Re: 360.000 bph Smith on ebay

1/100 of a minute.

Banned
    Blog Entries

My mistake.

Rather odd though.
    Decimal seconds, 100 in a minute. :?
    From a country that stíll hasn´t gone decimal for anything else .....

Serves me right. I should stick to 0.01 sec. soviet ones.

The 1/100th (decimal minute) unit was mostly used in time / motion / work studies...

Banned
    Blog Entries

Thanks.

I knew the decimal minute was French revolutionary time and in astronomy the whole lot is decimal, called Julian time.
    The only time I encountered it in real life was for billing of machine time.

Interesting piece if not for the technology as it would have been at 50 Hrz.

Yes - looks bog-standard flyback stopwatch. I was a qualified work-study engineer at one time (many moons ago) and these things were kicking about everywhere! Soon replaced with digital ones that not only recorded the last ten flyback times (so you could catch up if you'd chosed your elements badly or the worker suddenly went into overdrive) but also kept an accurate record of elapsed time. Timing errors on studies suddenly vanished.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by simes
    Yes - looks bog-standard flyback stopwatch. I was a qualified work-study engineer at one time (many moons ago) and these things were kicking about everywhere! Soon replaced with digital ones that not only recorded the last ten flyback times (so you could catch up if you'd chosed your elements badly or the worker suddenly went into overdrive) but also kept an accurate record of elapsed time. Timing errors on studies suddenly vanished.
    Ah, but thóse actually kept 1/100th of a secónd :D and noth decimal minutes afaik.

Once the qc oscilator circuit was invented/sorted out, 1/1.000th or even 100.000th is just a matter of a high frequency qc and changing the deviding logic as a solid state display can inequivocably ´print´ it. A split second display delay is a non-issue. The limiting factor being the triggering sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla
    Ah, but thóse actually kept 1/100th of a secónd :D and noth decimal minutes afaik.

Once the qc oscilator circuit was invented/sorted out, 1/1.000th or even 100.000th is just a matter of a high frequency qc and changing the deviding logic as a solid state display can inequivocably ´print´ it. A split second display delay is a non-issue. The limiting factor being the triggering sensor.
    No - decimal minute digital stopwatches were (and probably still are) what was used - it makes adding up the times a lot easier!

Journeyman

I have a Seiko 6139-7002 with metric seconds marked for the Chrono:

From what I could find out they'd make the addition of multiple parts of a minute much more straightforward...and were popular with scientists, engineers and rally drivers. They sort of went out the window when we all got computers.

Master

No - decimal minute digital stopwatches were (and probably still are) what was used - it makes adding up the times a lot easier!
    The USAF used to use decimal hours for logbook totals, I don't know if they still do but in the RAF we rounded to 5 minute increments for documentation.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by axb
    From what I could find out they'd make the addition of multiple parts of a minute much more straightforward....
    Sure they do. That is why astronomy and other sciences have the ´Julian´ day, deviding 24 hours in decimal fractions.

Outside of that it makes only comparative sense when the rest is using it too.
    Like for sports (ralley) it serves no practical purpose.

For individual observations, the scale is of no importance as long as the observer knows what it means:

Artillery distance

Sonar distance in ´cables´:

Bottom line is that it is interesting but not much of a horlogic challenge.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I would sure like to see an example. I am not doubting you; I just do not know about them.
    The deviding table (counting down from the qc frequency) used interest me very much too.

As a matter of interest:
    Swatch in ´98 introduced watches with a decimal time called Swatch Internet Time, which divides the day into 1000 beats counted from 000–999, with @000 being midnight and @500 being noon CET (UTC +1).

I would sure like to see an example. I am not doubting you; I just do not know about them.
    The deviding table (counting down from the qc frequency) used interest me very much too.
    I may possibly still have mine somewhere - if I ever fall over it I'll send you details! It was quite expensive at the time - IIRC just under £100.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I may possibly still have mine somewhere - if I ever fall over it I'll send you details! It was quite expensive at the time - IIRC just under £100.
    Looking forward to it.

You can still buy them - e.g. here

Banned
    Blog Entries

Thank you Sir :!:

VERY interesting.
    Not complicated horology ofcourse as it is a simple zero shifting of the basic 1/100th decimal increments of a second but still a 8) timer in our hexa-decimal world of wis-dom.

VERY interesting.
    Not complicated horology ofcourse as it is a simple zero shifting of the basic 1/100th decimal increments of a second but still a 8) timer in our hexa-decimal world of wis-dom.
    Now Hex time would be interesting...

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard

VERY interesting.
    Now Hex time would be interesting...
    It is.
    Like a true binairy watch.
    It also illustrates that a digital display is straightforward and even more so in decimal time, whereas analogue hands each pointing at their respective scales present both a puzzle ánd parallax error, invoking compound human error, whatever the divison system.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Hexa-decimal minute

Hexa-decimal minute

We are obviously speaking a different language. Hex is base 16.