closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Anyone watched any really BAD movies recently??

Full English Breakfast - Dave Courtney.

Seriously, seriously, seriously sh*te... so sh*te it's actually watchable... like a car crash..... - I must add the caveat that we may have been under the influence, but honestly, we couldn't turn it off.... it was so awful and cringeworthy it made it hilarious. We ended up quite enjoying it!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by studly View Post
    Not recently but i am going to watch Prometheus and i hear it is pretty bad.
    I thought Prometheus was quite good actually! You may be disappointed if you are a hard core Alien geek but its quite a good stand alone movie, bit like the latest Star Wars films...

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Pino View Post
    I thought Prometheus was quite good actually! You may be disappointed if you are a hard core Alien geek but its quite a good stand alone movie, bit like the latest Star Wars films...
    It was not terrible but it was confusing.. Hope that they do make the upcoming more straight forward.

Yes, Prometheus is somewhat confusing, but I thoroughly enjoyed it also, - saw it at the IMAX near Waterloo station in 3D - superb

Quote Originally Posted by PJdB View Post

Full English Breakfast - Dave Courtney.

Seriously, seriously, seriously sh*te... so sh*te it's actually watchable... like a car crash..... - I must add the caveat that we may have been under the influence, but honestly, we couldn't turn it off.... it was so awful and cringeworthy it made it hilarious. We ended up quite enjoying it!
    Not Courtney!

I'll keep an eye out for it.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Journeyman
    Bad Santa 2 was just.. BAD

Master
    I agree with Bad Santa 2, had such high expectations because the first one was great. This one was just horrible!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Night Train to Lisbon - switched off after about 30 minutes. I'm not familiar with the book but found the film had a "put-on" air of pseudo-intellectualism. The thing, though, that made it unbearable was the treatment of languages; the conceit was that if somebody spoke with a Portuguese accent (the film is in English) they were conversing in Portuguese however Jeremy Irons spent the whole film speaking in his own voice/accent and the film starts with a classics lesson where both Latin and, presumably, Swiss German, were spoken with either an English or some kind of central European (Swiss?) accent. Listening to an actor of the stature of Tom Courtenay sound like the Harry Enfield Stavros character was absolutely farcical and after not very long it felt like watching an episode of Allo Allo. Gorden Kaye was lamentably missing.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesianbriggs View Post
    Suicide Squad. Oh god.

Honestly the first DC / Super Hero film I've ever stopped watching after half an hour, actually the only film I've ever stopped watching after half an hour.

Incomprehensible plot, gratuitous use of Margot Robbie's arse to keep the viewer interested ( not a bad thing usually but not enough to base a movie on) and Jared Leto doing the worst Joker impression I've had the misfortune to witness.

Apparently it gets a bit better, so may try again after a few glasses of Highland Park to relax me....

Fast and Furious 7. Dire. Even Jason Statham couldn't rescue it. I imagine they spent so much money on mayhem and effects there was no budget left over for a script writer, so in each scene they told the actors to trot out any half remembered insult from a Bruce Willis Die Hard film - 'I'm gonna something something so hard you'll be something something'.

Journeyman
    Indianapolis with Nic Cage...pretty bad

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    Fast and Furious 7. Dire. Even Jason Statham couldn't rescue it. I imagine they spent so much money on mayhem and effects there was no budget left over for a script writer, so in each scene they told the actors to trot out any half remembered insult from a Bruce Willis Die Hard film - 'I'm gonna something something so hard you'll be something something'.
    Caveat emptor on several grounds there. Anything that is a sequel greater than 3, aimed at an audience of teenage boys, has "Fast" and Furious" in the title, and (unfortunately these days) has Jason Statham in it, is going to be nothing other than absolutely, diabolically awful IMO.

On Monday we went to a preview screening of Hampstead with Brendan Gleeson and Diane Keaton. A pretty pointless romantic comedy with some admittedly very pretty shots of the eponymous London suburb; it could actually have been made by Visit Britain. What I particularly disliked about it was the fact that they had the cheek to reference the Harry Hallowes story despite the fact that they basically made most of the sh;t up. It's also a bit odd when the principal playing a tramp appears to have more costume changes and a significantly larger wardrobe than the female lead.

Complete tripe and presumably aimed at a naive American audience.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5153236/?ref_=nv_sr_1
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Hallowes

Last night we watched A Couch in New York with William Hurt and Juliette Binoche and turned it off after 25 minutes. Ridiculous stereo-typing of all of the characters and a pretty thin plot. Avoid.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118018/...nm_flmg_act_72

Blog Entries
    Netflix, fill your boots.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Not Courtney!

I'll keep an eye out for it.
    what happened to Mr Courtney? He used to be the run to cockney villain on tv and was all over it like a rash at one point

Valerian. I expected something Fifth Elementy, but it was unmitigated garbage. I say unmitigated, but Cara Delevigne is OK.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    On Monday we went to a preview screening of Hampstead with Brendan Gleeson and Diane Keaton. A pretty pointless romantic comedy with some admittedly very pretty shots of the eponymous London suburb; it could actually have been made by Visit Britain. What I particularly disliked about it was the fact that they had the cheek to reference the Harry Hallowes story despite the fact that they basically made most of the sh;t up. It's also a bit odd when the principal playing a tramp appears to have more costume changes and a significantly larger wardrobe than the female lead.

Complete tripe and presumably aimed at a naive American audience.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5153236/?ref_=nv_sr_1
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Hallowes

Last night we watched A Couch in New York with William Hurt and Juliette Binoche and turned it off after 25 minutes. Ridiculous stereo-typing of all of the characters and a pretty thin plot. Avoid.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118018/...nm_flmg_act_72
    Amazing, despite living not far away and going to school in Highgate in the 80s, I have never heard of Harry Hallowes!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorj View Post
    Valerian. I expected something Fifth Elementy, but it was unmitigated garbage. I say unmitigated, but Cara Delevigne is OK.
    I watched Lucy earlier this week thinking, Luc Besson... must be good. It wasn't, it was average :-( Amazing to think the Fifth Element is 1997! Must have watched it half a dozen times now and it's still excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    I watched Lucy earlier this week thinking, Luc Besson... must be good. It wasn't, it was average :-( Amazing to think the Fifth Element is 1997! Must have watched it half a dozen times now and it's still excellent.
    You're being kind to "Lucy" but I agree about "The Fifth Element".

Watched Ghost In The Shell earlier in the week. It's distinctly average and rather dull.

If you're a fan of the original avoid this at all costs!

Blog Entries
    Wonder Woman. Waste of time

Quote Originally Posted by thefatboy View Post
    Watched Ghost In The Shell earlier in the week. It's distinctly average and rather dull.

If you're a fan of the original avoid this at all costs!
    I've never seen the original, but quite enjoyed the film - Not 'awesome' but interesting - Perhaps a missed opportunity to be a really good film, but not being burdened with the original material, I could enjoy it for what it was.

The wife didn't like it

Quote Originally Posted by earlier
    Fast and Furious 7. Dire. Even Jason Statham couldn't rescue it.
    Mmmm - Sorry, but I've never seen ANYTHING with Statham in that wasn't unmitigated tosh. Add in Fast and Furious (1 was a bit rubbish, downhill ever since!) and I'd refuse to recognise such a film could exist in any alternate universe!

Watched Child 44 recently - I realise we're all supposed to sing the praises of anything with Hardy in these days, but this was a bit of a slog, I'm afraid.

M.
    Last edited by snowman; 11th August 2017 at 14:42.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    ever seen ANYTHING with Statham in that wasn't unmitigated tosh. Add in Fast and Furious (1 was a bit rubbish, downhill ever since!) and I'd refuse to recognise such a film could exist in any alternate universe!
    Crank 2 is one of the finest films ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I've never seen the original, but quite enjoyed the film - Not 'awesome' but interesting - Perhaps a missed opportunity to be a really good film, but not being burdened with the original material, I could enjoy it for what it was.

The wife didn't like it
    I can understand that. It seems the fate of all sequels, remakes, reboots to suffer by comparison to the original. Sometimes it works, though it's rare, but much like covers of great songs it's often the one you hear first that becomes the definitive version to you!

Quote Originally Posted by thefatboy View Post
    I can understand that. It seems the fate of all sequels, remakes, reboots to suffer by comparison to the original. Sometimes it works, though it's rare, but much like covers of great songs it's often the one you hear first that becomes the definitive version to you!
    True.

A bit like James Bond or Dr Who - The one that seems 'right' is the one you grew up with!

https://youtu.be/lmELIRcuuXY?t=8

M.

Journeyman
    Dark Tower - not so much bad but a huge let down. there were supposed to be sequels planned but i cant see them happening now...

Master
    Spectre...............dissappointing, some of it was OK, just not up to spec and the love/seduction scenes where just the worst corny tripe, the film would have been better without them.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paul1974 View Post
    Dark Tower - not so much bad but a huge let down. there were supposed to be sequels planned but i cant see them happening now...
    ISTR it's a series of about 7 thick books so I wondered how they were going to cram all those words into an hour and a half film. From what I remember from the books the first one was excellent and then they gradually got more and more rubbish.

Correction 9 books!!

I seem to have watched a few poor-to-stinkers recently.

Ghost In The Shell - style over substance
    Jack Reacher 2 - pointless
    The Void - cliched
    The Space Between Us - drippy
    Shut In - poor
    Colllateral Beauty - double-drippy
    Tale of Tales - also style over substance

Being a Hardy fan, I sat through the remake of Far From the Madding Crowd last night.
    It was dire. Carey Mulligan is very watchable as always, but the plot - it was as though the director had said "OK, you all know the storyline, we don't have to run through that again"!

Child 44 was not only a slog, it totally ruined a strong story.

Master
    Arrival. After 30 minutes it heralded my departure.

Master
    Life - a load of rubbish... Although the reviews on Amazon were quite positive. Was pretty dull i thought.

Craftsman
    The Dark Tower
    Now i am not a scfi fan but her indoors is a proper nut on it and she rambled on how they had tried to get 8 books into the film and lost a lot of key characters . I dont like Idris Elbow tbh either but have to say he tried valiantly to hold this tosh together...rubbish film

Master
    Snatched with Amy Schumer and Goldie Hawn. Completely unwatchable crap, couldn't even finish watching it. such a shame as Trainwreck was really good and showed promise.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by P ELLIS View Post
    The Dark Tower
    Now i am not a scfi fan but her indoors is a proper nut on it and she rambled on how they had tried to get 8 books into the film and lost a lot of key characters . I dont like Idris Elbow tbh either but have to say he tried valiantly to hold this tosh together...rubbish film
    I take it she doesn't count the pre-quill book The Little Sisters of Eluria then? ;-)

tbh I know what she's saying. Although some of the sections of the 8 books are a bit on the rubbish side I still think it's impossible to squeeze 8 (or 9) quite thick books into a 90minute film and do a good job of it. As such I'll resist seeing the film... well until it comes out on Freeview in perhaps a years time ;-)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    I take it she doesn't count the pre-quill book The Little Sisters of Eluria then? ;-)

tbh I know what she's saying. Although some of the sections of the 8 books are a bit on the rubbish side I still think it's impossible to squeeze 8 (or 9) quite thick books into a 90minute film and do a good job of it. As such I'll resist seeing the film... well until it comes out on Freeview in perhaps a years time ;-)
    dont get clever lol i know nothing ....it was dare a say it tripe . She watches all sorts of guff on the telly and goes loopy for Pratchett and GOT but it floats merrily above my head . She did wonder if they would try and cram it all in and hoped they would not but they did in a fashion

Master
    Exists. A "found footage" affair which looked ok on paper, Blair Witch but looking for Bigfoot instead.
    It. Is. Tripe. You don't even get a full shot of the creature chasing them through the woods, ultra low budget crap.

xXx Return of Xander Cage. First one was a bit of fun, second one was shit.

The Mechanic: Resurrection. First one was a bit of fun, second one was shit.

Hitman: Agent 47. First one was a bit of fun, the "reboot" was shit.

Anyone spotting a pattern?

Quote Originally Posted by P ELLIS View Post
    The Dark Tower
    Utter, utter rubbish from start to finish. I only went because my date wanted to see it cos she was really into the books but, like your partner, she was very disappointed and said it bore very little relation to the novels. Only bonus (apart from getting to spend time with a hot 30 year old Polish lady) was that they ran the new Blade Runner 2049 trailer at the start. Now THAT I am excited about!

Craftsman
    lucky you ....i was forced into going by the wife who paid

Master
    CHiPS

A waste of the light energy hitting my eyeballs.

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    Exists. A "found footage" affair which looked ok on paper, Blair Witch but looking for Bigfoot instead.
    It. Is. Tripe. You don't even get a full shot of the creature chasing them through the woods, ultra low budget crap.
    So basically EXACTLY like the Blair Witch Project.

M

Craftsman
    The human centipede

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    CHiPS

A waste of the light energy hitting my eyeballs.
    This. Very possibly the worst film I have ever seen.

The recent version of Far From The Madding Crowd is very poor. It appears to have been edited by someone who doesn't know the story or any of the characters.
    Last edited by bonzo697; 25th August 2017 at 08:23.