closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 158 of 162 FirstFirst ... 58108148156157158159160 ... LastLast
Results 7,851 to 7,900 of 8058

Thread: Anyone watched any good movies recently?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by chime101 View Post
    Talking of revenge films, I finally got around to getting the DVD (remember them) of Dead Mans Shoes from ebay for £3. Superb film firmly in the Shane Meadows mould but far away from anyone elses. Even better on the second watch
    Another revenge film that's very good is Upgrade (2018). Think it's currently available on Apple TV.

Sent from my Pixel 8 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fender View Post
    The killer was an odd one. 70’s reminiscent but had those awful contemporary graphics that kept popping up on the screen, or should I say swooping across. More like a YouTube video than a cinema experience.

As a smiths fan, I’d have rather Fincher omitted the vast majority of Fassbender’s internal monologue and just played the bloody music. Show don’t tell, David!

I enjoy a good revenge mission, though, and it was better than the last John Wick instalment.
    I’m on my third and final attempt. I just find I keep going off and doing something else, or opening the iPhone. I’m not gripped in the slightest.

Craftsman
    Watched Terminator Dark Fate on All4 the other day.. really enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by chime101 View Post
    Talking of revenge films, I finally got around to getting the DVD (remember them) of Dead Mans Shoes from ebay for £3. Superb film firmly in the Shane Meadows mould but far away from anyone elses. Even better on the second watch
    Filmed near where I live in Matlock. Great film.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Andyp1973 View Post
    Filmed near where I live in Matlock. Great film.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I “grew up” in Morton, just up the road. Dead man’s shoes though has to be Shane Meadows’ best work IMHO. It’s got a sense of inevitability that compels you to watch the unfolding menace. Genius.

Quote Originally Posted by tiny73 View Post
    I “grew up” in Morton, just up the road. Dead man’s shoes though has to be Shane Meadows’ best work IMHO. It’s got a sense of inevitability that compels you to watch the unfolding menace. Genius.
    Very good. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Interesting how people can view the same thing/ film differently...Me and the Mrs sat down to watch Fassbender's actioner last night, we both found it quite boring, emotionally unengaging...Tilda Swinton was the best thing in it.
    I have to agree with this, I watched it with the Mrs and it was terrible, we almost turned it off a few times but kept thinking it would get better, but it never did.

Craftsman

Anyone watched any good movies recently?

Dead Man’’s Shoes is on Film4 at 10.50 tonight

Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post
    I have to agree with this, I watched it with the Mrs and it was terrible, we almost turned it off a few times but kept thinking it would get better, but it never did.
    Well, just bring some more balance to this one, Mrs Smokey and I watched it tonight and both enjoyed it.

To quote her directly, “I really enjoyed that, I didn’t played Candy Crush once”.

Yes, it was far from perfect, lacked a bit of real tension, the plot was quite thin and the finale was oddly flat but overall a good way to spend 100 mins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    I was going to watch that on Prime last night but they want £20 to buy it, I will wait awhile.
    I would wait until its free , such is the predictability and plot line :(

I watched the great escaper last night, it was nowhere near to being overly twee as I thought it was going to be.
    Very enjoyable and some great performances from some of the UK's actors of their generation.

Solid 7/10

Sent from my IN2013 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by smokey99 View Post
    Well, just bring some more balance to this one, Mrs Smokey and I watched it tonight and both enjoyed it.

To quote her directly, “I really enjoyed that, I didn’t played Candy Crush once”.

Yes, it was far from perfect, lacked a bit of real tension, the plot was quite thin and the finale was oddly flat but overall a good way to spend 100 mins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I also enjoyed "The Killer" on Netflix, a slightly different take on an old format (sorry I do not want to give the plot away).

7/10

Quote Originally Posted by nickyboyo View Post
    I watched the great escaper last night, it was nowhere near to being overly twee as I thought it was going to be.
    Very enjoyable and some great performances from some of the UK's actors of their generation.

Solid 7/10

I watched this last night and completely agree with the comments above

I would offer that -in my view- it was possibly one of Michael Caine's best ever performances
    Also, John Standing & Glenda Jackson were superb

Well worth 90mins of any movie fans time

Master
    Watched 6 days on netflix last night - the Iranian Embbassy siege back in the 80's. Princes gate, London

Good british cast, no emo crap and seemed from recall to be quite accurate - I enjoyed it.

B

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Watched 6 days on netflix last night - the Iranian Embbassy siege back in the 80's. Princes gate, London

Good british cast, no emo crap and seemed from recall to be quite accurate - I enjoyed it.

B
    Thanks for the recommendation - on my watch list for the weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Watched

Mark Cavendish Documentary

Bull

Both very good.
    I simply can't get Neil Maskell as Winkle in King Gary out of my head and I struggle to see him as a hard-man/villain, same as his part in Hijack so that ruined both for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post
    Watched Renfield and it was utter nonsense but really enjoyable.
    Love Nicholas Cage but couldn't stand this.

Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    Old Dads - resonates & seriously funny.

Respecting diversity not.
    Old Dads agreed, a solid 7.5 maybe 8.0/10.

Quote Originally Posted by nickyboyo View Post

Solid 7/10

Thanks for that, on my to-watch list, but surprised it was released around the same time as The Last Rifleman which looks very similar.

Quote Originally Posted by spuds View Post
    I simply can't get Neil Maskell as Winkle in King Gary out of my head and I struggle to see him as a hard-man/villain, same as his part in Hijack so that ruined both for me.
    You didn't see him in Utopia on TV then?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by spuds View Post
    Funny you say that because 20 years ago when I was making a short film I had him come in for an audition for the bad guy, a vicious loan shark. He didn't get the part but he could have.

A more interesting character was Ian Puleston Davies, if you Google him you will instantly recognise him for playing bad/dodgy guys for many years with his rough gravelly voice, but in reality he was a bit of a high maintenance princess, really the opposite of the characters he plays, but a lovely guy.

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by aksing; 23rd November 2023 at 20:19.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    You didn't see him in Utopia on TV then?
    No mate but just googled it and looks worth a watch.

Quote Originally Posted by aksing View Post
    Funny you say that because 20 years ago when I was making a short film I had him come in for an audition for the bad guy, a vicious loan shark. He didn't get the part but he could have.

A more interesting character was Ian Puleston Davies, if you Google him you will instantly recognise him for playing bad/dodgy guys for many years with his rough gravelly voice, but in reality he was a bit of a high maintenance princess, really the opposite of the characters he plays, but a lovely guy.

- - - Updated - - -
    Now he I can believe as a ‘baddie’.

Blog Entries
    Watches Nyad on Netflix the other day - true story about Diana Nyad with Annette Benning in the title role and Jodie Foster.

I had never even heard of her before TBH - what an amazing women.

Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    Watches Nyad on Netflix the other day - true story about Diana Nyad with Annette Benning in the title role and Jodie Foster.
    Enjoyed it too.

Not much on Netflix appeals at the moment. Race to the Summit, about Swiss alpinists Ueli Steck and Dani Arnold was good though.

Quote Originally Posted by guli View Post
    Dead Man’’s Shoes is on Film4 at 10.50 tonight
    Still available on 4OD for anyone who missed it.

Belfast, superb acting hit the 1970's right on the head. Felt I was taken back in time.

Blog Entries

I had never even heard of her before TBH - what an amazing women.
    I watched Nyad over the weekend.
    Remarkable story - I thought she came across as a difficult character & would test the patience of a saint. Nonetheless, an amazing feat of endurance.

z

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    I watched Nyad over the weekend.
    Remarkable story - I thought she came across as a difficult character & would test the patience of a saint. Nonetheless, an amazing feat of endurance.

z
    I think that attitude almost comes with the mindset - not that I'm condoning or approving it, just that I think I can understand it; imagine how focused and strong willed you would have to be to do, or even think about, what she actually did.

Blog Entries
    I think that attitude almost comes with the mindset - not that I'm condoning or approving it, just that I think I can understand it; imagine how focused and strong willed you would have to be to do, or even think about, what she actually did.
    Agreed.

z

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    Belfast, superb acting hit the 1970's right on the head. Felt I was taken back in time.
    It’s really a trip down memory lane for me too!

The documentary 20 Days in Mariupol is hard to watch, but the filmmaker Mstyslav Chernov thinks that if enough people see it, it might give meaning to what happened. The full film is available for free on YouTube in the US. I do not know about viewing options in the UK, but it worth tracking down.
    Last edited by williemays; 30th November 2023 at 22:32.

Made the mistake of going to see Napoleon without checking Rotten Tomatoes first. Despite the efforts of Ridley Scott and Joaquin Phoenix, it was a stinker! Phoenix gave a terrible, wooden performance and the film was boring, with no passion. I couldn't care less about the character (NB).

The Shepherd - Short film on Disney. Based on the Fredrick Forsyth novel. Really enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    The Shepherd - Short film on Disney. Based on the Fredrick Forsyth novel. Really enjoyed it.
    Looking forward to it.
    The book is something of a Christmas Eve tradition in our family.

Just watched The Hunt with Mads Mikkelsen. Well what a film, certainly no popcorn movie that’s for sure. If you fancy something compelling, disturbing and emotionally charged, watch this film. Subtitled movie for anyone who prefers to avoid them.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by T1ckT0ck View Post
    Just watched The Hunt with Mads Mikkelsen. Well what a film, certainly no popcorn movie that’s for sure. If you fancy something compelling, disturbing and emotionally charged, watch this film. Subtitled movie for anyone who prefers to avoid them.

It's superb and as someone who works in the education sector, deeply disturbing.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    It's superb and as someone who works in the education sector, deeply disturbing.
    It's been on my list for a while. Sounds good.

I'm not much of an ITV fan (don't watch any live TV at all) but I had a quick browse on ITV X and I was v. impressed withe their film selection. Lots of high-rated stuff and I picked out 'Predestination'.. a short time travel film. Really good and I did have a quick Google afterwards for a full explanation. Recommended.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by T1ckT0ck View Post

It's good. I really liked Another Round, esp the great ending with his dance, and am going to watch Riders of Justice soon.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by djacks42 View Post
    It's been on my list for a while. Sounds good.

I'm not much of an ITV fan (don't watch any live TV at all) but I had a quick browse on ITV X and I was v. impressed withe their film selection. Lots of high-rated stuff and I picked out 'Predestination'.. a short time travel film. Really good and I did have a quick Google afterwards for a full explanation. Recommended.
    Don't watch much ITV either, but the Long Shadow was very good.

“Leave The World Behind”

Really good watch great cast and very thought provoking

Master
    Just watched Man on the Moon,24 years late.Good.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    “Leave The World Behind”

I love it! Glad Netflix airs these gems among all the turd!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    “Leave The World Behind”

Yes it was good but we didn't like the vague ending, opening for a sequel presumably.
    Belfast also good. Caitríona Balfe always a treat to see.

Last night, watched Die Hard for the first time in at least 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Last night, watched Die Hard for the first time in at least 30 years.
    Please remember :
    IT’S NOT CHRISTMAS UNTIL HANS GRUBER FALLS FROM NAKATOMI PLAZA?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

BBC iPlayer has The Death of Stalin once again. I saw it in the cinema and thoroughly enjoyed it. I hope it becomes a classic (maybe it has already) as the cast, characters and comedic portrayals of a bygone era are well worth a watch.

PS May the same thing happen to V Putin.

Master
    Jack Reacher series2 started on Prime last night episodes 1 to 3 . Based on book 11 Bad luck and trouble.

Watched episode one last night, slow start but has a fair amount of scene setting. But the good news is Alan Richson is even bigger and bulkier than series one, finally quashing the Tom Cruise image :)

Leave the World Behind - on Netflix.

Interesting movie, nice to watch a movie where you can't guess what is going to happen in the first 30mins, won't say anymore, so not to spoil it for folks.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvWatch View Post
    Leave the World Behind - on Netflix.

Interesting movie, nice to watch a movie where you can't guess what is going to happen in the first 30mins, won't say anymore, so not to spoil it for folks.
    Wasn’t a fan of this. It was one of the ongoing discussions of giving it another half hour etc, and then we were so committed time wise we watched to the end.

Master
    Watched Your Name, huge rating on IMDB, and watched it a couple of years ago but I wasn't paying enough attention so decided to give it another go and concentrate, and it was very good, very affecting and worthy of its lofty rating.

Also saw Elvis and Annabelle with a very young Blake Lively, a very nice quirky rom com.

Watched Ryan Reynolds in Just Friends last week. Quite an old one from 2005 and totally dumb but an easy Christmas movie and pretty funny.

Watching good will hunting right now and just superb.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Watched Ryan Reynolds in Just Friends last week. Quite an old one from 2005 and totally dumb but an easy Christmas movie and pretty funny.

Watching good will hunting right now and just superb.
    Good Will is a classic for sure. Tmrws film sorted
    - Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Good Will is a classic for sure. Tmrws film sorted
    - Thanks
    Mostly given up on Netflix/Prime (especially trending section) so love to rewatch a classic where I can.