closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 94 of 162 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104144 ... LastLast
Results 4,651 to 4,700 of 8058

Thread: Anyone watched any good movies recently?

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Another vote for Avengers:Infinity War.
    I went to see it with my son today and thought it was excellent....definitely up there with the best of the Marvel films and can't wait for part 2!

Craftsman
    ...And another vote for Avengers: Infinity War from me and my kids. The best film from the stable yet. Great humour but also pulled on the heartstrings too.

Can't wait for the next (and fillers in between)

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Went to see Infinity War with my son (11) and younger daughter (17) - they both loved it. Maybe I'm finally on my way to becoming a fully fledged member of the grumpy old men's club but I thought it was a bit meh.....same old, same old. However I couldn't fault the effects etc. and I did enjoy the humour.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    Went to see Infinity War with my son (11) and younger daughter (17) - they both loved it. Maybe I'm finally on my way to becoming a fully fledged member of the grumpy old men's club but I thought it was a bit meh.....same old, same old. However I couldn't fault the effects etc. and I did enjoy the humour.
    Agreed... Good film but not fantastic

Sent from my Note 8 using the TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Infinity War. I love Thanos... :)

Craftsman
    Den of thieves. Brilliant film. Reminded me of heat.

Craftsman
    Having watched a few dogs these last couple of weeks, I was plenty surprised with
    All The Money In The World, about JP Getty and the kidnapping of his Grandson, really liked it and stayed up way later than normal to watch it till the end.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kocka View Post
    Infinity War. I love Thanos... :)
    One of the best lines was Starlord's regarding Thanos' chin.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Just watched "Chappaquiddick," based on the true story of Senator Ted Kennedy's tragic car crash in 1969 that killed campaign secretary, Mary Jo Kopechne (Kate Mara). The film was EXCELLENT, but I'm not sure how faithful to the truth the movie actually was. I was out of the Marine Corps by then and married, so I remember it very well. There were strong rumors of an affair between the two of them but the film didn't give it any real play. A lot of the rest had to have been embroidered, as I doubt any eye witnesses ever leaked much. I think the essence of the key events are pretty accurate, though.

Last edited by pacifichrono; 2nd May 2018 at 07:00.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by D4RK1 View Post
    Den of thieves. Brilliant film. Reminded me of heat.
    Yes, it definitely took more than a few cues from 'Heat'. I enjoyed it too

Sent from my Note 8 using the TZ-UK mobile app

Just watched 'The Equalizer' again. Fantastic film, one of my faves, can't wait for number 2 due out in September, I just hope they don't over-egg the pudding.

Master
    Wind River. It was very well acted, is based on a true story, and the scenery is stunning. It's much more vivid and frank than many Hollywood films, imho.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_River_(film)

Journeyman
    I love quirky films about people - really small stories. Favourites at the moment are The Castle, the way, way back and lost in translation. Oh, and independence day, obviously.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    I watched Marathon Man again after many years.... “is it safe?”

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    Just watched "Chappaquiddick," based on the true story of Senator Ted Kennedy's tragic car crash in 1969 that killed campaign secretary, Mary Jo Kopechne (Kate Mara). The film was EXCELLENT, but I'm not sure how faithful to the truth the movie actually was. I was out of the Marine Corps by then and married, so I remember it very well. There were strong rumors of an affair between the two of them but the film didn't give it any real play. A lot of the rest had to have been embroidered, as I doubt any eye witnesses ever leaked much. I think the essence of the key events are pretty accurate, though.

Off topic: I was 11 back then and USA-related things intrigued me at the time: the Apollo 11 was heading for the moon and the Chappaquiddick-incident happened during that period (I now know it was a day earlier). We had this huge book with all sorts of maps in our house, but how I tried, I never was able to pinpoint Chappaquiddick - only that is was near Martha's Vineyard. That was easily found. Years later, I had a (teacher) colleague who happened to get married to a wealthy lady. She and her family own(ed) a house on Martha's Vineyard. He took pics (pre-digital era) and showed them to me after the summer holiday, including the bridge where it all had happened, exactly 35 yrs later!

Menno

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Off topic: I was 11 back then and USA-related things intrigued me at the time: the Apollo 11 was heading for the moon and the Chappaquiddick-incident happened during that period (I now know it was a day earlier). We had this huge book with all sorts of maps in our house, but how I tried, I never was able to pinpoint Chappaquiddick - only that is was near Martha's Vineyard. That was easily found. Years later, I had a (teacher) colleague who happened to get married to a wealthy lady. She and her family own(ed) a house on Martha's Vineyard. He took pics (pre-digital era) and showed them to me after the summer holiday, including the bridge where it all had happened, exactly 35 yrs later!

Menno
    Did she offer any insights into the events?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    I watched Marathon Man again after many years.... “is it safe?”

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    Did she offer any insights into the events?
    Not a single one (not even born then). His thesis on the uni (history teacher) was about Operation Breakfast: Nixon’s bombing of Cambodia. So, everything about that era/year his his interest.

Craftsman
    Another vote here for Avengers: Infinity War, excellent super hero movie. If you haven't seen it yet, wait until the very end of the credits....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RajLondon View Post
    Another vote here for Avengers: Infinity War, excellent super hero movie. If you haven't seen it yet, wait until the very end of the credits....
    Big thumbs up from my youngest and his friends (around 15 y/o). Worth watching according to them.

I saw Neil Young’s “Journey Through the Past” ... interesting insight into how those guys were living back then.

Watched Deadpool again with my Son this afternoon, I think it’s a brilliant film and can’t wait for pt2 to come out next week.

Watched 24 Hour Party People for the first time in years - brilliant film (especially if you’ve lived around Manchester), and quite unconventionally structured (with Coogan’s lines to the camera being hilarious).

Love him or loathe him (just don’t ignore him!), Tony Wilson was a one-off, Manchester icon.

Blog Entries
    I watched 'Three Billboards...', again. This time with my wife. What a great film! The Oscars are well-deserved, even when you watch the movie for a second time.

Menno

Master
    Blog Entries
    Watched Braven last night, with all the dross that about now it was not to bad.

Watched ‘Shepherds and Butchers’ starring Steve Coogan as a South African defence lawyer.

His job to defend a young prison officer accused of murder.

A powerful film about capital punishment and South Africa in the 1980s.

Coogan in another serious role (the other being Philomena) was very good.

I watched 'Three Billboards...', again. This time with my wife. What a great film! The Oscars are well-deserved, even when you watch the movie for a second time.

Menno
    Agreed. I watched it again recently and enjoyed it just as much as I did the first time at the cinema. Same with 'You Were Never Really Here'.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcata View Post
    Watched ‘Shepherds and Butchers’ starring Steve Coogan as a South African defence lawyer.

His job to defend a young prison officer accused of murder.

A powerful film about capital punishment and South Africa in the 1980s.

Coogan in another serious role (the other being Philomena) was very good.
    I think I'll be giving this one a go. Have not seen Coogan in anything for half a decade and the film sounds about in live with my tastes! V mixed reviews though it seems.

Watched Black Panther yesterday. Awful, truely awful. A poor re-work of the Lion King (according to my 16 year old son).

Lots of people trying to kill each other with knives and spears whilst trying to decide who was going to be Boss.

Disapointing and rather depressing given all the hype.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    American Wrestler. Really enjoyed this, I am a sucker for these kinds of films and love a good sports/ true story type movie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Watched Black Panther yesterday. Awful, truely awful. A poor re-work of the Lion King (according to my 16 year old son).

Lots of people trying to kill each other with knives and spears whilst trying to decide who was going to be Boss.

Sounds a lot like modern day London.

I assume you read the thread title before posting your thoughts?
    Try this thread instead.

Master
    Autopsy of Jane Doe was really good IMO and really quite scary

Neon Demon. A big fan of Nicholas Winding Refn but his films are not to everyone’s taste.
    It’s visually very stylish and his use of colour is sublime. Not something to be watched on laptop or iPad, it needs to be seen on a good television.
    It’s on Netflix.
    Only God forgives is another one of his along with Drive which is the one everyone knows.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Agreed. I watched it again recently and enjoyed it just as much as I did the first time at the cinema. Same with 'You Were Never Really Here'.
    There are mixed signals about ‘You Were...’ comments like yours and “absolute drivel” on the other side. Must give it a try. Fwiw, IMDB is rather positive (7.0 I think).

I used to enjoy Superhero movies, but have really lost interest largely due to the avalanche of them in recent years. I am completely confused as to "The Marvel Universe", where there seems to be a neverending supply of minor superheroes from their back catalogue, and they appear to be lumped into endless films together in increasingly convoluted plot lines.

I didn't bother with Batman Vs Superman, as the title itself is ridiculous.

Still, I guess you can't argue with the box office...

I still like the original Superman movies and the Micheal Keaton Batmans. The first two of the Dark Knight trilogy were great, and the Toby McGuire Spidermans, but it ends there for me.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    ... where there seems to be a neverending supply of minor superheroes from their back catalogue, and they appear to be lumped into endless films together in increasingly convoluted plot lines.

Looking forward to seeing some of these on the big screen. Who will play Rawhide Kid?

There are mixed signals about ‘You Were...’ comments like yours and “absolute drivel” on the other side. Must give it a try. Fwiw, IMDB is rather positive (7.0 I think).
    My only slight gripe with YWNRH is the execution of some of the cctv footage. Despite that, it is my film of the year thus far. Anyone describing the film as 'absolute drivel' would be best to stick to the usual by-the-nembers multiplex fare. I do love challenging cinema and as that last sentence demonstrates, I am a bit of a film snob.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    Neon Demon. A big fan of Nicholas Winding Refn but his films are not to everyone’s taste.
    It’s visually very stylish and his use of colour is sublime. Not something to be watched on laptop or iPad, it needs to be seen on a good television.
    It’s on Netflix.
    Only God forgives is another one of his along with Drive which is the one everyone knows.
    Drive is in my top 10 films of all time. I don't say that lightly. I've followed Refn's output ever since Pusher and like many Euro directors such as Haneke, Von Trier and Noe, his films can be of variable quality. I really tried to like Only God Forgives but it's charms have so far eluded me. Neon Demon is much better imo and as you say it is a visual feast that deserves to be seen on as large a screen as possible. Refn's box office flop 'Fear X' deserves a watch if you haven't already seen it.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post
    American Wrestler. Really enjoyed this, I am a sucker for these kinds of films and love a good sports/ true story type movie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Watched this last night - terrible title but a great film!

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

I watched "School for Scoundrels" again recently. The cast, acting and photography are marvellous. Terry Thomas' opening scene is a classic.
    F.T.F.A.

Just watched ‘brawl in cell block 99’ with Vince Vaugn - Brutal!
    On NowTV

I was trying to decide whether to post in this thread or the rubbish films thread.......

Rampage-the latest offering from The Rock. It's loosely based on the old video game of the same name,and when I say loosely I mean loosely. In fact looser than the knicker elastic on a lady of ill repute.
    The plot looks like it was knocked together by a couple of blokes in a bar. The acting varies between rubbish and over the top. The whole film is based on explosions and big beasties destroying/eating/beating the crap out of stuff. It's cheesy rubbish.

That said,i quite enjoyed my hour and a half to myself in an empty cinema so I have decided to post it in this thread cause I quite enjoyed it. It has too be said though that I do enjoy a good,crap movie

Plus one of the trailers was for a film called The Meg which is basically about an enormous killer shark terrorising the place and going up against Jason Statham. Yes it's channeling a bit of Jaws,and yes it's going to be a load of rubbish but I bet it's another good,crap movie!

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    I was trying to decide whether to post in this thread or the rubbish films thread.......

Rampage-the latest offering from The Rock. It's loosely based on the old video game of the same name,and when I say loosely I mean loosely. In fact looser than the knicker elastic on a lady of ill repute.
    The plot looks like it was knocked together by a couple of blokes in a bar. The acting varies between rubbish and over the top. The whole film is based on explosions and big beasties destroying/eating/beating the crap out of stuff. It's cheesy rubbish.

That said,i quite enjoyed my hour and a half to myself in an empty cinema so I have decided to post it in this thread cause I quite enjoyed it. It has too be said though that I do enjoy a good,crap movie

Plus one of the trailers was for a film called The Meg which is basically about an enormous killer shark terrorising the place and going up against Jason Statham. Yes it's channeling a bit of Jaws,and yes it's going to be a load of rubbish but I bet it's another good,crap movie!

A bit like junk food really, a guilty pleasure to enjoy amongst the quality fare!
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Just watched ‘brawl in cell block 99’ with Vince Vaugn - Brutal!
    On NowTV
    I really liked it. Low low low budget Grindhouse stuff.

Watched Roxy the other day. Bit of a mix of genres, but I think I give it a tentative thumbs up.

Also - The Killing of a Sacred Deer - WHAT IN THE NAME OF ALL THAT IS HOLY IS THAT ABOUT?

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Drive is in my top 10 films of all time. I don't say that lightly. I've followed Refn's output ever since Pusher and like many Euro directors such as Haneke, Von Trier and Noe, his films can be of variable quality. I really tried to like Only God Forgives but it's charms have so far eluded me. Neon Demon is much better imo and as you say it is a visual feast that deserves to be seen on as large a screen as possible. Refn's box office flop 'Fear X' deserves a watch if you haven't already seen it.
    I really like Valhalla Rising, Only God Forgives, and Neon Demon, but Drive in my opinion is the biggest waste of boring overhyped garbage.

Blog Entries
    John wick just watched the film and what a good film in my eyes wasn't expecting much as I didn't no anything about the film , very slow at the beginning but it made up for it very quickly as the film progresses ,I'm watching John wick 2 tonight

John Wick 3 is due summer 2019.

Watched Red Sparrow last night, really enjoyed it which is a rarity these days for me

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Hostiles was not what I was expecting. It was a grim tale throughout. Not one happy moment. I think it was a good film but a tough watch.