closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 139 of 162 FirstFirst ... 3989129137138139140141149 ... LastLast
Results 6,901 to 6,950 of 8058

Thread: Anyone watched any good movies recently?

Watched fury this week after a visit to the Bovington Tank Museum

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

We watched The Death of Stalin last night and it's now in my all time top ten films. Beautifully done, very funny and Jason Isaacs as Zhukov is pure, hilarious, brilliance.

Master
    Winter brain dead entertainment needed, so…

Wrath of Man - as others have said it passes the time. Standard Ritchie/Statham fair and I didn’t find it either great or terrible. Next:

Hitman’s wife’s bodyguard - had me in stitches all the way through, although my wife left the room after about 20 minutes. To be fair Ryan Reynolds has me in stitches even when he’s trying to be serious. Next:

The Suicide Squad - enjoyable ultra violent nonsense. Impressed by the CGI.

I’m on a roll here, I thought to myself! Next:

The Green Hornet - OH MY GOD what a turkey! Do not watch…(sorry wrong thread)

Nobody is in the line of John Wick cartoon violence but done with a lot of wit and panache. Absurb in parts but actually very well filmed in parts too - the guy can direct.

And nobody does dialogue-in-a-tense scene-lightened by-verbal-and-mental-dexterity like Bob Odenkirk.

I loathe disaster movies but got persuaded to watch Don't Look Up as it is a comedy.

An nice take on the way we interact with and can be influenced by the media. With key characters clearly parodying Trump and a morph of Musk/Zuckerberg/Jobs

A solid 7/10 for me.

I was firmly in the Look up camp.

Quote Originally Posted by freeloader View Post
    I loathe disaster movies but got persuaded to watch Don't Look Up as it is a comedy.

An nice take on the way we interact with and can be influenced by the media. With key characters clearly parodying Trump and a morph of Musk/Zuckerberg/Jobs

A solid 7/10 for me.

I was firmly in the Look up camp.
    I watched it to the end so I agree with your 7/10 until the last few minutes which killed it for me, it then crashed to pretty much zero (IMO).

Did you watch the couple of extra scenes towards the end of the credits? Not many people have.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    I watched it to the end so I agree with your 7/10 until the last few minutes which killed it for me, it then crashed to pretty much zero (IMO).
    Yep I'm with on that, the section which includes the "tramp stamp" was not required but I can let that one lapse in judgement slide.

Master
    The Standoff at Sparrow Creek.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    Watched Summer Of Sam last night for the first time and thought it was better than Zodiac

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post
    Watched Summer Of Sam last night for the first time and thought it was better than Zodiac
    Wow, that's incredibly high praise! May I ask which platform has Summer of Sam?

I have recently watched The Dig and Munich: The Edge of War on Netflix. Both very good, I particularly liked Munich, very good performances all-round.

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jon8oy View Post
    Wow, that's incredibly high praise! May I ask which platform has Summer of Sam?

I have recently watched The Dig and Munich: The Edge of War on Netflix. Both very good, I particularly liked Munich, very good performances all-round.

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk
    A lot of that is because I knew nothing about the case but kind of knew the story of Zodiac beforehand. Plus SOM is like an assault on the senses while Zodiac is a Hollywood movie it’s probably easier to love.

Imagine a Zodiac, Carlitos Way and Saturday Night Fever mashup.

I just rewatched Bob Odenkirk in Nobody. Great action flick!

At this moment, I'm watching Pulp Fiction for about the 43rd time. It's in my Top Five movies of all time.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    At this moment, I'm watching Pulp Fiction for about the 43rd time. It's in my Top Five movies of all time.
    ^^^ this ^^^

Master
    Watched Munich - Edge of War last night. Quite a decent watch. Interesting tale and well acted.

I revisited a couple of old faves that are currently on Netflix:

The Big Short - excellent, excellent film. So good I put my phone down and gave it my full attention.

L.A. Confidential - superb 1950s detective drama (as if you didn't know)

Master
    Blog Entries
    If anybody has an inclination to watch Gold with zac efron, just don’t I have saved you 100mins of dross

SNATCH

probably already been mentioned but I only saw it for the first time last week.

Master
    The Hitman’s Apprentice. 10yr old now but only just watched. Has the excellent Tim Roth and Peter Mullan.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattie-1000 View Post
    SNATCH

probably already been mentioned but I only saw it for the first time last week.
    Defining moment in your life! Glad you liked it. One of the best films ever.

THE SISTERS BROTHERS

Kinda odd dark comedy set in the 1850s gold rush. Very good cast of Phoenix, Gyllenhaal and co.

Quote Originally Posted by dek10000 View Post
    If anybody has an inclination to watch Gold with zac efron, just don’t I have saved you 100mins of dross

Seconded. It’s a genre (nihilistic, quasi horror) that’s been overdone. Using a story as old as the hills.

Watched Nightmare Alley last night.

Bradley Cooper, Cate Blanchett. Guillermo del toro directing.
    If you enjoyed the TV show Carnivale, you’ll enjoy this very much.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Defining moment in your life! Glad you liked it. One of the best films ever.
    Amazing. Did not know it had that class of actors in it either ! I thought it "only" had Vinnie Jones in it.

A real treat. Like discovering a brand new Rolex, or diamond, in an old overlooked box.

Quote Originally Posted by FrontierGibberish View Post
    We watched The Death of Stalin last night and it's now in my all time top ten films. Beautifully done, very funny and Jason Isaacs as Zhukov is pure, hilarious, brilliance.
    Such a good film. Casting, dialogue and direction are insane and quite brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattie-1000 View Post
    Amazing. Did not know it had that class of actors in it either ! I thought it "only" had Vinnie Jones in it.

A real treat. Like discovering a brand new Rolex, or diamond, in an old overlooked box.
    Have you seen 'lock stock'?

I appear to be a tiny minority, but I think Rocknrolla is a decent film as well. It has Idris Elba, Mark Strong, Tom Hardy, Thandie Newton and Gerard Butler.

- - - Updated - - -

I appear to be a tiny minority, but I think Rocknrolla is a decent film as well. It has Idris Elba, Mark Strong, Tom Hardy, Thandie Newton and Gerard Butler.

It's on Netflix at the mo.

Quote Originally Posted by watchlovr View Post
    Such a good film. Casting, dialogue and direction are insane and quite brilliant.
    It is very good. Stitches of laughter - mad - I want everybody shot !!

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    Have you seen 'lock stock'?
    Saw Lock Stock after watching Snatch. I think that way I saw the best one first. If I had seen Lock Stock first then it would given an indication of what Snatch was going to be like. Both good films.

Dune. Stunning. Best I’ve seen for 12 months.

Quote Originally Posted by watchlovr View Post
    Dune. Stunning. Best I’ve seen for 12 months.
    gorgeous ... waiting for the second half with baited breath

for an "easy watch":
    Gunpowder Milkshake
    Copshop

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    I just rewatched Bob Odenkirk in Nobody. Great action flick!
    Agree

Films

Get Shorty always a good watch along with Se7en, The Usual Suspects, Shawshank Redemption, Cool Hand Luke, To Kill A Mockingbird, Big Lebowski, Amelie, Chocolat, Leon, Belleveille Rendezvous

Quote Originally Posted by toezapper View Post
    gorgeous ... waiting for the second half with baited breath
    That was the only think that upset me about the film on the opening credits when it said ‘Part One’

David Lynch's Dune is on Netflix atm. The new film is surprisingly similar to the original. The original looks very dated now, but it's an interesting comparison. I remember at the time thinking that the armour effect was amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    David Lynch's Dune is on Netflix atm. The new film is surprisingly similar to the original. The original looks very dated now, but it's an interesting comparison. I remember at the time thinking that the armour effect was amazing.
    Thank you for the heads-up.
    I may try watching this again, as I had absolutely no idea what was going on when I watched it as a kid the first time around.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Wasn't it slated at the time?

Quote Originally Posted by Fender View Post
    Watched Nightmare Alley last night. Bradley Cooper, Cate Blanchett. Guillermo del toro directing.
    I’ve always wanted to like Del Toro, but few of his films have clicked for me. This one I enjoyed much more than I expected to. Neo-noir is very difficult to get right (see also neo-gialli). My local arthouse is showing it in black and white, and I may go to see it again, which is a rarity for me.

As an aside, the original is on YouTube and worth a watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    I’ve always wanted to like Del Toro, but few of his films have clicked for me. This one I enjoyed much more than I expected to. Neo-noir is very difficult to get right (see also neo-gialli). My local arthouse is showing it in black and white, and I may go to see it again, which is a rarity for me.

As an aside, the original is on YouTube and worth a watch.
    Oh I didn't know it was a remake. Will take a look at the original.

I rewatched Death Of Stalin. Really enjoyed it. The regional accents, especially of Joe, helps bring it all home.

I'm watching Nicolas Winding Refn's 'Too Old To Die Young' again on Prime. It's in 10 episodes but Refn considers it to be a film so I think it's OK to post it here.

It's utterly marvellous, gorgeous and brutal. It's a very slow burn and some may say indulgent with lots of lingering static shots but if you make it through the opening few episodes the rewards are there.

I was amused by Moonfall. It’s utter tripe in the way all those Hollywood apocalypse movies are, but the lead’s backstory is a complete rip-off of the 1980 video nasty Contamination, which is hilarious (and has inexplicably passed all the critics by).

As an aside, Halle Berry is still smoking hot.

Master
    For the Lee Child fans on here Reacher series 1 aired on Netflix on 4/2. Unlike the Tom Cruise version they have found a 230 pound actor! Its a good remake of killing floor, a novel that I have allways felt sums up Reacher.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    For the Lee Child fans on here Reacher series 1 aired on Netflix on 4/2. Unlike the Tom Cruise version they have found a 230 pound actor! Its a good remake of killing floor, a novel that I have allways felt sums up Reacher.
    I’ve been binge watching since yesterday, it’s really good! Very true to the book. The book is one of my favourites in the series, which is nice.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    I’ve been binge watching since yesterday, it’s really good! Very true to the book. The book is one of my favourites in the series, which is nice.
    Cant agree more, only two episodes in, I was surprised to see the actor they have used is 6’2” not the full Reacher 6’5”. However the shooting angles magnify his presence.

I have listened to all of the Reacher novels including the two new cooperations with Andrew Child. Killing floor is standout novel for me. Im not surprised they picked that for the first series.

Cant agree more, only two episodes in, I was surprised to see the actor they have used is 6’2” not the full Reacher 6’5”. However the shooting angles magnify his presence.

I have listened to all of the Reacher novels including the two new cooperations with Andrew Child. Killing floor is standout novel for me. Im not surprised they picked that for the first series.
    They should have done a better job with the camera angles because he really doesn't look 6ft 5.
    He also struggled to beat up men half his size, but somehow battered 5 armed goons in the prison scene.

It dragged, truth be told. But quite enjoyable enough nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by Fender View Post
    They should have done a better job with the camera angles because he really doesn't look 6ft 5.
    He also struggled to beat up men half his size, but somehow battered 5 armed goons in the prison scene.

It dragged, truth be told. But quite enjoyable enough nonetheless.
    I really did enjoy it, but I agree with you, he didn’t overwhelm his attackers like in the books, and if I had another small gripe, he was a fair built younger than I imagined him to be.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Mrs. PC and I went to the cinema today and watched Tim Roth in Sundown. It's a film by Michel Franco that you will love or hate. Rotten Tomatoes' cohort of critics split 70/30 "Fresh."

When the curtain came down, I was a slightly-confused 50/50. One hour later I would rate it at least 3.5/4.0.

Amazing...confusing...brilliant...boring...unnervi ng...captivating.

See for yourself.
    Last edited by pacifichrono; 20th February 2022 at 00:31.

Not Amazon prime?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watched 'The Tinder Swindler' last night (Netflix). It is a documentary style film by the same people that created the 'Don't F**k with Cats' and it is presented in a very similar way.

It was quite an interesting watch and astonishing what the bloke involved managed to get away with.

The latest retread of Death on the Nile is much better than the mixed reviews suggest. All concerned ham it up outrageously (you know you’re on a one-way cruise to high camp when Russell Brand’s is the most restrained performance) but it’s a jolly good old-fashioned romp from start to finish, with some spectacular (if CGI-fake) cinematography. Luvvie-lovers will love it.
    Last edited by Seamaster73; 11th February 2022 at 18:07.