closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rubber B for DeepSea (Photos and review added!)

Rubber B for DeepSea (Photos and review added!)

I see Rubber B now have the DeepSea strap availalbe - http://rubberb.com/en/deepsea - looks interesting as they've circumvented the fitting of the original Rolex clasp by this time providing the strap on a stainless steel buckle. Looking at the photos I reckon it might be possible to retro fit a Panerai style butterfly deployant too which would be great if possible.

They've also announced a version for the SubC (and 42mm Explorer) which might be of interest to a few of you chaps - certainly the Rubber B I've got on my 16610 is extremly comfortable, and dare I say I prefer it to a Nato :shock:

I've just spoken to Ryan at Rockefellers (the UK stockist for Rubber B) and I should hopefully being receiving my DSSD one tomorrow - I'll try and get photos up and a mini review when I get a chance.

Re: Rubber B for DeepSea (and SubC coming soon)

Good stuff !!

Looks great. I'll look forward to the review.

Which colour have you gone for?

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Sam100
    Looks great. I'll look forward to the review.

Which colour have you gone for?

Neil
    I've been boring and gone for the black :lol:

David Duggan also seems to be an official stockist - I saw the display in the window last week and went in and tried the deepsea on rubber B. The tang buckle looked and felt okay, however, the use of the OEM rolex clasp on the rest of the range really is very suave and I'm tempted to get one for my 16600. The only issue is that I love to change my natos almost daily and also whack the bracelet on quite often and if I had a rubber b, I'd lose the clasp to it and it's too much bother to be changing the clasp from the rubber B to the bracelet all the time.

Might contact puffy to see how many hundreds a new clasp would be. Or anyone have any idea where I might find a used one??

Quote Originally Posted by Snowdon
    David Duggan also seems to be an official stockist - I saw the display in the window last week and went in and tried the deepsea on rubber B. The tang buckle looked and felt okay, however, the use of the OEM rolex clasp on the rest of the range really is very suave and I'm tempted to get one for my 16600. The only issue is that I love to change my natos almost daily and also whack the bracelet on quite often and if I had a rubber b, I'd lose the clasp to it and it's too much bother to be changing the clasp from the rubber B to the bracelet all the time.

Might contact puffy to see how many hundreds a new clasp would be. Or anyone have any idea where I might find a used one??
    You could get an unbranded oyster style bracelet from ebay and take the clasp of that - also Dunc (Wingstun) recomended the slightly shorter GMT clasp (shorter as no diver's extension) as it didn't look quite so obtrusive.

The Deepsea rubber suits it really well. I'll be interested to see your photos when it arrives.

Master

That's really nice, if only I still had my DSSD so I could buy one :(

hmm....still not convinced. I feel that all Rolex divers look at their best on steel bracelets.
    I would really like to see some "real life" pics once you receive the strap.

Okay chaps, it's here so it's time for some photos, comparisions, and a mini review!!

The strap arrived today from Rockefellers and the initial impression is very good - the same soft and flexible rubber as used on the 16610 version, which to me seems to be odour free. The styling is very similar to the submariner version with the except that the lug ends "wing" out to the width of the case lugs (rather than sit between them), but it has the same fitted into the case appearance between the lugs. Of course the main difference is the use of a stainless steel buckle rather than having to reuse the Rolex clasp - something I much prefer.

The strap on arrival ...

Preparing the DSSD, if you've ever tried to remove the bracelet it's a 'mare of a job - you really do need three hands as the end links are so substantial and such a precise fit that you can't just wiggle them out after releasing one end of the springbar :evil: The gouge in the desk is where I buried the Bergeon into it trying to get the first springbar out :roll: :lol:

The strap fits precisely into the lug gap, then tapers down to a very comfortable 22mm at the buckle end - this is making it feel very very comfy on the wrist as against the very narrow 18mm of the OEM bracelet. In fact the RubberB seems to support the weight of the head much better due to the extra width and the watch no longer feels head heavy or prone to lolling about on the wrist unless you had the bracelet really tight.

Fitting was really straight forward, so some shots of the strap on the wrist ...

Compared to the Rubber B for the submariner you'll notice here how the Sub strap sits entirely between the lugs but the DSSD flares out to cover the lugs too - a nice touch and makes it seem a little more integrated ...

So all in all ... I love it :D

It seems to negate the head heavy issues of wearing the DSSD on the OEM bracelet, IMHO it gives a very integrated and clean look to the watch, and the quality of the strap and buckle are what I found with the submariner version - excellent.

Craftsman

Re: Rubber B for DeepSea (Photos and review added!)

looks great mate, thanks for sharing :)

Excellent, I like it very much! Finally a good solution to the infamous OEM bracelet.....

Quote Originally Posted by WingTsun
    I think they had to flare at the lugs as they recognised that 21mm was going to look as silly as the bracelet does. Looks like they're effectively made it about 27-29mm at the widest point?
    Yep Dunc, quick measure shows 27mm at the widest point - as you say to allow for it to taper to something wider than the 18mm bracelet.

Sitting here wearing it the main thing I'm noticing is that I no longer notice I'm wearing a DSSD if that makes sense - sits so much nicer on the wrist and the weight is better distributed.

Craftsman

I have to agree, the only fault I have with my DSSD is the weight of the head pulling on the narrow strap at the back.

I like the look of that rubber!!

Thanks for the pics Bud :wink:

I would imagine rubber 'grips' the wrist better than a bracelet thus balancing the weight of the watch head.

Looks good.

Lovely, I must get one for mine. How much are they?

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Sam100
    Lovely, I must get one for mine. How much are they?

Neil
    £220ish from Rockefeller including delivery - I gawped at the cost (as I did when I got the submariner one) but in reality it's on par with a OEM rubber strap from Omega / Brietling etc. Having worn it for most of the day now it's the best money I've ever spent on a strap - I can see my DSSD getting a lot more wrist time now :wink:

Craftsman

I think they look OK and the fit seems excellent, but I prefer this watch on a steel bracelet.

Anyone here brave enough to go for the Red Devil variant?

That extra width and thickness of the rubber really balances out the DSSD a lot more than the bracelet. Very impressed with that, looks really good quality.

Rubber B for DeepSea (Photos and review added!)

Looks great. I understood you had to use the clasp from the bracelet though? Do they all come with a buckle?

Blighmy I thought I was 'comfortable' but you guys must be cake'd. $250 for a moulded rubber strap !!! Am I the only one that thinks that's expensive?

Quote Originally Posted by london lad
    Blighmy I thought I was 'comfortable' but you guys must be cake'd. $250 for a moulded rubber strap !!! Am I the only one that thinks that's expensive?
    Hanging of what is now a £8k watch it seems cheap :lol:

I know what you mean though - but in reality it's similar pricing to a Panerai / Omega / Brietling rubber strap. Okay it's not made by Rolex but it is purpose made for Rolex (and I doubt Pan / Omega / Brietling are making there own straps either). It took me a while before purchasing the submariner one as it did seem awfully expensive compared to a generic rubber strap or even an Isofrane ... but just to have it fitted into the case rather than the unslightly (IMHO) gap was what tipped the scales.

Can't argue there. It does look a quality item and a perfect fit.

Dunno mate, there are OEM rubber straps out there for a lot more. The Omega PloProf 600m replacement rubber is about the same price and also comes with a simple tang buckle. If Rolex made and sold this I don't think you'd get much change from £500.
    .... and they'd have a price increase to £600 next week :lol:

Banned
    Blog Entries

That strap is great, and the fit almost makes me want to buy a DSSD and jettison the bracelet.

Master

Dunno mate, there are OEM rubber straps out there for a lot more. The Omega PloProf 600m replacement rubber is about the same price and also comes with a simple tang buckle. If Rolex made and sold this I don't think you'd get much change from £500. And TBH, most people who own a £7k watch hate the thought of sticking it on a £20 strap. Even if the strap could be sold for £20 they'd probably much rather pay at least £200 for it so it feels right. :D
    Last year I bought an Omega Ploprof black rubber for £125 from an AD, have they doubled ??? !!!!!

maseman

Thanks for the review and info on the Rubber B. It has definately got me interested in buying one myself. They are terribly expensive but would be worth it if my DSSD got more wrist time. Recently bought an OEM rubber for my smp and been impressed with the comfort of a quality rubber strap. Can't scratch them either!

Is it stranger to consider a £10 strap to fit on a £8k watch or wanting to pay £220 for a non oem rubber strap?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/22mm-Marin...item2a1d5829d2

Master

Brilliant post Rich - I want one :thumbup:

Being hamfisted,I'd need someone to fit it for me though

BTW it's been an absolute age since the last GTG...

That looks brilliant, you can't beat the comfort of a rubber strap.

Ross

Well - I wasn't expecting to like a rubber strap on the Deepsea (or the Submariner)........... :?

But have to admit that I do :)

Seems to make the Deepsea case look a little bit smaller.

A

Brilliant.
    I got one but was unable to remove the bracelet.
    So, tried it one of the LE PVD DSSD :o
    Am sorry if the pic breaks any rules.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal
    Well - I wasn't expecting to like a rubber strap on the Deepsea (or the Submariner)........... :?

But have to admit that I do :)

Seems to make the Deepsea case look a little bit smaller.
    A
    I've always thought the head of the DSSD seems to look massive compared to the actual measurements (it's only a 43mm watch afterall) and that IMHO is down to the overly slim bracelet ... the Rubber B seems to negate that and the impression on the wrist is of a smaller and better proportioned watch.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterM
    Brilliant post Rich - I want one :thumbup:

Being hamfisted,I'd need someone to fit it for me though

BTW it's been an absolute age since the last GTG...
    I've been wearing the DSSD for a week now which is unusual for me, but it's considerably more comfortable to wear on the wider strap and dare I say it ... the DSSD makes for a great daily wearer :shock:

GTG sounds good Peter, and all those extra hands and Bergeons should be able to sort your DSSD out :wink: :lol:

I really like the look of that Rubber B. I have tried on the DSSD a couple of times and found it to wear too big. Its totally disproportionate to the bracelet.
    As mentioned the bracelet should have been larger to balance the head. I have owned many 44mm watches and the DSSD totally failed the first hurdle.
    Now there is a decent alternative to the skinny bracelet. The DSSD may be a wearable watch.
    Thanks for the post. OP

Master

Quote Originally Posted by mylofitz
    Thanks for the review and info on the Rubber B. It has definately got me interested in buying one myself. They are terribly expensive but would be worth it if my DSSD got more wrist time. Recently bought an OEM rubber for my smp and been impressed with the comfort of a quality rubber strap. Can't scratch them either!

Is it stranger to consider a £10 strap to fit on a £8k watch or wanting to pay £220 for a non oem rubber strap?

looks like he has a couple of variants

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/22mm-High-gra ... 2710wt_986

Looks the business an much better proportions than the bracelet, which like others has always put me off owning one.

So even Rolex can learn something from an upstart like B&R :wink: :D (notwithstanding that fact that it's not OEM)

Quote Originally Posted by toastie
    Quote Originally Posted by mylofitz

looks like he has a couple of variants

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/22mm-High-gra ... 2710wt_986
    The downside to me on those ones is they fit between the lugs (21mm) then taper down to something even smaller - possibly mirroring the size of the OEM bracelet which is just too slim for the overall size of the watch.

Of course the upside is they cost 8 quid :)

Quote Originally Posted by darrenw
    Looks the business an much better proportions than the bracelet, which like others has always put me off owning one.

So even Rolex can learn something from an upstart like B&R :wink: :D (notwithstanding that fact that it's not OEM)
    What I'd like Rolex to learn (or a secondary supplier) is that a oyster style bracelet that doesn't taper at all to the clasp (straight 21mm) would be huge seller for the DSSD ... not much chance of it happening but if it did I'd buy one in a flash!

Master

Hi, works well, I bit the bullet and bought one, agree that it helps the feel of the watch on the wrist and is more balanced,
    BUT, beware big wristed blokes, it's too small !!! My wrist is about 8" and the end of the strap just pokes out about 1mm from the first (fixed) keeper and the second keeper is totally redundant. If you wanted to dive with it you'd have to change it back to the bracelet !!!
    Overall the fit and finish are top quality but if your wrist is over 8" forget it.

maseman

Master

Just looked at their website - they claim 8 3/4 " !!
    As i said, I'm about 8" and on the second last hole, if you go to the last hole no part of the end of the strap fits under the keeper.
    It just sort of flops out the buckle at a jaunty angle.
    I've emailed them, be interesting to see what they say. After all, i'd wager it's mostly bigger wristed blokes that buy Deep Seas.

maseman

Master

Great review. Very tempted now :shock:

Quote Originally Posted by maseman
    As i said, I'm about 8" and on the second last hole, if you go to the last hole no part of the end of the strap fits under the keeper.
    I've emailed them, be interesting to see what they say. After all, i'd wager it's mostly bigger wristed blokes that buy Deep Seas.

maseman
    Strange, my wrist is 7.75 inch and you can see how much strap I have poking through - do you wear your watch quite loosely?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Stoat

maseman
    Strange, my wrist is 7.75 inch and you can see how much strap I have poking through - do you wear your watch quite loosely?
    No, still tight enough that if I take it off I can see marks on my skin and the watch does not move about al all
    How long is your end with the holes ?
    Measuring from the back from spring bar to tip I'm coming in at 11 and a half cm

maseman

Master

Not to sound like an OCD freak :D

But will the lugs not get marked by the tapered strap...? Like the case does on a PO+Rubber combo, only you will see it when its back on the bracelet?

There is a new manufacturer with a similar rubber strap for Rolex, Everest Bands. They are now on "pre-order" phase and are a bit cheaper ($185, including shipping).

http://everestbands.com/

I´m thinking about getting one. They look really nice!

The everest bands are silicon rubber. Supposed to be antibacterial and non sticky. Taking them an awful long time to get them out for sale. I'm still trying to build up the courage to buy a rubber strap for £220.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Stoat

maseman
    No, still tight enough that if I take it off I can see marks on my skin and the watch does not move about al all
    How long is your end with the holes ?
    Measuring from the back from spring bar to tip I'm coming in at 11 and a half cm

maseman
    Just had a quick measure and my wrist is just over 7.5" and the long tail is 11.5 cm. A comfortable fit, but not too tight, for me is the middle hole so that leaves + or - an inch for the maximum or minimum size.

That said, you're right in that the maximum length would mean no strap going into the keep so working on that basis I reckon the strap will go to 8.25" (based on using the penultimate hole) which is pretty much in line with your thinking.

Craftsman

Cool

very much like the look of this... good job

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    wow, what a difference that strap has made, the extra 'flare' really makes it

Great pick up, I personally much prefer the Rubber B strap to the everest version for the baove reason

I like the look of those for my sub. Can you buy them from Rubber B direct? They are only $220 on their site....that's cheaper even with postage?