closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got a hankering for a Seiko MM300

Banned
    Blog Entries

Got a hankering for a Seiko MM300

Please put me off. Non COSC performance ratings, non sapphire crystal, I do no diving at all and an a snob about Swiss watches.

HELP!!

Master

Re: Got a hankering for a Seiko MM300

Just do it you won't regret it. In fact buy one and if you want to flip it let me know and I'll take it. 100% ( providing its at least near mint) :lol:

I think Tony can help you with this. I might be wrong but I think he might have had one...
    "A man of little significance"

Master

Cant put you off Jon, have had 3 of these before i think. Time keeping on all was great, the COSC is Swiss phscyobabble only applicable to their watches, the Hardlex i really liked, each to their own i suppose. It certainly has a heft on the wrist but not ungainly so. The lume was lovely :drunken: the bezel is beautiful. If it has a downside the fit of the bracelet at the lugs can sometimes be a bit "loose".

As for the snob thing, i know what you mean, but sometimes its even nicer to have the inverted snob thing going on in that you know what it is and how good it is and sod the rest :D

I loved the ones i had and hopefully sometime will have another.

The crystal disappears when you look head on, and it appears to be just dial. They are the best bang for the buck in WISdom.

Banned

Jon, it's a nice thing but it's not all that.

Seiko do watches from under a hundred quid, Rolex, Breitling etc don't.

It's not special enough to be ten times the price of a 007 and that is its failing.

Don't buy! It is damn ugly :D

Blog Entries

No don't do it. You'll be better off saving money for a Pelagos...

Menno

Been on my radar for many a year now, we're difficult to obtain in the Uk 5/6 years back was never wanting to get stung for impot tax and the rest, I have around 40 Seikos mosty divers, would love a MM but something always holds me back and I don't just mean the cost, I have a large wrist and prefer large watches I would have to see it in person as other owners in the past have commented that it can look a little small on a large wrist, but overall I think it's a real looker.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by jrpippen
    Please put me off.
    Why? It'll go in minutes on SC if you decide to flip it. You've got nothing to lose!

Quote Originally Posted by WingTsun
    The 8L35 is a un-jewelled Grand Seiko movement. It will run within cosc without problem if it's regulated properly. All mine were deadly accurate.

I believe i have one of your old ones now.

Its blown me away.

I've not seen one of these in SC for months now - seem to remember a real spate of them for sale in the past, otherwise would have bitten...

Love my MM300, but if you want me to put you off, i can find a few things wrong with it (I am a bit pedantic).
    - bigger gap on the end link drives me mad
    - uneven lume
    - bracelet could feel better made for a watch of that price
    - servicing it must be a pain, even though I haven't got to that yet...

But doesn't it look great...

Its only the midrange offering by Seiko. the Rolex comparison is with the Grand Seiko line. These are fairly compared to Tudors.

Just get one :D

Simple and inexpensive to upgrade to sapphire and can be serviced (or just regulated) here in the UK to keep time perfectly. 2 objections overcome :)

Out of my watches the MM is the one that gets the most wrist time, ahead of a GS and Omega PO to name 2. It is ideal for most situations and genuinely offers fantastic value at about a grand.

8) 8)

MM300:
    One of the best built watches i have handled for a while, something about them, i look at it a lot.

I quite like the 'lumpy' lume, the bezel pip is slightly, slightly off centre and the bezel is too eager to move off centre and why a Ti clasp?

Otherwise.. its amazing,you need one to understand.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66
    Jon, it's a nice thing but it's not all that.

Seiko do watches from under a hundred quid, Rolex, Breitling etc don't.

It's not special enough to be ten times the price of a 007 and that is its failing.
    The MM300 was never meant to compete in that market bracket, Steve. This was:

(Fancy pic of GS Diver here)

And if you like the design (which I do) it holds it's own admirably.
    Agree and I am a former owner of both a 300 a 600 and fan of GS.

However, the 300 spends its WIS life getting compared to much more expensive pieces and it just never seems to win. Ask the 'best watch for a grand' question and welcome to the winner. Then the next step (GS) never seems £4k better than the 300.

Repeat the cycle :roll:

Personally the second hand got on my titties. Too big and 'waving' at me all the time, plus it lost time and reminded me constantly how wrong it was...

Same price as a used SMP - but not as good. Face looks better - but finish not up close. Too many little details let it down - an extra 25%-50% in cost and it would be fantastic!
    It's just a matter of time...

Master

Great watch, but used prices are too high imo

MM_1 by Seamus25, on Flickr

Banned

Get the GS, mate
    I'm in a very strange (for me) situation at the moment following our recent burglary.

Collecting anything and then living in fear of them being stolen is not something I'm interested in any longer. Why should we have to put them in banks and the likes, never mind safes?

So, as I had a cheapie on the day my collection was decimated by others (sounds better) I am considering which one and only watch will be my only one whist I take a break from the hobby. The GS is fairly high up the list, but as is the case for others, it wouldn't be at RRP...

Banned
    Blog Entries

I can find new GS divers on Jura, but how would I find a new MM300? Any ideas?

You'll need to get yourself over to Paris.

http://www.seikocenter.fr/collections-e ... ee/SBDX001

(I have no idea why the picture on that page is so poor!)

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Murdoc
    You'll need to get yourself over to Paris.

http://www.seikocenter.fr/collections-e ... ee/SBDX001

(I have no idea why the picture on that page is so poor!)
    Yep, that's the safest option - mine came from there in April but before you all ask I bought it used and don't know the original price.

All of mine, yep all 3 kept time to within a few seconds a day. Not sure why people complain about accuracy when my current one is bob-on to the second after 2 weeks :shock: . And the clasp matches the bracelet, unlike the older grey titanium clasps, and the bracelet end links fit snug. It's a cracking watch, but fights with my 5513 for wrist time and tends to do weekend duty only, and on the rubber.

One of the most often "repeat purchases" on this forum I'd wager :D

Ant

The biggest 'meh' watch out there IMO, not helped by the fact that it's always massively hyped on here so is always onto a loser as expectations are set so high.

Master

A few very nice photos for the undecided :D

http://www.christophergmoy.com/Horol...946551&k=ystSi

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic
    Same price as a used SMP - but not as good. Face looks better - but finish not up close. Too many little details let it down - an extra 25%-50% in cost and it would be fantastic!
    :shock:

I'd take the MM300 over the SMP all day long, personally.
    If it was based on the way the dial looks, I would agree - but the case, crown and finish are all inferior. As I said, if they were built to be sold at the same cost and a little more cost was put into making the MM300 it would be one truly great watch - as it is, it has some great features but a lot to leave it wanting - and in some cases badly wanting.

Got a hankering for a Seiko MM300

Keep in mind that the movement specs are -10/+15sec a day. Don't go thinking you are guaranteed
    any tighter tolerances based on some anecdotes on forums. FWIW, mine is about +12 a day.
    The lumpy lume is hand applied, so for some that is a positive. For others a negative.
    Of late, I've been wearing mine on a vintage isofrane and still(!) marvel at how beautiful the watch is. Its amazing to think that a decade ago, it was selling new for about 1500us.

That being said, given your prior posts on Seikos, I suspect that you will never bond with it :) .

Why on earth would one want to be put off one of the nicest watches out there...

Quote Originally Posted by jbravo
    Its only the midrange offering by Seiko. the Rolex comparison is with the Grand Seiko line. These are fairly compared to Tudors.
    Hmmmm, I do not think Rolex has any technology compared to SD.
    Not sure, I will agree with that one.

I'm in a very strange (for me) situation at the moment following our recent burglary.

Collecting anything and then living in fear of them being stolen is not something I'm interested in any longer. Why should we have to put them in banks and the likes, never mind safes?

So, as I had a cheapie on the day my collection was decimated by others (sounds better) I am considering which one and only watch will be my only one whist I take a break from the hobby. The GS is fairly high up the list, but as is the case for others, it wouldn't be at RRP...
    Come on, you know full well which one to get :D
    Especially, if you are taking a break from all the hype :lol:

Finland...next to a lake...somewhere in the forest.

Never owned one, and a few times came close to snapping up a rare bargain. But I have to say I've really enjoyed reading this tread and the variety of opinion. Real learning
    experience and now I'm leaning towards buying one from the SC. Considering the huge number of new "drone" divers hitting the market the MM300 is looking better and better.

Easy..there are other better choices.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/ ... spex-1.jpg

Love mine, my only gripes are the lumpy lume application but it's nuclear so I forgive it that. And the underside of the end links - the little cut out that gives access to the spring bars. On mine they are pretty roughly done. I agree about the crown thread it's quite fine so a delicate touch is required.

Talk you out of it,,eeeer NO. :D

Oh if you dont like Paris - Amsterdam Seiko centre had one in a couple of months back, as well as a nice range of GS's Anantas etc. Plus you can have a shmoke to relax after :D

I just looked on Seiyas website and the MM300 has been removed and on Chinos it's sold out, Higuchi may have some,.?

Another remorseful seller here. Once I shift a few Rolexes I will pick up another one. I have a Sumo with a MM bezel insert and sapphire, but it's not quite the same.

I'm afraid I can't help you. I've had mine for a few years now, and it remains my favorite of my collection - more so than my 14060M, my Tutima NATO, my Fortis B-42, my PRS14 (listing these to give some perspective re: what I have to compare it against).

As far as Omegas, which the MM300 seems to get compared to a lot, I've owned a Seamaster GMT and a couple of Speedies, and I never bonded with them the way I have with the MM300. It seems to be the perfect size for my 7" wrist. I love the way the end links fit the lugs because they allow just the right amount of play to facilitate easy removal of the bracelet. By contrast, removing the bracelet from the SM GMT almost required that I destroy the watch to get the damned thing off. Tight tolerances are not always preferable.

It photographs well, looks good on a variety of straps, and keeps time, after regulation, to about +1 sec/day. What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by gunslinger
    I just looked on Seiyas website and the MM300 has been removed and on Chinos it's sold out, Higuchi may have some,.?
    It's still there? Ships in 1-2 days.

Love mine & this is the 2nd I've had

Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

I was slightly underwhelmed when I got the chance to play with one a couple of months ago, probably because of all the hype. It's nice but as someone mentioned earlier, so is the -007 and it didn't feel ten times better. Some aspects of it were great but I couldn't see where the money had gone and the bracelet got on my nerves :lol:

Try one for yourself though, you might think it's the mutts nuts 8)

Master

Quote Originally Posted by kungfugerbil
    I was slightly underwhelmed when I got the chance to play with one a couple of months ago, probably because of all the hype. It's nice but as someone mentioned earlier, so is the -007 and it didn't feel ten times better. Some aspects of it were great but I couldn't see where the money had gone and the bracelet got on my nerves :lol:

Try one for yourself though, you might think it's the mutts nuts 8)

I agree it is nice but I was underwhelmed by mine and I sold it and don't miss it and wouldn't get another, but I know I am in a minority :) It is a nice watch but not as good as many make it out to be and for the price there are better watches out there but we are all different, just try it and if you don't get on with it it will sell easily.

replica of a late '60s rolex/omega/blancpain knockoff. For a true Seiko diver, go for a Tuna automatic.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Blog Entries

You should contact eBay seller SoloJapan (only on European eBay sites!) If he doesn'l list one at the moment, just contact him in English! http://www.ebay.es/sch/solojapan/m.html

Menno

If it was based on the way the dial looks, I would agree - but the case, crown and finish are all inferior.
    Er...

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster
    You should contact eBay seller SoloJapan (only on European eBay sites!) If he doesn'l list one at the moment, just contact him in English! http://www.ebay.es/sch/solojapan/m.html

Menno
    Buying from that guy can be quite an experience. I would suggest to rather buy one from the TZ SC or from Higuchi or Seya directly. If you have a friend in Paris, I am almost sure one can be sourced at the Seiko boutique.

Quote Originally Posted by jason recliner

If it was based on the way the dial looks, I would agree - but the case, crown and finish are all inferior.
    Er...
    Agreed. These threads bring out the most nonsensical responses.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TakesALickin

Jeff, talking of daft responses, the one below is on a par with others... If I had a bracelet with a fit like the one pictured (one o clock lug), refund would be the first word to enter my mind.

I love the way the end links fit the lugs because they allow just the right amount of play to facilitate easy removal of the bracelet. By contrast, removing the bracelet from the SM GMT almost required that I destroy the watch to get the damned thing off. Tight tolerances are not always preferable.

Blog Entries

Buying from that guy can be quite an experience.
    You obviously know more than I do. I used him to get me three watches from Japan since last December: MM300, green dialed Alpinist and my Shogun. It took longer than shipping from the well known Japanse sources, but it was a lot cheaper and you don't have to pay VAT or taxes if you deal with him. Perhaps, if you don't want to share it 'en publique' you can send me a PM. I'm curious!

Menno

Jeff, talking of daft responses, the one below is on a par with others... If I had a bracelet with a fit like the one pictured (one o clock lug), refund would be the first word to enter my mind.

I love the way the end links fit the lugs because they allow just the right amount of play to facilitate easy removal of the bracelet. By contrast, removing the bracelet from the SM GMT almost required that I destroy the watch to get the damned thing off. Tight tolerances are not always preferable.

I understand what you're saying, Burnsey, and what you think you're seeing, but you're mistaking the shadow on a beveled edge for a gap. I think a lot of people see pics of the watch and make that same assumption. You really need to see the watch in person.

Banned

I understand what you're saying, Burnsey, and what you think you're seeing, but you're mistaking the shadow on a beveled edge for a gap. I think a lot of people see pics of the watch and make that same assumption. You really need to see the watch in person.
    Fair point. I've had three or four and personally I think the OEM rubber is the puppy on this watch, but I love a Seiko wind up thread :mrgreen:

Have been keeping half an eye out for one for a year or so. It does look great but I'm not sure I'd wear it much with the MM600 in the box. Not that it's in the box at the mo, it's on it's way to Japan to have a service :(

If anyone wants to lend me an MM300 to tide me over that would be great :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by jason recliner

Er...
    Have you owned both and compared side by side?

Leave the looks out of it and the design Q's that you like and then tell me which is better on the MM300 compared to a SMP300;

Bezel
    Crystal
    Case
    Bracelet
    Crown & the crown action
    Dial - finish! Everyone I have seen looks like an apprentice applied the lume to the plots on the MM300

Now I do find this funny - because I am a self confessed fan of the MM300 and I think it is a good watch - however, it is not a £2500 and is not sold as one.

The point I am making is that by finishing this watch to the same level as some other more expensive watches - it would be a killer watch - so I am left a little disappointed knowing what could have been - especially when I see what they have in the stable in the finishing department.