closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: One Perspective on the Dreadnought

One Perspective on the Dreadnought

An increasingly rare occurence yesterday (the posting of a Dreadnought for sale) got me thinking about the watch. It is, in my opinion, virtually unique in so many ways that it doesn't get credit for it all.

As a watch, it is a formidable piece that spawned a cottage industry of clones, near clones, and homages. It is BIG, 44mm with that titanic 54mm lug-to-lug spread, heavy, solid, and feels bullet proof. The dial is the epitome of 'less is more', and may be rivaled only by the EZM1 for simple easy to read functionality. The bezel reads easily, too, and turns smoothly under all circumstances with its wide-spaced geartooth edge. The massive Fricker case with integral crown guards also lends itself to the distinctive design. And the use of those ploprof hands (before the myriad of copycats) ensured that the actual time, or elapsed time, would be a cinch to see at just a glance. Often overlooked, though, is the close attention paid to the heart of the watch: each one regulated - blessed, really - by Dornbluth. As an example of this wonderful attention to detail, the DN I personally owned ran +1 second a day vs NIST - an error rate of roughly 1 in 100,000. So it excelled in its primary purpose, of serving as a rugged diver's watch.

But it also blazed another trail - it proved that there was a market for small run, niche watches that catered to a specific group. In order to do so, it had to be visionary (ok, its creator had to be visionary). The size was very unusual in its day - in 2003 most folks still considered the Sea Dweller to be a big watch, and thought the Aquatimer at 42mm a bit outre. The use of the iconic ploprof handset is another nod to the WIS it was aimed at. There are so many features it has which are now commonplace - but which were practically unknown at its inception, that its hard to remember pre-DN sensibilities. The cool 'lumpy' style bracelet, now ubiquitous; that Fricker case, used by the dozen now; as noted, the ploprof hands that previously inhabited only the rarified ugly-diver world; and, the neat engraved back harkening to the HMS Dreadnought. Most of all, the price it was released at! Its production proved that a very high quality watch, with all the bells 'n' whistles, could be brought to market at an affordable price. What a stroke of genius, there. Sure, a limited edition of 200 units made it highly desired, but the value versus cost cemented it as a viable idea. The price did not, though, create the near mythic status it has since attained. The design and quality gets the credit for that.

It seems to me that nearly every 'micro-brand' in existence today - especially since virtually every one them seems to focus on dive watches - owes its life to the Dreadnought. It was sui generis and still carries an aura unlike anything to be made since. I wish i had the cash to grab the one for sale, if only to have a daily reminder of what a great event it's birth was for the world of WIS.

Re: One Perspective on the Dreadnought

I've wanted one of these. Where for sale was it? I can't find it!!! :? :cry:

I love them. I had two at the same time and would have kept them both but must admit keeping two of such a limited run felt a little wrong.

Mine is an all time keeper.
    It's just a matter of time...

Sorry for that oversight - its on Timezone and MWR. I'm unaffiliated with the seller, although I wish I was his buyer!

Really good write-up, appreciate the effort :)

Quote Originally Posted by WingTsun
    Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry
    Really good write-up, appreciate the effort :)
    +1. Some good points and an interesting read.

+1 have another one, the thing that drew me to this forum was that very watch, I hope that I will be able to have one my wrist at some point in time.

Master

The Dreadnought is a fantastic Watch and I love mine .

It really was ahead of the game in so many ways .

The Seller of this particular Dreadnought is also in NY and a Gentleman that I can vouch for completely should anyone be interested in his watch .

Cheers,
    Vic :)

Is this the For Sale post?

:?

Quote Originally Posted by jason recliner
    Is this the For Sale post?

:?

No, although the seller is a member here.... And as Vic says, a top guy, I can vouch for him too.....
    Cheers..
    Jase

An interesting read there. The last one on SC here was in January and was up for £1300, @ £250 less than the one discussed here. I'm sure they have gone for more than that but I can't recall what they topped out at.
    F.T.F.A.

Master

Seem to remember trading my one against a Rolex GMT with the Dreadnought trade value at about £2k. :shock:

They seemed to settle around £1250 for a while, but certainly a few changed hands at £2k.

Master

But it also blazed another trail - it proved that there was a market for small run, niche watches that catered to a specific group. In order to do so, it had to be visionary (ok, its creator had to be visionary).
    There was a thread a while ago along the lines of the most important watch of the last decade, and my suggestion was the Dreadnought for pretty much these reasons. It was arguably a market whose time had come, but the Dreadnought played a significant role in establishing it.

The last one I recall was US$1600-1800, maybe 8-12 months ago (on WUS). US$2,500 is some serious appreciation.

Banned
    Blog Entries

About perspective; any girl spotted with a Dreadnought yet :?:

Btw; Super Dreadnought Girl exists :albino:

Quote Originally Posted by jason recliner
    The last one I recall was US$1600-1800, maybe 8-12 months ago (on WUS). US$2,500 is some serious appreciation.
    Really? As low as US$1600- that is seriously cheap for such a watch. US$2500 doesn't sound crazy money, what is that in real terms around £1500?

Blog Entries

The seller is an above board guy well known to many so no probs there however by the time this gets across the pond and HMRC get involved well on its way to the 2K mark :shock: last one the forum was around the £1300.00 mark?
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Quote Originally Posted by mart broad
    The seller is an above board guy well known to many so no probs there however by the time this gets across the pond and HMRC get involved well on its way to the 2K mark :shock: last one the forum was around the £1300.00 mark?
    £2k just sounds a little too high - although these were selling occasionally for around £1100-£1200 when a Sub 14060 was not much more than £2k!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WingTsun
    I didn't see a Dread for sale. Where was that? :scratch:
    It's on 3T. I mentioned it (but didn't link to it) at viewtopic.php?f=1&t=221411.

**edit**
    On 3T amongst other places, it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla
    About perspective; any girl spotted with a Dreadnought yet :?:

Btw; Super Dreadnought Girl exists :albino:

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master

Is that the lady who does sit ups on the punching bag Ralphy? You should probably post that up again, for the guys who haven't seen it of course... :)

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic
    Quote Originally Posted by mart broad
    £2k just sounds a little too high - although these were selling occasionally for around £1100-£1200 when a Sub 14060 was not much more than £2k!
    In the words of El Condor Pasa....

I'd rather have a Dreadnought than a Sub.
    Yes I would.
    If I could,
    I surely would.

I'd rather have a hammer than a nail.
    Yes I would.
    If I only could,
    I surely would.

Away, I'd rather sail away
    Like a swan that's here and gone
    Than wear a Sub
    that gives the earth
    It's commonest look,
    It's commonest look.

I'd rather have a forest than a twig.
    Yes I would.
    If I could,
    I surely would.

With apologies to Simon & Garfunkel, (Oh, and anyone who wears a sub and hasn't got a Dread :wink: :lol: )

Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.