closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Important notice regarding posting pictures

Journeyman

Re: Important notice regarding posting pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring
    Bear in mind that the larger the image the greater the bandwidth Eddie's site uses - and it uses a lot already, which he has to pay for.
    If you're using a photo host, they pay for the bandwidth, not Eddie.

You can post gigabytes of images, but it'll use the same amount of Eddie's bandwidth as a post with no images.

Some inage hosting websites, like TinyPic, will automatically resize the photo for you for appropriate use. E.g. message boards, 640.

Copy that :P

watchmepaul

ok

Master

Right!!! :!:

Quote Originally Posted by Pugwash
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring
    Bear in mind that the larger the image the greater the bandwidth Eddie's site uses - and it uses a lot already, which he has to pay for.
    If you're using a photo host, they pay for the bandwidth, not Eddie.

You can post gigabytes of images, but it'll use the same amount of Eddie's bandwidth as a post with no images.
    thankx for the information mate

OK and thank you

i too have problems learning photoshop...maybe ill hjust take the photo in lo-res to start with..

Another excellent free alternative to PS for this type of thing is painDOTnet: Clicky.
    Just select Image > Resize - job's a good'n. :wink:

thanks for the info eddie new member put looking to shoot some images of my small collection to put up

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat27
    ... hasnīt time gone so far that pictures in 800 pixels are okay ? I meen i have a 27" monitor in 1920*1200 resolution and a 20 mbit Xdsl connection.
    Peopleīs hardware and connections is getting better fast, 20" moniters i almost given away these days.
    Since that was posted, haven't we moved on so that at least 1024x768 is now OK? 800x600 is tiny on my monitors and they are only 24" jobs. 24" is getting to be standard desktop monitor size and laptops regularly have 1400x1050 or 1680x1050 as standard resolutions.

The pics here are pretty disappointing. It is hard to work with such limiting resolutions. :(

Quote Originally Posted by vbuskirk
    The pics here are pretty disappointing. It is hard to work with such limiting resolutions. :(
    Being here isn't compulsory :wink: .

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

I understand (and pretty much expected this response to my statement). I'm just voicing a different opinion (i.e. not a sin). The hope being that, if more would do the same, we could eventually enter the 21st Century.

I'll let it go now. Thanks for the other [good] aspects of the forum. :thumbright:

Quote Originally Posted by vbuskirk
    I understand (and pretty much expected this response to my statement). I'm just voicing a different opinion (i.e. not a sin). The hope being that, if more would do the same, we could eventually enter the 21st Century.

I'll let it go now. Thanks for the other [good] aspects of the forum. :thumbright:
    You're not voicing a different opinion, you're complaining about the rules you signed up to and accepted when you joined. There are very few rules on this forum but a maximum pixel width of 800 for pictures is one of them. I'm running a resolution of 1680 x 1050 so it wouldn't hurt me to have bigger pics but a lot of people are running 1024 x 768 and huge pictures would mean them having to scroll sideways, which is a real pain.

If you want 21st century, there's always TZ or WUS.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

800 is plenty big enough. It's a watch forum, not a photography forum.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim:
    800 is plenty big enough. It's a watch forum, not a photography forum.

Jim
    Yes but one of the pleasures I get from visiting watch forums is seeing pictures of other peoples watches. So the better the picture the better.

I just joined here. I have to agree with the admin: if the forum software supports resizing images down to the browser's margin limitations, great, but on other forums software apps it is VERY disruptive to view a forum thread page that scrolls every message off the screen just because one post has a wider image.

You don't get to vote on whether someone is reading posts with a handheld, small netbook, or other compact device. It's basic courtesy to respect others viewing limitations.

That's a good first post, welcome ChromeJob!

Jim :wink:

Just a technical note ...

It should be very easy to set any image posted so as in the HTML format of the forum it will always be shown in restricted / scaled-down size (the browser will do that, so no extra effort on the server) and then people that want more can click on the picture in order to open it in a new window/tab in full size - the original image just needs to have (automatically scaled-down) width= and height= attributes !!!

Re: Just a technical note ...

Quote Originally Posted by Catalin
    It should be very easy to set any image posted so as in the HTML format of the forum it will always be shown in restricted / scaled-down size (the browser will do that, so no extra effort on the server) and then people that want more can click on the picture in order to open it in a new window/tab in full size - the original image just needs to have (automatically scaled-down) width= and height= attributes !!!
    The forum software doesn't allow HTML code in posts on security grounds. Allowing HTML makes the forum easy to hack.

Eddie

Re: Just a technical note ...

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    The forum software doesn't allow HTML code in posts on security grounds. Allowing HTML makes the forum easy to hack.

Eddie
    Of course direct HTML code is not a good idea - but that was not what I was saying.

The software for the forum at the moment when <Preview> or <Send> is pressed will check the size of any [img] and reject images too wide (surprisingly it will also reject tall images, even if that does not break the forum formatting on the final page) - but for the accepted images it places some data which basically results on any viewer's browser in HTML like below (actual quote from a post here):

If the code that rejects/accepts the images would instead also add width= and height= (and eventually replace alt="Image" with something like alt="Original image wdith=xxx height=yyy" and the <a href= with a direct link to the picture) the final result will be a forum page which does not break the (good) page formatting yet which can also contain bigger/better images that can be viewed by members which desire so by ether directly clicking on the image (if the <a href= part is automatically set correctly by the posting code) or at least with a right-click on the image -> open in a new tab.

... If the code that rejects/accepts the images would instead also add width= and height= (and eventually replace alt="Image" with something like alt="Original image wdith=xxx height=yyy" and the <a href= with a direct link to the picture) the final result will be a forum page which does not break the (good) page formatting yet which can also contain bigger/better images that can be viewed by members which desire so by ether directly clicking on the image (if the <a href= part is automatically set correctly by the posting code) or at least with a right-click on the image -> open in a new tab.
    HEIGHT and WIDTH values in HTML IMG codes do not change the size of images downloaded the browser, only tell the browser what dimension to display the image at. Browsers rarely size images without a loss in clarity, so the images end up looking crappy. This practice has largely been dropped by professional web designers.

In the same way, some BBS apps will automagically scale large images (based on client browser resolution), but each user's browser will be forced to download the full image. With extreme sizes, this can be a very real problem for those on slower connections, or older computers. (Even on my fast, corporate connection, a post with 5-6 full-size camera images takes quite a while to download and render.) So it's never a good idea to link or embed an image greater than, say, 1500 pixels wide without a clear warning.

This forum's policy of limiting images to 500 pixels wide is fair and reasonable considering the current phpBB software.

You CAN link to larger images using BBCode by surrounding your IMG code with a URL code, no HTML tricks required. Here's an example.

Start with your IMG tag:

|IMG|http://mydomain/mythumbnailimage.jpg|/IMG|

Then wrap it with a link to the larger image:

|URL=http://mydomain/myHUMONGOUSimage.jpg||IMG|http://mydomain/mythumbnailimage.jpg|/IMG||/URL|

Of course, replace the "|" characters with the appropriate "[" and "]" characters. You can also use the editor buttons to insert the codes. Your image can now be clicked to load the larger image ... optionally. As a courtesy you might post a small note stating "Click image to load larger version."

Quote Originally Posted by ChromeJob
    HEIGHT and WIDTH values in HTML IMG codes do not change the size of images downloaded the browser, only tell the browser what dimension to display the image at. Browsers rarely size images without a loss in clarity, so the images end up looking crappy. This practice has largely been dropped by professional web designers.
    I am perfectly aware that the scaling was inside the browser (and if you had read my previous post you would have noted that) - however your idea on how the browsers will scale the image "with loss of clarity" wasn't actually a real problem in the last 5-10 years with any decent browser - and the remark on "professional web designers" has nothing to do with the problem at hand where we are not speaking about a classic web site but instead about user-submitted content.

... however your idea on how the browsers will scale the image "with loss of clarity" wasn't actually a real problem in the last 5-10 years with any decent browser...
    Actually, I still see reduced quality scaling issue regularly using Firefox 3.6.x and Safari. It varies depending on the ratio of scaling, and the quality of the original image.

I provided an easy and effective method of providing a reduced image AND a full size image. Let's stop quibbling and use the methods at hand in this forum's software.

Edit:
    Oh and P.S. I did read your post, you're inquiring if the forum software can be changed to insert HTML sizing information so that larger images won't distort the forum table. I get it. Even if this board's admin had the ability to augment the PHP code to do that, it still wouldn't make it easier for users on low bandwidth (e.g. mobiles) to download ginormous images.

I see myself as a guest here, if the forum owner asks me to abide by a policy, I try to oblige.

cyberface

At the end of the day, it's a privately owned forum and the owner of the forum sets the rules. He who pays for the bandwidth…

However in a case like this I'm more of the opinion that a little effort be put into the forum software to automatically resize linked images on the fly to fit into the boundaries set by the page layout. Not by allowing users to enter their own hand-crafted HTML, since that'd be insane. PHP-based forum code like this is easy enough to hack anyway if you're 1337 as there's always some hole left somewhere, though you'd expect anything run by a watchmaker to have *much* more serious attention to detail ;)

That's beside the point. The point is that the software, when rendering the output page, should interpret an IMG or PIC tag (haven't tried posting a picture yet, and good job I haven't since I usually save 1024x768 for my web server and that, apparently, breaks the rules), and then either send the created HTML to the client with a 'resize' tag to gate the maximum size of any picture, or download the picture from the server, resize it in /tmp and link to that. The latter choice would be both hard on CPU and also slow things down on dead links, so probably not a wise choice.

I'm not a web coder so don't know HTML apart from random hackery but I use enough forums that do exactly this, so it can't be that hard.

I run all my own systems and any picture I post will basically have come from one of my Macs onto a Mac server, where I host them from. If I'm going to have to go though every picture I want to link to on TZ-UK and resize them, then I'm not going to bother apart from cases where the picture *is* the thread - e.g. my project watch build thread (which I haven't started here yet, because I haven't started taking photos yet).

This is both good and bad - good luck in that I haven't started taking Project pics yet (I'll size them to 800 wide for this site, it doesn't cost me much) and hopefully that'll be an interesting thread - and bad luck in the sense that I know I shouldn't link to *any* of my existing photos, e.g. wrist shots of any of my collection of watches.

I'm not going to risk getting banned over the number of pixels in a photo, and I don't have time to resize everything, so if the rules are hard and fast on this one (Eddie?) then I'll simply avoid linking to any of my existing photos. I'll create a new folder on my webserver for pics for this site - and go forward based on the 800 pixel limit.

I'd appreciate it if it was made TUNGSTEN-CORED clear that 800 will remain the limit though since I'll be basing a workflow off this. Not the biggest deal but I'd appreciate it.

I'm not too bothered since I'm running a load of Apple kit with 2560x1600, 1920x1200, 1280x1024 twice and 1280x800 displays, but equally I like my forum browser windows not taking up the entire screen - so I probably size the average browser window to 1280x1024 in reality.

Eddie - are you running the forum code or do you have a techie doing it for you? Sorry to be naive but I'm new here. If you've got a techie doing it for you then presumably he or she is skilled in PHP, and I'm pretty sure your PHPbb software supports the auto-resizing process I'm talking about above...

I'm running free software which is provided "as is". I have neither the skills nor the time to rewrite the code or go looking for third party mods which may or may not work.

I do notice, however, that it's always the new members who want to change what has been running satisfactorily for 8 years :wink: .

Eddie

cyberface

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    I'm running free software which is provided "as is". I have neither the skills nor the time to rewrite the code or go looking for third party mods which may or may not work.

I do notice, however, that it's always the new members who want to change what has been running satisfactorily for 8 years :wink: .

Eddie
    Living up to the reputation Eddie, I was only trying to help out :)

800 it is then for future pictures here. What's the deal for 'accidents' - do you simply censor the picture or ban the user?

The software simply won't allow wider or taller than 800 to be posted. You get a message in red telling you that (if you try).

I've had this in the past when I haven't realised that my re-sized-to-800 wide are actually more than 800 tall.

Jim :)

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cyberface
    Living up to the reputation Eddie,

What's the deal for 'accidents' - do you simply censor the picture or ban the user?
    ulterior motive for joining??????

800 pixels? Oops ... I saw the first post and launched Photoshop (CS2) in a batch resize for me to 500W or 500H maximum, and uploaded to my server. Took about 5 minutes for a couple of dozen photos.

YMMV of course.

That said, sometimes new voices can offer ideas that haven't been presented before. But our host needs someone to actually show him the php code necessary for this board's software, not vague suggestions to go find a techie somewhere to make it work somehow.

Thaks for the up[date, Eddie!

For XP and Vista (it may work for 7, but I dont use that so cannot guarantee it) users there is a small programme called 'Prish Resizer'.

You select the photos you want resized, right click on them and then click on 'Resize with Prish' Click on that then you can choose what size you need.

Personally I then upload mine to Photobucket (http://www.photobucket.com) which also gives you the img link you need to post your pics.

That way it doesn't use loads of the forums bandwidth.

Noted & appreciated, hate netbook browsing larger photos. A small photo + link serve best.

For straightforward, controllable image resizing install the following:

For Windows XP: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... windows-xp (look for 'Image Resizer')

For Windows Vista or 7: http://imageresizer.codeplex.com/ (This is identical to the MS Powertoy, just recoded to work with Vista & 7)

In both cases these utilities add a 'Resize Pictures' option to the right-click (context) menu for a picture.

Regards

Skier

Hi

I noticed that I cant post images in a PM

Is this on purpose?

Or is it something wrong with the BB and ACP settings not configured to allow images in PMs

Cheers

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by glawless
    Hi

I noticed that I cant post images in a PM

Is this on purpose?

Or is it something wrong with the BB and ACP settings not configured to allow images in PMs

Cheers

Gary
    You can post images in PMs in exactly the same way as you can a post on the forum. The image has to be hosted on a server and you use the [img]image%20address[/img] tags in the same way as you would in any forum post. You can't attach an image in a PM.

Eddie

ah....

makes sense

Cheers

Craftsman

I use photo box.
    I started a post on Roamer servicing. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=187152&p=1896018&hilit=roamer# p1896018
    I opened the image in photobox and then went to details and copied to the forum post.
    All works fine untill I take a later look at the thread and the picture has gone ?
    Edit and repost the details and again all works fine for a short while.
    Any ideas?
    Scouter

I had problems with this as well but it's worthwile in reading docs on internet for effective upload

I love (almost) everything about the TZ-UK forums, but want to voice some frustration with the size limits on photos. I realize that I can resize photos, and upload them to be hosted, but with over 7,000 photos on my website, many of the recent ones larger than the maximum size permitted here, it is frustrating to figure out which ones can be uploaded and which ones can't. Also frustrating to be limited to the smaller images, when some are the larger ones are far better. I realize that I can download an image, resize it, then upload it again, but this is not a realistic approach . . . it's cumbersome and to replace larger images on my website with smaller ones is not the direction I want to go.

In view of the size of monitors being used by most readers, and their resolution settings, I wonder whether it might be time to increase the maximum image size?

I will continue to participate, no matter what, but my ability to share interesting images is hugely compromised. My sincere apology if you are tired of hearing about this issue; unless readers voice it, then how are you to know that it is an issue.

Thanks for the outstanding forums!!

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by OnTheDash
    I love (almost) everything about the TZ-UK forums, but want to voice some frustration with the size limits on photos. I realize that I can resize photos, and upload them to be hosted, but with over 7,000 photos on my website, many of the recent ones larger than the maximum size permitted here, it is frustrating to figure out which ones can be uploaded and which ones can't. Also frustrating to be limited to the smaller images, when some are the larger ones are far better. I realize that I can download an image, resize it, then upload it again, but this is not a realistic approach . . . it's cumbersome and to replace larger images on my website with smaller ones is not the direction I want to go.

In view of the size of monitors being used by most readers, and their resolution settings, I wonder whether it might be time to increase the maximum image size?

I will continue to participate, no matter what, but my ability to share interesting images is hugely compromised. My sincere apology if you are tired of hearing about this issue; unless readers voice it, then how are you to know that it is an issue.

Thanks for the outstanding forums!!

Jeff
    And what do you think the maximum image size is?

Eddie

I see some references to 800; the software seems to send me messages / refuse to post with images more than 1,000 pixels wide; this morning, I was trying to use an image (below) on Watch Talk that was exactly 1,000 pixels wide, and I received a error message that "it was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image" . . . . first time that I have received this message . . . seemed puzzing . . . software could not determine the size of the image, and it was not allowing me to include the image.

In any event, the image is shown below; the software allows me to include the image here, but it would not allow me to include it in the new thread that I was trying to start. Oh well.

Jeff

Master

I will continue to participate,
    Jeff
    That's good of you.

Personally I find excessively large images break up the flow of the discussion (max 800 wide is plenty). You can always post a shrunken image and link to the full size on your own site.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67
    I will continue to participate,
    Jeff
    That's good of you.

Personally I find excessively large images break up the flow of the discussion (max 800 wide is plenty). You can always post a shrunken image and link to the full size on your own site.
    Well, I'm glad that my continued participation will have your blessing . . . that means so much to me . . . whoever you are.

Your recommendation to post shrunken images shows that you don't understand the situation. I have around 7,000 fairly well-organized images on a website . . . to shrink a particular photo (or group of photos) for the sake of posting them here is not feasible.

Posting links to photos is just not the same as posting the photos . . . far less effective in illustrating a point, comparing watches, etc.

Jeff

Craftsman

i think i need a bit of help here........

I was trying to stick up some pics of my watches, nout special really, but the 50k limit means I am really struggling to upload them onto a post. Basically when they are small enough they arent worth posting.

Is the limit because of my post count, as I see some cracking images posted on here? or am I doing this all wrong??

Quote Originally Posted by nutjob1234
    i think i need a bit of help here........

I was trying to stick up some pics of my watches, nout special really, but the 50k limit means I am really struggling to upload them onto a post. Basically when they are small enough they arent worth posting.

Is the limit because of my post count, as I see some cracking images posted on here? or am I doing this all wrong??
    It sounds like you are trying to post them as an attachment rather than linking them from an image you already have hosted on your own server. There is a limit on attachments to discourage people from using my disk space and my bandwidth.

Eddie

Blog Entries

I love (almost) everything about the TZ-UK forums, but want to voice some frustration with the size limits on photos. I realize that I can resize photos, and upload them to be hosted, but with over 7,000 photos on my website, many of the recent ones larger than the maximum size permitted here, it is frustrating to figure out which ones can be uploaded and which ones can't. Also frustrating to be limited to the smaller images, when some are the larger ones are far better. I realize that I can download an image, resize it, then upload it again, but this is not a realistic approach
    Why not keep your source files locally and then you can edit and upload them as you require and as and when needed. That's what I do and it works fine.

Indeed, it would be foolish to rely on cloud or online storage (e.g. keeping your files only on your website) without having a copy of your files and website locally. This means you should never need to download a file in order to edit it.

When I want to display images larger than the forum will take I upload a large 'thumbnail' (up to the forum image size limit) which links to the full size image when clicked. It's easy enough to do this when you keep your files locally and edit and upload as and when you need.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon
    I love (almost) everything about the TZ-UK forums, but want to voice some frustration with the size limits on photos. I realize that I can resize photos, and upload them to be hosted, but with over 7,000 photos on my website, many of the recent ones larger than the maximum size permitted here, it is frustrating to figure out which ones can be uploaded and which ones can't. Also frustrating to be limited to the smaller images, when some are the larger ones are far better. I realize that I can download an image, resize it, then upload it again, but this is not a realistic approach
    Why not keep your source files locally and then you can edit and upload them as you require and as and when needed. That's what I do and it works fine.

Indeed, it would be foolish to rely on cloud or online storage (e.g. keeping your files only on your website) without having a copy of your files and website locally. This means you should never need to download a file in order to edit it.

When I want to display images larger than the forum will take I upload a large 'thumbnail' (up to the forum image size limit) which links to the full size image when clicked. It's easy enough to do this when you keep your files locally and edit and upload as and when you need.
    Do you mean to edit and upload to the TZ-UK host or to my own host?

Don't worry, I back up my website on a regular basis; still, the website is the easiest way to find the images that are part of the website.

Thanks for these suggestions.

Jeff

Blog Entries

Do you mean to edit and upload to the TZ-UK host or to my own host?
    I mean to upload to your own hosting provider or website. As Eddie mentioned and as you discovered, there is a small size limit for attachments added directly to TZ-UK posts. The solution is to link to one's own web-accessible pictures.

I don't faff around with one of the picture hosting providers for this: I simply upload to my own website where I have greater control over the image size, bandwidth, etc.

Don't worry, I back up my website on a regular basis
    Good. :-)

still, the website is the easiest way to find the images that are part of the website.
    Note that if you have the files stored locally then that is normally the fastest, easiest and most efficient way to find, manage and edit content. Anything web based is inherently slower than direct local access. The only good reason in general to use online (so called cloud) methods over local ones is for access on the move.