closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Looking to buy a Sea Dweller

Looking to buy a Sea Dweller

There is a 16600 in a jeweller near to me. Second hand, A serial number. Absolutely immaculate, just had service. Up for £4,395, is this a fair price bearing in mind it comes with their own 12 month warranty. Would rather not pay over the odds
    Thanks in advance

Re: Looking to buy a Sea Dweller

did they do the service or Rolex ? (guess they did because of their 12 month warranty ?)
    all bits and pieces with it ?

They did the service. Box, papers etc. all good. One receipt from a service about 5 years ago at Rolex.
    Thanks for the reply,

Seems good, prices in London are closer to £5k from a dealer or around £4k on here depending on service history etc.

Sounds like a very decent deal to me.

Maybe just three-four hundred more than needs to be spent?

A 2004-2006 Mint Seadweller with all paperwork can be bought for around £4,000.

Al :)

Quote Originally Posted by blackal

From a bricks and mortar store, with a warranty? You'll be lucky.

Craftsman

If bought privately, judging from Sales Corner.

I am no expert but £4,395 from a dealer with box, papers and a recent service sounds not bad at all.

I'd love to know where, could add another to the collection :mrgreen:

I traded my sub c for one a few weeks back. Simply love the seadweller. Seems a fair price for a 2nd hand one I d say

Hi Al - where? I'd love to see all this mint Sea-Dwellers for sale for £4k - believe me, I have been looking and up until very recently buying all the good ones I could!
    It's just a matter of time...

In any case now would be a good time to buy, before any price increase on new watches has an effect on the used market - when a new non date Sub is going to be £5k, a very good condition SD is going to look like a bargain buy for a flat glass Rolex diver ;)

The one for sale is an A serial which would make it a 'Swiss' dialled variant. The 'Swiss' dial SD's tend to carry a small premium.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannop

The one for sale is an A serial which would make it a 'Swiss' dialled variant. The 'Swiss' dial SD's tend to carry a small premium.
    not necessarily a "Swiss only" dial but yes, pretty good chance it is, which for some would make it a little more special...

Quote Originally Posted by WingTsun
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic

Hi Al - where? I'd love to see all this mint Sea-Dwellers for sale for £4k - believe me, I have been looking and up until very recently buying all the good ones I could!
    Me too. I think this is some mythical price that people's subconscious are telling them exists. :lol:
    'Scornful' is not a good look for you............ :roll:

Have a look on Ebay - there are some good deals out there. I have just received a mint 2004 Seadweller with all boxes and paperwork from a private dealer - for a few pounds over the £4,000.

Sure, there is no warranty, but look at that issue carefully:

On a watch that, based on past experience of Rolex - should give reliable service for several decades/generations even ......... How important is a dealer warranty for year 8 ?

That said - the more people who are prepared to pay a 10% premium............ the better for future resale values :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by WingTsun

Me too. I think this is some mythical price that people's subconscious are telling them exists. :lol:
    'Scornful' is not a good look for you............ :roll:

Have a look on Ebay - there are some good deals out there. I have just received a mint 2004 Seadweller with all boxes and paperwork from a private dealer - for a few pounds over the £4,000.

Sure, there is no warranty, but look at that issue carefully:

On a watch that, based on past experience of Rolex - should give reliable service for several decades/generations even ......... How important is a dealer warranty for year 8 ?

That said - the more people who are prepared to pay a 10% premium............ the better for future resale values :lol:
    Well, I think you did exceptionally well, or maybe your idea of mint compared to mine is different. A dealer warranty adds very little in the way of value for me. I would say an SD is worth more than £4k and especially now a Deep Sea retails at over £8k - can't wait until the values trickle down.

I am not saying you can't get one for £4k - what I will say is that it is rarer/not the norm and usually the watches are not as good as those for a little more - generally you get what you pay for and people usually price their stuff accordingly, so if it is cheap there is usually a good reason for that.

quick check of ebay as you suggested:

£3895 for an ok but far from mint SD without papers.

Or £4200 with 25 bids so far and 3 days to go for a Box & Papers example - now I would suggest that is what a wider audience prices the watches at - lets see what it actually fetches in 3 days time!

I bought a 2006 SD in private sale three months ago, which could only be described as "unworn". The hinge pins in the clasp were still smoothly stiff.

It had everything except for the Serial Card, but had a Rolex Dealer authentication.

Got it for a few hundred under £4k.

I don't use the term "mint" lightly.

quick check of ebay as you suggested:

£3895 for an ok but far from mint SD without papers.

Or £4200 with 25 bids so far and 3 days to go for a Box & Papers example - now I would suggest that is what a wider audience prices the watches at - lets see what it actually fetches in 3 days time!
    On Ebay - there are as many overpriced watches as there are - underpriced. My impression is based on recent Rolex watches that I have seen and purchased.

I'm happy to be wrong in general terms, but specifically - I'm looking at two watches that say that I am right. :)

You can find several of them for prices ranging from 3650 euros to 3900 euros on chrono24:

https://www.chrono24.pt/rolex/sea-dwell ... rerIds=221

https://www.chrono24.pt/rolex/seadwelle ... rerIds=221

Good luck!

Rui

I bought a 2006 SD in private sale three months ago, which could only be described as "unworn". The hinge pins in the clasp were still smoothly stiff.

It had everything except for the Serial Card, but had a Rolex Dealer authentication.

So what you bought was boxed but no papers?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Stoat

The serial card was missing

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by rmcsilva
    You can find several of them for prices ranging from 3650 euros to 3900 euros on chrono24:

Good luck!

Rui
    Is it just me or do these seem suspiciously cheap? It could just be the exchange rate, but I seem to recall some sort of "issue" about buying from Italy.

Quote Originally Posted by rmcsilva

Good luck!

Rui
    Italy, I think we have had a whole thread on and I wouldn't buy from there again sight unseen.

OK, I am pleased you have bought for good prices at a little over £4k for a full set 2004 and and little under for an incomplete watch - the lack of card/papers for me would have put this at around £3500 or less though.

Sure you can find one of watches every now and again and I have bought great deals in the past - but generally good quality SD's are not that cheap and I doubt many will be as cheap as they currently are for much longer.

At the end of the day I'd pay a couple of hundred more for piece of mind and knowing I had the right watch - it is not a small decision - it's thousands of pounds.

OK, I am pleased you have bought for good prices at a little over £4k for a full set 2004 and and little under for an incomplete watch - the lack of card/papers for me would have put this at around £3500 or less though.
    An interesting term - "Incomplete watch"..............

The only item missing from the full set, was the Serial Card. Taking your valuation of the watch without that card, against the general thoughts (on this thread at least) of cost of a mint watch with full documentation of £4300-£4400 - seems to indicate a Serial Card worth of £800-£900 :shock:

I'm fairly new to this forum, but have read a lot of threads - getting the impression that there is a large proportion of members advocating the wearing of watches, rather than for collecting/investment - so the importance of singular items from the documentation/accessories is surprising.

I don't think I'd chance buying from Italy though, and so far have limited purchases to UK (apart from new watches)

A

The only item missing from the full set, was the Serial Card. Taking your valuation of the watch without that card, against the general thoughts (on this thread at least) of cost of a mint watch with full documentation of £4300-£4400 - seems to indicate a Serial Card worth of £800-£900 :shock:

I'm fairly new to this forum, but have read a lot of threads - getting the impression that there is a large proportion of members advocating the wearing of watches, rather than for collecting/investment - so the importance of singular items from the documentation/accessories is surprising.

I don't think I'd chance buying from Italy though, and so far have limited purchases to UK (apart from new watches)

A
    General consensus on later (sapphire) sports models is add 25% for original warranty papers / card, so your example above is near enough spot on. And if you think that's bad, try 40-50% extra for a B&P (double punched) vintage Sub or SD :shock:

A
    When you say 'Serial Card', do you mean the Warranty Card? (ie the modern equivalent to the 'punched' warranty paper).

For what it's worth, this is the only part of the full set/b&p which has any real additional value. The rest (boxes, manual, calendars etc etc) can all be replaced relatively easily.

The serial card was missing
    Yep, so it's without papers then and probably a grey market at some stage :wink:
    A few hundred under 4k sounds about right to top end :)

I probably wouldn't go as high as 25% - but certainly around 20% is where this is at for me for loss of papers/card.

I said early last year I wouldn't pay £3k for a loose SD - I've change my mind now though ;)

Interestingly - there is an SD on SC right now, just listed, which seems a very fair price to me, so can't see it hanging around if anyone is in the market for one at less the £4k!

Even though a lot of the stuff can be replaced - they all have value and can be expensive - so box, up to £100 for example. Then you have the green hang tags that have the watch serial on, so can't be replaced. Lots of booklets and chronometer tag etc. - oh and for some, all the stickers ;)

Sea dweller is a great watch and I think a bit under rated. You have lots of views on price so I won't add to that other than to be glad I got mine at what now would be considered a great price. As has been said, compared to the DSSD the SDbis something of a bargin!

I bought one for £2440, from memory, full retail in 2005 and was very happy with it at the time - I wish I still had that exact one in my collection.

Quote Originally Posted by DWK
    Sea dweller is a great watch and I think a bit under rated. You have lots of views on price so I won't add to that other than to be glad I got mine at what now would be considered a great price. As has been said, compared to the DSSD the SDbis something of a bargin!
    I've never heard it called under rated!

i also bought new for £2440 and thought it was expensive at the time!

Quote Originally Posted by James.uk

When said under rated I meant By those not in the know...

Back to 2004 when a 16610 was £2,370 (if my memory serves me correctly) and a 16600 was £2,440, if your average bod was able to see them side by side - and I say if, because I think they were in short supply back then - he would probably have gone for the sub? That's my hunch anyway...

Mine is a 2004 too although I paid less than the new price when I bought it...better stop or I will start talking about the good old days....

Quote Originally Posted by James.uk

Back to 2004 when a 16610 was £2,370 (if my memory serves me correctly) and a 16600 was £2,440, if your average bod was able to see them side by side - and I say if, because I think they were in short supply back then - he would probably have gone for the sub? That's my hunch anyway...

Mine is a 2004 too although I paid less than the new price when I bought it...better stop or I will start talking about the good old days....
    £2350, I was just getting into watches at the time and yep you're right - you couldn't see them side by side as there was a 6 month waiting list for the Sub.

(I went the Sub BTW :lol: )

True. I had the SD first... only bought a Sub in 2009 when i heard they were changing the design. Glad i did as they have gone up £1K on what i paid!

[quote=Mr Stoat]
    Quote Originally Posted by "James.uk":3im0ut42

£2350, I was just getting into watches at the time and yep you're right - you couldn't see them side by side as there was a 6 month waiting list for the Sub.

(I went the Sub BTW :lol: )[/quote:3im0ut42]

It is funny now - but back then the price difference really made the Sub a lot more appealing. It was more expensive than the GMTII and EXPII but a fair bit cheaper than the SD.

I wish I was able to achieve discounts on Rolex back then - even now it's not great :( - thankfully not all my purchases are new watches - that is a quick way to lose a lot of money!

[quote=Omegamanic]
    Quote Originally Posted by "James.uk":3c3as4qd

It is funny now - but back then the price difference really made the Sub a lot more appealing. It was more expensive than the GMTII and EXPII but a fair bit cheaper than the SD.

I wish I was able to achieve discounts on Rolex back then - even now it's not great :( - thankfully not all my purchases are new watches - that is a quick way to lose a lot of money![/quote:3c3as4qd]

I'm almost embarrassed to admit this - at the time it was the date bubble that made me get the Sub :lol:

..[/quote]

(I went the Sub BTW :lol: )[/quote]
    Interesting, I also got into watches in 2004 and bought a 16613. Had to go to a dealer as my AD couldn't get one in for weeks. At least availability has improved a lot since then. Except Daytonas - been waiting for one for over 7 years now!

Interesting, I also got into watches in 2004 and bought a 16613. Had to go to a dealer as my AD couldn't get one in for weeks. At least availability has improved a lot since then. Except Daytonas - been waiting for one for over 7 years now!
    I did the same, watchfinder sourced me a grey market Sub as I didn't want to wait 6+ months from an AD - cost me an extra £100 over the list price which at the time I was most indignant about :lol:

I realize there may be barriers to getting the watch, but for 4300 pounds a newer and complete SD can easily be had on this side of the Atlantic. Frankly, at 4500 pounds I'd sell my "M" serial SD, which is complete with all boxes, papers, bezel protector, etc!

Just a reminder of what a bargain I got on my SD. Bought a few months ago (sans B&P) for less than 3 grand out in Asia.

Quote Originally Posted by jbravo
    I realize there may be barriers to getting the watch, but for 4300 pounds a newer and complete SD can easily be had on this side of the Atlantic. Frankly, at 4500 pounds I'd sell my "M" serial SD, which is complete with all boxes, papers, bezel protector, etc!
    Are you US based?

Yes, I'm in the USA

Quote Originally Posted by jbravo
    Yes, I'm in the USA
    I see. yes very easy to get our hands on lots of nice and fairly mint examples for prices we can usually only dream of :( - sometimes it can work out well even taking into account the shipping costs & 20% VAT - but most of the time the additional costs make it a no go.

If all you want is a seadweller to wear the box and papers really don't matter. Which is good because the watch will be cheaper.

So what if it isn't worth as much as a full set when/if you want to sell it, you paid less in the first place, the same difference will still be in place.

I'm happy to say mine gives me a lot of pleasure looking at it on my wrist as it gets the life bashed out of it, more so than taking it out of the box and just looking at it like a lot of old farts :D

But each to own and how they spend their money

Craftsman

Anyone care to outline why those Italian sourced watches are so suspect?

My M series has the card missing ,but for me its no problem (all ok confirmed by the AD that sold it, and Rolex) even know the only owner.Love it to bits, although the pull of the newer subC is getting strong....

Quote Originally Posted by peter2704
    My M series has the card missing ,but for me its no problem (all ok confirmed by the AD that sold it, and Rolex) even know the only owner.Love it to bits, although the pull of the newer subC is getting strong....
    Nothing different between a watch with or without papers - only the set is cheaper without, making it a cheaper and more accessible option for a lot of people. Of course I would always have a preference for a full set; however, where there is not too much difference then I'd buy the full set but if the price is right then I'd also buy a watch without its original warranty papers/cards.