closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 75 of 162 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785125 ... LastLast
Results 3,701 to 3,750 of 8057

Thread: Anyone watched any good movies recently?

Snowden - Nothing too exciting but I still enjoyed it.

Craftsman
    Watched trainspotting 2 last night. No spoilers, it's a decent 8/10

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    I sort of liked Arrival, agree it's slow but it gets there in the end. A bit predictable though.

We watched 'Hundred foot journey ' last night, really enjoyed it, its a charming feel good film, Helen Miran runs a French Michelin starred restaurant that competes with a newly arrived Indian family that moves in opposite. I fell in love a little but with the French sous chef .
    Hundred foot journey, we have watched it three times and enjoyed it every time, great performances all round.

Craftsman
    I know, a bit late to the party on this one but SWMBO and I watched 'Argo' the other night and thoroughly enjoyed it. When I went on to read about the events it's based on, I found out they truncated the story a little for the purpose of the screenplay but it was still a good watch. On Netflix now.

A couple of weeks ago we saw Moka which has an absolutely excellent performance by Emmanualle Devos. The strapline may make it sound a little morbid but it's also a sort of whodunnit.

Last night we watched Groundhog Day because a) I've never seen it and b) it came up on Mubi. I understand some of the ideas it conjures with but how it got 8 on IMDB is completely beyond me.

On the plus side the start of Berlinale is upon us and this with Bruno Ganz and Timothy Spall is looking interesting:

https://www.berlinale.de/en/programm...91#tab=video25

And there's also a Kaurismäki to look forward too but, as usual, the challenge will be getting tickets. Happy days.

I loved Arrival, though appear to be in a minority!

Bleed for this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gawkrodger View Post
    Nope, loved it as well. One of my favourites of the year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gawkrodger View Post
    I hope it is better than the short story it is based on; a rare case of the film being better than the book perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock View Post
    I hope it is better than the short story it is based on; a rare case of the film being better than the book perhaps.
    I've not read the book, but believe me it has to be way better than the movie.

Bridge of Spies

Craftsman
    Free State of Jones with Matthew McConaughey.

About a confederate soldier during the US civil war who sets up his own mixed army and rebels against the local confederate government in Mississippi.

Well worth a look and worth reading about the rest of the story on the web.

Master
    Watched a charming independent Canadian film the other day -

How to Plan an Orgy in a Small Town

"Me before you"

Superb romantic drama; not something I'd have picked but was the wife's choice; had me properly choked up at times. A really good film.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2674426/

I watched the new (2014) Godzilla at the weekend on Amazon Prime - expected it to be trash, but it was fairly faithful to the Japanese antihero Godzilla. Takes a while to get rolling but the build up story is probably the best part of the film.

Someone recommended Hardcore Henry in this thread, and I have just done watching it, bloody brilliant, great action packed, great humour, and very good editing and performances.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    T2:Trainspotting.
    Bloody superb....the acting,the music,the nostalgia...everything.

Birdman. Seemed to have missed this oscar winner and had know idea who what or where but watched it on a whim (Netflix) knowing nothing about it and thought it was brilliant, multi layered and superbly written and acted.

EX Machina was a recent watch that bucked the predictable trend of android type movies. Robot and Frank is another good watch.

(All on Netflix)

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    T2:Trainspotting.
    Bloody superb....the acting,the music,the nostalgia...everything.
    I am looking forward to seeing this!

Craftsman
    The colony on sky movies.
    The first 15 minutes are borderline for turning it off, but after that the film really comes to life.
    Based on a true story. Very good.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Passengers. Very differerent and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Banned
    "Friend request" last night. Not watched a horror film for years, jumped out of my skin a few times

The Seven Five on Netflix.

Fascinating documentary about corruption in NYPD in the 80s

Watched 'Girl on the train' the other night - thought it was pretty good. Emily Blunts performance was brilliant.

Sat down with the kids and watched 'Miss Peregrine's home for peculiar children' which was good fun. The nod to Ray Harryhausen towards the end was good fun.

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Watched T2: Trainspotting tonight, better than I thought it would be. Some nice references back to the original. Well worth a watch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Cloud Atlas. I had heard it was very poor. But I read and LOVED the book, so I was very curious about it. Not too bad really. Some of the aspects of the film worked better than the book, i.e. the suspense. I have to say though, someone coming into the film without having read the book may have a very different view on it to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris W View Post
    Watched 'Girl on the train' the other night - thought it was pretty good. Emily Blunts performance was brilliant.

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using TZ-UK mobile app

Totally agree. Was pleasantly surprised at just how good this film was.

Berlinale is in full swing and I've seen two particularly good films so far.

Insyriated is a small film by a relatively obscure Belgian director - Philippe Van Leeuw. It's a day in the life of a number of relatives and neighbours holed up in a flat in an indeterminate Syrian city and very much near the front line. For a relatively simple, if rather unpleasant scenario, the director manages to weave a number of different plot lines and all the time portraying a strong sense of claustrophobia. It was filmed in Beirut and the most significant performance is from Hiam Abbass (one of those actresses who seems to have been in everything but who you can't quite pin down to a particular role - possibly with the exception of the Lemon Tree) however there is strong support from the rest of the cast; Diamand Bou Abboud and Juliette Navis and indeed the rest of the cast, the majority of which are Syrian and who are either refugees in Lebanon or had to find a way to travel to Beirut to make the film.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6497898/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_3
    https://www.berlinale.de/en/programm/berlinale_programm/datenblatt.php?film_id=201714412#tab=filmStills

There was a short Q&A after the showing and Hiam Abass was there.

The Party is something of an Ayckbournesque farce beautifully shot in black and white. With a fine cast including Kristen Scott Thomas, Timothy Spall, Cillian Murphy and Bruno Ganz it's difficult to single out one contribution. From a cinematographical perspective Spall's contribution is probably the most interesting however Ganz gets all of the best, and funniest, lines. There doesn't seem to be a definite UK release yet but I don't think you'll see a more tightly-scripted 70 minute feature in the next year. This picture gives you as good a feel for the film as you could hope for.

It's one of the competing films in the competition and I hope it does well.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5814592/?ref_=fn_al_tt_3
    https://www.berlinale.de/en/programm...91#tab=video25
    Last edited by Carlton-Browne; 7th January 2018 at 17:59.

Just finished watching Doctor Strange, it was strangely enjoyable!

Hacksaw Ridge

Awesome

Just got back from the flicks - A Cure For Wellness. The plot is rather a mess but aesthetically the film is quite striking. There is a bit of a Shutter Island feel to it, but a scene near the end reminded me of Vincent Price's The Masque of The Red Death.

Dale DeHaan has come a long way since playing the troubled gay in 'In Treatment', a future Leonardo DiCaprio perhaps?

Also I'm expecting a peak in silver dial 5500 Air King values, not only is Ryan Gosling sporting one a lot in photos recently, but the same model features quite heavily in this film, with one or two lingering close-ups, à la Oh-meegas in a Daniel Craig Bond flick.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    Awesome
    Agreed, well worth a watch.
    Cheers..
    Jase

+1 For Hacksaw Ridge

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Agreed, well worth a watch.
    Just watched this last night. Absolutely brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    I've had this for around 3 weeks and had planned to watch it but a friend said it was fairly slow and only really came to life in the last hour, that said I will make a point of watching it over the weekend.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    +1 great movie

Also we watched Moonlight the other night, didn't know much about the plot, just read a headline about the Oscar nominations, but it has an unusual atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Wood View Post
    I've had this for around 3 weeks and had planned to watch it but a friend said it was fairly slow and only really came to life in the last hour, that said I will make a point of watching it over the weekend.
    I suppose thats right in that the 1st half sets things up for the all action 2nd half - but its important to the story - and given that its a true story, right that the scene is set.

Watched The Magnificent Seven last night

Rather enjoyed it

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    The Seven Five on Netflix.

Fascinating documentary about corruption in NYPD in the 80s
    Just watched this after seeing your reccomenation, really enjoyed it, cheers

+1 Ex Machina. Cerebral and superb.

I have just watched Hidden Figures. Its about African American women working at NASA and their contribution to the space race. Its well worth a watch.

Last edited by Mitch Buchannon; 23rd February 2017 at 04:35.

I Daniel Blake, really thought provoking, and shows you based on true events how screwed up the UK unemployed system is.

Hidden Figures is excellent!

Conjuring 2.

One of the most documented paranormal activities recorded, based in Enfield London.

Definitely one of the better horror films I have seen - enjoyed it - 7.8/10

Just saw "John Wick 2" with Keanu Reeves. Good action flick, but one guy killing about 150 trained men at close quarters strains one's belief system!

I know this will have been mentioned possibly several times. Hacksaw Ridge. What a great film from the story to the cinematography. I also couldn't believe I had not read or seen anything about this story before.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I have just watched Patriots Day. Its a good flick and worth a watch. Its about the Boston bombings in April 2013. Obviously we know how it ends but it was still nail biting if you know what I mean. Good cast also. I hadn't realised how many big names were in it. Stars: Mark Wahlberg , John Goodman and Kevin Bacon.

Craftsman
    Scarface? ;)

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

John Wick 2; Just bonkers but fun if you enjoy non-stop gun blazing shoot outs, superb fight choreography and falling downstairs stunt work (maybe even better than the 'Blues Brothers')!
    Enjoy
    Joe

We've just watched "Warrior" (2011) with Tom Hardy, Joel Edgerton and Nick Nolte. One of the best fight films I've seen, some of the fight scenes are brutal.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1291584/

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Journeyman
    I too was late to the Warrior party and couldn't believe I'd dismissed it as 'another UFC bandwagon movie'.

Saw Mr Fantastic and Lego Batman this weekend, both very good in very different ways!