closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LR Defender 90

Banned
    Blog Entries

LR Defender 90

I am going to view a 61 plate 90 XS in Sumatra Black on Tuesday with a view to buying. Eventually it will replace my LR D3, in about 4 months time once we return from the family holiday to France. My intention is to either "Twist" it (http://www.twistedperformance.co.uk/) or to send it to JE Engineering, which is nearer to me, for an engine re-map, intercooler etc (to not less than 180bhp and 450nm) plus a fast road suspension upgrade. The car will be used for a daily drive (not commuting) and general duties including family/dog carrier. Any guys on here with experience of running one of these or have a similar enthusiasm for the old Landie?

Journeyman

Re: LR Defender 90

I would suggest you have a look at http://www.alivetuning.com/ as Gary is very well regarded in the Land Rover community

http://www.youtube.com/user/td5alive

Banned
    Blog Entries

Thanks very much for the pointer. I am very much open to other recommendations. The car I am looking at is a virtually new, unmolested example, upon which I want to put my own stamp.

Master

I'm more familar with older defender's but have heard nothng but good things about JE.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by paulpsz008
    I'm more familar with older defender's but have heard nothng but good things about JE.
    Good feedback. Thanks.

Journeyman

Banned
    Blog Entries

Update. I bought a beautiful 61 plate in black yesterday, for collection next week. A visit to JE Engineering is then on the cards for a remap, new inter cooler and s/s exhaust. I cannot wait. :D

Journeyman

Congrats! I love the Defenders.

I've got a 2002 Disco which I've had for a couple of years now - a happy medium for me with lots of creature comforts but also very capable offroad. Here she is:

Please post a pics of yours at some point.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Nice Jeep. :) For me, I have hankered after a Defender for several years now, having had a series of the more grown up Discos and RRs. JE Engineering have a very close and longstanding affiliation with JLR, so I am confident they will deliver the goods, although like you I have always heard very good feedback on the tunit products.
    S

That is a stunning Jeep mate, I have a Grand Cherokee V8 just short of 400bhp, Absolutely brilliant motors, Would NEVER again consider a land rover product i am afraid just totally impractical in terms of comfort ,reliability, practicality. Fine if you want to buy a hobby and like mending stuff.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fishman307
    That is a stunning Jeep mate, I have a Grand Cherokee V8 just short of 400bhp, Absolutely brilliant motors, Would NEVER again consider a land rover product i am afraid just totally impractical in terms of comfort ,reliability, practicality. Fine if you want to buy a hobby and like mending stuff.
    Seems we shall have to agree to disagree. Having over a number of years savoured so-called premium products from Audi, VW, Porsche, Lotus, BMW, Maserati and various others, my current automotive joy is the venerable Defender.

LR Defender 90

Another vote for the Jeep V8 GC. Mines a duel fuel running on LPG which makes it half reasonable on fuel costs as well.

Twisted are very capable, however i have to ask do you need that performance, if you are simply a city driver, then whats the point,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by number2
    Twisted are very capable, however i have to ask do you need that performance, if you are simply a city driver, then whats the point,
    But it is only 180bhp? To my mind, this brings the Def's performance to no more than normal i.e. luke warm hatch standards, so why wouldn't you?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WingTsun
    Thanks! It's been a labour of love. :D I've built a few of these from the ground up, mostly 1970s CJ5s. This JK has cost me the most, though. Initially costing about £15k I've invested another 12-15k in it to get it where it is now. Most of the parts have been imported from the US, including the bumper which cost about £600 to buy and £610 to ship. :shock: A Teraflex short arm suspension was recently added with Elka shocks all round. The bloody shocks were £500 a piece x 4 :shock: but it now drives like a dream both on and offroad.

I would have bought another Defender in a heartbeat if they'd just been a bit better made but alas, IME the quality lets them down. When I challenged the garage about my 2000 Defender they told me they could not fix the leak to the cab but "the great thing about a Landrover was you could open the doors and let the water out!" OK, I could see the funny side of that comment but it also encouraged me to place the FS ad. :twisted:

Skyman, I'm sure you'll enjoy the Defender but please make sure you don't do one thing: don't put ruddy low profile sports tyres on it. If you do you'll take a very capable 4x4 and make it utterly impotent. And get it muddy sometimes!! :lol:
    Do not worry. No low pros for me. :)

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman
    But it is only 180bhp? To my mind, this brings the Def's performance to no more than normal i.e. luke warm hatch standards, so why wouldn't you?
    What tyres are you putting on her? Got a pic?
    The current OEMs are Continentals I believe, which I shall be leaving on for now. Pics follow once I get her, as the ad on Autotrader has now been removed.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Here she is..

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/largep ... NDER&trade

..only joking. :wink:

As it happens a standard Def has enough low down torque to make standing starts in the city perfectly acceptable, i know, as ive owned 90s and 110s and am a Def fan, Twisted know their stuff, but if you are just a city bod with occassional trips up country dont bother messing with the performance, get some interior enhancements, heated seats should be a must, proper chiller box, leather seats, to see how it should be done look at Mercedes G Wagons,

Banned
    Blog Entries

Guess I am a "city bod", to use your quaint phrase, who appreciates a little on-road performance. The 90 XS has most mod cons (you can stick your chiller box though :wink: ) so I will not miss out there. And as for the thought of a ghastly G-wagen.....please, you are having a laugh, right? :wink:

Banned
    Blog Entries

Guess I am a "city bod", to use your quaint phrase, who appreciates a little on-road performance. The 90 XS has most mod cons (you can stick your chiller box though :wink: ) so I will not miss out there. And as for the thought of a ghastly G-wagen.....please, you are having a laugh, right? :wink:
    OK, so are you trying to give a woman the impression that you're an offroad kind of guy or just impress the secretary? Either way you have to know your tyres, dude..
    :lol:

Jeep every day of the week for me. Nice one, Dunc, shame your taste in cars doesn't extend to watches.

Banned
    Blog Entries

^^^^^typical Jeep-owning, homosexual roughneck behaviour...........

Except he wears a gold Yachtmaster ;)

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly
    Except he wears a gold yachmaster ;)
    Nuff said. I had forgotten about that. :wink:

If you want to make her do what she's supposed to and look very cool at the same time get 5 x BFG Mud Terrains. That's what I have on mine and they rock. A snorkel is a must, too.
    Oh yes yes, and paint it in Camel Trophy colours hahahahha, then youll really look the part!

Great choice - I had a go in a JE sorted version over here and was v impressed.

The Jeep is a no go.
    It's just a matter of time...

I like this one;

Dont know if they still do BF Goodrich Trail TA i put some on a trooper i had a few years ago and could not wear them out! Superb tyres they had done 65000 mls when i got rid of the motor and were still legal, Not too noisy on tarmac and as much grip as i ever needed, But having said that I have the Jeep on pirelli scorpions as once you start running in the Ahem upper speeds i wouldnt really fancy off roady type tyres, I do think there comes a point where speed rating matters. The black landy looks stunning and i cant deny they are a cool motor but never been good for me and i have had a few over the years, I will admit i never considered a Jeep till a few years ago a Cherokee 4.0 fell into my hands and i loved it you just couldnt break it and it never let me down,
    The V8 terrifies most buyers and can be as cheap as chips but what a motor, and to me acceptable at 21Mpg average, I just save up to pass stuff. LOL and it is a second car.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic
    I like this one;
    Yep, that's the ticket.

I really need some new tyres but after buying the ally bash plate I really haven't got the budget for BFG's so was looking at the new Gen Grabber AT's or Cooper STT's both on 235/85 16?
    Hopefully I'll be muddyIng my TD5 90 at the East Anglian Off Road Show 16-17/6/12 @ PE31 6RH. :roll:
    Regards M.

Any ways back on the subject ..... :shock:

Iv'e used twisted performance with an adjustable upgrade with no problems for the 60,000 miles i covered ..... 8)

Banned
    Blog Entries

Update. I bought a beautiful 61 plate in black yesterday, for collection next week. A visit to JE Engineering is then on the cards for a remap, new inter cooler and s/s exhaust. I cannot wait. :D
    Today's the day. Collection in 4 hours and counting. Mildly excited. :D

Banned
    Blog Entries

Try not to be bitchy now.

Banned
    Blog Entries

From a pimped up Jeep owner. :lol:

Banned
    Blog Entries

From a pimped up Jeep owner. :lol:
    Hey, that's an expedition modified JK, mate. And remember..if you want to park in the Mum's spaces you do still need to have a child with you.. :twisted:
    Been on many expeditions have you? The paint work and associated bling look a bit too shiny. :wink:

Banned
    Blog Entries

Is your :twisted: stuck? Perhaps through overuse?
    And t'is a shame the Jeep looks like something the Hoff would cruise around in. :twisted:

Banned
    Blog Entries

To be honest with you mate, I am happy to know bugger all about off-roading if that's what you have to drive around in when you are a subject matter expert. :D

Banned
    Blog Entries

Awesome bit of kit......chuffed to bits. :D

And t'is a shame the Jeep looks like something the Hoff would cruise around in. :twisted:
    :lol:

Banned
    Blog Entries

Pics tomorrow.........have you seen the bloody weather outside! :wink:

Banned
    Blog Entries

And a quick pic (apologies for the BB quality) as promised. I love this car. :D

Pics tomorrow.........have you seen the bloody weather outside! :wink:
    We want (well I want) pics!

Saw a bumper sticker on a 110 last night - "I'd rather push my Land Rover than drive a Jeep".

Just as I was about to post - you've gone and added some! :|

Banned
    Blog Entries

Glad to oblige (and to pre-empt you - just :wink: ). I shall take some better ones.

I really like that - I'd have one but my downsizing is on progress, so no cars, bikes or - lets forge the or, as my willpower isn't strong enough to stay away from watches completely - so a 2 out 1 in principle at worst case scenario will be adopted.

Enjoy - I am quite envious :)

Banned
    Blog Entries

I really like that - I'd have one but my downsizing is on progress, so no cars, bikes or - lets forge the or, as my willpower isn't strong enough to stay away from watches completely - so a 2 out 1 in principle at worst case scenario will be adopted.

Tbh, I am "tailoring" my expenses too having semi-retired quite early, however I was persuaded by the bullet proof residuals on Deffies. This one cost me just over £23,500 cash (at only 6 months old, 6,000 miles, the previous owner being a JLR employee), and I am sure will be worth not far off that for the next 18/24 months - so I can always realise my assets if need be.
    Cheers,
    S

He'd better buy some gloves, then. :lol:

It did look very dirty :)

I had a Freelander Van modded by JE Engineering many moons ago. Big wheels, intercooler, suspension etc. Looked the business. So much so in fact that one day I turned up at the Abingdon Land Rover show and they directed me straight to the concourse. I won 2nd place and the judge said I would have won if it could go off road!

If you're upgrading power etc. don't forget the brakes! :)

Grand Master

Tbh, I am "tailoring" my expenses too having semi-retired quite early, however I was persuaded by the bullet proof residuals on Deffies. This one cost me just over £23,500 cash (at only 6 months old, 6,000 miles, the previous owner being a JLR employee), and I am sure will be worth not far off that for the next 18/24 months - so I can always realise my assets if need be.
    Cheers,
    S

I've had dealings with them and from discussions, they control the second hand pricing as they have the largest stock of second hand motors and release them onto the market if the prices are too high, and reduce the flow if prices fall, it's a good way of keeping the product selling and having a good second hand market.

Sold our Defender 90 County last year in exchange for a Hilux. Miss the Defender. Drove as cool as it looked.

I've had Defenders but got tired with water incessantly leaking into the cab and other things you just shouldn't need to put up with from any car from 1970 onwards. :evil:

I changed to Jeeps years ago and have now run several Wranglers, my current one being a JK with a 2.8 TD engine. I looked at re-mapping and talked to a fair few guys with both Defenders and Jeeps and those most pleased with the results seemed to be those who'd installed a Tunit Box. These are not cheap (about £600) but they effectively re-map the engine correctly using all the correct parameters instead of just tricking the engine to pump in more fuel.

Mine theoretically takes my engine from 177BHP to 203BHP and produces 450NM of torque when used on the power setting. There are nine settings ranging from extreme power to extreme fuel economy.

The install is quick and simple and returning to stock equally so as it's pretty much plug and play.

Take a look here: http://www.tunit.co.uk/

I seem to remember Barbie had the same car in PINK!