closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 52 of 162 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,600 of 8055

Thread: Anyone watched any good movies recently?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    It makes you think how Brosnan could have played Bond differently (with a ruthless mean streak) if he had been given the right scripts.
    Couldn't agree more, although I loved goldeneye, that was an excellent film the others were all below that standard

Craftsman
    If you are into 80is, grow up in 80is, and love those movies, cheesy sf once, and bmx once, and Peter Jackson (Bad Taste!), check out Turbo Kid.

Set in 1997, post apocalyptic world where everyone rides bikes because there is no fuel. As it was really filmed in 80is! And synth score!
    They even have Michael Ironside in the cast! With eye patch!

I thoroughly enjoyed it, there is no big comedy moments, but really funny, and main kid is likable which is rare today

Just been sent an email telling me that The Watchmaker's Apprentice is out for pre-order now for release on Monday.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    Just been sent an email telling me that The Watchmaker's Apprentice is out for pre-order now for release on Monday.
    Finally! Been waiting for ages

Quote Originally Posted by caye031 View Post
    If you are into 80is, grow up in 80is, and love those movies, cheesy sf once, and bmx once, and Peter Jackson (Bad Taste!), check out Turbo Kid.

Set in 1997, post apocalyptic world where everyone rides bikes because there is no fuel. As it was really filmed in 80is! And synth score!

I thoroughly enjoyed it, there is no big comedy moments, but really funny, and main kid is likable which is rare today
    Just watching this on your recommendation. Watched the trailer and loved the concept.

Clever. Like it. Especially as I grew up loving this kinda stuff (the 80s films)

Master
    Fi ally got around to watching The Railway Man with Colin Firth and Nicole Kidman, my second grown up true story about WW2, set 30 years + later. Very moving and well made.

That sounds amazing!

The Drop, another Hardy film, really good thriller...
    Cheers..
    Jase

just watched that the other day,, was great fun.

Watched Cool Hand Luke again last night. It really is a cracking film and, for me, has not aged at all.
    Last edited by den77; 20th September 2015 at 06:37. Reason: Spelling

Watched November man on the recommendation from this thread. Enjoyed it, great film!

Gonna try turbo kid next....

Master
    Watched Black Mass today with Jonny Depp putting in what must be an Oscar baiting performance. On a side note I saw this at Studio,movie, grill in Houston and am left wondering why the heck we don't have these. Sit down, order food and drink which they silently bring and top up if necessary and almost no film disruption.

Thomas Reid
    45 Years. Sad making. Develops very slowly. Doesn't hang together as well as it should. Really first rate acting.

Best wishes,
    Bob

I watched 'Everest' at the weekend. Really good, I thought, and if you've read Jon Krakauer's excellent book 'Into Thin Air', it's a pretty faithful adaptation of that. Very moving at the end. I don't want to give away any spoilers if you haven't read the book, or weren't alive in 1996 when it all happened, but just don't get too attached to any of the main actors. All I'm sayin'.

I watched a film on Netflix last night, kind of crap but sort of funny, hard to really tell, it's called Redirected, a Vinny Jones Snatch gangster wannabe replica but not half as good but somehow had me entertained...
    Cheers..
    Jase

Reflections in a golden eye from 1967.

Liz Taylor and Marlon Brando.

True tale of repressed homosexuality with grave consequences on an army base in the 1940's deep south.

Really enjoyed it.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Man from U.N.C.L.E.

An enjoyable Guy Richie romp.

Anyone watched any good movies recently?

Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    I watched 'Everest' at the weekend. Really good, I thought, and if you've read Jon Krakauer's excellent book 'Into Thin Air', it's a pretty faithful adaptation of that.
    +1 to all of this. I really enjoyed it too. I read the book a few years ago and like you , I thought it's a fair adaptation .

*The book is a great read, especially for those who have an interest in climbing/mountaineering.

I'm also looking forward to " A walk in the woods". I thought the book was fantastic, with some real laugh out loud moments and I really hope the movie does it justice.
    Last edited by Mitch Buchannon; 27th September 2015 at 21:42.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Passing time on a long haul I watched " man up" with Simon pegg, seemed ok.

mike

Went to see "Legend" on Saturday night - pretty good. Very cleverly shot. Made me want to watch the Kemp brothers 1990's take on the Krays again.

I think that I'm going to have to check Turbo Kid out, it looks great fun!

I saw Cooties at the weekend which is good fun and I especially recommend it to any teachers or zombie fans. Also Straight Outta Compton the other night which I enjoyed; certainly as a bit of a nostalgia kick.

Last edited by dowsing; 29th September 2015 at 10:48.

Re-watched the three Godfathers again over the weekend. The third one still disappoints, but the first two remain peerless after all these years.

Why can't Hollywood make films for grownups any more?

Master
    I still cannot bring myself to watch Godfather III because I am concerned that it will destroy the quality of the first two films. I think I will always feel this way so have resigned myself to never watching it. My dilemma over the weekend wad which Rocky to watch! My wife likes IV the most but I was brought up watching II thousands of times with my brother. I know Rocky I is a genuinely good film but III was a laugh and had some good folk of the time in it. Decisions decisions...

Quote Originally Posted by Puntsdog View Post
    I still cannot bring myself to watch Godfather III because I am concerned that it will destroy the quality of the first two films. I think I will always feel this way so have resigned myself to never watching it.
    You do need to cross it off your list, sadly. My view is the agony is somewhat redeemed by the masterstroke of casting Raf Vallone as the Pope. And Coppolla's daughter, though wooden as a fence, definitely wants pumping in it.

My dilemma over the weekend wad which Rocky to watch! My wife likes IV the most but I was brought up watching II thousands of times with my brother. I know Rocky I is a genuinely good film but III was a laugh and had some good folk of the time in it. Decisions decisions...
    Rocky IV is one of the most hilariously xenophobic films ever. A guilty pleasure!

Narcos

Not a movie but a series. Narcos. Best I've seen since Breaking Bad! Would highly recommend it. It's about the infamous drug lord Pablo Escobar.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    Re-watched the three Godfathers again over the weekend. The third one still disappoints
    I don't think it's actually a bad film. For me, it's just that Al Pacino completely fails at playing Michael Corleone.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    For me, it's just that Al Pacino completely fails at playing Michael Corleone.
    Gosh. Have you let him know?

Banned
    i saw "Interstella" on sky movies the other night and i have to say it was one of the best films iv seen in a while,
    it has that matthew mcconaughey in it, so i was put off instantly but there was nothing else on so thought what the hell,
    i have to say he was really good in it and that did surprised me, the film was really that good i recommend it if youv not already seen it

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    I went to see The Martian today and,I have to say,I thought it was bloody good. I have read the book and I was worried that the film would be a bit lightweight compared to it. However,the film does a very good job of putting together all the relevant bits whilst dropping bits that would be a bit boring to watch.
    I would also recommend watching it in 3D....I'm not a massive fan of 3D films as I often think it's there just for the sake of it,but The Martian uses it to good effect.

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    I went to see The Martian today and,I have to say,I thought it was bloody good. I have read the book and I was worried that the film would be a bit lightweight compared to it. However,the film does a very good job of putting together all the relevant bits whilst dropping bits that would be a bit boring to watch.
    I would also recommend watching it in 3D....I'm not a massive fan of 3D films as I often think it's there just for the sake of it,but The Martian uses it to good effect.
    Glad to hear it cuts the mustard, I really liked the book

Craftsman
    I got to see Gravity, i think most of the experience would had been in the movie theater and the visuals, because it was not good to see in a smaller screen. It had a few moments, but overall i do not think i liked it.

Craftsman
    The Martian

I enjoyed it a great deal, having read the book, some odd bits and pieces were bit boring, but overall worthy of warm recommendation

Missus found it very amusing and funny, and if she likes sf movie, I know it's great

Thomas Reid
    Macbeth, with Michael Fassbender and Elizabeth Debicki. It was very atmospheric. A pretty good interpretation of the play too. A bit on the dour side, but well worth seeing.

Best wishes,
    Bob

How did it stack up against Orson Welles version, which I'm sure you must have seen? I remember trooping off to the local fleapit to see this when I was 15 or 16 as it was the set Shakespeare for O' Level English Lit' that year.

Master
    The Martian

I enjoyed it a great deal, having read the book, some odd bits and pieces were bit boring, but overall worthy of warm recommendation

Missus found it very amusing and funny, and if she likes sf movie, I know it's great
    We watched it last night. It was brilliant! Also saw Everest last week and that was mostly very good as well. The 3D at the cinema really "made" both of them for me; it really amazes me now.

Thomas Reid
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    How did it stack up against Orson Welles version, which I'm sure you must have seen? I remember trooping off to the local fleapit to see this when I was 15 or 16 as it was the set Shakespeare for O' Level English Lit' that year.
    I have the Orson Welles version, and 3 or 4 others. (About 9 versions of Hamlet.) It has been a while since I've watched the Welles version. The Kurzel version (the one with Fassbender), as you would expect, has higher production value. Although the lighting is interesting in it, the lighting in the Welles is probably more interesting. If I remember correctly, the Welles version is even more compressed. Altogether, I think that I prefer the one I just saw.

A more difficult call is a comparison with Polanski's Macbeth. It and the Kurzel (Fassbender) both make full use of a barren Scottish landscape, whereas the others I have are more stage productions. The acting and interpretation in the stage based productions are generally superior, but they don't have the grand bleakness of the ones using the landscape.

So, if I'm interested in the subtlety of words and interpretation, I watch one of the stage based ones (e.g., Trevor Nunn's with Ian McKellen and Judi Dench). If I want a good story with good production values, it was the Polanski. This version falls into the latter category.

I'm looking forward to seeing Kenneth Branagh's Macbeth (National Theatre) when I can.

Best wishes,
    Bob

PS Lady Macbeth was Marion Cotillard, not Elizabeth Debicki.
    RLF
    Last edited by rfrazier; 4th October 2015 at 16:13.

Watched "The Interview" on Sky last night, was interested after all the hype when it came out - really enjoyed it. Some really funny bits in it and a few silly bits too - well worth a watch.

To my slight embarrassment, I'd never seen 12 Angry Men (1957) prior to this weekend, despite being a huge Sidney Lumet fan. Although it's clear where it's headed from the beginning, the acting is superb, and it grips like rope right to the end. Currently on Netflix.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    To my slight embarrassment, I'd never seen 12 Angry Men (1957) prior to this weekend, despite being a huge Sidney Lumet fan. Although it's clear where it's headed from the beginning, the acting is superb, and it grips like rope right to the end. Currently on Netflix.
    Yes - immense atmosphere and acting from start to finish! A truly great film.

With no expectations, I watched "Dracula Untold" on bluray at the weekend... really enjoyed it.. would recommend - 7/10

Craftsman
    The Martian

Good to hear, i would like to see at some point. How was matt damon ?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Knisse View Post
    Good to hear, i would like to see at some point. How was matt damon ?
    Missus said he was delicious as always

I love Mat Damon, and I thought he was great, one of the highlights of the movie
    Last edited by caye031; 9th October 2015 at 06:11. Reason: removed picture

Master
    Watched this in Lisbon with Portugeese subtitles,caught out by the Chineese dialogue !! .Excellent film and will get DVD when comes out .

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by whatmeworry View Post
    There's a joke in there somewhere
    Very good mate :) just re read that lol

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Enjoyed John Wick the other night.

I saw Everest at the weekend and The Martian last night. Of the two I think I preferred Everest. Both are great movies though.

The Martian looked great, cool story, great acting, I just felt like it jumped around a bit too much, it was quite happy to skip forward months at a time.

Everest did the same, to an extent, making most of the climb seem pretty easy and skipping between the camps on the way up quickly. Overall I just enjoyed the movie more though, probably because its based on real events.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by maccer View Post
    Enjoyed John Wick the other night.
    I will second that, watched it a few weeks ago and it was ok.

Master
    Nightcrawler on Amazon Prime TV streaming

Wasnt tempted when it was in cinema, even despite my "unlimited" card, but I streamed it last night and it was really quite good.

PS Gillenhall's performance did feel a bit like a poor mans De Niro in Taxi Driver
    Last edited by ach5; 8th October 2015 at 11:05.

[QUOTE=caye031;3658613]Missus said he was delicious as always

I love Mat Damon, and I thought he was great, one of the highlights of the movie

Interesting trivia
    /QUOTE]

You may wish to edit the picture out of your post, this is a public area of the forum.
    F.T.F.A.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Watched the visit last night.
    Pretty tense to the point that i let out a bit of a squeal at one point but the ending was a bit on the "meh" side.
    worth a watch though.