closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oysterquartz .... good idea or not ?

Re: Oysterquartz .... good idea or not ?

I should also add that I'm extremely pleased there hasn't been too much price inflation for Oysterquartz - I'm just fascinated with the reasons it hasn't occurred, in comparison with the rest of the vintage Rolex market.

Quote Originally Posted by spaminacan
    So, why are the prices for Oysterquartzs (relatively) cheap compared to, say, a fairly common Submariner from the same time period?

Consider mine - a 'non-COSC dial' model from the first year of production - rarer than most other all-steel Rolexes, yet by far the cheapest...

I've got a few theories :-)

1. There's a massive WIS premium for 'tool' watches.
    Oysterquartz's went up a mountain, but the styling is in no way 'toolish' - no locking bracelet, no bezel to fiddle with. Although Rolex's period adverts and sponsorship were for Mountaineers, they're not styled as such.

Ironically, Oysterquartz's seem to be tough as nails, as meaty as a Sub, and have as much wrist 'presence' as the sports models.

2. Size anxiety
    It's 36mm. Without seeing one in the steel, it might appear that it's small. It's actually perfect, because of the bracelet. And of course, wrists haven't suddenly expanded in the last 30 years, but tastes have.

3. Quartz bias
    More than enough has been said about this.

4. There's not enough of them to generate an inflating market
    I think this is the most important factor by far - there are simply not enough on the s/h market to allow 'movement' and therefore price inflation.

I've never seen one in Burlington Arcade, for example...

Another side-effect of this is, if people can't see them, they're less likely to develop an interest in buying one - I bought mine without ever seeing one in the flesh ...that's quite a leap of faith.
    I'm sure these are lots of the reasons, and I'm a fan, but two things keep me from buying. The styling, for me, doesn't have the timeless quality of the DJ of the same period - the OQ is of its time I think, which is a good and bad thing. Second, maintenance costs are already quite high by contemporary quartz standards, and one assumes will only go higher. How long will Rolex continue to be able keep them going? Indefinitely? The rest of a typical owner's lifetime and beyond?

I think both of these factors count against the OQ - although they do look relatively increasingly good value, so my guess is that prices will go north - but constrained by the maintenance issue in particular perhaps.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by dickstar1977

I live in the heart of Essex where every Tom, Dick and Harry (and yes I am the only forum member who can say this legitimately) owns a sub or an SM300 Bond.
    Yes, Essex guy here too - virtually all of my mates (non WIS) have Omegas or Rolex Subs. On my morning commute I am surrounded by Rolex and Omega, probably way more that TW Steel or G Shocks.

If you ever thought the steel Daytona was hard to come by, visit Essex. I know plenty of guys (and girls) who have a Daytona as a daily beater.

Quote Originally Posted by simoscribbler
    The styling, for me, doesn't have the timeless quality of the DJ of the same period - the OQ is of its time I think, which is a good and bad thing.
    Actually, I do think it's a pretty timeless case design, especially compared to say, the unmistakeable 70s designs of Omega. 70s Omegas are great (I have a lovely yellow minute tracked Seamaster), but they're all over the place compared to the relative connective design of Rolex.

The Royal Oak would seem to have been the Oysterquartz's main 'inspiration' (ahem), and I think the Royal Oak looks just as fresh a design today, as it was in the 1970s - one could possibly argue that the lineage of the casing makes it all the way to Hublot - but that's a point I don't feel qualified to sustain :)

Quote Originally Posted by simoscribbler
    maintenance costs are already quite high by contemporary quartz standards, and one assumes will only go higher. How long will Rolex continue to be able keep them going? Indefinitely? The rest of a typical owner's lifetime and beyond?
    That's an interesting point – I hadn't considered that when I bought mine. I just assumed *all* Rolexes cost a bloody bomb to service, and Rolex have a spare parts policy for er, 20 yrs after last production?

I think Oysterquartzes (assuming all is well), need a service interval far less often (10ys?) than their mechanical equivalent, so maybe they're actually cheaper (again, assuming all begin well)?

Banned
    Blog Entries

[
    I think Oysterquartzes (assuming all is well), need a service interval far less often (10ys?) than their mechanical equivalent, so maybe they're actually cheaper (again, assuming all begin well)?

It is the exception to the rule.
    The pallet fork and - wheel that convert the reciprocal movement of the stepper motor into a rotational one, need service just like a mechanical watch. It just does not affect the accuracy so 5 years should be ok.
    When all was kept regularly maintained the service should be cheaper yes. The gearbox should not need more attention than once in 15-20 maybe more even, years.
    The Oysterquartz needs only minimal service but is does need attention to the pallet fork and -wheel.
    The problem is when the OQ is seen as the GP design and first serviced after 20 or more years. Thén most likely fork and wheel will need be redressed/replaced and if the timing is adjusted possible the electronics module too. As explained in this topic earlier.
    If I were given an OQ, I would have a master watchmaker redress the pallet assy and lubricate the gear box and not toutch the rest.
    If the engine were to be broken/break i would swap it with a conventional quartz engine and take the time to sort the original befóre throwing money at it and having the lot replaced by Rolex.

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla
    If I were given an OQ, I would have a master watchmaker redress the pallet assy and lubricate the gear box and not toutch the rest.
    If the engine were to be broken/break i would swap it with a conventional quartz engine and take the time to sort the original befóre throwing money at it and having the lot replaced by Rolex.
    Excellent advice (as with all things Quartz), thanks.

I'd like to act on this advice, and avoid a Rolex service. I've reached out to williamricewatches.com, and waiting for a reply and likely costs. Anyone Oysterquartz owners had a good experience with an independent service?

Master

I have mixed feelings about the OQ. I had one for about a year and slowly fell out of love with it for various reasons. Personally I am not a fan of the movement, its a crazy design, as our Iberian friend has discussed they used a lot of the bits Rolex use in their auto movements with a totally unique quartz module, its almost like the worst of all worlds. The 2 things I remember about it and could never forget are the incredibly loud click like a quartz wall clock and the heft. I owned an SD at the same time and weighed both, the OQ was 20g lighter so very heavy and solid for what it is, especially compared to oyster case models paired with a jubilee bracelet. The styling also eventually left me cold as they took inspiration from the Genta designs but softened it into a Rolex form that looks like a bit of a mongrel to me. Still though it is an interesting piece, very solid and useable.

Quote Originally Posted by NJH
    .... The 2 things I remember about it and could never forget are the incredibly loud click like a quartz wall clock and the heft.
    You surprise me on the click comment: SWMBO wears one and hasn’t ever spoken about it and she’s got acute hearing - I was banned from wearing my X-33 to bed on account of the loudness of that!

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Surely its time for decent modern quartz OQ homage...?

Banned

What's a fair price for a full on B&P mint OQ in steel ?
    Blowers have one at £2950 ... Which sounds a bit rich, but might me negotiable ?..

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy
    Quote Originally Posted by NJH
    .... The 2 things I remember about it and could never forget are the incredibly loud click like a quartz wall clock and the heft.
    You surprise me on the click comment: SWMBO wears one and hasn’t ever spoken about it and she’s got acute hearing - I was banned from wearing my X-33 to bed on account of the loudness of that!

R
    Your surprise is the surprise actually as ´the tick´ of the OQ is mythical.
    You can even find it on youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by Gastro
    Blowers have one at £2950 ... Which sounds a bit rich, but might me negotiable ?..

I bought this very watch yesterday. The price reflected the sevice just carried out by Rolex which cost .......wait for it.........£1200
    That said the watch is now like brand new.

There's one in a dealer's window in Brighton at £2950 - not sure if this includes B&P. Probably the going rate for a bricks and mortar establishment but I'm sure some negotiation would be possible on most used watches.

eBay prices are lower from private sellers but you are inevitably taking a punt which could turn out to be a costly mistake. I got lucky with mine but it was definitley a punt as the description was very limited. Turned out to be a first owner cracker with b&p and the original purchase receipt (£1310 in 1991!)

Quote Originally Posted by chez
    I bought this very watch yesterday. The price reflected the sevice just carried out by Rolex which cost .......wait for it.........£1200
    Good Grief. Do you have details of what the service included?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Banned
    Blog Entries

Here is an example of Rolex´s other quartz.
    It is a fár better caliber: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLwo8a9V ... ure=fvwrel
    Please compare it to the PP and Poljot.
    It is the same, with nice covers added.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Plake
    There's one in a dealer's window in Brighton at £2950
    Seems a bit high, even for a dealer!

That said OQ prices are starting to rally - I picked this up for exactly £1,000 5 years ago, now you wouldn't get one that wasn't working for that.

Banned

Darn and blast it ! It did look lovely though 8)

Darn and blast it ! It did look lovely though 8)
    They gave me a copy of the invoice

Rolex Datejust service. 333.33
    Electronic module. 280.00
    Motor. 460.00
    VAT. 214.67
    Total. 1288.00

Fingers crossed that should last another 25 years.

Motor. 460.00
    VAT. 214.67
    Total. 1288.00

Ok, so for a service, it's £400 (incl. VAT)...yours would appear to have most of it's guts replaced as well. £400 for a service is still bloody crazy, but still.

That 'probably just needs a battery replacement' OQ on ebay isn't looking like it's worth the gamble now :)

Banned
    Blog Entries

Motor. 460.00
    VAT. 214.67
    Total. 1288.00

By Jove that is scary....
    You know that this ´motor´ is just a coil and a ´switched´ piece of metal?
    Even simpler than http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Hy8aK-6 ... re=related

Banned
    Blog Entries

That 'probably just needs a battery replacement' OQ on ebay isn't looking like it's worth the gamble now :)
    It is, if the price is reflecting the Rolex service/repair cost.

Thén you can drop a Poljot or so in and tkae your time to get the Rolex engine sorted if you would want to.
    Personally I would wear it with the more conventional engine and save the repaired original for prosperity.
    The purist might want to source a 6620.

Master

Rolex can only hope that they can do quartz like Seiko IMO...

IMHO you should stick to a Grand Seiko or Citizen Campanola :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    If anyone is going to buy an Oysterquartz for high accuracy alone then it is going to disappoint.
    Rolex can only hope that they can do quartz like Seiko IMO...

IMHO you should stick to a Grand Seiko or Citizen Campanola :wink:
    I'm on my second 17014 OQ which I had serviced at Rolex UK in Dec '11. It's a newer 2001 serial meaning it's also one of the very last made.

I sync'd it with an atomic digital Seiko on May 15th. Today (10 weeks later) it has lost no more than 0.5 secs! That's the same accuracy as a Grand Seiko/Citizen Chronomaster. Hope it keeps up this accuracy!
    Last edited by asimH; 23rd July 2012 at 11:21.

Got a 1987 white/silver dialed 17000 from the SC here in May after chasing one for a long time and have really grown quite fond of it. The fact that I was able to (very painstakingly) regulate it to - 2spy at room temperature probably doesn't hurt. The analog thermocompensation it uses is not too shabby with a +30 spy variation when worn and +80 spy when placed on a warm router at all times. That's about what you get with a 262Khz high frequency quartz these days.

Since I'm a sucker for TT I might pick up a 17013 if the occasion arrises...oh and a 17014 with a black dial would be nice too ;-)

As for the ticking, yes it's LOUD, although whether it's louder than the ticking of the Omega 2.4Mhz MQ is open to debate, let's see if I can measure them with a dB app on my iphone ;-)
    Last edited by webvan; 23rd July 2012 at 11:52.

Am I alone in loving the styling of the OQ and the most hairy-chested Rolex ever, the Root-Beer GMT?

These both seem to be an acquired taste, but I've had 30 years to acquire it and I have to say I prefer the designs to modern DJ II's and Leopard Daytonas etc. The whole Rolex market seems to be hung up on myriad variations of similar watches which have now reached pretty crazy prices. I'm all for something different actually, and hope the parts are available to keep these ticking for years to come.
    And now I really want a steel OQ (again) thanks to this thread. Do you have to wear a beard/moustache to wear one as I'm not particularly hairy??!!

Master
    I had one and it was by far the most accurate watch I've ever owned. I'd swap my speedy for one any time.

Go For It

Maybe the best watch I bought around here ( SC ). Mine came from Sweden with all papers and boxes.
    Last service at William Rice, cost me 320,0 GBP.
    Love it, confortable, accurate and different from the rest.
    "The OQ was produced between 1977 and 2001 and the total output over the whole of those 24 years is less than 25,000 watches".
    Therefore you are buying a special and rare watch. Prices will go up for sure in the near future ( if we are still around here !!. ).
    Yes, go for it.

I think I remember it from earlier this year, white/silver 17000 too?

Why did you have it serviced? Peace of mind or was it acting up? I showed mine to a Rolex watchmaker the other day (needed an extra link fitted) and he thought it looked quite good so I'll defer servicing it for now.

Quote Originally Posted by webvan View Post
    As for the ticking, yes it's LOUD, although whether it's louder than the ticking of the Omega 2.4Mhz MQ is open to debate, let's see if I can measure them with a dB app on my iphone ;-)
    Numbers are in :
    OQ : 71 dB / 76 dB
    MQ 2.4 Mhz : 74 dB / 80 dB
    SMP300 : 57 dB / 57 dB

First number : with iPhone mic (from headset) on the glass
    Second number : with iPhone mic on the back

So a slight advantage for the MQ 2.4Mhz but both are VERY loud compared to a "normal" quartz watch ;-)
    Last edited by webvan; 23rd July 2012 at 23:12.

Master
    To put that into context my race car is 89 dB using the approved MSA method. Most road cars these days are much quieter. OK that watch may be 80dB if you put it next to your ear but for what it is that is unbelievably loud. I could easily hear my OQ across a room for example.

Yes I should have clarified that the numbers should probably not be looked at in absolute value (calibration, microphone used, etc...) but they should do the job one watch relative to the other.

Hi all, new to this forum.
    Recently im attracted to the OQ as well and trying to look for one for collection.
    There is however one question that i would like to verify.
    Does the "T swiss T" at the 6 o-clock dial means that it is the very original dial (Mark 1)? What about the "Swiss made" ones? Does it mean that the dial had been changed before if the watch was produced in the 1979 - 1980s?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by fluegas View Post
    Hi all, new to this forum.
    Recently im attracted to the OQ as well and trying to look for one for collection.
    There is however one question that i would like to verify.
    Does the "T swiss T" at the 6 o-clock dial means that it is the very original dial (Mark 1)? What about the "Swiss made" ones? Does it mean that the dial had been changed before if the watch was produced in the 1979 - 1980s?
    Five years late to this party -- but, what the hell . . . . .

I have had my 17000 for thirty years now. It has been my beater all that time, and has proved remarkably robust through all manner of silly activities (including skiing and motorsport "adventures"). It may not be the most accurate quartz movement, but it is, of course, an order of magnitude better than any automatic. And, naturally, it's "grab and go".
    IIRC "T swiss T" is the designation they used for tritium lume, nothing more significant.
    Mine has needed service once; last year. It took about ten weeks and cost a smidge over £500. However, Rolex decided that the crystal was cracked an needed replacing, though neither I nor the receiving AD had noticed. I think that took the bill up from around £350 to the sum I paid. In praise of Rolex, though, the watch was remarkably unscathed before service, but came back looking just like new.
    HTH.

Here hoping for the day Rolex revives the Oysterquartz..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Yokel View Post
    Five years late to this party -- but, what the hell . . . . .

It may not be the most accurate quartz movement, but it is, of course, an order of magnitude better than any automatic. And, naturally, it's "grab and go".
    It may not be up to current 5-10 secs per year thermo-compensated standards, but it's still way better than your average 10 sec / month standard quartz. I think mine's keeping to the 30 secs/year specs, not bad for the vintage and it only really gets adjusted twice a year when the clocks change.

Quote Originally Posted by Lostintime View Post
    Right about when they reduce case sizes and prices, in the land of make believe...

It would be bigger and not as nice to look at as the older models.
    F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    I'd be thrilled to see that, too - I wonder if it were woth their while. Let's see ...
    1. Since they can service the old QO, they must still have some know-how. And they have just partnered with Breitling who know TC HAQ.
    2. However, they couldn't just use an existing Breitling one, they'd have to at least partially develop a new movement, which wouldn't be cheap consequently hard to break even with such a niche product. As a result, a super-limited series for die-hard fans is out of the question.
    3. Everybody always says how they don't sell many models such as Milgausses and Air Kings, so they are not solely volume-driven.
    4. If they charged the same as for their mechanical steel sports, they could have a hard time shifting them. If not, OQ wouldn't carry the same prestige and could even be thought as something of a "budget Rolex", which hurts the brand as a whole and they wouldn't dream of risking that.
    5. Quartz has a bad/cheap reputation among the general public so they'd have to market it very carefully. Maybe the Genta connection and the desire for historical authenticity could be of help here.
    6. Enthusiasts could accuse them that they got scared of Grand Seiko and are trying to compete/catch up with them.
    7. They'd have to train all their ADs to change the battery unless they made the movement to have very low energy consumption and battery replacement would be part of the service 5/7/10-year service.

Well, as much as I'd love to see them revive it, the smart money is wholly on "no" it seems.

Hey if Grand Seiko, Citizen, Omega and Breitling get away with it...Why not Rolex?

Rolex was very committed to the development of the Oysterquartz at least until the mid to late 1980s.

I would venture to say that if we ever see a modern Rolex quartz it will come up first under the Tudor brand.

Some interesting facts about the Rolex Oysterquartz...

1) The caliber 5035 (DateJust Oysterquartz) and 5055 (Day/date Oysterquartz) took 5 years to develop beginning in 1972.

2) It was offered over a 25 year production run.

3) 25,000 Oysterquartz pieces were ever made, which works out to an annual output of just 1,000 watches.

4) The year 2001 was the last time Rolex applied for quartz COSC certification. Some Oysterquartz variants remained in the sales catalogue until about 2003.

5) the precursor to the Oysterquartz was the Rolex 5100 date powered by the Beta 21 quartz movement.

Oysterquartz .... good idea or not ?

http://www.oysterquartz.net/the_oysterquartz_pc.htm

They did make a new movement, featuring a perpetual calendar, and a 10 year battery life*.

They just didn’t put it on sale.

I’d fancy an original one, were it not for the fact that the ‘tick’ is too loud for me.

*claimed in article

Just lovely...

Master
    I had one in my hands today. Love the case and bracelet; very tempted to pull the trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NickRed71 View Post
    I had one in my hands today. Love the case and bracelet; very tempted to pull the trigger.

Do it! They're great.

The Mrs stole my 17300 years ago and I would love to get another for myself.

Craftsman
    I am a big fan, I love servicing them.
    Word of advise though, don't get just anyone to do the battery changes, find a watchmaker to do it.
    Of all the ones I get to service the ones that need lots of parts are all marked up and damaged from poor battery changes.
    The ones that need no parts are the ones that have been looked after and had professional battery changes.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by NickRed71 View Post

I’d be all over it if I could afford one! What an awesome looking Watch and I’d be waiting for the day someone told me “it’s fake coz real rollies don’t tick bruh”

Craftsman
    I have always fancied one of these, but the servicing costs put me off. As I remember a few members have had large bills when replacement parts have been required.
    Last edited by tsunami; 22nd February 2018 at 14:23. Reason: Just looked back through the thread and this confirms my fears :(

Craftsman
    But regularly serviced and having batteries done by decent people really does cut the on going costs down massively.

Plus who hasn't sent a Rolex to Rolex and got a big bill?

I must say that this watch definitely has something "special" and now that I've put a new battery in it (not an easy change indeed) I think I won't put it back in the safe ;-) A very wearable vintage HAQ !