closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Samsung Galaxy S3

Master
    Right Behind You Laughing ! A proud Yorkshire man too :)

Samsung Galaxy S3

I have just ordered a Samsung Galaxy s3 after reading great reviews about them...

I have had a few ipones and thought it was time for a change.

Has anyone got the S3 Yet ??

Any good ??

cheers SPEEDY.

Re: Samsung Galaxy S3

Mate has one - too big for me.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK

Remember chris Size matters :D :lol: :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by SPEEDY
    Not when it's against your ear! :lol:
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master

Journeyman

A friend has one - it's great..super screen, really thin, and you'll get use to the size..wonder how you ever used an iphone..

I've used Android years and wouldn't change, I know a number of people who have gone the iphone - android road and none are looking back..

Let us know what you think when you get it..

WHat colour did you get?

Really? No bigger than my S2 - but the screen is a good bit bigger - that said I prefer the size of the Galaxy not and if it was Quad core I'd be buying one of them instead.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic
    Really? No bigger than my S2 - but the screen is a good bit bigger - that said I prefer the size of the Galaxy not and if it was Quad core I'd be buying one of them instead.
    You mean a Galaxy note? How would you fit one of those in your jeans pocket?
    A girl we were out drinking with a few weeks ago had one, and it did look good-but she had a handbag to store all her oversized crap in!

I picked up an S3 a few weeks ago and really liking it. Thin and light enough to slip in a pocket without taking too much notice of it. The screen is great and the size allows you to make good use of the internet and games etc and I do indeed wonder how I managed to cope with the iPhone small screen :D

Slowly getting used to android and spend most of my time changing the look of the phone as it is so flexible.

Got one last week and apart from being hugely frustrated by its (or my) inability to sync with my computer it's very good. Screen is brilliant; much quicker in everything that the Desire. I don't like the default keyboard but that can be changed.
    I'm not sure its interface is as polished as HTC's Sense UI.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring
    Got one last week and apart from being hugely frustrated by its (or my) inability to sync with my computer it's very good.
    That's the sort of thing that would really annoy me and hasn't happened once in my 5 years of iPhone use.

However, these new large screens are leaving the iPhone for dead IMO... albeit I'm too ingrained in Apple to change now. Just hope Apple fix it with the iPhone 5.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by mab
    Got one last week and apart from being hugely frustrated by its (or my) inability to sync with my computer it's very good.
    That's the sort of thing that would really annoy me and hasn't happened once in my 5 years of iPhone use.

However, these new large screens are leaving the iPhone for dead IMO... albeit I'm too ingrained in Apple to change now. Just hope Apple fix it with the iPhone 5.
    Looks like iPhone 5 will have a 4" screen which although still smaller, the resolution is higher. I've gone the opposite route and gone from a Samsung Galaxy to iPhone 4S and I wouldn't look back. iOS just seems so much more polished and reliable. The ecosystem (iCloud etc.) just works so well. Having the two companies knocking lumps out of each other for features is all good for the consumer though. Bring on MS to make it a three way competition too.

My brother has one and says it's amazing, best phone he's ever had and he changes his phone only slightly less frequently than Mr Crowley.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Blog Entries

Looked at that and the HTC One X to replace my old HTC Desire. Went the One X route in the end as I thought it would be a little more familiar but it was a close call. I absolutely love the One X. Similarly huge screen, quad core like the S3 and therefore ultra-quick on the internet.

Journeyman

I have an original SG S1 which is due for an upgrade ... pondering whether to go the Iphone or S3 route .... no reason not to go S3 as the S1 has been fanatastic for me since i had it ... but sometimes you feel like a change

From what i have seen of the S3 the screen looks absolutely fantastic

Thomas Reid

Quote Originally Posted by chaplad
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic
    A girl we were out drinking with a few weeks ago had one, and it did look good-but she had a handbag to store all her oversized crap in!
    My first (and only) smart phone is a Dell Streak 5, about the same size as a Note. (Although I would rather have the Note.) Mine is in a thick leather case, making the total package relatively big and heavy. It does fit into a billfold pocket of a sports coat, or suit jacket. It even could fit into a trousers back pocket. However, if you want svelte, some other choice is better.

I usually have some sort of bag (e.g., pack or messenger bag) with me, or, at the least, a jacket or coat. If I do, the phone goes in the bag, pack, or jacket pocket. For phone calls, I use a small BT headset, the Nokia BH-217, which comes in a little clip case. When it is in the case, the headset is off or nearly off (a charge would last 3 months). When I get a call, I just get the headset out of its little case, and put it to my ear. After a second or two, I hear the voice in the headset saying "connected". When I am done with the call, I put the headset back into its case, and the call is ended. The consequence is, that I don't have to get the phone out (which would take longer than it takes to connect using the BT headset).

When doing other things, such as reading documents, email, surfing, and dealing with my calendar, having more screen size allowing for a reasonable number of larger characters is very, very useful (especially at my age), and makes up for any inconvenience in carrying it. I don't have to strain to read things. Having more space also makes it much easier to use the swype keyboard.

Indeed, I like the bigger screen so much that I very recently bought a 7" Android tablet just to see if I would like that size for a phone even more. Not so. I didn't think that I would, as I've preferred 5" e-readers to 6" e-readers. So, when it comes to phones, 5" +/- a bit seems about right to me.

So, as in most things, there is a trade-off. If you don't spend much time doing text based things (email, calendar, reading documents, reading informational webpages), the bigger screen probably isn't worth it. For me (especially given that I have older eyes), it is a trade-off between the convenience of having a small phone and the convenience of being able to read things without strain. The latter is more important to me than the former.

Best wishes,
    Bob

I'm getting mine delivered any day now, having just upgraded from a 3 year-old Blackberry. Can't wait to have a play. 8)

My friend showed me some video footage he'd taken on his S3. It was incredible. :shock: Like super HD.

Master

Samsung Galaxy S3

It is also upgrade time for me for my business phone. I have an iPhone 4 ATM and is thinking either the iPhone 4S or the S3.
    Had a quick play at the shops, can't really tell the difference between my 4 and 4S. The S3 is quite amazing at the first glance.
    I'm a big Apple fan so I'm secretly hoping the release date for iPhone 5 will be soon.

Quick question for those going from iOS to Android (or vice versa).... What are your thoughts on "replacing" your fave apps to your new device. Especially the ones you have to pay for again.... :lol:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by gregbuc

Looks like iPhone 5 will have a 4" screen which although still smaller, the resolution is higher. I've gone the opposite route and gone from a Samsung Galaxy to iPhone 4S and I wouldn't look back. iOS just seems so much more polished and reliable. The ecosystem (iCloud etc.) just works so well. Having the two companies knocking lumps out of each other for features is all good for the consumer though. Bring on MS to make it a three way competition too.
    Yes, I've read that two.

In terms of screen area, there is a BIG difference between a 4" and 5" screen... I'm just not sure Apple will have gone far enough increasing to only 4".

Journeyman

Yes, I've read that two.

In terms of screen area, there is a BIG difference between a 4" and 5" screen... I'm just not sure Apple will have gone far enough increasing to only 4".
    Yeh and higher resolution really is not that important when it's only a 4" screen....

Master

I'm nearly as bad with my phone as i am with watches and in the last 3 weeks I've had an iPhone 4, HTC one X, galaxy S3 and an iPhone 4s
    i like the android system i think its much better than apples offering for a few reasons but found the S3 user interface ( touchwiz) looks a bit outdated and i find it a bit clunky to use compared to HTC's sense which i absolutely love the HTC also has a better camera and your able to take video and stills at the same time where on the S3 and the iPhone you have to switch between the 2 which i find can sometimes take long enough for you to miss the perfect picture so loved this feature on the HTC, and although they are both massive compared to the iPhone they are both lighter and actually fit quite well in the pocket, but i have ended up back with apples iPhone and the one and only reason is the battery its the only handset out of all of these that i can get to last me a day

[quote=Chris_in_the_UK]
    Quote Originally Posted by SPEEDY
    Quote Originally Posted by "Chris_in_the_UK":28a4qal6
    Not when it's against your ear! :lol:[/quote:28a4qal6]
    :shock: eww
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master

Got one last week and apart from being hugely frustrated by its (or my) inability to sync with my computer it's very good. Screen is brilliant; much quicker in everything that the Desire. I don't like the default keyboard but that can be changed.
    I'm not sure its interface is as polished as HTC's Sense UI.
    if your having trouble syncing with your PC ( i use mac but I'm sure its available for PC ) then try double twist and if you have an iTunes account this will sync your android phone with iTunes and load all of your music etc as well

or try android file transfer both are available free online

Master

Got it love it , And it beats the iphone hands down imho...

Ok a tad big , But it weighs nothing and fits in the pocket no probs..

Screen is so so clear..

9 out of 10 :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by mattjg01
    Slowly getting used to android and spend most of my time changing the look of the phone as it is so flexible.
    So do I, but on my iPhone, here's my homescreen:

It even has a real-time weather (i.e. clouds, rain etc) animation that scrolls across the middle, you just have to know what to do ;)

Mark

HTC has an app as.standard that does that, including a cute windscreen wiper that clears the virtual rain off in wet weather. The S3 lacks this but the live wallpaper is cool.

Thomas Reid

HTC has an app as.standard that does that, including a cute windscreen wiper that clears the virtual rain off in wet weather. The S3 lacks this but the live wallpaper is cool.
    Ah, a power saving strategy using that live wallpaper. :)

I've been playing with the CPU governor on my Dell Streak. When following the suggestions in the following mention paper (from IBM) it looks like I got a bit better battery use, with little noticeable lag. I have the bottom CPU speed at 245MHz, and the top (a tiny bit overclocked) at 1075MHz. The idea is to get it spending as much time at 245Mhz as possible, while still using it pretty much as I like. So, for me, live wallpaper is out. :)

Reduce Linux power consumption

Best wishes,
    Bob

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sharky

That's not Bristol! 8)

In truth the S3 has better battery life than my Desire and does not need a daily charge.
    I've noticed that running the Desire purely as a PDA, no wifi or 3G, the battery lasted 5 days but did need to be charged daily in normal use.

Absolutely no problem - I've had a Note for a few months now, and have absolutely no problem with keeping it in my pocket. And that's even with an (albeit rather thin) cover on it. I had a Dell Streak before that, and even though it's a bit thicker, I had no real problems carrying it either. And it has made every other phone screen that I have seen look tiny and pointless.

Thomas Reid

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK
    Absolutely no problem - I've had a Note for a few months now, and have absolutely no problem with keeping it in my pocket. And that's even with an (albeit rather thin) cover on it. I had a Dell Streak before that, and even though it's a bit thicker, I had no real problems carrying it either. And it has made every other phone screen that I have seen look tiny and pointless.
    The Note is the one I would like. Can't really afford it, however. So, I'll have to use the Streak for now.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sharky
    Quote Originally Posted by mattjg01
    So do I, but on my iPhone, here's my homescreen:

It even has a real-time weather (i.e. clouds, rain etc) animation that scrolls across the middle, you just have to know what to do ;)

Mark
    Thats cool, so how?

Nugget question!

Does the Galaxy S3 (and HTC One X) have screens as good as Apple's "retina display"?

I'm struggling to grasp this PPI/OLED/AMOLED stuff found via Google :blackeye:

Of the 3, the One X probably has the best screen. The resolution is higher than the iPhone with a slightly lower ppi (I think). The SIII has the same resolution as the One X but uses a pentile Amoled display. That means it has an extra green pixel. Reviews all say the display looks great but has a colour caste.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK
    Well your jeans must have much bigger pockets than mine do!
    I think our Hugo Boss shop is right out of the Galaxy Note special editions. :lol:
    I can very much see the appeal but its the practicality's that I don't think I could deal with.
    My contract is due up at the mo. and I am toying with either HTC One x or G3, (both big imo-about as big as I would go) or Galaxy2(some good deals on that if you are not bothered about the latest hand set) to replace my HTC Desire.

Saw the s3 in tesco yesterday WOW.
    Made my 4s look old school.
    Also hear the iphone5 has a completely different plug to charge and adapt with speaker docs etc so that's going to screw things for a lot of people.
    Something about a 32 pin system going down to a much smaller number pinststem!
    What a con.
    The S3 is very sharp in looks and seemed very easy to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand
    Also hear the iphone5 has a completely different plug to charge and adapt with speaker docs etc so that's going to screw things for a lot of people.
    Something about a 32 pin system going down to a much smaller number pinststem!
    What a con.
    The dock connector has remained unchanged since 2003, that's 9 years which is an eternity in tech. It is a physically big connector and is the limiting factor on the iPhone design now. If you want to see an innovative, thinner design from Apple something has to give, in this case an old connector at the end of its useful design life. How many different connectors have Nokia or Samsung phones had in that time?

Thomas Reid

It just came to me that might be a basic principle of society, or physics at work here. It is a total mass type thingie. Consider the combined mass of a watch, wallet and mobile. It can't be bigger than some value, n. However, it doesn't matter how it is distributed. Big watch, small phone, big wallet. Small watch, big phone, small wallet. Etc.

I have a diminutive wallet (basically a card case), medium watch, but big phone.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee
    Of the 3, the One X probably has the best screen. The resolution is higher than the iPhone with a slightly lower ppi (I think). The SIII has the same resolution as the One X but uses a pentile Amoled display. That means it has an extra green pixel. Reviews all say the display looks great but has a colour caste.
    Cheers Phil, very helpful :)

I imagine in side by side comparisons you might notice a difference but having moved from a Desire to an S3 the display on the latter is brilliant. Literally. I see no colour caste.

Craftsman

Compared the S3 and one x side by side in a shop.
    The "shop" software keeps the brightness of the s3 on full blast, clever !
    I think I will go one x, perhaps :?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scouter
    Compared the S3 and one x side by side in a shop.
    The "shop" software keeps the brightness of the s3 on full blast, clever !
    I think I will go one x, perhaps :?
    I'm glad to say I did. Had it a week now and love it!

From what I can gather all the major phone manufacturers have agreed to use the same charging port from (I think 2013).

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Robxxx7
    I have an original SG S1 which is due for an upgrade ... pondering whether to go the Iphone or S3 route .... no reason not to go S3 as the S1 has been fanatastic for me since i had it ... but sometimes you feel like a change

From what i have seen of the S3 the screen looks absolutely fantastic
    I too have the original Samsung Galaxy S1 and still rate it very highly. One of my colleagues has the S3 so I have had the chance to have a little play with it and it's a very impressive piece kit.

If I had the money I would definitely consider the S3. However for the price I can't help thinking that I would rather have the new ipad and a lesser phone.

Saw the S3 yesterday, seemed more like a small tablet than a phone.
    Given how large and thin it is I would be worried about bending it, especially with it in your back pocket.

I have had blackberries for many years, both work and personal.

I would not touch an iPhone far too gay.

Master

I've just bought an S3 off SC that was an unwanted upgrade.
    Very impressed so far although after 4 years of iphone's Android is taking some getting used to.
    The most impressive thing at the moment is how fast it is at doing everything, most noticable is the speed with which web pages load, doing a speed test I get 20 Meg plus whereas it was around half that on my iphone.

Got mine fired up yesterday and absolutely love it...everything about it so far...and the great thing is , there are so many customisations and playing around with it to do...the possibilities are endless. Forgive my excitement...after three years on a BB where I just used to use the Bloomberg app and the browser would literally take 5 mins to load up a page, it's great to have my first proper smartphone!

I recommend the Samsung case...slimline, fold over satin effect cover and looks neat. About twenty quid on Amazon.

Next time I have to upgrade I shall seriously consider the Samsung (might be S4 by then).

What's the sound quality like compared with an iphone?

The biggest headache I'm going to have is getting used to how the android OS works and also how to sync it with my Mac at home - I mean my music from iTunes and my photos, mainly. Is there a program that is best for synching a Samsung with a Mac?

Quote Originally Posted by Maris
    Very impressed so far although after 4 years of iphone's Android is taking some getting used to.
    The most impressive thing at the moment is how fast it is at doing everything, most noticable is the speed with which web pages load, doing a speed test I get 20 Meg plus whereas it was around half that on my iphone.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shane
    Next time I have to upgrade I shall seriously consider the Samsung (might be S4 by then).

What's the sound quality like compared with an iphone?

The biggest headache I'm going to have is getting used to how the android OS works and also how to sync it with my Mac at home - I mean my music from iTunes and my photos, mainly. Is there a program that is best for synching a Samsung with a Mac?

Quote Originally Posted by Maris
    Doubletwist will sync your entire iTunes collection with a Samsung on a mac and androidfiletransfer will work for anything else I use both on my mac and both are free to as downloads

Thanks, Toastie!