closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: seamaster help please

Master

seamaster help please

i have a seamaster chrono witch i like alot and am thicking about buying a seamaster pro quarzt on rubber as an alternative it wil be a third watch and worn no more then twice a month. if i pull the crown will this stop the movement and save the battery

Master
    There is a debate about whether pulling the crown actually saves the battery or not. Just because the hands aren't moving doesn't necessarily mean that there still isn't a draw on the battery. Besides, when you pull the crown out you may expose the case to the atmosphere and potential problems like condensation.

Master
    thanks for that if anyone can shed more light i will be gratefull :lol:

In the manual for my 8F56 Seiko Perpetual Calendar it recommends pulling out the crown to stop the movement if the watch isn't being worn for an extended period. I have to admit I've not really bothered, as its useful having the thing saying the right time/date when I want a "pick up and go" watch. I'd personally suggest wearing it more often and not worrying about it :)

Master
    If you're going to pull the crown and stop the watch, why not buy the automatic version? One of the primary benefits of a quartz is that it's always "ready to go".

Kevin

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by r1ch
    I have to admit I've not really bothered, as its useful having the thing saying the right time/date when I want a "pick up and go" watch. I'd personally suggest wearing it more often and not worrying about it :)
    Yep.

Master
    If you pull the crown, the drain on the battery is less because the tiny motor(s) that drives the hands no longer operates. It leaves only the chip current to drain the battery. The price of batteries being what it is, the cost advantage is moot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronda
    Power saving mechanism (pull stem out): Reduction of consumption approximately 70%
    Quote is from their 715 movement data.

AFIK, the stem on most watches remains sealed at least partially when the crown is pulled. But even so, condensation needs moist air to somehow get into the watch case and then quite a temperature drop to actually cause internal condensation. Most watches of any worth are not stored under such conditions.

My workbench is in my garage where the humidity is normally above 85% and the temperature swings 20 to 30 degs F between day and night. I have never seen condensation on any watches in there or any brought into the air-conditioned house either.

I won't bore you with how condensation occurs, but my though is that watch cases are small relative to vehicles which do show some external condensation (but rarely internal) when the humidity is really high. With a large metal object and therefore a high thermal capacity, the surface temperature lags significantly behind that of the atmosphere as night turns to day.

cheers,

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA
    If you pull the crown, the drain on the battery is less because the tiny motor(s) that drives the hands no longer operates. It leaves only the chip current to drain the battery. The price of batteries being what it is, the cost advantage is moot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronda
    Power saving mechanism (pull stem out): Reduction of consumption approximately 70%
    Quote is from their 715 movement data.

AFIK, the stem on most watches remains sealed at least partially when the crown is pulled. But even so, condensation needs moist air to somehow get into the watch case and then quite a temperature drop to actually cause internal condensation. Most watches of any worth are not stored under such conditions.

My workbench is in my garage where the humidity is normally above 85% and the temperature swings 20 to 30 degs F between day and night. I have never seen condensation on any watches in there or any brought into the air-conditioned house either.

I won't bore you with how condensation occurs, but my though is that watch cases are small relative to vehicles which do show some external condensation (but rarely internal) when the humidity is really high. With a large metal object and therefore a high thermal capacity, the surface temperature lags significantly behind that of the atmosphere as night turns to day.

cheers,
    : :D D thats what i wanted to know thanks alot the reason i will go battery is the amount of times it will be worn 1 or 2 times a month max so cost is an issue for this one thanks for your comments