closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ever let your wife/girlfriend drive your car?

Craftsman

Ever let your wife/girlfriend drive your car?

I wouldn't bother! More hassle than it's worth!

Master
    Blog Entries

Re: Ever let your wife/girlfriend drive your car?

Not since I picked up my new one. She is insured on it though as it slashed my premium, no need to let her know that though :wink: .

Master

I let my wife drive our car almost exclusively. She wasn't very experienced at driving when we met, but now after 5 years of regular driving she's become much safer.

Craftsman

My wife has never driven a single car I've owned. She's 5ft tall and I tend to ensure I buy really, really big 4x4's :-)

Barney

Craftsman

Haha! Better hope she doesn't get an interest in watches and find out ;)

There should be a rule against car sharing within a relationship. Or just one that says noone is allowed to drive mine!

Yes, complete petrol head and drives well (blue light training helps :) ).

A pleasure to be a passenger, except on the blind bends she knows better than I do
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman

I have explained to her, that owing to the 'prescription' windscreen on my side, it would damage her eyes :mrgreen:

Always if I get the chance :D

Although she always wants me to drive.

I like being a passenger, no fun in driving anymore.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I'm always asking my wife to drive as I just can't be arsed anymore. She always declines :( My car is too big and wide apparently. If we are out in her car, I always make her drive, then I can sit there and criticise her every move - much more fun :D

Note: all the scuffed wheels on her car are down to me

Craftsman

Aahhaa ha haa hah haa... stop... you're hurting me now.... :lol: :lol:

Master

Not since an ex-girlfriend completely destroyed my Range Rover within ten minutes of borrowing it.

Never again.

Unfortunately, she doesn't drive - no interest in ever doing it!

She therefore can't drive me to drink... or home again afterwards! :(

I don't have a car, 'we' have a car...

:lol:

Girlfriend steals one of my cars every day! Most days I drive in and then she takes the car. Can be a little annoying when I finish earlier or later - but saves a little on parking costs I guess.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master

I do.....
    ....but then her's is more fun. :wink:

Thankfully she hates my taste in cars and I love my little 500, which one day should grow up to be an Abarth

Craftsman

A lot of very trusting guys here. Frankly it's not worth the bum clenching nail biting stress for me. I love my car!

Quote Originally Posted by colin
    Not since an ex-girlfriend completely destroyed my Range Rover within ten minutes of borrowing it.

Never again.
    You win!

Quote Originally Posted by gunner
    Congrats on your functional relationship ;)

Master

She can drive my company cars but not those I own personally :lol: She's never that bothered though, she's not remotely into cars.

Softly, softly catchee monkey...

We chose a car together, she made sure it was family friendly (A6 estate), I made sure it ticked some boxes for me too (240bhp quattro)

Everyone's a winner... :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by tricktock

Quote Originally Posted by gunner
    Congrats on your functional relationship ;)

Master

Not a difficult one for me at all given I drive a Volvo V70 barge (a very capable car and quick enough) whereas the wife drives a 260bhp hot hatch. So far as I am concerned if she wants to use my car she is welcome to it so long as the keys to her car are readily available :D

A major stumbling block seems to be that my wife is well aware that her car is much more fun to drive and in fairness she is a good driver although I still hate being a passanger with anyone, not just the wife :lol: .

A colleague drove me to a meeting the other day and I have to say it was possibly the most traumatic journey of my life. When we got back to my car she mentiooned I was quiet, it was at that point, safe in the knowledge I had access to my own transport that I asked what date her driving test was :D :lol: She had little or no traffic awareness, rarely stayed within speed limits especially in 30 and 40 zones which is a major gripe of mine, didn't indicate often enough, manouvered without checking her mirrors or blind spots, was driving at speeds I personally don't think she was capable of handling at one point on a small B-road, tailgating, using the horn to bully other road users :shock: ..... basically a complete idiot but I already knew that!!

This is the woman that turned the wrong way on to a dual carriage way and was driving against on-coming traffic :shock: :shock: whilst she wasn't impressed with my comment I did remind her that she nearly killed herself and that in future she could sit in the passanger seat of my car as opposed to me being a passanger in hers.

She may think I am a male chauvinist pig but I'd sooner stay alive than be carted off in a box due to her inability to drive safely! Thank god she only drives a 1.5cdi Nissan Juke, she'd be dead by now if she drove anything with more power.

Paul

My wife sometimes lets me drive her car - but not too often in case I get above myself.

Master

What era are we living in? You do realise that this is the 21st century where most normal people realise that women can, indeed, drive cars?

When I got married we made a pledge that what's mine is hers and what's hers is mine. So she's allowed to drive the car and I'm allowed to wear her knickers. :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by mark a.
    What era are we living in? You do realise that this is the 21st century where most normal people realise that women can, indeed, drive cars?

When I got married we made a pledge that what's mine is hers and what's hers is mine. So she's allowed to drive the car and I'm allowed to wear her knickers. :lol:
    Are they comfy - I've often wondered?

Craftsman

NO! My wife thinks that the passenger seat is a dinner / coffee table (and so spills / leaves the debris of either on the seat), thinks the floor is the rubbish bin etc ...

Is also happy to abandon expensive vehicles just about anywhere that's convenient for her irrespective of what might occur to it e.g. left her SLK in Manchester town center overnight as she went out for a drink with colleagues - next morning ... footprints across the bonnet / roof dented / etc - NOT BOTHERED ... it's just a car

The first time that I ever cleaned her car I collected £25+ in assorted notes and change (plus a bin bag's worth of cr@p).

I've had 6 cars since we've been together and she hasn't been insured on any of them and never will.

Since she gave up company cars I've had to insure her cars of course, and so live with the prospect of her damaging my no claims - fortunately I've found an insurance company that isn't concerned about claims caused by other drivers on my other policies provided that they aren't on the policy that they are providing.

Craftsman

My ex got given a c class merc the day after passing her test at 22, I've never been so scared in my life, she pranged it the first week in London hitting a bollard. She drives more often now but I still hate getting in the car with her :shock:

Craftsman

Quite happy to let the Mrs borrow my daily driver (old 3 series BMW), as it means I get to borrow her Boxster. 8)
    She's not allowed on the insurance of the TVR though. :wink:

I am currentky in the process of training my girlfriend how to drive my very mundane company car. Once she has mastered it i will let her loose on my 911. She used to have a Merc C Class and was under the impression that the British roads were her own little race track. To be fair shes quite a capable driver just needs to relax a bit.

Craftsman

Mine reversed her SLK into a bright (and I mean bright) yellow warning bollard at a bus depot that she was visiting for work ...

Not only did she manage to hit something that was especially marked so you didn't hit it, she managed to push the rear bumper in about 3 inches (probably because the car stopped going backwards when she wanted it to ...).

The explanation given - the cloth windshield was still fitted between the head restraints blocking her view.

Craftsman

And there's more ...

Wrecked the interior of a Merc M-Class (ripped seats / gouged trim etc) bringing home an old desk from work - £100s of damage for a desk worth about a tenner!

Put unleaded in an E220 CDI (because she was on her mobile and not paying attention!) - drove 100 yards, car stops - so she rings me (200 miles away at work) to ask what to do. I guess correctly what's happen and say "stay there and call the garage", she says "no, I've got a meeting in leeds", I repeat "stay where you are" - she tells me to "**** off". Restarts the car / drives 5 miles / wrecks the engine (£4000 - fortunately the insurance paid out!).

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCansell
    And there's more ...

Wrecked the interior of a Merc M-Class (ripped seats / gouged trim etc) bringing home an old desk from work - £100s of damage for a desk worth about a tenner!

Put unleaded in an E220 CDI (because she was on her mobile and not paying attention!) - drove 100 yards, car stops - so she rings me (200 miles away at work) to ask what to do. I guess correctly what's happen and say "stay there and call the garage", she says "no, I've got a meeting in leeds", I repeat "stay where you are" - she tells me to "**** off". Restarts the car / drives 5 miles / wrecks the engine (£4000 - fortunately the insurance paid out!).

Sounds like she doesn't get on with Mercs :) maybe a challenger 2 tank would be a better option virtually indistructable and the engine will run on any fuel :wink:

Blog Entries

No.

She has her own (=company) car, doing 40K-50K yearly for her consultany business. We bought her previous car (Saab Station) from her company and she drives that one for the shop runs and holidays (has to do with the absurd taxes for CEO's driving a 'free' company car).

But, as said: No. Not in my classic cars. Not a single inch. As a bonus, she doesn't like classic cars. She will not be found in any of my classics - as a passenger or as the driver.

We fully agree on that.

Menno

Master

How else would I get home from the pub on a sunny evening ?

My wife asked the salesman if Smart cars come with reversing sensors, I actually laughed out loud...

I'd like her to drive mine, mainly to get her to understand why I love cars so much. That idea promptly fell on its head when she realised she couldn't push the clutch down on my old 911. Sort of gave up after that

I do, but preferably not when I am in it.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Master

I taught her to drive so I know that she is an excellent driver (a bit slow but don't tell her I said so!).
    Mike

Master

Picking up a new car on Tuesday.

She'll be driving it by Tuesday night. How else should I get back from the pub?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCansell
    And there's more ...

I'm sorry to say this, but are you sure she isn't retarded?

Master

I've always thrown mine in at the deep end and let her learn fast. First time she drove an auto, a big car and on the right was all in one hit - handed her the keys to a 7 series (her car is a Clio) and told her to drive off the Eurostar and get on with it.

She handled the next 400 miles marvellously.

Yes.

Even if she only takes in down the road, she seems to adjust every single thing that's possible to adjust, so it takes me about a week to regain my normal driving position :twisted:

Master

Yes the wife drives mine and my alloys and wheels suffer. Sometime chunks of tyre are missing and when I ask, she swears blind it was not here. None the less I still let her drive.

Grand Master

My missus refuses to drive my Jag XF because it's big and it's automatic....she's got a complete downer on the car :(

Paul

NO!!!!!

Extraordinary replies here, what an enlightened group we all are ... not ... :roll:

My girlfriend can drive my daily driver, frankly she's a better driver than I am. She isn't insured on the Elise but only because it's sole reason for being is track days and she isn't really interested in them.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958
    My missus refuses to drive my Jag XF because it's big and it's automatic....she's got a complete downer on the car :(

Paul
    My wife usually takes my car, because it's big, automatic and 4x4. ;) I don't mind, she drives well whatever the car. Travelling a lot on business and driving rentals all around the world probably helps.

Master

Many years ago I owned a Merc and a Toyota MR2. My wife passed her test so I told her to take the MR2 when she went to visit her parents. I was standing looking out of the window on the phone a few hours later as I saw her coming down the road. I was just wishing I had mentioned to her not to park on the drive when she swung the car round and slid it neatly into the Merc's side door. That's lovely I thought as I realised I might be making an insurance claim against myself.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tertius
    Extraordinary replies here, what an enlightened group we all are ... not ... :roll:
    On the contrary, we seem to be very enlightened indeed. The thing is that enlightenment does not necessarily equal political correctness. Reality is more complex than that. ;-)

my drink drive policy is, she drives I drink, so I have to let her, but she is a good driver. She can cry like a man when you scratch an alloy :cry:

My wife drives all of our cars , I also let the kids other than the youngest as the insurance is huge for him as he is only 18.
    Daughter has not bothered with a couple of them.