closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Simple dress chronograph

Master

Simple dress chronograph

I am searching for a simple dress chrono, much along the bell and ross 123 line but far less expensive. I would like about 38MM, stainless bracelet, and hand wind so it can be slim in height. Simple classic dial, Any ideas?

Re: Simple dress chronograph

Have you looked at the Max Bill range from Junghans? A little over 38mm at 40mm exc crown.

http://www.chronomaster.co.uk/max_bi...ic_watches.htm

Craftsman

Speedmaster reduced? Its automatic but....

-OD

Master

CWC 1970s Chrono Reissue - review http://www.wristwatchreview.com/2012...itary-watches/

29 jewel handwind modified Valjoux 7760 bicompax, around £800 from Silvermans.

Strela?

Master

When I saw the title I thought of the JLC Master Chrono, but it's a bit over the mentioned budget here. One of the watches I'd really like to have.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK
    Strela?
    Especially the white dialled one on a brown crocodile strap. :)
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Chronograph and dress?
    That's not a possible combination.

I think you are looking for a clean chronograph without turning bezel, lots of text etc.

Not a manual wind, but inexpensive when found second hand (I've seen sub £800) and very thin for an automatic (11mm ish)

Longines Flagship Chronograph

What about a Breitling Top Time with two sub dials instead of three? Ollech and Wajs do a version of it which won't cost the Earth too.

Can I ask why a chronograph?

I rarely find myself in a situation on a restaurant our dinner party etc where I need to time anything precisely.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Strela, along with many other Russian 3133 chronos, are a good call. Most are 38.5mm diameter, and obviously hand-wind too.

regards,
    Nick

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp

I rarely find myself in a situation on a restaurant our dinner party etc where I need to time anything precisely.

:mrgreen:

A ´dress chrono´ is a contradictio interminus. Just like ´simple´ and ´chrono´ which is only relative to more busy looking chronos.

A simple understated, humbly dimensioned, white dialed time only wristwatch is already a compromise.
    Anything beyond may have become ´accepted´ but is no more ´dress´ than jeans.

If one feels the need to get time so accurately into ´dress´ that a chrono is asked for, the proposed original :!: Strela is :bounce:

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla

A ´dress chrono´ is a contradictio interminus. Just like ´simple´ and ´chrono´ which is only relative to more busy looking chronos.

A simple understated, humbly dimensioned, white dialed time only wristwatch is already a compromise.
    Exactly my point, 'cilla!

I think we all know what is meant by the term.

Surely the answer has to be to go vintage.
    Just about none of the vintage chronos were more than 38mm, they were all handwind, they would all fit under a cuff and they are significantly less expensive than anything new, even if you factor in a good service.
    You can't buy a time-only Glycine or Hamilton of any type for what I paid for this

And it's lovely (but only 36mm :wink: )

Dave

Master

Quote Originally Posted by sweets
    I think we all know what is meant by the term.

Surely the answer has to be to go vintage.
    Just about none of the vintage chronos were more than 38mm, they were all handwind, they would all fit under a cuff....
    Dave
    Very nice, that one, Dave!

Well, apart from the size, I'd argue for a modern Speedy Pro, on leather, for the same reasons:

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard

As we have arrived at the black dialed :roll: Speedmaster as the dresser chrono it is clear that the House of WiS-dom has been taken off the foundations. Again :wink:
    A bit weird though; I expected the Daytona to turn up on page one. It must be an all time low record for Rolex.

As we have arrived at the black dialed :roll: Speedmaster as the dresser chrono it is clear that the House of WiS-dom has been taken off the foundations. Again :wink:
    A bit weird though; I expected the Daytona to turn up on page one. It must be an all time low record for Rolex.
    Yes, the lack of Rolex in this thread puzzled me as well.
    However, Omega seems to have done a good job in reaching the minds of the WIS... :wink: :roll:

Maybe no Daytona because he said:-

along the bell and ross 123 line but far less expensive

Yes, the lack of Rolex in this thread puzzled me as well.
    However, Omega seems to have done a good job in reaching the minds of the WIS... :wink: :roll:
    Well considering the OP asked for sub Bell & Ross prices, I can see why the Daytona has not come up...

Master

Look at the EBEL range, some very slim elegant watches some of which have the Zenith el-primero movements, all-be-it under their own code. From memory look for the 137 movements.
    Cracking quality but beware servicing charges :shock:

Has been suggested already:

Master

some great ideas, the CWC is a favorite of mine but I like bracelets. I think I am going to take a look at the strelas and the vintage idea - I've had the various size speedmasters, looking for something a little more subdued. The early rolex chronographs would be just the ticket, except I would have to sell my car to get one. Any more ideas?

Not sure what your price limit is but Baume & Mercier do some very nice dress chronos. I think that some are ETA rather than 7750 based so not too thick either.

Another vote for the jaeger lecoultre, great watch and on my wish list.

Simple dress chronograph

Depends on the quality of the dinner party...

If you've blown all your ready cash on a dress watch, you might want to accurately time how long the pizza boy takes to deliver, then you can get it free if it's over 30 minutes.

:-)

Journeyman

Since you asked for a 38mm watch, maybe the Speedmaster reduced is an idea.

I agree with Dave (Sweets) that vintage is the way to go, mainly because most modern chronographs are oversized and because you'll get far more for your money.

This would be my choice, a Movado Datron from the early 70's with the brilliant Zenith El Primero movement (the full, adjusted, 31 jewel version in this particular example). They're 37.5mm minus crown but despite being an auto they're thin so they fit under cuffs easily.

Cheers,
    Gary

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by spluurfg

Well considering the OP asked for sub Bell & Ross prices, I can see why the Daytona has not come up...

Well considering he mentioned 38 mm and the Speedmaster came up, I fail to see your argument.

Anywhatever; a chrono is neither simple nor dress.

Translating it to as dressy and as simple as possible would give a smallish, no rotating bezel, white/cream dialed, uncluttered two subdials, flat (handwind) one.

Like this 3133 engined Strela homage:

Thé thing to do however is the wear a pocket watch chrono and a véry cool classy understated one is the unbranded 2MF CK28

Check out the IWC Portuguese chrono. Even tho an auto it sits better on the wrist than any other chrono bar Patek. It's had work done on it to make it much flatter than your standard 7750. Try it on before you buy anything else. With various dials and hands.

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas
    Check out the IWC Portuguese chrono.
    Even more understated with black numerals, blue hands.
    It is over specified size and - budget though.

Master

the strela is a good idea, from a couple of members - I think I will look for a vintage example on ebay. In the meantime I bought this to tide me over:

which from what I understand last sold on TZ-UK sometime last year.

...that rotary looks great, if you bought it on ebay last week I was bidding on that one too!

I have a black dialled strela but I think I need to get a while/silver dial one as a result of this thread!

Master

I got this one from a seller on a military watch board over here in the states. The only thing I dislike about the strela's is the date on the dial, I found someone selling replacement dials without a date - interesting.

Master

This is quite dressy.....

Cheers :)

If one feels the need to get time so accurately into ´dress´ that a chrono is asked for, the proposed original :!: Strela is :bounce:
    I have to disagree based on this picture borrowed from member fiddler69. The first suggestion of the Max Bill is just perfect.

For timing the after-dinner speaker for the table sweepstake.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shuggy
    I have to disagree based on this picture borrowed from member fiddler69. The first suggestion of the Max Bill is just perfect.
    Quite a bit larger than spec.
    Also automatic and far from thin.

But, yes it is as simple as a chrono complication with automatic complication comes.
    Besides that I have liked it a lot ever since it came out.

Now if you are into that style you might like the Ventura ones too. The limited Frutiger design is sóóó 8)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard.

For timing the after-dinner speaker for the table sweepstake.
    Of course!

Where's the slaps forehead emoticon?

Master

and also for timing how long I have to cuddle after

Before you go for anything else, pls look at teh Sinn Frankfurt editions especially the 6000 series

Well considering he mentioned 38 mm and the Speedmaster came up, I fail to see your argument.
    The Speedmaster Reduced which was mentioned is 38mm and can sometimes be found cheaper than a B&R 123. The Daytona is larger than 38mm and is 5 times more expensive than a B&R 123.

Banned
    Blog Entries

The Speedmaster Reduced which was mentioned is 38mm
    The reduced was suggested áfter the Speedmaster was hailed with the exact same observation about size :idea:

Anyway, as it is black dialed it is a NoNo anyway, but then appearantly the definition of a ´dress watch´ has been taken of it´s foundation and then basically anything goes.
    Just get it over with and get a no worries Seiko 7A28.

Your argument seems to be that if one person goes off brief it's fine for everyone else to do so. You got picked up on it, Petrus, because you used it for yet another boring dig at Rolex.

OP - how about the Guinand Flying Officer that's on SC at the moment? Good size, manual chrono. I realise that I'm pushing the boundaries of dressy with a black-faced pilots watch but it can look quite smart on the right strap.

http://guinand-watch.com/images/stories ... Offz_E.pdf

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=223104&view=unread#unread

I've always liked the Longines Avigation series. Very clean, quite small (though I think 39 mm) and available second hand for excellent prices.