closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sales of fountain pens rising.....

Master

sales of fountain pens rising.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18071830

I use mine for making notes in a moleskin diary I keep, it makes the process seem more special and tangible. At work i use an ordinary Biro mainly because I often have to get clients to sign paperwork and i don't want to let them loose with my best pen!

I link fountain pens with the same sort of person who appreciates a mechanical watch.

regards

tim

Re: sales of fountain pens rising.....

I would never let anyone else use my pen - our writing style "distorts" the nib to fit you.

Master
    Blog Entries

I enjoy writing with fountain pens, sadly my Waterman rolled off a clients desk and knackered the nib. Fortunately I have aound £300 of Goldsmiths vouchers towards a new Mont Blanc fountain pen :D

I love fountain pens. They're not always practical to use but they're a far more tactile thing to use than a ballpoint pen. I'm surprised to hear that they are rising in popularity though. Mind you I bought a new one 6 months ago so perhaps I have slightly distorted the figures for sales. :lol:

Craftsman

This is good news, it's nice to see something like a fountain pen become more popular in this digital world. I have a few, a cheap one at work for signing documents etc. and a more expensive pair at home. They're not something I use very often (as I end up typing more than writing these days), but they are a tactile enjoyment and a throwback to a less disposable time.

Although i can appreciate the look and feel of a nice fountain pen, they are not for me. When i did have a parker one at school, as a left hooker i always found myself smudging the ink with my hand as i wrote and ending up with ink on my hand which spread everywhere. Biro all the way for me, leave the fountain pen to the weirdo right handers with their creative airy fairy brains, us logical scientific lefties can see that a 5p biro is far superior :wink: .

Brighty

I always really really wanted to love fountain pens, but I think my writing / sketching / scrawling style is not suited. I write very small and often throw diagrams and sketches in mid-sentence so for as long as I can remember I've exclusively used black Pilot V5s (and occasionally V7s if it's to be read my anyone else!). Just over a quid when you get them in bulk, last ages, robust and the ink seems to last well on the page too.

If anyone knows any similar alternatives to the Pilot I'm well up for giving it a try, but I just keep coming back to them :)

Master

another vote for the humble biro.

You use a fountain pen and a moleskine? heathen :D

My handwriting is appalling- I find a fountain pen forces me to slow down. After a year with a Pelikan and a Waterman I can now read about 75% of what I write, which is an improvement.

In my working years as a middle school/older primary teacher I always taught the kids to use fountain pens. Parents backed me (mostly) and the kids' handwriting, blots aside, was the better for it.

I remember getting my own Osmiroid with lever action when I was nine. I treasured it for years. We were taught italic style; very pretty but achingly slow to do properly so when I really needed to write quickly I abandoned it to my now-horrid style.

Quote Originally Posted by kungfugerbil
    I always really really wanted to love fountain pens, but I think my writing / sketching / scrawling style is not suited. I write very small and often throw diagrams and sketches in mid-sentence so for as long as I can remember I've exclusively used black Pilot V5s (and occasionally V7s if it's to be read my anyone else!). Just over a quid when you get them in bulk, last ages, robust and the ink seems to last well on the page too.

If anyone knows any similar alternatives to the Pilot I'm well up for giving it a try, but I just keep coming back to them :)

Worth trying a very fine but fairly stiff nib. You don't need to spend a fortune either. In fact you can do it for nowt if you want - I have a suitably nibbed Pilot 78G I don't use :D

Drop me a PM and I'll fire it off to you with a cartridge to have a play with and get you started on another slippery slope if you wish...

Quote Originally Posted by erasuretim
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18071830

I use mine for making notes in a moleskin diary I keep, it makes the process seem more special and tangible. At work i use an ordinary Biro mainly because I often have to get clients to sign paperwork and i don't want to let them loose with my best pen!

I link fountain pens with the same sort of person who appreciates a mechanical watch.
    I agree, i have a few fountain pens, (Parker, Cross, Sheaffer, and whilst i type for work, i find using a quality or pencil or pen, to be a tangible pleasure, when making notes i tend to use a Cross propelling pencil, ive tended to steer clear of Mont Blanc due to some adverse bloggs i read about them years back.
    Probably missing a good thing though.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I think as the world gets more and more high tech with phones, tablets etc etc some people (myself included) like to own and use anachronistic personal quality items.

Teaming a fountain pen with a mechanical watch is apposite IMO.

All my fountain pens are vintage too. 8)
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I always use one of these http://www.livescribe.com/en-gb/smartpen/echo/ - I wonder if it would be possible to get one with a proper nib instead of a biro insert?

If you've never tried a smartpen - you should - it's fantrastic - and I've even got the software working OK-ish in Linux too now.

I love mine. A while ago, Bea bought me a Mont Blanc Starwalker ballpoint, and I then bought the fountain pen to match. I keep them both in a leather pouch, and whilst I pretty much get zero comments about the watches I wear a lot of people have said "nice pens" or similar. A fountain pen does make writing a bit more special, I think.

I do like a nice fountain pen. For some of the same reasons I like mechanical watches. Especially my hand-finished Sailor saibi togi, which I use for drawing if I can ever find the time. The craftsmanship of the nib is superb.

Also, my handwriting is terrible and I can type much faster, but fountain pens help as I tend to be more careful and fluid. The only downsides are that as I have a few, they tend to dry out from insufficient use, which is also rather bad for them. Also the occasional ink explosion is bothersome. Happened to me today and my fingers are all black, and will probably stay that way until the weekend.

Annoyingly, we have company branded Moleskine notebooks, which means I can't use my best writing pen at work (which is the only time I do any writing) or I just end up with inky blobs instead of letters and words.

BTW, while I can't pin down any particular reason for getting interested in watches, that was definitely the gateway drug to fountain pens. A few "nice watches and nice pens" threads got me interested, then it wasn't long until I was addicted. Now I really don't like the feel of writing with a ball point so will probably never go back, except for my Space Pen, which is my backup in case my main pen runs out of ink or starts to stutter after a period of disuse.

I do almost all of my daily writing with a fountain pen, and have done for a few years now. I just prefer how they write, and my handwriting is better with them. I'll be teaching my daughter to use one when she's a little older (she's 5). Not bothered if she doesn't keep it up, but I'd like her to have learned to write with one.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

I'm a fairly late adopter, though find that my handwriting as become more legible since using. For taking fast notes though I sick with a trusty Rotring 800 pencil.

I'm currently using a Twisbi 540 R.O.C. and some green Noodlers Sequoia Green Ink.

I love writing with my fountain pen, its just a joy. In fact, its as nice to behold as a mechanical watch.

I originally bought the pen for my exams, as it slowed my writing down enough to make it legible.

I hope my children learn to write with ink, as I was taught joined up writing from an extremely fierce Irish teacher. Its a shame that with PC's and such, touch typing is probably more important.

I use a fountain pen every day, a very old and very nice Parker 51. I like the way it writes and it makes your handwriting much neater.

Blog Entries

I've used a fountain pen since my teens. I realised early on that the fountain pens slowed me down enough to be able to read what I'd written. Back then it was a Parker that saw me through my undergrad and postgrad.

Lately, (about 6 years ago & now in my 40's) I bought a Waterman Etalon - a weighty, fine nibbled fountain pen...

...which I use with CIAK notebooks for work, I love fountain pens & this combination works really well for me - as I can actually read what I've written in meetings.

My only bugbear is that my Waterman leaks when I fly - so I end up covered in blue ink when I'm overseas (unless I remember to give it a clean soon after I land). I assume it's then pressure change that results in ink being forced out of the nib? If anyone has any opinions (like My Mont Blanc doesn't do this) I'd be interested - any excuse for a new 'travel' pen.

z

I use fountain pens daily at work when writing my anaesthetic charts.
    Never had a patient comment on my watches but plenty of comments about fountain pens.

I got stopped by security at the airport last week, because I had 3 fountain pens with me. They seemed especially interested in the Parker Premier Black Edition. Either it looks really suspicious on X-ray, or the security staff like nice pens too :)

Apparently cabin pressure isn't good for fountain pens and can cause them to leak. So far this hasn't happened to me, but I've only flown with them a few times so I might have just been lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by zelig
    My only bugbear is that my Waterman leaks when I fly - so I end up covered in blue ink when I'm overseas (unless I remember to give it a clean soon after I land). I assume it's then pressure change that results in ink being forced out of the nib? If anyone has any opinions (like My Mont Blanc doesn't do this) I'd be interested - any excuse for a new 'travel' pen.
    I just noticed this comment after I made my last post. Yes, what I've read is that the lower air pressure forces the ink out. My understanding of the physics is that this should only happen if there is air in the ink cartridge, which means that refilling or installing a fresh cartridge before flying should solve the issue. Either that or it'll make a much bigger inky mess!

Master

Won't have a computer in my office ae work,write out my e-mails using a fountain pen(usually my Mont Blanc Noblesse)and give them to my secretary to send :lol:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring
    Osmiroid with lever action
    :love4: Ah! Osmiroid, the memories :love4:

At the last count I had 23 fountain pens and 22 bottles (different brands & colours) of ink. I am almost as nuts about pens as I am about watches.

I have learned several things about fountain pens along the way:

1. How well they write has nothing to do with price. Sure, a cheap pen is less likely to write well, but that is mainly down to quality control. You can fluke a fantastic writer at a very low price and a beautiful, expensive pen will not necessarily be a good writer.
    2. Just like with watches, I find the 'obvious' choices the least interesting. I have a Waterman, but find my Sailor or Pelikan much more enjoyable, for example.
    3. China make some very good pens and they are stupidly cheap. Three of my best writers and my most used are from Boaer, Hero and Lanbitou - all Chinese and all under £5
    4. My favourites are the 'enthusiast' brands (again just like watches). TWSBI pens at about £30 are just exceptional: actually better pens than the obvious brands costing ten times as much.
    5. The writing experience is about the combination of pen, ink and paper, not just one of those things. A £300 pen will be crap with crap ink writing on crap paper.

Inks vary a huge amount and suit different pens in terms of viscosity, drying time, saturation and so on. In general I find Noodler's the most versatile and reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by quoll
    My favourites are the 'enthusiast' brands (again just like watches). TWSBI pens at about £30 are just exceptional: actually better pens than the obvious brands costing ten times as much.
    I bought both my nephews a TWSBI for their birthday. I've never seen them more delighted with a gift.

Craftsman

I use Lamy Pens daily, I find they write nicer than other fountain pens they just seem to suit me for whatever reason. Cheap to buy as well.

Quote Originally Posted by zelig
    I've used a fountain pen since my teens. I realised early on that the fountain pens slowed me down enough to be able to read what I'd written. Back then it was a Parker that saw me through my undergrad and postgrad.

Lately, (about 6 years ago & now in my 40's) I bought a Waterman Etalon - a weighty, fine nibbled fountain pen...

...which I use with CIAK notebooks for work, I love fountain pens & this combination works really well for me - as I can actually read what I've written in meetings.

z
    Its often suggested that large volume piston fillers like Pelikan, or 'eye-dropper' filling types do not bleed during flights - although the only certain method is to keep your pen in your briefcase (or handbag...) or to empty it out. Ive had ballpoints leak after flying so I'm wary of this danger. Carry a pencil for the in-flight crossword.

Journeyman

Glad to see fountain pen sales are rising. It's always nice to see somebody using a quality pen just as it is to see a quality watch worn.

So, If I wanted to buy a first fountain pen.. where would I start and how much would I need to spend ?

Cheers

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by MattH
    So, If I wanted to buy a first fountain pen.. where would I start and how much would I need to spend ?

Cheers

Matt
    Not a lot needs to be spent.

I'd recommend either:

• A Pilot 78G (less than a tenner delivered off Ebay)[/*:m:1220izhu]
    • A Lamy Safari (less than £15 off Ebay)[/*:m:1220izhu]
    • TWSBI piston filler "540 Diamond" for under £45 from The Writing Desk[/*:m:1220izhu]

All worth a punt for the money - the TWSBI is very highly regarded in terms of value.

Craftsman

I used fountain pens most of the way through school (Parker 25's) and then turned to the biro etc "darkside" at uni/work.

I've rediscovered fountain pens in the last few years and write with a few of them each day. Below is the core of my collection with a Nakaya Neo Standard inbound but currently stuck with Customs. Out of current circulation I've also got a TWSBI 530, Edison Collier, vintage Conway Stewart 75 and 60 plus a MB144 and Noblesse Oblige and a couple of Lamy Safaris .

L to R: Onoto Magna 261, Nakaya Decapod, Lamy 2000, modern Conway Stewart 100, Sailor Sapporo, Pelikan M800, Sailor 1911 full size.

I hasten to add that my writing is pretty dire but at least I enjoy it :D

There was a 'phone-in about this on Radio Solent.
    I can't get on with them, although I do like to write with a decent ballpoint or fibretip. My pens are all from Cross, which I prefer to the ubiquitous Mont Blanc.

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71

Cheers

Matt
    Not a lot needs to be spent.

I'd recommend either:

• A Pilot 78G (less than a tenner delivered off Ebay)[/*:m:36zq2f9r]
    • A Lamy Safari (less than £15 off Ebay)[/*:m:36zq2f9r]
    • TWSBI piston filler "540 Diamond" for under £45 from The Writing Desk[/*:m:36zq2f9r]

All worth a punt for the money - the TWSBI is very highly regarded in terms of value.
    I always recommend the Lamy Safari as a first (or coming-back-to-after-a-long-time) pen. Medium or Fine nib. Very, very hard to beat for the money.

Had a couple of Cross FP's, lost one and wrecked the nib on another with an accidental drop :(

Currently using a Lamy Al-star for work, have a few cheapies at home which sometimes get used but are mainly there as a fall back. Father's day is coming so I'll expect a shiny something then, maybe a new journal and a couple of inks, even if I've to buy them for myself :)!

HMHB have an alternative view , along the lines of.....

There is nothing better in life than writing on the sole of your slipper with a Biro on a Saturday Night instead of going to a pub.

I bought one of these last year - Pilot Capless Carbonesque
    Quite unique and cool imo. Cetainly a bit different from all the MBs you see around (not that I have anything against them)

Quite fancy a TWSBI Diamond 540 fountain pen smoke next.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Ordered a Lamy Safari Limited Edition Apple Green today

http://www.penheaven.co.uk/lamy-safari- ... tion/p1536

Only £13 but supposedly a very nice pen to write with.

Craftsman

Cheers

Matt
    not a whole heap - lots of nice cheap pens - Lamy, Kaweco, TWSBI and others as noted above..

I'd enthusiastically recommend a TWSBI having got one of the original Diamond 530s; they're lovely things to write with, and that's as a scrawly left hander. Can't wait for them to get the next batch of Micarta's and the Mini out.. [ps - CultPens a good place to shop with fast delivery]

Craftsman

This thread is bad for my bank balance! Plus my wife will be deeply unimpressed if I start another acquisitive hobby!

Tell her it's pens or mistresses...

Quote Originally Posted by alslater
    not a whole heap - lots of nice cheap pens - Lamy, Kaweco, TWSBI and others as noted above..

I'd enthusiastically recommend a TWSBI having got one of the original Diamond 530s; they're lovely things to write with, and that's as a scrawly left hander. Can't wait for them to get the next batch of Micarta's and the Mini out.. [ps - CultPens a good place to shop with fast delivery]
    +1 for the TWSBI Diamond 530. I have quite a few pens and the TWSBI is easily the best under £200. Great design too. I was a bit disappointed with the nib at first, but after it wore in it's got a lot smoother and it's now my everyday pen. It's cheap enough that I don't get worried about leaving it in the office, but it's good enough that I don't miss my one or two better pens too much.

Quote Originally Posted by entity999
    I used fountain pens most of the way through school (Parker 25's) and then turned to the biro etc "darkside" at uni/work.

I've rediscovered fountain pens in the last few years and write with a few of them each day. Below is the core of my collection with a Nakaya Neo Standard inbound but currently stuck with Customs. Out of current circulation I've also got a TWSBI 530, Edison Collier, vintage Conway Stewart 75 and 60 plus a MB144 and Noblesse Oblige and a couple of Lamy Safaris .

L to R: Onoto Magna 261, Nakaya Decapod, Lamy 2000, modern Conway Stewart 100, Sailor Sapporo, Pelikan M800, Sailor 1911 full size.

I hasten to add that my writing is pretty dire but at least I enjoy it :D
    Where did you get the case mate?

Well, what do you know. Turns out that I do get on with fountain pens, as long as they're lightweight and with a very fine nib. See - viewtopic.php?f=12&t=225623

I fear i may have found another thing to get into :D 8)

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalVilla
    I bought one of these last year - Pilot Capless Carbonesque
    Quite unique and cool imo. Cetainly a bit different from all the MBs you see around (not that I have anything against them)

Quite fancy a TWSBI Diamond 540 fountain pen smoke next.

I have the top one in blue. Once you get used to the fact that the pen feels upsidedown due to the clip, it's brilliant. The retracting point appeals to anyone with a mechanical mind and it writes pretty well too.

Kev

I had a Sailor Professional (lovely nib), Pelikan Souverain 800 (nice pen but feels cheap) and have just pulled the trigger on a Cartier Diablo fountain pen which is beautifully finished and feels a million times nicer than the Pelikan as long as you like a finer nib.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by momentum
    This thread is bad for my bank balance! Plus my wife will be deeply unimpressed if I start another acquisitive hobby!
    Same. I had no idea I was interested until I opened this thread. :o I am just about to order one to give it a go.

I have started using them again after a looooooooong gap, I got a Parker Reflex to use at work, one of the cheaper pens but has a nice rubber grip but then found the med nib too big, so now using my vintage Parker 75 Cisele with solid Sterling Silver Barrel and solid gold fine nib.

like this one http://www.penden.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=34