closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: I Like Bar Soap

I Like Bar Soap

Well, I do. It doesn't make me less of a man, I'll have you know. All that liquid stuff leaves oil over whatever bit of one's body one happens to wash.
    What I want is a bar soap that leaves my hands and face squeaky clean. And that does not cost a fortune. I used to buy from Truefitt & Hill but they're a bit out of my league these days. Saw a nice bar in Selfridge's website for £25... Yes, right.
    Any ideas?

Craftsman

Re: I Like Bar Soap

Try Pears soap

I do; it's not good enough but does if needs must. I use Bodyshop stuff too, but still it's not of the 'squeaky clean' variety. It has moisturiser in.

Good point.

I used to be a great fan of Pears. This is now made in south asia from a cocktail of chemicals that would put Porton Down on alert.

Latest acceptable substitute is Kings & Queens Soap (various versions) about £4 from Waitrose or Amazon.

In order to steer this thread away from the shoals of woofterdom, may I suggest perusing these products in a suitably manly fashion http://www.carbolicsoap.com/bar-soap...90e52bd3e8d646

A great site that. Except shipping to the UK is £35. :|

Wright's Coal Tar soap no longer contains coal tar :( .

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    Wright's Coal Tar soap no longer contains coal tar :( .

Eddie

That's proper good 5hit Eddie used with a dryish loofa. Mrs B hates the stuff as it turns the shower yellow

Wrights Coal Tar is for cissies ... What you need is good old fashioned CARBOLIC SOAP http://www.amazon.co.uk/FALCON-CARBOLIC ... 960&sr=8-2 ... when I was a lad at school our teachers supervised us washing out hands several times daily with carbolic to avoid transmission of typhoid fever ... during the epidemic there were no typhoid cases at my school.

I imagine it gets you so squeaky clean that it might even compromise your immune system!! And you'll end up smelling like an old fashioned hospital - where they used carbolic acid based disinfectants.

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

You try getting coal tar stuck down yer japs. Then it makes it burn when you have a wee

Then we will see who's a cissy.

reminded me of a guy at work who's obsessive with the Lynx after work....so we got to his shower and took the rose apart, filled it with bisto granules....then put it back together :twisted:
    hey presto, a gravy shower!, he reckons his dog kept licking him all evening, even after the lynx :D
    chortle chortle!

Quote Originally Posted by Bristolian
    Good point.

I used to be a great fan of Pears. This is now made in south asia from a cocktail of chemicals that would put Porton Down on alert.

Latest acceptable substitute is Kings & Queens Soap (various versions) about £4 from Waitrose or Amazon.

In order to steer this thread away from the shoals of woofterdom, may I suggest perusing these products in a suitably manly fashion http://www.carbolicsoap.com/bar-soap...90e52bd3e8d646
    I've put an order in for 5 different samples to see what they're like.

The soap I come into contact with most, and which I loathe, is Dove. It's so oily I need another soap to clean Dove from my hands.

Quote Originally Posted by blackie
    You try getting coal tar stuck down yer japs. Then it makes it burn when you have a wee

Then we will see who's a cissy.

Isn't that Alex's normal ablution technique ?
    Cheers..
    Jase

Just avoid dropping it in the communal showers at Strangeways branch of David Lloyds

Master

Pine Tar Soap!
    Good stuff - squeaky clean

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200G-Jabon...item4399d47db8

Thanks for that, I may give it a go. I find the lazy option is obviously Wright's and the German equivalent, Speick. Our local Spanish supermarket has carbolic soap in huge bars which are sold as a laundry detergent; I get a bar every now and again and it seems fine to me.

If you're looking for something a little more fragrant there is a fantastic Portuguese soap maker called Confianca but unfortunately their stuff is not widely available outside Portugal. I'm very fond of their O Melhor shaving soap which is actually black.
    http://www.confiancasoaps.com/index.php
    http://www.confiancasoaps.com/catalo...cat=239&id=191
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Knock yourself out...

http://connaughtshaving.com/bathbody.html

http://www.trumpers.com/index.cfm (use the product drop down for bath & hand soaps)

love wright's coal tar but can't get it in spain.
    now use la toja which has a nice clean smell

I get mine, (lavender scented), from T K Max.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

What's wrong with a bit of moisturiser in a soap? Won't you end you end up with a face like a scrotum otherwise if you use it for any length of time?

This stuff is awesome, leaves any part SQUEAKY clean and without that feeling of soapy residue. Not overly pricey, but not cheap.

Sold as a face soap, its very good on greasy skin but its also a good all rounder. I use it all over now, highly recommend it.

https://www.lush.co.uk/product/89/Coalface-Cleanser

And it contains actual coal!

I use this everyday in the shower.

Lovely stuff and it lasts for months.

Looks tacticool in black too :D

Might order a bar of the ebay offering though

Quote Originally Posted by Dast
    What's wrong with a bit of moisturiser in a soap? Won't you end you end up with a face like a scrotum otherwise if you use it for any length of time?
    It feels wrong and poncy. I want to feel clean. Moisturiser is just so wrong for men.

I still rate good old Imperial Leather but also use Tea-tree-oil based soaps for their disinfectant properties. 8)

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring
    Quote Originally Posted by Dast
    It feels wrong and poncy. I want to feel clean. Moisturiser is just so wrong for men.
    When you work outside all day there's not wrong with a good slathering of E45 lotion to stop your skin cracking up...... 8)

I use E45, but not on my hands or face...

Master

This thread reminded me of a recent traumatic event. I also prefer a bar of soap to liquid soap and many hotels these days only provide liquid soap. I usually grab the little bars whenever I can and keep them in my sponge bag to make sure I have hard soap (due to staying away a fair bit).

I was in Paris for a trade show a couple of months ago and staying in the same hotel for 3 nights .
    So I thought I would grab a bar of soap from home and take it with me, there is a basket full on the bathroom windowsill kindly provided by the Mrs. I spotted a smallish bar that I thought would do and popped it in the bag.

Over to Paris, built the show stand and went out for the customary massive skinful. Up in the morning in a somewhat weakened state and ready for a nice shower. The soap didn't lather very well which I attributed to the local water, so I put in an extra couple of vigorous applications. Out of the shower and over to the sink for a shave.

One look in the mirror and all became clear. I was completely covered in a layer of sparkly pearlescent make up like a cross between Lady Ga Ga and Lily Savage. I scrubbed and scrubbed my face to try to get rid of it but it wouldn't come off properly and I had to go to the show with a fair trace of it still there. The rest of me was covered in it.

All the day people were looking closely at me and when one of our crew went to get some supplies from the local shops he asked me if I wanted him to get me some lipstick. The whole stand was covered in glitter that I was shedding. All rather distressing. :shock:

Moral of the story is; don't trust the soap at home if you have a teenage daughter in the house.

Craftsman

My one vice is the Soaps from Lush, not very manly I know but I just cannot help myself.
    Favourites are 'Honey I shrunk the Kids' and 'Rockstar'.

There are 2 other bars of soap that I will use but can only get it from Sainsburys in Swindon. It has bits of shell and nut grit that really hurt in a good way

Master

I like using bars of soap but I like a bit f moisturiser in them. Only a small amount, and dove is one of my preferred brands,

I used to use Wrights (it maybe stems from being bathed in diluted Dettol as a lad once a week) but the supermarket no longer stock it, so I moved onto tea tree bars. Great link to the carbolic soap bars above, I've bought 12 of them - my wife turned her nose up in horror at the thought (should be worth the money alone!).

Good story Jim, made me smile! Something similar happened with me and my eldest daughter's glitter products.

Master

The OP is mekin us Donny lads look a rate bunch o nancies. In my day we'd used wash liquid. :)

Soap is soap.

Ha. I my day it were Vim.

I feel a bit silly with my suggestion of weleda bars.
    I used to love the smell of the bars my gran used to get from Spain.
    Magno and heno de pravia

Here's the sample I ordered from the Carbolic Soap Co. I'll open one of them tomorrow to see if it's any good.

Image taken with my new Galaxy S3.

The MR-G watch is the last watch I bought from SC. All but mint when I got it, it isn't now Great beater though the chrono subdial is stupidly small and not divided into 3 6 9. Need a loupe to read it. I still think it's great.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring
    Ha. I my day it were Vim.
    :shock: Ouch!

Nothing more vain than resurrecting one's own thread...
    I'm currently using up the second and last bar of carbolic. Good soap as such, lasts for ages but every time I go into the bathroom I come out with a headache. It is seriously odiferous. The Pine Tar soap shown in the pic above is just as bad.
    The best of those soaps is the Pears Hypoallergenic. Clean-smelling and non-oily performance. I will buy more.
    I did quite like the Irish Spring but it's hard to find and expensive since it's imported.

I get my soap bars free from the hotel rooms we stay in, we get a variety and it is usually good stuff.

If you want a proper man soap get the Molton Brown bar with "bits" in it, you will walk out of the shower like you have had a fight with a CAT!!!

I had one bought for me at Xmas and it is still in the bathroom................

Quote Originally Posted by gilford View Post
    If you want a proper man soap get the Molton Brown bar with "bits" in it, you will walk out of the shower like you have had a fight with a CAT!!!

I had one bought for me at Xmas and it is still in the bathroom................

The cheaper version!

Used to work with someone who (as a hobby) made his own. Isn't difficult and plenty of instructions online.

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    Nothing more vain than resurrecting one's own thread...
    I'm currently using up the second and last bar of carbolic. Good soap as such, lasts for ages but every time I go into the bathroom I come out with a headache. It is seriously odiferous. The Pine Tar soap shown in the pic above is just as bad.
    The best of those soaps is the Pears Hypoallergenic. Clean-smelling and non-oily performance. I will buy more.
    I did quite like the Irish Spring but it's hard to find and expensive since it's imported.

I also use rhe carbolic soap company though from my experience I love the Granpa's Pine tar and have been using it all the time since I discovered it. I like the smoky smell.

Thought you meant soap bar, could've been an awkward comment

Quote Originally Posted by BRGS View Post
    This thread reminded me of a recent traumatic event. I also prefer a bar of soap to liquid soap and many hotels these days only provide liquid soap. I usually grab the little bars whenever I can and keep them in my sponge bag to make sure I have hard soap (due to staying away a fair bit).

I was in Paris for a trade show a couple of months ago and staying in the same hotel for 3 nights .
    So I thought I would grab a bar of soap from home and take it with me, there is a basket full on the bathroom windowsill kindly provided by the Mrs. I spotted a smallish bar that I thought would do and popped it in the bag.

Over to Paris, built the show stand and went out for the customary massive skinful. Up in the morning in a somewhat weakened state and ready for a nice shower. The soap didn't lather very well which I attributed to the local water, so I put in an extra couple of vigorous applications. Out of the shower and over to the sink for a shave.

One look in the mirror and all became clear. I was completely covered in a layer of sparkly pearlescent make up like a cross between Lady Ga Ga and Lily Savage. I scrubbed and scrubbed my face to try to get rid of it but it wouldn't come off properly and I had to go to the show with a fair trace of it still there. The rest of me was covered in it.

All the day people were looking closely at me and when one of our crew went to get some supplies from the local shops he asked me if I wanted him to get me some lipstick. The whole stand was covered in glitter that I was shedding. All rather distressing. :shock:

Moral of the story is; don't trust the soap at home if you have a teenage daughter in the house.

Ha, ha, ha. Brilliant. I rarely burst out laughing but this did the trick

I bought 12 bars of pink carbolic soap, I'm sure after reading this original thread. Still working my way through it. I've tried Dettol and Faith in Nature scented soaps, but nothing tops carbolic (in the absence of coal tar that is).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve748 View Post
    I get my soap bars free from the hotel rooms we stay in, we get a variety and it is usually good stuff.
    Cant be doing with hotel bar soaps - most of them seem to be very oily.

In hotels for the last 25 years - 3 or 4 nights a week - I ended up taking my own stuff and have been for about 24 years.

Got it off to a fine art now.

Just bought some pine tar and carbolic and the clear Pears from that site.

Will give them a try - much cheaper than Amazon.

Good one Glamdring

B

Banned
    You Nancy's

A wire brush and dettol is all you need. Get some granny spit on a dry flannel and rub till the skin comes off.

Soap it's for wusses.

Redken Acid Cleanse Soap Bar, but now impossible to get here for reasonable money..

Got my sister in law to bring some over from the states.

You can shave with it and wash your hair and ph balanced and smells great.

My friends dad used to always use it when we where kids and always loved it.

http://m.redken.com/products/mens/sk...-cleansing-bar

Banned
    The best bar is Bar Rafaeli

but the stuff from L'Occitane is pretty good too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Used to work with someone who (as a hobby) made his own. Isn't difficult and plenty of instructions online.
    I have never tried making my own, but in the mountains near where I live we have lots of hippie types who do, they come down to the town and sell all their handmade stuff in the local markets.

And I gotta admit, I love their handmade soaps, yes they are presented sometimes in a poncey kinda way with dried flowers and stuff, but its great, lathers really well,gets you proper squeaky clean and lasts a long time too.

The green tea flavour is my favourite, but the tea tree oil one is pretty good too.

The really ironic thing is that the hippies selling this stuff always look like they need a good bath so its not really a great selling point. However, this handmade soap is so far superior to anything you can find in the supermarket, I rather suspect that these hippies bathing habits are actually greater than those of us who live in civilisation.
    Last edited by Meinessex; 8th September 2013 at 09:05.