closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 87 of 161 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997137 ... LastLast
Results 4,301 to 4,350 of 8032

Thread: Anyone watched any good movies recently?

Just watched David Lowery's 'A Ghost Story'. Definitely worth a watch.

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Just watched David Lowery's 'A Ghost Story'. Definitely worth a watch.
    I'm still thinking about this today. A really interesting film. Managed to feel fresh too and even innovative which is really saying something nowadays. Highly recommended!!!

Just got back from the flicks - Thor Ragnarok. Enjoyable, escapist silliness with plenty of amusing dialogue - calling the portal to travel back to Asgard 'the devil's anus' for example. Nice use of 'The Immigrant Song' too.

Quote Originally Posted by Zolawinston View Post
    I watched Bone Tomahawk last night, what a brutal film, particularly at one point, found it very difficult to watch TBH.
    I’ve see that previously, made me feel a bit sick as the violence is extreme.

Watched 13 hours on Amazon, if you like war movies then it is for you.
    I’m guessing there was much artistic license used in the body count, how so few could inflict so many casualties, but a cracking watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    I bored you all with Baby Driver praise first time out, I've just watched it again and it stands up to a second viewing with ease. Fantastic escapism.
    I watched this on the plane the other day and was very impressed and enthralled - could see it all going to fall apart but it kept you guessing quite how. I would recommend it

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    'Atomic Blonde 2017' great action movie with Annelize Theron.
    There's even a watchmaker in it.
    I should have auditioned for the part...

Brendan

This sounds like an odd recommendation, but Baywatch was a lot better than expected. Some great banter between The Rock and Zac Efron, and all very tongue-in-cheek.

I watched Elle last night, newish Paul Verhoven flick on Netflix starring Isabelle Huppert. I'm really not sure what to say. It held my attention, but I'm not sure I've ever thought what the f are you doing you crazy b so many times in two hours.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Took my son to watch Thor Ragnarok.....bloody great. Easily one of the best Marvel films and really enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by robcat View Post
    What We Do in the Shadows is absolutely brilliant. (Particularly Rhys Darby’s “Werewolves, not swearwolves!” cameo). If anyone can turn the usual Marvel drivel into a decent movie, it’s TW.
    I watched this last night on iplayer - very funny indeed.

Master
    The Veteran-low budget drama from 2011, with Toby Kebbell.

Saw blade runner at the cinema last night. Little long and didn’t need Harrison Ford in it but what a movie to have seen in a cinema. Happy I went.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Saw blade runner at the cinema last night. Little long and didn’t need Harrison Ford in it but what a movie to have seen in a cinema. Happy I went.
    It sort of did need Harrison Ford in it.......sort of a crucial part of the story. Mind you it would've been a lot shorter without him I suppose.

Master
    Watched Thor yesterday and was all kinds of fun! Really enjoyed it and can highly recommend it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Call me crazy, but Thor was too funny. Yes, the first two movies were as dull as dishwater, but you can go too far the other way.

Two faces of January, great throw back film. Moody and full of cigarette smoke...loved it!

Master
    Valerian.

Really enjoyable for the first hour.
    Then it becomes incredibly dull. I’ve literally fallen asleep twice now trying to watch it till the end.

The lead is possibly the least charismatic hero ever. He comes over like some dull punk kid.

VFX are variable from amazing (Weta I assume) to barely acceptable 20 years ago.

Colossal was very good. Not really sci-fi, but more a quirky indie pic with sci-fi elements.

I watched "The Long Good Friday" again last night, it still stands up 37 years later. I'd forgotten about the young Pierce Brosnan.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I watched "The Long Good Friday" again last night, it still stands up 37 years later. I'd forgotten about the young Pierce Brosnan.

Eddie
    It's one of the classic British gangster flicks that I watch regularly. Get Carter, Sexy Beast and Mona Lisa are also on that list.

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    It's one of the classic British gangster flicks that I watch regularly. Get Carter, Sexy Beast and Mona Lisa are also on that list.
    Great movies.

I'd add Gangster no.1 and The Limey to the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Great movies.

You are so right. I watch The Limey regularly too! Will have to dig GN1 out as it's been ages since I saw it.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Great movies.

Gangster No1 is superb . Sexy Beast has to be one my fave Brit (maybe Spanish???) gangster flicks. Ben Kingsley is terrifying in it!

I'm surprised how few of Frederick Forsyth's books have been filmed recently, nothing new since the 70s and 80s but I did watch "The Odessa File" at the weekend and enjoyed it. There seems to be a trend these days to pad the story with gratuitous and irrelevant sex scenes but none of that malarky in The Odessa File.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Thor Ragnarok - I went with my 20 year old son who likes this kind of nonsense.

I've enjoyed the Thor films far more than many of the other superhero films and this one is good knock-about fun with the same sense of self mocking that the others have.

However, like most of these series, it suffers from piling on the special effects at the expense of a proper story as the films rack up.

The first Thor film was a proper film with acting and a plot, the second less so, this even less so.

Marvel's insistence at shoehorning in other characters is bloody annoying too (for me, my son seems to love it) - The Hulk on a far flung planet? OK, tenuous, but at least he plays a part as the film pans out, but Cumberbatch's character (who I can't even remember the name of now!) served absolutely no purpose at all and was as superfluous as Stan Lee's trademark appearance, but far less forgivable!

On the positive side, Chris Hemsworth is great as Thor, the script is entertaining and amusing, it looks great and Goldblum and Blanchett revel in their rather flimsy roles.

Hiddleston always seems a bit wasted as Loki and especially so in this film, where he's never really bad.

So, 6/10 - A bit of fun, but not 'must see'.

M

Paddington 2.

Just perfect in every way. Not saying anymore because I don't want to spoil a nanosecond of it.

Just go and watch it and leave having had a great laugh.

Saw Kingsman The Golden Circle this evening.

Daft load of nonesense.

I loved it.

Atomic Blonde with Charlize Theron in 80's getup, awesome, film wasn't bad either...

Craftsman
    Recently saw "The death of Stalin".
    Haven't laughed so much in a long time. Some really great witty writing and some amazing throw away lines.
    Probably closer to the historical events that it parodies than a few historians would care to admit too :)

I don't if I can say good, but definitely different - You Were Never Really Here. A bit like Leon, a bit like Taxi Driver, with really arty direction a bit like Drive - not much dialogue, a sort of backstory that is never explained but with frustratingly brief flashbacks dropping clues. And violent. Has anyone read the book (or any book) by Jonathan Ames?

Craftsman
    Watched Snowden this week and really enjoyed it. Amazed by how much access the guy had and how deeply he was involved. Had though he was pretty junior but not the case. Well worth a watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'i don't feel at home in this world anymore'

Quite a strange film. Reminds me a bit of Fargo in terms of its goof crim themes.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    We watched 6 Days last weekend. Excellent telling of the Iranian Embassy siege in 1980. Well worth a viewing.
    We also watched My Fuhrer, a German film with a comedic competence that defies the popular misconception of German humour we hold in the UK.

Blog Entries
    Look who’s back is worth a look, Hitler turns up in Berlin in modern times etc etc. Very clever, and amusing, story on how people can be swayed into Nationalism.

Master
    ^^^
    I'd read the book which was quite interesting and humorous so made a bee-line for the film on release. First time round I enjoyed it but was marginally disappointed though I could not pinpoint why. I watched it again a few weeks ago and thought it was excellent.

Master

Smile

Dare I say it but enjoyed ' Paddington 2 ' in company of my good wife.

Couldn't sleep last night and Apocalypto was on Film4. Absolutely incredible film.

Craftsman
    Watched Sing last night with my daughter. Was ok actually. I like a lot of the kids films, Says a lot according to my mrs. :?

After falling out with the Star Wars series when Star Wars was renamed A New Hope and the Phantom Menace was a steaming pile of dung, I watched Rogue One yesterday, having ignored everything apart from the three movies.
    Well, I was blown away, I'll have a ROTJ refresher tonight followed by The Force Awakens then The Last Jedi over the weekend. Star Wars is alive for me again!

I watched ‘Wonder’ a couple of weeks ago at the cinema which I thought was brilliant - it was an intense film at times and had a few twists which I didn’t inspect. The boy who played the main character and the actress who played his sister were absolutely fantastic.

I also watched one of my favourite Spielberg films the other day - ‘Munich’ with Eric Bana.

Deception with Geoffrey Rush. One of the best movies I've seen for a long time
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

If you want a bit of Xmas cheer (...not).

Mother! - typical wackiness from Darren Aronofsky. Borderline genius IMO.

Brawl in Cell Block 99 - expected generic action fare from Vince Vaughan, got very dark, and very, very violent noir. I knew VV aspired to more after True Detective (despite being excellent in comedies), but he steps it up a gear in this.

Fences - Denzel and Violet were obviously brilliant, but all the supporting cast were clearly bringing their A-game.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Watched 'Flight' last night with Denzel Washington.

Really enjoyed it.

Hacksaw Ridge.

Had this lying around on dvd after a recommendation, but only watched it on line a few nights ago.

It's why we're here. Challenging and inspiring.

Just watched Bridge of Spies - what a great story and script. Mark Rylance is always a joy to watch.

If you want something to make you feel a little bit better about life, without loads of syrupy Anerican sentiment, watch Sing Street. Some great 80s music as well.

Master
    Recently watched a couple on Netflix -

The Foreigner - Jackie Chan in subdued form out for revenge against the IRA and Pierce Brosnan doing his best Gerry Adams impression. Wasn't expecting much but though it was highly entertaining with some great action scenes and a gripping if somewhat familiar story line.

Kidnap - Halle Berry is relentless in her pursuit of her son's kidnappers. Was looking for something fairly short last night and at an hour and a half you're pretty much straight into the action. Both myself and my wife found it somewhat "harrowing" in parts and had a few episodes of shouting at the screen at some of her actions but worth a watch.

Cheers
    Neil

Craftsman
    The wife dragged me to the pictures yesterday to watch the greatest Showman, was dreading a musical!! But must say really enjoyed it.
    Then at the other end of the scale I watched Rise of the foot soldier 3 (Pat Tate story) if your into the British ganster films, I thought it was good, lot of violence though!!

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Just watched "The Finest Hours" which is the dramatisation of a true story. Its one to watch on a big plasma/projector. Awesome.

Next we have lined up Toni Erdmann which Ive heard great things about