closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 91 of 161 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101141 ... LastLast
Results 4,501 to 4,550 of 8032

Thread: Anyone watched any good movies recently?

'Last Flag Flying' enjoyable drama and Bryan Cranston was excellent - a few good laughs along the way, as well as critical reflection on war and religion

I’m almost ashamed to say, I quite enjoyed the new Baywatch film this afternoon, quite funny in places.
    Cheers..
    Jase

I didn’t like Baywatch. They could do better movie.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    I finally managed to see Darkest Hour and I thought it was very good indeed with fine acting all round.

Journeyman
    Really enjoyed Darkest Hour
    Gary Oldman was superb

I took the boy to see Black Panther yesterday,a film we have both been looking forward to. I think it's fair to say that it didn't live up to its hype as far as we were concerned.
    We both agreed the first half was better than the second half and that the ending became a bit disjointed and,dare I say it for a Marvel film,daft.
    Don't get me wrong,it was an enjoyable couple of hours of nonsense if you like Marvel films and we would still class it as a 'good' film....say 6/10

Journeyman
    10 cloverfield lane

Quote Originally Posted by Carlito149 View Post
    Superb. On Netflix currently.

I saw 'Son Of Saul' last night on Netflix. Harrowing and slightly frustrating in places (I started to get a little bemused by the actions of the lead character). Well worth a watch though. Interesting use of shallow focus and 4:3 aspect ratio to make the experience claustrophobic and personalised.

Master
    Watched God Bless America earlier this week on Netflix, it’s a dark comedy / satire about the self absorbed celebrity culture prevalent in North America, well worth a watch.

Land of Mine. A Danish/German film on Amazon.

A tough, well-made war movie – sometimes shockingly violent – about a little known and very grim moment at the end of the second world war. After the Nazi surrender in 1945, thousands of German PoWs were forced to clear the Danish coastline of the mines that Hitler had ordered be placed there, made to crawl through the sand, gently easing thin metal wands into it to find the evil devices. This terrifying and suicidally dangerous job was technically proscribed for captured enemy combatants under the Geneva Conventions but the Danish authorities thought it was what the Germans deserved.

Personally, unlike most of modern films you simply watch and forget, I found this a thought provoking insight into a moment in history I genuinely knew nothing about.

Cheers,
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy! View Post
    Arrival could have been condensed to 10 minutes and it would still have been 9 minutes more than was needed for the "story".
    LOL. Good point.

My wife and I watched it last night and we both thought it was very slow. The story line was poor. In fact, we thought it was bloody awful.

I saw Murder on the Orient Express on the plane the other day - really enjoyed Kenneth Branagh's performance as Poirot.

Passport to Pimlico again the other night.

Never tire of it.

Master
    Watched Sneakers this evening starring Robert Redford, Ben Kingsley and Dan Aykroyd. Never tire of it as it reminds me of some funny times I had when I was much younger.

Just watched "In Time" very good.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Black panther is as good expected, brilliantly made

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    3BOEM was very good in parts but not excellent as I'd hoped. Can see why some have likened the style to No Country For Old Men.

The Post was watchable too but only ok in my book.

Blog Entries
    Watched Acts of Violence tonight, ok for a brain-out type action movie - Bruce Willis was wasted in his role though.

I went to see Jennifer Lawrence in the new spy thriller, Red Sparrow. It was excellent! And I got to see a lot more of Ms. Lawrence than I expected to see! Very well done, great plot and characters. It's based on the first book of a trilogy by Jason Matthews. I happened to pick up and start reading the third installment before realizing it was the third of three. I put the book away, bought #2, and promptly went out and SAW #1. Very glad I did!

Walking out

[QUOTE=beechcustom;4658505]I watched 'Three Billboards Outide Ebbing, Missouri last night. It is one of the best films I have ever seen at the cinema. I don't say that lightly. Utterly utterly superb.[/QU

Watched it last night, terrific performances all round and much better than "The Shape of Water".

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by classics View Post
    Agreed! Very good film.

Quote Originally Posted by mariod View Post
    Watched Sneakers this evening starring Robert Redford, Ben Kingsley and Dan Aykroyd. Never tire of it as it reminds me of some funny times I had when I was much younger.
    this is a very under-rated film. I'm glad someone else on here likes it. What a cast! one of the last River Phoenix films too.

Robert Redford still appears in good films - excellent in Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Spy Game and The Last Castle (which I loved!).

The Killing of the Sacred Deer - I thought this was brilliant (but can see how it might end up in the rubbish movies thread). It was more accessible than The Lobster or Dogtooth, but still pretty weird. Lanthimos is clearly a couple of sandwiches short of a picnic, but makes really interesting films.

Thor Ragnarok was surprisingly entertaining as well.

Death of Stalin was superb, in true Armando Iannucci style.

(I also watched The Party - which tried to be far too clever for its own good IMO, and ended up like bad Woody Allen).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robcat View Post
    The Killing of the Sacred Deer - I thought this was brilliant (but can see how it might end up in the rubbish movies thread). It was more accessible than The Lobster or Dogtooth, but still pretty weird. Lanthimos is clearly a couple of sandwiches short of a picnic, but makes really interesting films.

Thor Ragnarok was surprisingly entertaining as well.

Death of Stalin was superb, in true Armando Iannucci style.

(I also watched The Party - which tried to be far too clever for its own good IMO, and ended up like bad Woody Allen).
    I watched Thor Ragnarok this afternoon and think this is the best (Thor) film out of the trilogy.

Watched Nymphomaniac Vol 1 last week. It was good but not great, I found some of the dialogue between the two main characters in the 'present' a bit contrived and poorly acted. Still enjoyable but not quite inclined to watch Vol 2 yet.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex View Post
    Watched Nymphomaniac Vol 1 last week. It was good but not great, I found some of the dialogue between the two main characters in the 'present' a bit contrived and poorly acted. Still enjoyable but not quite inclined to watch Vol 2 yet.
    Actually it's better with the sound off and, for me, with finger over fast forward! ;-)

Watched 'Norman' last night.

Quite an enjoyable tale.

Richard Gere was excellent in the title role.

Started watching Wonder Woman, but that was pants, and thought I better turn it off before Mrs GB caught me.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Big View Post
    Watched 'Norman' last night.

Quite an enjoyable tale.

Richard Gere was excellent in the title role.

Started watching Wonder Woman, but that was pants, and thought I better turn it off before Mrs GB caught me.
    Both of your choices were EXCELLENT!

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by classics View Post
    Thumbs up from me

Finally had a chance to see Three Billboards and I can only add to what has already been said .
    It's simply one of the best movies I have ever watched.
    The acting is just amazing. If you asked me who the lead character is, I couldn't say. Sam Rockwell is just too good for words. You hate him, you pity him and you love him.
    It's hilarious, heartbreaking, moving, sad and gobsmackingly good.
    Watch it, its brilliant.

I saw The Greatest Showman today and it wasn’t absolutely incredible.

Master
    Just watched john carpenter's (first ??) film - Dark Star

Parody of 2001 a space odyssey and forteller of star wars movies ...........What a larf............good fun.

B

I just finished watching Once Upon A Time In The West for about the 20th time. I think it's the greatest American Western ever made (thanks Sergio Leone!).

Craftsman
    I watched three billboards last night on the fire stick. It was a cracking film. Both myself and Mrs Motman ALWAYS falls asleep when we are watching anything past 9.00 on the telly. This didn’t finish until 11:00 and we both stayed awake all through it! Best film I’d seen for a long time although the ending was sort of left open.

Watched Thor Ragnarok last night, deffo the best of the three movies and that Korg character deserves a movie of his own, very very funny quips from him...

The foreigner
    Great film

Craftsman
    Watched Darkest Hour last night, wow excellent film, not many films I watch that I wish it had gone on longer, I was engrossed.

Quote Originally Posted by Motman View Post
    I watched three billboards last night on the fire stick. It was a cracking film. Both myself and Mrs Motman ALWAYS falls asleep when we are watching anything past 9.00 on the telly. This didn’t finish until 11:00 and we both stayed awake all through it! Best film I’d seen for a long time although the ending was sort of left open.
    I think that was one of the film's best attributes.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    Finally had a chance to see Three Billboards and I can only add to what has already been said .
    It's simply one of the best movies I have ever watched.
    The acting is just amazing. If you asked me who the lead character is, I couldn't say. Sam Rockwell is just too good for words. You hate him, you pity him and you love him.
    It's hilarious, heartbreaking, moving, sad and gobsmackingly good.
    Watch it, its brilliant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Motman View Post

I enjoyed it, but, didn’t think it was great…. Lead actress was incredible and well worthy of her Oscar…

It was a bit of a limp ending…

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel306 View Post
    Watched Darkest Hour last night, wow excellent film, not many films I watch that I wish it had gone on longer, I was engrossed.
    Enjoyed it, but, not a great film…. Scene on the tube was cringeworthy in the extreme

Best film of seen this year was the shape of water…. Amazing creation! Del Toro is a genius

Mrs Brown in the nuddy was a little disconcerting!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Best film of seen this year was the shape of water…. Amazing creation! Del Toro is a genius

Mrs Brown in the nuddy was a little disconcerting!
    Shame they can only have one best actress Oscar, because Sally Hawkins was superb in this. Any other year and I believe she would have won.

Foggy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
    Shame they can only have one best actress Oscar, because Sally Hawkins was superb in this. Any other year and I believe she would have won.

Foggy
    Agreed…. An exceptional performance, but, I can’t argue with McDormand getting the nod…. Bad timing for her to pull out a stellar performance!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Game Night.....I thought it was quite funny and enjoyed it. The rest of the cinema seemed to as well if the laughter was anything to go by.

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    Game Night.....I thought it was quite funny and enjoyed it. The rest of the cinema seemed to as well if the laughter was anything to go by.
    I was surprised by this one, as based on the trailer, it didn't look great, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Foggy

Master
    Blog Entries
    Deadpool, now on Netflix. Have been waiting for it to appear for a while and I really enjoyed it.
    Just watch the first 13 minutes (basically the opening sequence) and see what you think.

I know it’s been out for a bit, but we just watched Blade Runner 2049.

I have to to say that they were bold in their faith to the original movie, as well as the whole Phillip K Dick “what is/who is real?” recurring themes. They could’ve turned out a generic action movie, but instead they produced a very clever, and beautiful-looking piece of work. Definitely not an accessible, popcorn movie though.

My my wife found it a bit too slow and ponderous, but I thought it was brilliant. (Although they could still have cut 30min from it and it’d still be brilliant imo.

Blog Entries
    Just watched Annihilation on Netflix which is the new Alex Garland movie. Thoroughly enjoyed it and definitely worth a watch.