view.

My overall take on it is they are similarly priced on the used market and there is most definitely a little competition between the two for used buyers money - I don't think the MM300's would fair so well (price wise) if there were a lot more of them coming up for sale.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus
    Great watch, but used prices are too high imo

MM_1 by Seamus25, on Flickr
    I agree, but given that the MM300 is now $2450 then new prices are higher, then maybe it's fair. That said, what else could you get for approx £2000 inc tax brand new?

Quote Originally Posted by seikomatic
    Easy..there are other better choices.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/ ... spex-1.jpg
    There are others...

Journeyman
    I know is an old thread, but I love the look of the mm300, I might get one of them, just a bit concern that it might feel a bit small after using my quartz tuna for so long. I have a 6.80 inch wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by chinotop74 View Post
    I know is an old thread, but I love the look of the mm300, I might get one of them, just a bit concern that it might feel a bit small after using my quartz tuna for so long. I have a 6.80 inch wrist.
    I'm wearing this one today and my wrist is a similar size to yours. I've had loads of Tunas and this certainly doesn't feel small in comparison, in any way. I just LOVE the MM300

By the way, this photo shows precisely why the uninitiated believe that the end links are so ill-fitting. Look at the bottom lug, and then at the shadow cast by the bevel of the top lug...
    Last edited by learningtofly; 12th September 2013 at 20:53.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I'm wearing this one today and my wrist is a similar size to yours. I've had loads of Tunas and this certainly doesn't feel small in comparison, in any way. I just LOVE the MM300

Bugger...just when I thought MM300s had left my thoughts for good. They are great aren't they?!

Ant

Quote Originally Posted by frp422 View Post
    Bugger...just when I thought MM300s had left my thoughts for good. They are great aren't they?!

Ant
    Yeah, I thought that too, Ant