closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 86 of 162 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896136 ... LastLast
Results 4,251 to 4,300 of 8057

Thread: Anyone watched any good movies recently?

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Ive just tried to book a seat at my local cinema and none are available for today. Looks like this is going to be big hit.

Being as I control my working hours I usually go to the cinema during week days when its quieter, however I am feeling a little impatient to see this one!
    On Thursday afternoon I booked my seat for an 11:50 a.m. Friday showing. The best I could do was a near-center seat in the second row from the front! The theatre had four screens devoted to Blade Runner 2049. I think it will be the biggest grossing film of the year.

Master
    Watched Gold starring Matthew McConaughey and enjoyed it a lot.

Master
    Saw Blade Runner today. Visually one of the best movies I have ever seen and the sound was stunning. All the actors were superb as well. As an experience it was quite something.

I did struggle to connect with the characters and story though and it could have done with being 30 mins shorter just to tighten it up a bit.

Over all amazing piece of film making but sadly fell a bit short for me in terms of a real connection (huge fan of the almost perfect original!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Since I am wearing cast and basically bound to my apartment, I am revisiting some classics

Dead Man - brilliant Neil Young's score
    Chinatown - Polanski's masterpiece, strange to see Nicholson really act, without his manic persona he came to be known for later on

I really enjoyed Blade Runner, Ryan Gosling played a superb part.

I thought that creating a sequal to the original would be close to impossible, but this really is as close as it gets..

Lady Macbeth. Very good, very dark.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Secret scripture was pretty good.

Master
    Just finished Pressure from 2015. It's about four men who get stuck at the bottom of the ocean in a diving bell. I did enjoy it.

Just watched Ghost in the Shell (the Scarlett Johansson one). I hope the paid royalties to Ridley Scott for all the Blade Runner ideas they ripped off.

Another thumbs up for Bladerunner 2049. A visual and sonic treat. I need to revisit it and let a few plot related things settle but my initial reaction is that this is a more accomplished film than the original.

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Secret scripture was pretty good.
    Can you tell me how you saw it? Netflix, DVD or good old-fashioned cinema?
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Another thumbs up for Bladerunner 2049. A visual and sonic treat. I need to revisit it and let a few plot related things settle but my initial reaction is that this is a more accomplished film than the original.
    Wow that's saying something.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Wow that's saying something.
    Indeed and I am someone who is in love with the original (Final Cut). Some film industry friends (actual proper film directors no less) strongly disagree with me. They see 2049 as being "a hollow shell" and an "overproduced commercial".

Well worth a repeat viewing on the big screen in my opinion.

I saw it again at a late night viewing (2D) last night and enjoyed it even more.

Master
    Indeed and I am someone who is in love with the original (Final Cut). Some film industry friends (actual proper film directors no less) strongly disagree with me. They see 2049 as being "a hollow shell" and an "overproduced commercial".
    Overproduced commercial?

That would mean excellent production value and painstaking cinematography.

The original is far from a sentimental tearjerker.

I thought it was at best utterly spellbinding and at worse slightly forced plot wise at times but in the grand scheme of things its one of the best films I’ve seen.

The Battery - Two former baseball players, zombie apocalypse, blah, blah, blah, $6000 budget... weirdly bloody fantastic. A step above its no-budget peers, the no-frills approach only adds to the tension towards the end. A bit derivative in places, but then there's no truly original zombie stuff out there.

Grave Encounters - yet another found-footage supernatural horror but as with The Battery, a mile ahead of the glut of FF crap coming from the indie studios. There was a sequel which didn't quite deliver the same thrills and chills, I wouldn't bother with it but Grave Encounters is worth an hour and a half of horror fans' time.

Did anyone see BR in 3D? Unsure whether to go again after seeing it in 2D..

Master
    Thumbs up for "Unlocked" with Noomi Rapace, Orlando Bloom, John Malkovich and Michael Douglas. A mixture of Jason bourne and Salt or so... i did enjoy it.

Master
    Brawl in cell block 99. Really enjoyed this film, incredible performance by Vince Vaughn (who knew he could act like this!!). Brutally violent and a couple of ropy effects but something quite special in my view!

Watched 'Northern Soul' last night, really enjoyed it. Costumes were spot on for the time. I went to Wigan Pier in 1996, pretty different for the time!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post
    Brawl in cell block 99. Really enjoyed this film, incredible performance by Vince Vaughn (who knew he could act like this!!). Brutally violent and a couple of ropy effects but something quite special in my view!

I knew it was made by Bone Tomahawk writer/director, but still it surprised me how clinical and methodical and violent it was. Well worth the watch, although I would surely not recommend it to everyone.

I saw "Professor Marston and the Wonder Women" on the strength of a four-star review from the San Diego Union-Tribune. It's about the psychology professor who created Wonder Woman in 1941 as a combination of his wife and THEIR lover. I was waiting for some edgie "R" rated action but it was mostly a yawner - - maybe two and one-half stars.

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    I saw "Professor Marston and the Wonder Women" on the strength of a four-star review from the San Diego Union-Tribune. It's about the psychology professor who created Wonder Woman in 1941 as a combination of his wife and THEIR lover. I was waiting for some edgie "R" rated action but it was mostly a yawner - - maybe two and one-half stars.

On the topic of Wondewoman, did you know the character was invented by the same person who invented the lie detector. Very interesting story.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Watched Baby Driver. Excellent tale, great cast, some brilliant tunes and driving.

The opening car chase is one of the best I have seen - it wouldn't surprise me if Ken Block had done the driving.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Watched "Oblivion" with Tom Cruise last night and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    Watched "Oblivion" with Tom Cruise last night and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Eddie
    One of my daughters gave me the DVD. I wasnt expecting much but was pleasantly surprised.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by caye031 View Post
    I knew it was made by Bone Tomahawk writer/director, but still it surprised me how clinical and methodical and violent it was. Well worth the watch, although I would surely not recommend it to everyone.
    I watched Bone Tomahawk last night, what a brutal film, particularly at one point, found it very difficult to watch TBH.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The Sand Pebbles - classic McQueen

Master
    Just finished watching Spacewalker (russian production from 2017). "The film is set in the 60s of the 20th century, during the Cold War and the space race between USSR and the United States. Russians plan to send a man into space. Military pilot Pavel Belyayev and Alexey Leonov are ready to step into the open space. But on the way they face many obstacles and dangers"

Way exceeded my expectations! If you enjoyed "Apollo 13" then give "Spacewalker" a try... different but rather good.

The Exorcist and American Werewolf in London are free on Amazon Prime/Netflix at the mo in the run up to Halloween. Watched them both last night- absolute bliss!

Last year I watched The Exorcist followed by the Kings Speech. I would highly recommend that double bill to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post

Last year I watched The Exorcist followed by the Kings Speech. I would highly recommend that double bill to anyone.
    Good choice. Topical too.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolawinston View Post
    I watched Bone Tomahawk last night, what a brutal film, particularly at one point, found it very difficult to watch TBH.

I've heard the reviews of this one are split right down the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Good choice. Topical too.

You must admit- that was a bloody cool avatar!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolawinston View Post
    I watched it a few weeks back.
    I thought it was dreadful.
    A very average plot but with (too much) gore IMHO.

z

I liked it, and maybe one day he will return.

Master
    My youngest and I watched Jungle last night, we both thought it was very good

If you're forced to watch the My Little Pony movie, don't worry- it's not that bad! Although I was laughing when nobody else was, so maybe misunderstood what it's all about.

It certainly was!

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    My youngest and I watched Jungle last night, we both thought it was very good
    Watched this yesterday and thought it was good, didn’t realise it was based upon a true story until the end which for me made it that much more enjoyable.

Craftsman
    The Death of Stalin thoroughly justifies all the positive reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by stifflersmom View Post
    I've just looked at the trailer - that looks very promising indeed.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by stifflersmom View Post
    Agreed, most amusing.

Foggy

Master
    Watched ' The Party ' with Kristen Scott Thomas ,Spall ,Killian Murphy,the guy played Hitler in Downfall and others,very good.

Craftsman
    Very pleasantly surprised how good Wind River is. Had to look up the director, and it turns out that he wrote Sicario and Hell or High Water as well! It's good to know there is some talent worth paying attention to. So, if you liked those two movies you will love this one.

Went into it completely cold knowing just that it stars Jeremy Renner and Elizabeth Olsen (and thinking that any moment now Hulk will jump out of somewhere). Both turned in excellent low key performances. Wholeheartedly recommendation for this one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fords View Post
    Black sea on sky movies.

Good film in the afternoon.
    Watched Black Sea this afternoon and enjoyed it. Thanks.

I bored you all with Baby Driver praise first time out, I've just watched it again and it stands up to a second viewing with ease. Fantastic escapism.

I watched Baby Driver last week. After all the rave reviews my expectations were possibly a bit high - expecting a Pulp Fiction-type experience. It’s not quite up there with Tarantino’s best, but it’s a great piece of stylised escapism. A bit like Free Fire, which is also quite good, but not classic.

I also watched King Arthur - what a bizarre experience! I’d love to know how that got through the Hollywood system with a $100m budget. In some ways it’s a great action/fantasy, but the geezer-dialogue, flashbacks and other Richieisms seem so out-of-place that it’s almost some kind of camp farce. Probably seemed like a good idea at the time...

Master
    Just watched "what happened to monday" with Noomi Rapace. Quite brutal, yet thrilling. Story seems to be partially inspired by the movie "Matrix" and maybe other science fiction movies, but still interesting and entertaining. I enjoyed it.

Craftsman
    Just got back from Thor Ragnorak - by far the best Thor movie (although that was not really difficult), they finally embraced the campiness and it's clear everyone had a blast filming this, but more importantly, it was really fun for the viewer as well. Guardians Of The Galaxy fun.

Anyway, if you do not like Thor, you might as well go watch some other movies by Taika Waititi, Hunt for the Wilderpeople (almost classic family movie) and What We Do in the Shadows (best vampire movie since, I don't know really, I would put it in Shawn Of The Dead level of goodness)

Quote Originally Posted by caye031 View Post
    Just got back from Thor Ragnorak - by far the best Thor movie (although that was not really difficult), they finally embraced the campiness and it's clear everyone had a blast filming this, but more importantly, it was really fun for the viewer as well. Guardians Of The Galaxy fun.

Anyway, if you do not like Thor, you might as well go watch some other movies by Taika Waititi, Hunt for the Wilderpeople (almost classic family movie) and What We Do in the Shadows (best vampire movie since, I don't know really, I would put it in Shawn Of The Dead level of goodness)
    What We Do in the Shadows is absolutely brilliant. (Particularly Rhys Darby’s “Werewolves, not swearwolves!” cameo). If anyone can turn the usual Marvel drivel into a decent movie, it’s TW.