closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Is this dodgy? Please help

Minx

Is this dodgy? Please help

A certain repair man has had my 4 year old Omega Seamaster Chrono for 5 months. I sent it in as it would stop after a few hours, and the crown didnt feel right.

Im not going to go into the repeated delays and chasing up Ive been through with him, but after him giving up repairing it, he says it is now with Omega, but they are having trouble modifying my watch to the current specification, and it will take another 10 weeks.

Does this sound fishy, or is this likely for a 4yo watch?

basically I feel ive been lied to constantly, so im rather suspicious as to what is going on.

Many thanks

cream17

Re: Is this dodgy? Please help

5 Months is a really long time. There is no way that a repair should take this long.

I would have assumed within the first couple of weeks you'd know if it was something that could be repaired or needed to be sent to Omega.

I can't understand why for a watch that isnt that old, it's so hard to repair/source parts. Is it a watch that is still in production/sale?

If it was me, I'd ask for some sort of tracking reference or phone Omega direct to ensure they've received it.

Master

I'd be worried that he has claimed it is now with Omega? What repair centre sends clients watches away?

I would bet it is not with Omega. Maybe I'm a cynic.

Grand Master

sounds dodgy to me, is it with a reputable repairer?
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Based on what you've said that does sound an overly long time. Of course we don't know the details so it's hard to comment fairly.

More to the point anyway, and more also to the extended membership here on that note; does the Omega have a unique serial number, could the OP pursue this independently through Omega's official service channels? They (the OP) do at least know the name of the establishment they took it to so perhaps the statement they've been given could be verified?

Minx

Quote Originally Posted by cream17
    5 Months is a really long time. There is no way that a repair should take this long.

I would have assumed within the first couple of weeks you'd know if it was something that could be repaired or needed to be sent to Omega.

I can't understand why for a watch that isnt that old, it's so hard to repair/source parts. Is it a watch that is still in production/sale?

If it was me, I'd ask for some sort of tracking reference or phone Omega direct to ensure they've received it.
    Heh - that's exactly what i did to test him - and he said it was done via a third party at trade price so there was no reference. hmmm

He said he couldnt source the parts, but would it really take 5 months to get to that stage

The watch is no longer in production, but i'd have thought the innards to be standard. It's very similar to this one
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/omega- ... 07507.html

Well some recommend him, but there have been some damning posts on him

I think you need to confirm with Omega if they have your watch. Stat.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Minx

Roger that, I shall contact them as regards the s/n

Regardless of how it got there, I think it should be on their system if they have it

Is this a watch repairer in Leicester?

I'd also be onto Omega direct to chase exactly what's happening - phone them, don't email or write!

I suspect that your watchmender had a look, was stumped, forgot about it totally until you chased him and is now wondering where he put it for safe keeping!

Minx

Quote Originally Posted by simes
    Is this a watch repairer in Leicester?

I'd also be onto Omega direct to chase exactly what's happening - phone them, don't email or write!

I suspect that your watchmender had a look, was stumped, forgot about it totally until you chased him and is now wondering where he put it for safe keeping!
    No, not Leicester

Do you have an Omega phone number - it's email only on their site

Yes, In fact i think he's forgotten about it many times

Master

It all sounds very unlikely to me, but may just be a cover up for the fact that it lay around for ages with nothing happening. If it's no longer in production I suspect that it may be one of the 7750 based chronos and there would be little excuse for any competent repairer not being able to deal with any problem. All parts should be readily available via Cousins. hope it all works out ok.

On a related note; there have been a few threads raising concerns about various repairers / independant service facilities. While I accept that it would be harsh to destroy anyone's reputation on the basis of a single bad experience I would really appreciate some mechanism of identifying those who have the full support of all members. I know that there have been unspoken misgivings about some repairers who previously seemed to be well regarded and the problem is that a 'Search' for such persons would find the postitive reviews while the, possibly more recent, negative experiences aren't publically connected to the name / company involved.

At the very least, a register of those who, based on experience, have the full confidence of forum members would be very useful. Then, in the event of something going wrong, the operator's name could simply be removed. That way the less deserving would simply be 'damned by omission'.

Have you thought of contacting the Omega Service Centre on Old Bond St to see if they can provide some guidance on tracking your watch?
    http://www.omegawatches.com/customer-se ... store=3552

Quote Originally Posted by Minx

The watch is no longer in production, but i'd have thought the innards to be standard. It's very similar to this one
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/omega- ... 07507.html

Well some recommend him, but there have been some damning posts on him
    From your link:

The heart in question is the totally new and exclusive OMEGA calibre 3303 column-wheel chronograph movement. First used in the new Speedmaster Broad Arrow, it adds a touch of prestige and the very latest in watchmaking technology to the Seamaster Professional Chrono-Diver. It is a certified chronometer movement with a power reserve of 55 hours and a column-wheel mechanism (produced by only a few watch manufacturers due to its complexity), which offers greater precision in the operation of the chronograph functions. The calibre 3303 is also fitted with the OMEGA free sprung-balance, which helps to maintain better stability of the watch's going rate over longer periods of use.
    Perhaps your watchie has been stumped & had to send it off? Perhaps Omega don't supply parts to independents for this movement?
    ______

​Jim.

cream17

Heh - that's exactly what i did to test him - and he said it was done via a third party at trade price so there was no reference. hmmm

He said he couldnt source the parts, but would it really take 5 months to get to that stage

Well some recommend him, but there have been some damning posts on himMinx
    Corporal

So the story changes..... From the watch being sent to Omega to it going via a thirdparty.

I don't wish to worry you, but I think there should always be a tracking reference of some sort, whether it's via the postal system (Royal Mail) to it being tracked at the repairers so they know where it is. Can I ask, did you receive a receipt when you handed over the watch? At this stage I'd contact the Citizens Advice Helpline.

Minx

Quote Originally Posted by cream17

Well some recommend him, but there have been some damning posts on himMinx
    Corporal

So the story changes..... From the watch being sent to Omega to it going via a thirdparty.

I don't wish to worry you, but I think there should always be a tracking reference of some sort, whether it's via the postal system (Royal Mail) to it being tracked at the repairers so they know where it is. Can I ask, did you receive a receipt when you handed over the watch? At this stage I'd contact the Citizens Advice Helpline.
    Yes it's changed repeatedly from he's working on it, to he cant fix it, to he cant get the part, to he can get the part, to his mate has it, to its gone to omega

I must say in all my years it is the worst service i have ever had, in anything.

I'll get the exact calibre tonight from the cards - i cant actually find the exact one on google now, but the link was v close.

Yes i have called Bond St and they disagreed that Omega would have trouble bringing it up to date, but the person i spoke to could have just been sales rather than a clued up engineer

cream17

Minx,

I do hope you get this sorted.

An uneducated guess is that Omega would not have an issue with servicing a discontinued watch that is only 4 years old.

I think if you've got a receipt from the repairer then you are in a good position as you have proof that you handed the watch over.

You need to draw a line and say that you want the watch back.

Link and phone number below for Consumer direct. Give them a call and explain your situation. Hope it helps ! let us know how you get on.

Consumer Direct Helpline Tel 08454 04 05 06

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Dl1/Directo ... /DG_195948

Good Luck

Minx

OK, the watch is a 2594.52.00 and the calibre a 3301

Is this calibre outdated, or is there anything funky about it that Omega would struggle with?

Is this dodgy? Please help

Nothing funky enough that the people who built it would have any problem with fixing it.

It certainly isn't good. Could simply be incompetent rather than something more sinister, but as has been suggested, you need to find out if Omega actually have the watch. Good luck.

If it was me I would smell a rat and ask for the watch to be returned. No way does someone sit on a watch for 5 months and then need to send it away. No way.

Minx

Well well

I sent Omega a concerned email with the s/n last night, and they got back to me within hours, saying they have the watch, and they are working on it, but ETA 8 weeks.

This will ultimately be about 8 months for a repair(!) but Im seeking comfort in the fact that it's with the big guys now, and the price is at trade rather than the full whack quoted on their website.

I was getting deeply suspicious of the goings on over the last 5 months, but he seems to have come through in the end.

Thanks a lot for your prompt help and advice here guys, much appreciated.

Blog Entries

Well well

I sent Omega a concerned email with the s/n last night, and they got back to me within hours, saying they have the watch, and they are working on it, but ETA 8 weeks.

This will ultimately be about 8 months for a repair(!) but Im seeking comfort in the fact that it's with the big guys now, and the price is at trade rather than the full whack quoted on their website.

I was getting deeply suspicious of the goings on over the last 5 months, but he seems to have come through in the end.

I sent my missus' 1927 Rolex to a renowned independent in April 2010. Quickly turned out it needs a new balance shaft. He'd fabricate it himself. Still waiting!

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by BSB
    Well well

I sent my missus' 1927 Rolex to a renowned independent in April 2010. Quickly turned out it needs a new balance shaft. He'd fabricate it himself. Still waiting!
    :twisted: Wasn't George Daniels was it? you might be waiting a long time

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sbadger
    Quote Originally Posted by BSB
    Well well

:twisted: Wasn't George Daniels was it? you might be waiting a long time
    Naughty! No, it wasn't :D